[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: music you don't understand the appeal of at all Mine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
ITT: music you don't understand the appeal of at all

Mine has to be pic related- it's like someone set out to make the cheesiest possible rock and succeeded beyond their wildest expectations
>>
>>60305336
The Ramones. All their songs sounds exactly the same. 3 chords poorly played again and again. I know many amateur bands with 15 years kids playing who can do it better.
>>
>>60305336
I would agree with any DT post-1999, but Images & Words is objectively a canonical classic.

People who like their modern stuff just tend to be the kind of people who are easily impressed by odd signatures and long songs and don't really think much past that (and then proceed to think they have "enlightened" taste because of it)

>>60306266
They're only significant in context.
>>
Wilco, Ben Carson has more personality and energy. A bunch of moderately talented artists playing normal sounding music with a few odd melodies thrown in here and there. Overrated as shit.
>>
>>60305336
I used to be a lot into Scenes from a Memory and Octavarium. I really liked the instrumentals, I didn't care much about the lyrics. Images and Words and Awake have a different sound. its as if Yanni and a metal band decided to make an album which I find interesting. those albums are better than everything else they have released imo.

>>60306266
its pop music you can bob your head to
>>
>>60305336

it's sorta fun listening to them, but yeah, wtf with the keyboards?
>>
>>60306437
This.

I can get past the wank Petrucci puts on the table, but Rudess fucking ruins the band.
>>
>>60306634
Moore > Rudess
>>
>>60306308
>People who like their modern stuff just tend to be the kind of people who are easily impressed by odd signatures and long songs and don't really think much past that (and then proceed to think they have "enlightened" taste because of it)

Broad strokes and all, I get that, but I don't know anon. They're last two albums were pretty decent, nothing really amazing mind you, but passable. Musical complexity and technicality and long songs had nothing to do with it either. In fact, they're not even that complex musically all things considered.
>>
>>60306417
awake and images and words are beautiful albums.
>>
U2. All their songs sounds exactly the same. 3 chords poorly played again and again. I know many amateur bands with 15 years kids playing who can do it better.
Seriously, what's the appeal of "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH" over some shitty power chords?
>>
>>60306648
Moore was the best member of the band. Space-Dye Vest is one of the best songs on any Dream Theater album and the rest of them didn't even write any of it.

His lyrics weren't cheesy, they were interesting and strangely personal. His music was all about fusion and dreamy suspensions even through melodic lines, like Wait for Sleep.

Unfortunately, he was also kind of a pretentious bastard, while people like Petrucci and Portnoy are pretty much clueless nerds who think they're being deep when they write about 101 level philosophy.

Dream Theater is a band undone by their own bombast.
>>
death grips and john coltrane
>>
>>60306719
I agree, as in, they weren't specifically bad. But they weren't good either. I gained nothing by listening to them.
>>
>>60305336
Daft Punk
>RAM memories was complete garbage
>everything they've released is really boring
>everyone plays it in social gatherings
>normies everywhere
>>
File: 1441686279239.jpg (145 KB, 670x424) Image search: [Google]
1441686279239.jpg
145 KB, 670x424
le ebin meme senpai xD
>>
>Implying "Cheesiness" isn't just a pretty way of presenting your dislike for something with some kind of undeserved absolute authority.
>Any sentiment being "objective".
>>
DIIV
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.