[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About Chord Progressions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1446922709956.png (117 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1446922709956.png
117 KB, 720x720
So, /mu/sicians, how do you learn about chords and chords progressions when you compose? I'm going out of my way to learn some songs on guitar now, since I don't really know that many chord progressions (you'd be surprised as to what you can bullshit out in music production if you just understand scales), but how do you guys learn new chords and chord progressions? I'm actually kind of curious about the chord progressions Elvrum uses in the Glow pt. 2, but I don't know if I should go about it with online chords/tabs, or figure them out by ear. I wonder, are they just ordinary minor chords, or are they altered by some other note(s), in some way?

(Also, classical fans—if you compose, do you use an instrument, or mainly just do it only on paper?)

Anyway, chords/chord progressions/compositions (general?) thread.
And if you have to illustrate something you're talking or asking about, you could post a link to your music, I guess.
>>
A B C D E F G
plus # and b

there, now you know all the chords. was that so hard?
>>
File: Music_Theory.jpg (867 KB, 747x1869) Image search: [Google]
Music_Theory.jpg
867 KB, 747x1869
>>60267421
Here you go OP
>>
>>60267915
1. Knowing the chords doesn't mean knowing what they are. You have to know the chord shape(s) on the respective instrument you're playing, as well as possible inversions.
2. You realize that chords aren't just "the A# chord" or "the B chord", right? Not only are there major and minor chords, there are a myriad of ways of changing those chords through inversions and adding other notes to them (and which register you add them to makes a whole lot of difference—A#3 and B3 sounds a lot more unpalatable than A#3 and B4, for example)
3. Chord progressions complicate the process immensely by multiplying those chordal possibilities by the number of chords you end up playing.

Like, I know you're probably trolling, but it's not nearly as simple as you make this shit up to be.
>>
>>60267915
That's only triads (three note chords). From the chromatic scale there are actually 4017 possible chords, with three notes or more. Not to mention all the different possible voicings of those chords.
>>
>>60268108
>4017 possible chords

that's the dumbest thing ive ever heard. there are only 26 letters in the alphabet so even if you had 26 unique chords (not counting # and b) then you'd still have to loop back around to A. its mathematically impossible for there to be 4017 chords unless youre counting the chords separately in each octave, and why would you do that
>>
>>60268196
>not knowing set theory
hahahaha you are a faggot go pick up a book you idiot
>>
>>60268196
i know you're le epic troll but here's the break down anyway

12 notes in the chromatic scale

1 note = 12 ways (not a chord)
2 notes = 66 (not a chord)
3 notes = 220
4 notes = 495
5 notes = 792
6 notes = 924
7 notes = 792
8 notes = 495
9 notes = 220
10 notes = 66
11 notes = 12
12 notes = 1

Total = 4017
>>
>>60268219
What about inversions? There's more than 1 way to play 12 notes.
>>
>>60268219
I would say 2 notes is a chord
>>
>>60268271
I said not counting different voicings
>>
>>60268282
You can consider it a chord but technically it's a dyad
>>
>>60268212
now i get why you dont understand MUSIC if all you do is read books. listen to some songs and actually think about the chords and maybe youll learn what printed letters cant teach
>>
>>60268294
and why is a dyad not a chord, but a triad is?
>>
>>60268314
I guess because you're really just playing a harmonic interval, but often they imply chords. For example a C5 (power 'chord') is just a 5th, but it will tend to imply either C major or C minor depending on the key, even though the third isn't actually there. It's even more obvious what a dyad is implying if you are playing a major or minor interval though.
>>
>>60268308

you really need to have an understanding of complex non-triadic harmony if you want to enjoy the full musical and harmonic experience of certain types of music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLf98HyHqtg
>>
>>60268020
is this whatr being a "songwriter" is about? :/
>>
circle of fifths
>>
>>60268669
No, you learn to speak before you learn to read and write, don't you? Most musicians know this stuff intuitively and make chord progressions by ear, it can just be useful to know the theory behind it as well.
>>
>>60268308
>>60268464
He's right, slowly learning more and more theory and it only improves my listening experience.

Thanks for readin my blog too
>>
>>60268219
what does a 12 note chord sound like?
>>
>>60269103
clustery as fuck
https://clyp.it/m0r5nwd2
>>
I don't.
>>
File: sjkadhsajkhd.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
sjkadhsajkhd.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
Any advice for writing rhythms that move past the simple 4 chords in 4/4 time?

I'm thinking along the lines of David Bowie or st Vincent; where you have these really unique non standard rhythms that take advantage of everything from the 7ths to the sus4's to create music that's much more interesting to listen
>>
>>60269619
>really unique non standard rhythms that take advantage of everything
Examples? I don't know enough of either of their discographies to know how they do this.
>>
>>60267421
Hi, il writing music for quite à long time now. Dont listen to the Moron, calculating mathematicaly the number of chords progression possibilities.
Learn the basic chords progression for pop music. There are about 20, Each ones have been used in Numbers of hits.
Learn them with tabs of famous songs Dont forget that they are transposed in différent tunes, but they are the same.
Différences are on the rythme and mélodies.

Once you learned those few chords progression. You can complicate them a bit by adding chords in between how you feel it.
Most important thing is to not overthink it, and always focusing on how it sounds.
>>
>>60270166
thx bro
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.