[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do i start with these guys?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: steely_dan.jpg (766 KB, 4985x3350) Image search: [Google]
steely_dan.jpg
766 KB, 4985x3350
Where do i start with these guys?
>>
Pretzel Logic
>>
don't

overrated tasteless and odorless teflonmusic

only important for inventing shitty sounding 80's albums in the 70's
>>
>>60273404
Even In The Quietest Moments
>>
>>60273626
This nigga gets it.

That said, if you must listen to an album, Aja is the only tolerable one. They also had a couple good songs on their shit albums but I don't know if it was enough to fill up a greatest hits compilation.
>>
>>60273404
I dont really think its worth it if youre only trying to prove your taste or something. They're really middle of the road. That one album with 'do it again' was pretty good.
>>
Don't listen to the plebs in this thread, the Dan is great. The first couple of albums are good but less consistent, Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied are where they started to use session musicians and really find their sound. Royal Scam and Aja are the two best, Gaucho might be a bit too saccharine for some but it has some good cuts. I'd say start with Royal Scam and go backwards if you like the more rock parts and go forward if you like the more jazz parts.
>>
>>60273626
>>60273727
>>60273791
Literal plens
>>
>>60273791
>>60273727
>>60273626
Jesus christ. How uncultured and barbarian can it get on this board.

Steely Dan are fucking great. Yeah, they're mellow, but for the patient their music is wonderfully technically creative and subtle.

I'd say start with their 1st, Pretzel Logic. My personal fave is The Royal Scam.
>>
>>60273626
>>60273727
Kill yourselves
>>
>>60275618
Shit I meant Can't Buy A Thrill
>>
>implying Your Gold Teeth II doesn't have the best Dan guitar solo
>>
>>60273404
Countdown to Ecstasy
>>
>>60275665
Nah the best guitar solo of all time is Jeff "Skunk" Baxter on "Reelin' In The Years"
>>
>>60275807
Jokes on you, Baxter didn't do the studio solo to that song, Elliott Randall did
>>
>>60273929
they're great, but I won't blame the kids for disliking them. I really think you have to at least be hitting your late 20s to start getting them. they just don't resonate with an adolescent or early 20s perspective, they're more of a 30s/40s band, true dad rock from their inception. I mean they came out of that '70s period where baby boomer men were having kids and starting careers, and this kind of slick sound was by dudes like that for dudes like that
>>
>>60275666
My nigga
>>
Honestly, chronological order. Not a huge task.

Middle period is best. Katy Lied up through Aja. Everything before and after is hit or miss if you consider it track by track.
>>
They really are the quintessential "not for everyone" band, so I can see why some people hate their stuff. But at least give them a shot.
>>
>>60275856

Except they were NY jazz snobs who did lots of drugs...
>>
File: 1372367064005.jpg (1 KB, 125x74) Image search: [Google]
1372367064005.jpg
1 KB, 125x74
>>
>>60275907
well, yeah. a lot of those yacht rock dads were jazz fans who (still) did lots of drugs too
>>
File: 1444533705917.png (564 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
1444533705917.png
564 KB, 719x719
>>60275907
>drugs as a criticism
>>
>>60275807
>not the solo to Kid Charlemagne from The Royal Scam
>>
>>60276807
funny how skunk didn't even play the two best solos for the dan
>>
>>60273626
>>60273727
>Can't appreciate one of the most meticulously subtle and clever pop groups of all time.
Even if they sound too dated or dull to you now (you, who is experiencing them with the false and naive perspective that they are on the same level as watered down soft rock/adult contemporary/muzak/etc to follow them in years to come, whose music sounds identical to Steely Dan to the ignoramus), they were objectively an all around solid band.
>>
>>60275872
This. Chronological is usually the best choice, and Steely Dan are no exception. Plus Can't Buy a Thrill is goat dadrock.
>>
>>60275665
>Your Gold Teeth II
my nigga
>>
complex and almost prog in the guise of jazz. I love Steely Dan. Aja is best song by far, but for best album I'd have to say Katy Lied. Every song is a solid 9 at least
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.