[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since this magnificient bastard is coming out of retirement,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 135736285892.jpg (581 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
135736285892.jpg
581 KB, 1000x1500
Since this magnificient bastard is coming out of retirement, I might as well give Genesis a shot since I've only known some of their singles as of today.

Any recs to what album should I listen to first?
>>
If you're into progressive rock start with Selling England by the Pound, if you know them from their pop stuff Duke is a good place to start.
>>
>>60278267
I know them most for the pop stuff, but I think I'll go with Selling England by the Pound then, maybe it will get me into prog.
>>
Their best:
Trespass
Foxtrot
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Trick of the Tail
Wind and Wuthering
Duke

I personally like Abacab and the '85 s/t

Live albums:
Genesis Live
Seconds Out
Three Sides Live
>>
Duke

Or all of them
>>
>>60278338
That's when they still had Peter Gabriel as their lead singer. Later he went on to do his own more pop-ish stuff, pretty funny how later Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer knocked Genesis' Invisible Touch off of the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100.
>>
>>60278362
Those seem to be the prog ones. I think the only song I remember listening to from that version of Genesis was The Knife because my friend had a shuffled playlist on and that song was in it.

>>60278420
I was aware that Peter Gabriel was in Genesis before, but like with Phil Collins, I know his solo stuff more. But I'd say it was deserved, Sledgehammer is a lot better than Invisible Touch, that was one of the Genesis singles I knew and never did much to me desu.
>>
>>60278533
Duke, Abacab, and the '85 s/t aren't prog.

Pop with progressive tendencies, maybe.
>>
>>60278533
Most of their stuff is prog. They didn't really stop making prog even when Phil was the singer until the 80's rolled around. A Trick of the Tail is a personal favourite of mine.
>>
>>60278585
>A Trick of the Tail is a personal favourite of mine.
Mah Nigga!'
>>
File: 1428787793923.png (245 KB, 401x458) Image search: [Google]
1428787793923.png
245 KB, 401x458
Selling England by the Pound is pretty good so far.

I didn't expect the second track to be a pop song tho, it was actually catchy as hell.
>>
>>60278814
I think it was their first attempt at making a pop-song.
>>
>>60278814
>I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

Love that song.
>>
Favourite track from each Genesis album?

>From Genesis to Revelation
Am I Very Wrong?
>Trespass
White Mountain
>Nursery Cryme
The Fountain of Salmacis
>Foxtrot
Supper's Ready
>The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
In the Cage
>A Trick of the Tail
A Dance on a Volcano
>Wind & Wuthering
Eleventh Earl of Mar
>And Then There Were Three
Down and Out
>Duke
Duchess
>Abacab
Dodo/Lurker
>Genesis
Mama
>Invisible Touch
Land of Confusion
>We Can't Dance
Fading Lights
>Calling All Stations
Congo (The only song I don't hate from that)
>>
>>60279020
Shit forgot Selling England.
My favourite from that is Dancing with the Moonlit Knight.
>>
>>60279020
>From Genesis to Revelation
The Serpent

>Trespass
The Knife

>Nursery Cryme
The Musical Box

>Foxtrot
Supper's Ready

>Selling England by the Pound
The Cinema Show

>The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
The Lamia

>A Trick of the Tail
Mad Man Moon

>Wind & Wuthering
One for the Vine

>And Then There Were Three
The Lady Lies

>Duke
Duchess

>Abacab
Dodo/Lurker

>Genesis
Mama

>Invisible Touch
Domino

>We Can't Dance
No Son of Mine

>Calling All Stations
Calling All Stations
>>
>>60279020
Pretty much agree with you except:

>Selling England by the Pound
Firth of Fifth

>And Then There Where Three...
Follow You, Follow Me

>Abacab
Abacab

>Genesis
Home by the Sea
>>
>>60278362
Why did I forget Nursery Cryme?

Shame on me
>>
>>60279020
>We Can't Dance

Fuck, I swear there's a good album hidden in all of that shit.

Had they kept the track list as No Son of Mine - Jesus he Knows Me - Driving the Last Spike - Living Forever - Dreaming While You Sleep - Fading Lights and got rid of all the other filler shit, it would actually be a pretty good prog pop album.
>>
>>60278208
>magnificient bastard
just go back
>>
>>60279253
I would've allowed I Can't Dance to stay too. But I can't say I disagree.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.