[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone who earnestly thinks The Epic is a great album and not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: 5054429000207.jpg (882 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
5054429000207.jpg
882 KB, 1400x1400
Anyone who earnestly thinks The Epic is a great album and not overrated does not take Jazz seriously. It's incredibly derivative of past styles including Funk and especially Spiritual Jazz while the players are relatively amateur compared to other professional jazz musicians, often not playing off of each other well and Kamasi in particular playing stale solos with only a few ideas being used ad nauseum. Thinking this album is a great Jazz record is as bad as thinking Sunbather is a great Black Metal record.
>>
>>60283043
wow. you really won me over with all the tight arguments and extensive examples

I can tell that you must really be somebody who takes jazz seriously. Do you have an email address where I can reach you in the future so I can make sure I'm not enjoying any music that is actually bad?
>>
>>60283127
I'm a person who can see through bullshit.

What do you know about Jazz?
>>
>>60283202
Let's both post an improvise solo over Autumn Leaves and see who's is better. You can go first.
>>
>>60283273
That's irrelevant to The Epic and your understanding of its quality.
>>
>>60283327
lol but it is obviously relevant to your questioning of what I know about jazz. Unfortunately for you I am also very gifted when it comes to seeing through bullshit. I actually think the epic is pretty bad too. I just don't think you actually understand why and I find it funny that you feel the need to make a thread about it. have a nice night.
>>
>>60283439
idk if you'll be back but I did it because of >>60281831
in order to prove a point that no one here really cares about discussing meme shit
>>
File: johncage_bg_new.jpg (595 KB, 1680x1234) Image search: [Google]
johncage_bg_new.jpg
595 KB, 1680x1234
So basically
>music is objective and I know what’s best
Thanks for making it so easy to discard your opinion, OP.
>>
>claiming to take jazz seriously
>not posting in the blindfold test thread

lol
>>
>>60283545
This desu
>>
I think I've been cyberbullied
>>
>>60283652
how is cyber bullying real...
>>
>>60283697
Australia takes cyber bullying seriously, you could end up in jail for calling people out online
>>
>>60283043

I was honestly surprised by he epic because i thought actually be overrated p4k garbage

And it wasn't

Of course it's not "the new coltrane/davis/mingues" as p4k's drones seem to claim but The epic is actually a nice set of three albums

>Anyone who earnestly thinks The Epic is a great album and not overrated does not take Jazz seriously.
Yeah sure
>It's incredibly derivative
Buzzword
>of past styles including Funk and especially Spiritual Jazz
So what?
>while the players are relatively amateur compared to other professional jazz musicians often not playing off of each other well and Kamasi in particular playing stale solos with only a few ideas being used ad nauseum.
Examples?

>Thinking this album is a great Jazz record is as bad as thinking Sunbather is a great Black Metal record.
The epic is better than sunbather but sunbather while being a meh album isn't THAT bad.
>>
>>60283723
That's how it will be in the future. People will look back on it with morbid fascination and myth like a sort of digital Wild West.
>>
>>60283741
>Examples?
The first disc of tracks, which is what I listened through before writing off the album.

>Buzzword
>So what?
It's literally the same as a person saying that Max Richter's Recomposed: Vivaldi is a great classical record. It offers nothing new in style and doesn't progress the artform.
>>
>>60283781

you wrote off the album without even listening to the whole thing...I don't think music is for you.
>>
>>60283781
You should have kept going lol. You'd have loved his interpretation of Clair de Lune.
>>
File: 1437237371997.jpg (377 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1437237371997.jpg
377 KB, 1600x900
>>60283723
>>60283697
>>60283652
OH GOD. Australia also leads in shitposting. This is a powderkeg waiting to happen.
>>
>>60283833
I've heard exactly the opposite and, honestly, people who take Claire de Lune out of its context in the Suite Bergamasque are generally the people who don't care about classical music much at all.
>>
>>60283781

>Examples?
>The first disc of tracks, which is what I listened through before writing off the album

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but i want you to point specific stale solos or moments where the musicians aren't playing with each other

I'd compare with classics of jazz to hear if they are different and in which way, so... i could get an opinion about what you've said.
>>
>>60283866
I was joking m80.
It was a good call not spending another two hrs listening to it if you weren't liking it regardless of what >>60283810
Says.
>>
>>60283878
Better yet, how about 2 examples of Kamasi using the same idea more than three times (let alone "ad nauseum")
>>
>heard good things about Austin Peralta
>planned to eventually check him out
>not even going to now that I find out his stuff came out on Brainfeeder
>>
jazzfags are truly the biggest, most elitist cunts out of all music scenes. Well, maybe second, after classicalfags
>>
>>60284430
You get that impression from the vocal minority (all underage btw)
>>
>>60283043
>i dont like it therefore it's a bad album

b8
>>
>>60284430
i like jazz i dont think im elitist, op is just a cunt
>>
>>60284430
>>60284631
Counter my points in the OP then.
>>
>>60283043
Post your five favorite jazz releases from this year, OP
(i'm not implying that The Epic is anything other than mediocre, just genuinely interested)
>>
>>60284907
I'm not deep into Jazz, I just listen enough to what is considered modern. So unfortunately the only Jazz albums I've appreciated are Vijay Iyer - Break Stuff, Rudresh - Bird Calls, and Avishai Cohen - From Darkness. I have listened to others that I didn't care for.
>>
>>60284844
All he would have to do to counter your statements in the OP is state the opposite since you did nothing to back up your statements.
>>
>>60284844

jazzfags: when enjoying music is replaced by arguing music
>>
>>60285130

>is in an argument thread
>complain of arguing

go to >>60274344 if you want to see jazz fans enjoying jazz

>>60284844

Still >>60283878 or >>60283973 ( not me but a valid point )
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.