[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/art angels/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: cover600x600.jpg (80 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover600x600.jpg
80 KB, 600x600
Old thread is near bump limit: >>60167821

Art Angels general thread. What's your opinion on Grimes latest opus so far? Favourite track(s)? How does it rate compared to the rest of her discography? Low Points?

For me:
>Opinion
I love it, currently on third listen. Finding more stuff I like every time.
>Fav tracks
Kill V. Maim, Venus Fly and California.
>Rate
I'd say Halfaxa = Art Angels > Visions > Primes
>Low points
Belly of the Beat. Absolutely not feeling this track. Also, I find Easily to be really lacklustre (except the synth around 1:50 mins is fun).

Mega link:
Grimes - Art Angels (2015)
>Pop, Dream-Pop, Synth-Pop, EDM
320 kbps MP3
https://mega.nz/#!1BBlkABT!-yGGCTed5kJsc05E35xHM3bI6vwWcgCV_VUfBXiWPhc
>>
That real 320 or "DID THE GUY WHO INVENTED COLLEGE GO TO COLLEGE? OK DEN :^)" 320
>>
Fuck that watermark shit.
>>
>>60190381
the real
>>60190384
agreed
>>
I like it a lot. I'm glad Flesh Without Blood dropped so I could adjust my apprehensions; it repulsed me at first but I found myself thinking back to the hooks during the day and ended up liking it a lot on replay. This time, I liked everything my first go, and it's only grown from there.

I'm not sure how I'd rank it with her other stuff so far. I like it as much as Halfaxa, but clearly for different reasons. I think it's better than a good portion of the stuff on Visions, and Geidi Primes will always be my least favorite.

My favorite tracks are FWB, KVM, BOTB, WPII, and Butterfly. Everything else I think works really well for the album overall, I think this is her most cohesive release. My least favorite track is probably California, but it works to start the album off, both in how it's really brazenly pop so off the bat following what's probably the track most in-line with expectations, and because it seems to be about how pop it is lyrically.

Which, is why I like a lot of the album, how it's playing with expectation and how the lyrics are about the listening experience/listener estimation alongside their forming. It's weird how it's clearly her least experimental effort musically but is her most interesting and clever demonstration of creativity so far.

I'm looking forward to the Pitchfork review and how it'll change the discussions here, which at this point are buzzword memeing; I'm sure my post will be called 'underage,' 'apologist,' etc. The level of vitriol over this is surprising even for Grimes loathers, and I think it may have something to do with heavy pop elements in the face of insecure male teenagers who worry about how big their dick is.
>>
For me:
>Opinion
Really love it. Clearly Grimes is showing us what she is capable of as a producer and how much she has grown.
>Fav tracks
Kill V. Maim, Butterfly, Belly of the Beat.
>Rate
Art Angels=Visions=Halfaxa>Primes
>Low points
Easily bores me a little bit. Venus Fly was great until the violin. (I've been playing violin for over 10 years, so I chuckled at that part).
>>
>>60190885
Yeah easily is boring
Is the violin real or just a synth? I can't remember but I liked it, just imagine it as a guitar/synth monophonic lead if u want
>>
>>60190835

Totally agree with you about it being her most creative effort yet.

It's funny to me that some equate poppy/catchy with a lack of creativity. I was always under the impression that with Grimes, it was much easier for her to create experimental electronic, ethereal stuff. But now that she has a bigger budget and better gear at her disposal, she has to figure out a way how to integrate that all together, which requires a lot of creativity.

Also agree with your last point about the instant backlash. It's either fans who can't let go of the Visions sound or it's people who seem very insecure about how upbeat and poppy it sounds.
>>
Fuck me I've never noticed such a huge jump in quality between the original leak and the proper quality leak.
It's actually a huge relief because the original quality leak gave me the worst impression.

>Opinion
It's pretty good, not perfect but Grimes never does perfect albums.
>Favourites
Kill V. Maim, Butterfly, Flesh without Blood
>Low points
Belly of the Beat is trash, the run from Easily to Realiti is a bit bland
>>
>>60190398
It's fake

You are an ass hat
>>
>>60191008

I believe it's real. I follow her on Instagram and I've read a few of the interviews with her and she talked about learning the violin. I also do remember some violin in Halfaxa, and that sounded real to me.
>>
>>60191051
Yeah apparently she learnt how to play violin and guitar for this album.
Kinda explains why the guitar sounds a bit generic.
>>
The album version of REALiTi is just as good as the "unfinished" one desu senpai
>>
>>60191103
The album version sounds like some plonky ass karaoke cover of the original, it's weird and off putting and only because I've listened to the demo too many times
>>
This is so much better than visions lol
>>
>>60191103
The demo one is clearly better atmospherically, but I like the album one from a production stand-point. It's weird, I both like and dislike how she changed her delivery in different parts. How she sings 'reality' is way better but some other parts feel like she's changing her tone in a wanky unneeded way.
>>
>>60190351
>Opinion
I listened to it four times so far. Incredible. 10/10. AOTY.
>Fav tracks
Pin, Venus Fly, Butterfly, Kill V. Maim
>Rate
Visions > Art Angels = Halfaxa > Geidi Primes
>Low points
Belly of the Beat and Artangels. Can't into them.
>>
>>60191286
I always kinda figured a 10/10 wouldn't have low points but w/e
>>
>>60191350
Kek this dessu
>>
>>60191350
Makes sense, but some songs are too catchy, so I can't give this album less than 10.
>>
any link without hopsin?
>>
>>60191562
The one in the op senpai
>>
>>60191562
https://mega.nz/#!iZFDwaTa!5yvZ-EqIDbYfbTUiUiiAvbUtw2HeyoO7LSf5LY3ZL80

proper link from what.cd senpai
>>
>Opinion
I don't know if I have a lesser quality leak (have the real album on pre-order) but some of the songs sound too bright?
As for the album, if someone told me Grimes would produce such an album two years ago, I'd laugh. This is NOTHING like her previous works. That said, I think its a good release and as others stated, very cohesive and over all contains a higher percentage of 'good' tracks to 'bad' ones. I'd give this a 7/10.

>Fav tracks
Kill vs Maim, Flesh, Scream, World Princess II and Venus.

>Rate
Halfaxa/Art Angels > Visions > big gap > Primes

>Low points

Maybe too 'poppy' for me to listen to over and over as I did Halfaxa. I can't imagine myself never listening to Halfaxa again because I've just grown tired and over it. I could see that happening with art angels though. It'll be a while though.
>>
wtf??? im getting dj aaron ellis tags on Spotify????
>>
>>60191643

One more note: The demo version of Realiti is MUCH better than the album version.

Demo > Live > Album.

I hope Grimes gets tired of pop and goes back to more mellow/low-fi experimental music after this album and her tour.

Get it out of your system, Claire!
>>
literally the worst album released this year by a critically acclaimed artist. And if you say you like it you are lying to yourself and everyone else because you want to be on the praise-train before it inevitably gets fawned over by the press. Since apparently the cool thing now is to make generic 90s sounding pop music with slightly weird or quirky undertones, Grimes has decided to follow suit and is now literally no different than any pop artist before her, and in fact is much worse at making this type of music. She said grimes was "the future of music" but this album sounds so unbelievably similar to so much else it should make you all really sad that after all this time, this is what we got from her. She should be ashamed of ever making this garbage, and anyone who pretends to like it should be ashamed of being such a fucking vapid prick
>>
>>60192343
:^)
>>
File: 1381610968253.jpg (69 KB, 273x240) Image search: [Google]
1381610968253.jpg
69 KB, 273x240
>people not liking Geidi Primes
It is without a doubt her best work. Not even debatable. What's going on here?
>>
File: 1441023392676.jpg (50 KB, 500x513) Image search: [Google]
1441023392676.jpg
50 KB, 500x513
The only worthwhile songs on this album are SCREAM and Venus Fly. Realiti is kill. Shame, those two songs are pretty interesting, but the rest really is trash.
>>
>>60192343
How is anything she's ever done 'experimental' and not just as poppy as Art Angels (albeit far less well executed). If anything the structure and production of these tracks are much more idiosyncratic/experimental/Grimes than the formulaic, boring, predictable and amaturely produced older material.
>>
>>60192598
Visions is ethereal and Gothic and with-core or whatever the fuck you call it. It was interesting and different, with a really dark aesthetic that sounded like an occult rave or something. Art Angels is boring, if you can't see that then you literally
are
a
pleb
>>
>Opinion
it's like really really shitty store bought donuts, i know they are shit and i don't even really like eating them but i will probably buy them again
>fav tracks
KILL V. MAIM is sooooo fucking catchy honestly, not genuinely feeling much else aside from the 1st track and REALITI (even though it is much worse than the demo)
>Rate
visions > halfaxa > primes > art angels
>Low points
BELLY OF THE BEAT is by far the worst, but honestly it is garbage pretty much throughout
>>
>>60192598
Reread what you wrote. Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>Opinion
Absolutely fantastic. She sounds so strong on this, the confidence is palpable. Really interesting mixture of sounds. Nostalgic but still very now. A lot of songs have a PC music vibe. This is definitely her best album to date.
>fav tracks
I think they're all fantastic. Calafornia, Art Angels, Kill V Main and Realiti probs the best.
>rate
Art Angels > Visions > Halfaxa > Primes
>Low points
honestly can't even think of one. I wasn't too fussed on the new version of Realiti, but its grown on me heaps.

This will rival Carrie & Lowell and TPAB when it comes to end of year lists. Mark my words
>>
>>60192644
>ethereal
>gothic
>interesting and different
Don't know why I'm replying but you must be in high school or only listen to pop music that p4k covers (or not actually 'listen' to music at all) to think that Visions is somehow musically or artistically superior to Art Angels. Visions is a dumb gimmick (aesthetically and musically) and Art Angels is grimes being grimes.
>>
>>60190351
>Opinion
Blown away. Anyone that doubted Claire's talent can kindly fuck off. Shit on pop music all you want but it takes a certain genius to be able to do what she did here. The mountain of influence that went into this thing is amazing. There are hits of everything from Dolly Parton to Marilyn Manson. Stunning. These are not just cheap throwaway generic pop songs. They are the greatest pop songs of all time re-imagined.
>Fav tracks
Belly of the Beat, Kill V. Maim, Artangels, Easily, Pin, REALiTi, Butterfly but the entire album is incredible.
>Rate
Art Angels > Visions > Halfaxa = Geidi Primes
>Low points
I think Scream is the weakest track, but I don't mind it. I cannot believe how fucking solid this thing is. What an achievement.
>>
It is a fantastic pop album. I don't mean that in a passive aggressive way either. I love it.
>>
>>60192843
No?
Are you? Do you even listen to music?
Geez you guys are actually retarded.
>>
>>60192871
I agree with everything you've said.

Yeah I hated Scream when it was released, but in the context of the album it adds so much energy and eccentrism. Grown on me a lot.
>>
>>60192343
Jesus. How myopic do you have to be to say everyone disagreeing with you is pretending and wrong and then use the word 'vapid' to describe them.
>>
>>60192868
100 percent guarantee you wouldn't even be listening to grimes if you hadn't caught the visions hype generated by p4k lol lol lol lol
>>
>>60193072
Bro, he's insecure and needs to add those threats because he's going to realize all those self loathing thought he has about himself are going to be validated if people don't agree with him. Clearly a product of poor fathering.
>>
>>60193214
I have literally never read a p4k article so... I also hate SJW/neo-morality agendas when it comes to music and promotion
>>
what is this whole like...dj mix thing?? ""GO TO COLLEGE"" is that part of the album or a really weird experiment by however leaked it?
>>
>>60193214
1) why does it matter how one discovers music?
2) one can hype all they want but once the hype dies down, if the thing hyped did not deserve it than people move on... its been 3 years since visions came out, people still fucking love it, so you can't really blame it on hype. the hype was deserved.
3) i discovered grimes when the video for Vanessa came out and it was added to a channel i follow on Vimeo... so i encountered her with literally zero hype involved.
4) every single blog and publication was hyping Grimes when Visions came out, but before that, there was a steady following around her from the relative popularity of Halfaxa during the Witchhouse bubble.
5) you're a fucking idiot, dude
>>
>>60192954
Gr8 b8
>>
>>60191621
te amo
>>
For me:
>Opinion
I'm on the first listen and I can only feel like most of the songs sound the same? Or kind of similar? Like, i've got no problem with pop music but in her other albums her voice didn't sound as high pitched and monotonous as this whole album. HOWEVER, there are songs I really liked and enjoyed, kind of wished she played more with effects/background but at least this doesn't sound recorded from a freaking cellphone like some songs from Halfaxa /Darkbloom. Visions is still my favorite tho. I love Grimes, I love the fact that she makes everything out of nothing. I really hope that in the future, after learning from her pasts albums we got to have an album that can blow both the minds of the ones that love experimental shit and the ones that love pop generic music. This one isn't, but there's still hope!
>Fav tracks
Art Angels, Kill V. Maim, Realiti. Easily (sounds like the beatles)
>Rate
Visions > Geidi Primes > Art Angels > Halfaxa > Darkbloom
>Low points
As I said, too high pitched, even for Grimes. Sometimes sounding like AQA
what even is belly of the beat????
>>
>>60193421
I'm not allowed to like the album without it somehow being bait?

Go the fuck outside dumbass.
>>
The album has tons of hooks. She always has great vocal melodies and the production still has a lot of character.

Comparing it to Visions, there were two main things I liked about Visions:
1) the general starry, ethereal fairy vibe
2) her freewheeling, synthetic approach. Visions had a lot of hooks, but they weren't explicit pop hooks, they were like lots of little catchy bits. Like the keys at the end of Genesis, the oooooh aaaahhhh's on Oblivion, the layered vocals on the Circumambient chorus ricocheting off each other, etc. The elements weren't tightly woven, they were just kinda floating along with each other.

(cont)...
>>
>>60193716
(cont)

With Art Angels,
1) the album is much sunnier and crisper, not dazed and dreamy. The late 90s pop/Ray of Light vibes sound kinda corny to my ears. I just prefe the Visions aesthetic, and I was hoping that this album would continue in that vein, allowing for a more pop approach. "David" sounds like a Visions song albeit more commercial, and that's what I thought the album would be. I wasn't expecting such a tone shift.

2) she's still just as inventive and playful in her songwriting, it's just that songs are more tightly woven and direct, punchier. I think Art Angels is actually more varied than Visions. AA has a greater variety of tones and goes places she hasn't been before. Scream and Kill V Maim are more manic than anything else she's done. Belly of the Beat has this earthy, languishing sound. Butterfly has that goofy derpy intro. There's a lot going on in the album, it's not lacking creativity.

>>
>>60193716
You know that most of those 'hooks but not hooks aka weak hooks' were in Eb pentatonic minor right?
>>
desu senpai
>>
i didnt really care for the singles and im worried i wont like the rest of the album either
>>
>>60190351
DL link has the album with the dumb bullshit cut into the song. Don't download it, fucking waste of time

I downloading the other now and will report back
>>
>>60193797
(cont again) I never realized the character limit was this tight

Overall, I still prefer Visions since I just like that sound better, but I can't argue that she's hasn't grown a lot as a producer. She said she scrapped that one album because it was to sad and she's in a different place in her life now, and it really shows on Art Angels. How Art Angels sounds is a conscious decision on her part. The album sounds more extroverted and confident because Grimes' is more confident now.

>>60193822
you're really missing the point
>>
>>60191621
This one seems real so far, I'm going to assume the whole thing is. Download this one
>>
>If you're looking for a dream girl
>I'll never be your dream girl

WAIFU FAGS BTFO
>>
Holy shit the official iTunes album sound 100x better than the leak. Wow. I usually roll my eyes when people say shit like this because the difference is typically negligible, but wow it's like night and day.
>>
>>60194093
well the leak was in mono so
>>
You all prepared to love this album when it gets a 9.0+ from p4k tonight?
>>
i really tried to like this album. it was way too hit and miss for me.
>>
>>60194133
yeah people should really stop downloading the leak. im sad thats how i first experienced it.
>>
whole thing is on Spotify now
>>
Its too fast an annoying, sounds harsh on the ears. This grimes sounds more like new wave like mindless self indulgence than anything like visions
>>
I like the first track because the beginning part of the instrumental reminds me of the Sims/Sims 2 soundtrack
>>
California literally sounds like a MIley Cyrus song circa 2010
>>
What the fuckity fuck Grimes for fuck's sake
>>
This song has 0 replay value

Vapid, uninspired trendy pop music that has some appeal the first few listens (Very in-your-face hooks, some hard hitting "drops"), but like all music of this time, the novelty wears off quite quickly. Like eating too much candy.

This isn't against pop music, it's against bad pop music. Maybe Grimes should spend a week with Robert Pollard for a tip or two how to write large, clever, inspired hooks, not this.
>>
>>60194154
absolutely!
>>
>>60194424
which song does it sound like?
>>
>>60194424
No. It sounds just like fucking Vampire Weekend.
>>
>>60191621
this legit?
>>
all this guitar :/
>>
I really like this album. It'll most likely get at least an 8.5 and BNM from Pitchfork, but knowing how much they crave hype they'll probably give it a solid 9.0.
>>
>>60194504
God damn picky fucks.

That shit isn't that prominent unless I've been just high.

I'm now moving along from California on my like 6th playthrough. guitar sound isn't distracting at all..
>>
its too girly too poppy, it definitely isn't cool, i have no idea what the fuck im listening to. its really bad.

Grimes has always been overconfident and pretentious, Visions was so amazing it was tolerable, but after this garbage dump of an album shes a joke. idc what pitchfork rates it as and idc how many art school babes support it. its completely worthless. terrible. just terrible.
>>
File: Kermit4.jpg (27 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Kermit4.jpg
27 KB, 300x400
Scream makes me want to fuck a guy and make his brain melt from my tight asshole covering his sweaty cock.

Tbh.
>>
i'm kinda into it, kinda not. there are some catchy tunes on here but overall i'm not too sure about this sound for her. you can still tell there are little details going on in the background throughout, but a lot of it reminds me of shampoo advertisements and the like.

my favorite tracks are artangels, easily, and the first track at the moment. only my first listen however.
>>
This album is a lot better if you snort 5 Pixie Stix beforehand.
>>
The guy dancing with his tennis racket/glasses/showing his torso, dancing really gay and freely... for a brief moment in the Flesh video, is what we should all be doing to the entire album
>>
I liked it. I'm feeling a strong 6 low 7.

The album starts off strong but weakens in the middle. The last few songs are pretty good, but I thought Butterfly was a weird note to end on.

I think that this album is full of great pop music and I'd like to hear it on the radio over many other mainstream artists.
>>
>>60194554
i think you're confused. how is she overconfident and pretentious?
>>
>>60194637
yeah it's good in a poppy sense, but it doesn't move me emotionally much. it's just catchy.

sort of upsetting. oh well, not the biggest deal.
>>
>>60194675

What music emotionally moves you?
>>
>>60194398
kek
>>
>>60194637
Does anyone else get the feeling that this is disguised bait?
>>
What do you guys makes of this...

I'm listening to the album on Spotify, and on the lyrics page for Belly of the Beast, it says "Ok.. don't shout it but Justin Bieber just stole these lyrics."

?!?!?!?!?!
>>
Is this fake? The annoying cutoffs with random people saying stupid shit is not creative or nice to listen to.
>>
>>60194554
>Grimes has always been overconfident and pretentious

how so. her music's always been very reserved. How is being confident in your work a bad thing?

Art Angels is a crowning achievement in pop music for this decade. When you see the ridiculous amount of praise this receives this week and at the end of the year, I want you to think about this post, and how objectively wrong you were.

Why do you think it's a terrible album?
>>
>>60193882
What's the other?
>>
>>60194776

that's one of the default "no lyrics available" messages
>>
>>60191621
>>60194799
>>
>>60194806
oh dammit, i thought we were about to get some Grimes vs. Bieber beef

Anyway I miss the aesthetic of songs like Oblivion (literally the greatest pop song of our generation?), but I'm not writing this album off. It's clearly very creative, Claire did a great job. Flesh Without Blood has totally grown on me, so maybe that's a sign of this album growing on me. About half-way through it.
>>
I don't get why everyone hates belly of the beat. After listening quite a few times, it feels like the most similar to something from visions to me.
>>
>>60194871
I like it too
>>
>Opinion
Really bad, pretty much what >>60194456 said. People bend over backwards to defend this as a 'pure pop' album but it's just not good, genre notwithstanding.
>Fav tracks
laughing and not being normal, Scream, REALiTi (demo is better but eh), maybe Kill vs Maim.
>Rate
Visions = Halfaxa > Primes> artangels
>Low points
Belly of the Beat, Easily, Artangels.
>>
>>60194859
is it really the greatest pop song? i love it and can't exactly think of a better one at the moment, but just because pitchfork said its the best doesn't make it so. also, they prob only did that to get on her good side because she hates them so much.
>>
i'm on track 13 right now

i don't hate it, it has some fun moments. i really dont give a shit about perceived "selling out" and nonsense like that. SCREAM is one of the worst songs i've heard in years. California is my favorite so far.

i'll probably listen to it a few more time, throw my favorite few tracks onto my chill playlist and move on.
>>
>people actually believe the original REALiTi was an unmixed, unmastered demo
>>
>>60191621
>>60194815
thans
>>
File: Screenshot (26).png (62 KB, 227x217) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (26).png
62 KB, 227x217
This is Miley Cyrus without cursing.
>>
>>60194903
I mean I'm sure there are plenty of contenders out there that I just can't think of right now. But yeah, it's definitely up there for me. Maybe not #1, but I also have no problem with it being #1 either
>>
>Opinion
Loving it. Also, is this a breakup album?
>Fav tracks
Kill V. Maim = Pin > everything else
>Rate
Torn about whether it's better than Visions or not. After that, Halfaxa then Geidi Primes.
>Low Points
None really for me, honestly. Some low relative to the rest of the album (Easily, mostly) but none bad at all.

Also,
>dat new version of Realiti
THANK YOU BASED GRIMES
>>
you know...when I first listened to this I liked it but felt there was something missing

I'm partlyputting that dow to the leak being in 128 mono, because suddenly it feels like there's so much more going on and I;m REALLY enjoying this
>>
File: AhMDUbq.jpg (280 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
AhMDUbq.jpg
280 KB, 1280x960
Can somebody please reverse what she says at the beginning of the new version of Realiti?
>>
>>60195001
new Realiti vocals are so annoying tho desu senpai
>>
I like both versions of Realiti
>>
>>60195024
GO TO SLEEP I CAN'T SEE SHIT
YOU'RE UNWELCOME TO THE ILLUSION
>>
>>60195035
You can skip it if you don't like it. I just appreciate that she didn't just plug in the version from the video as an easy way to pad the album.
>>
>>60194936
>>60194936
what? if you think that demo is professionally mixed and mastered you're a fucking idiot. grimes said she mixed herself in ableton like she does to all of her demos but thats it. if that was mixed and mastered then grimes seriously needs to get her money back and maybe call a lawyer. have you listened to it on decent speakers? it sounds like garbage, but the song is so fucking great its hard to notice desu.
>>
>>60195052
I think it would have worked if the kick wasn't so fucking loud, if she had kept a more restrained vocal (like demo), and if the fucking stupid stuttery vocals and reverse vocals weren't scattered ALL through the track. It's a great song, I just don't like how she did it for the album.
>>
i like at the end of california when she's peeing into a salad bowl
>>
>>60195024
"get up, this is what I see"

it's just the chorus reversed
>>
World Princess II is great, albeit maybe a bit too long.
>>
>>60195077
>listening to that song right now

holy fuck that kick actually ruins the song. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it.
>>
>>60195117
and everything is just sidechained to fucking shit, and the kick is the exact same kick, and it's such an annoying frequency too, like fuck man. can't wait for the cd so we have a hopefully somewhat better quality demo.
>>
As a whole, it isn't bad, and at points it is even good. The production work is Claire's most thought-out so far. It is evident that she spent a lot of time between Visions and this LP doing her homework and trying/failing experiments as before, etc. She has also expanded her palette of expression, far more confidently and shamelessly exploring the high-pitched quasi-kawaii sorts of vocal timbres she's hinted toward at various points in her discography, but was perhaps cautious with previously for fear of not being taken as seriously as a songwriter early on. I am happy for her in a sense now that she is able to present that side of her personality.

Her use of the full stereo image has improved and she's gotten a lot more creative with it. Her vocal abilities are notably better as well although I do miss the softer Bilinda Butcher approach that was her default before. This could have something to do with the fact that she uses condenser mics for the first time on this album whereas before I'm pretty sure she used dynamic mics on everything, a practice which lended itself more to the dreamlike atmosphere of her other records.

I like this Grimes, for different reasons than I liked the old Grimes. I like goth-Grimes the best though. The transition reminds me of The Cure's dark period circa '81-'82 vs. their commercial peak in the early 90s with Wish. Grimes' darker, more emotional work is what got me into her and what still resonates with me the most. This is why I adore the demo of Realiti and don't care for the album version. I thought it a best-of-both-worlds of her dark sensibilities as well as her pop ones and loved it. Would have loved a whole album with that tone. What she did with the bridge section in the album version was cool though, I'll admit.

I hope she plays around with these kinds of moods again in the future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S3xiA-7Vnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEUaLf8NA4E

REALiTi Demo>Halfaxa=Visions>Art Angels>Darkbloom=GP
>>
If you listen to World Princess and the World Princess part II it feels like dying and being reborn.
>>
>Venus Fly
wew lads

best thing janelle's done in a while
>>
>>60195133
if I can rant longer, I think all the synths are cool. They're poppy and shit, but there's nothing wrong with that. The only thing is I can't hear the synths because of the stupid kick.

I haven't even posted my opinion of the record yet, just Realiti really kind of bummed me out.
>>
File: 1410352367015.jpg (27 KB, 386x460) Image search: [Google]
1410352367015.jpg
27 KB, 386x460
HOLY FUCK WHAT THIS THIS UGLY LITTLE GREMLIN DO TO MY REALITI?
>>
>>60195138
Wow agreed with every word you said.

I think this album is gonna be a grower on me. But it's more or less good. Even though I was hoping for the darker Grimes.

Oh well, kinda just makes me want to go and record what I was hoping Visions Pt. 2 to be.
>>
>>60195201
She made it, you fucking idiot. Just go listen to it on Youtube if you prefer the other version.
>>
File: Realiti.png (135 KB, 1410x880) Image search: [Google]
Realiti.png
135 KB, 1410x880
>>60195071
>pic related
>not mastered

top kek.
It's obviously mixed by listening to it.
>>
>>60195214
She honestly shouldn't have bothered remaking it. Parting ways with it after she released it for her chink fans or whatever would have been ideal
>>
new dl is much better, but same results again (4! 6! 7 9! 12 14 15)
its a 2.5/5 album at best imo
visions > halfaxa > angels > darkbloom > geidi
>>60191094
was thinking the same thing earlier today
>>
Fuck whoever did this watermark shit. I just got trolled for real. Went out with it downloaded on my phone expecting I'd have a good album to listen to.

Have a good chuckle you succeeded cunt
>>
>>60195224
I like both versions.
>>
>Opinion
It's a pop record clearly, so I'm judging it as that. It's ok tbqh, the donut comparison is actually quite accurate I think. >>60192826

>Fav Tracks
I dig Kill V. Maim, Artangels, and World Princess part II

>Low points
I can stand everything else, it's just ok, EXCEPT for Realiti. I ranted about the kick and vocals.
>>60195035
>>60195077
>>60195133
>>60195156
>>
File: CS2bUKuWsAAmsf_.png (185 KB, 599x320) Image search: [Google]
CS2bUKuWsAAmsf_.png
185 KB, 599x320
it's awful
and it's depressing that she re-did Realiti and took all the charm out of it.
UGHGH I'm so disappointed by this album, I'm on World Princess pt. II and I just can't wait for this album to end.
I'm a huge fan of Grime's music, I loved Visions and thought Geidi Primes was phenomenal. I don't know why she made the decisions she did here but god they weren't good ones.
>>
>>60195035
I sorta agree but I love how she sings "taking" in the chorus
>>
What did you all think of Pin? I feel like it's being overlooked a lot. But from a purely "how much my ears enjoy hearing it" standpoint I think it might be the best track on the album.
>>
Does anyone feel like the album sounds muddy as fuck? Like is this the production or quality? I just can't enjoy it like this.
>>
>>60195278
are you listening to the one OP posted? LOL!
>>
>>60195278
Are you listening to it from the OP?

Don't do that.
>>
>>60195278
As with 90% of the people bashing the album preemptively, you've listened to a mono 128kbps rip, edited with Hopsin soundbytes by trolls.
>>
>>60195285
I grabbed one in this thread, and I also downloaded one off kickass torrents earlier today. They sound the same. It's pissing me the fuck off.
>>
>>60195262
one of my favs, its in the trinity of art angels imo
flesh - pin - kill
(:
>>
>>60195299
There are no soundbytes in the one I have. It's definitely mono 128 though.
>>
>>60195138
she literally trashed an entire record because she thought it was too depressing, that amazing song (seriously GOAT grimes song) "David" she played live a few times was about her bestfriend killing himself, I think she just wanted to project her optimism at the moment with AA
>>
>>60195262
Pin is one of my favorite tracks.
>>
It's on Spotify if you can't find it elsewhere.

Or just buy it.
>>
The worst part is that people will probably praise the new version of Realiti as a "fully realized" version.
>>
>>60195338
Welcome to realiti.
>>
She tweets like she's a 14 year old scene girl, which is no surprise that is what the byproduct of this album is.
>>
>>60195349
made me kek out loud tbqh family
thanks anon, gonna go listen to the demo and be happier.
>>
File: 1445552684580.png (247 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1445552684580.png
247 KB, 500x374
>>60195299
I'm listening to the spotify stream
it's still god awful. I'm so disappointed
>>
File: haha.png (52 KB, 637x382) Image search: [Google]
haha.png
52 KB, 637x382
>>
>>60195351
Maybe she's just emotional because she was worried what people would think and is genuinely overwhelmed by how nice people were about it.

And Twitter is like the One Ring. There's no right way to use it.
>>
Yo, I'm buying it rite now. I'll upload it for you guiz.
>>
>>60195351
Twitter is designed for 14 year old scene girls.
Anyone will sound that way if they tweet.
>>
>>60195351
someone tweet her and tell her you fucking hated it
>>
>>60195254
at least the album ends on a highlight I guess. Butterfly isn't bad
>>
>>60195386
But I didn't though. And I'm sure she's already gotten tweets like that. There are just lots of people who like it so they're outnumbered by positive ones.
>>
>>60195370
Smh senpai desu
>>
Just finished listening, this is boring as shit. Only tracks I came away liking were California and Kill V Maim

It's just generic 90s pop, but with all the edges sanded down into bland bullshit. I literally started to fall asleep halfway though the album.

t.b.h. there are a whole shitload of actual top 40 pop albums released this year that are better than this
>>
>>60195441
you have either shitty ears or shitty speakers if you think it sounds like generic 90s pop.
>>
>>60195441
you're not listening hard enough.
>>
>>60195441
I agree with you 100%.
>>
>>60195516
Of course you do. You're the same person.
>>
>>60195522
incorrect
>>
Can't even begin to understand the people saying it sounds like generic top 40s/90s pop/disney channel singing. The hooks maybe, but there's so much harsh booming edge to everything. Maybe listen closer?
>>
>>60195441
>i like california
>i hate whatever generic
ok
>i almost fell asleep
ure an original baby
>i like tons of other top 40 released this year tho
we know, u like california

wat in the actual fuck are u even saying? u shouldnt be complaining about this at all
>>
i can't believe people actually like this album and are defending it
>>
>>60195603
They like it and are defending it because it's good.
>>
File: 0004809293_10.jpg (242 KB, 1200x927) Image search: [Google]
0004809293_10.jpg
242 KB, 1200x927
I'm just gonna listen to Negative Gemini to hear something along the lines of what Grimes used to do so well
>>
Question for the people who enjoyed this album:
Did you enjoy Grimes' previous works? Or was this what you were looking to get from her all along?
>>
forgettable
shitty choruses
too monotonous
>>
>>60190351
Honestly, if you like this album you are everything wrong with music.
>>
>>60195588
Go back to shitting up rym, Bayar
>>
>>60195640
Yes, I've listened to all of her past work several times, including her collabs, Halfaxa being my favorite of hers, and I think AA is great.
>>
>>60195640
I like her previous work and I like this album. I don't feel like this is that much of a departure from what she's done before. Tons of reverb, vocal harmonies everywhere and ravey sounding synths.
As far as it being different goes I'm open to people trying different things and don't really expect people artists to try recreate the same thing album after album.
>>
>>60195675
shut up.
I abhor this album and I still think that's a pretty stupid and childish way of looking at things. As it is, it's a meh pop album. In the context of Grimes' music, it's a very disappointing pop album (at least imo)
>>
>>60195675
I don't care if you didn't like the album, but saying that people enjoying a self-made, self-produced album when the industry at large is manufactured and supressive is 'everything wrong with music,' is fucking stupid.
>>
>>60195640
good pops: 4! 6! 7 9! 12 14 15
visions > halfaxa > angels > darkbloom > geidi
this album being 2.5/5
>>60195677
not even active on dem site boo
>>
>>60195695
And I can totally see why people like and in some cases even love this record. It's just not what I wanted from Grimes. I thought she really shined with albums like Geidi Primes and Visions (Visions being a great progression from GP), and I thought the demo of Realiti was phenomenal. I thought it was a great way for her to introduce new ideas into her music while still executing it in the way she did so well. I'm nothing but disappointed in the album, but I can totally see why people like it.
>>
>>60195640
I enjoyed the new album, but no, it wasn't what I was looking to get from her.

I think the new album is more or less good, maybe even great (desu I hated Flesh Without Blood at first but now I'm kinda loving it). I'm fairly disappointed though, I really prefer Grimes' older aesthetic and was hoping for more of that. Or more of Realiti (demo version), that's one of her best songs ever for sure.

So good album for me. I'm happy for Grimes. Still sad that it's so different, and not even in the pop sense. Grimes has obviously been moving toward more pop stuff, and I like that about her, but I was hoping for that to be combined with her older aesthetic. This new music is still VERY Grimes, just in a different way.
>>
Is nobody going to comment on the similarities between Realiti and Hyperballad?
>>
As somebody who has hated everything she has released so far, this album seems like an improvement. I still wouldn't say I enjoy it a lot, but I can at least sit through it without constantly wanting to turn it off.
I was stoked for this album when I heard Realiti the original demo, cause that was a seriously kickass track. The new album isn't nearly as cool as that one demo was. It is, however, probably the most 90's sounding album I've heard come out in the last ten years.
Artangels could have been a fucking Play song.
>>
That was pretty boring desu. The instrumentation sounds so stagnant throughout the songs. Bland guitar, bland synths, bland percussion, bland chord progressions. None of it really builds up to much and the first 30 seconds of most of the songs foreshadow what the rest of the song will sound like. Some melodies are pretty good though. It's mostly too safe sounding and isn't exploring or experimenting with anything. Sounds more like her just having fun making a pop record rather than trying to make something truly artistic. I like her vocals a lot too even though her lyrics are boring. Overall, I'd give it a 4.5 out of 10. :)
>>
>>60195262
i love pin! also, world Princess Part II is nice too
>>
>>60192489
i'm with you anon, definitely my favourite thing she's done
>>
>>60195675
Because it's wrong to have an opinion. Keep smoking weed and telling people their taste in music sucks, bro.
>>
I bought it from Google Play, and it sounds perfectly crisp and sharp. If you think it sounds muddy then you definitely have a bad rip.

This has more of a pop sound than any of her previous stuff, half of this album is radio friendly I'd say. So I guess it's not surprising that the most hipster board on 4chan hates it. I loved all of her previous albums, and I love this one just as much. It's just Grimes, but a bit more manic. Honestly, if she made this sound like Visions 2.0, people would whine about her becoming boring, being afraid to take chances, etc.
>>
File: tumblr_nxdwy2LqI81r7z66ao2_500.jpg (247 KB, 500x648) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxdwy2LqI81r7z66ao2_500.jpg
247 KB, 500x648
QUEEN
>>
File: tumblr_nxda97bfl41qbzr8yo1_540.gif (463 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxda97bfl41qbzr8yo1_540.gif
463 KB, 540x360
>>
File: dun.jpg (205 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
dun.jpg
205 KB, 500x491
>>60196343
upload... please?
>>
>>60196383
just buy it. its fucking 10 dollars.
>>
>>60196383
spotify
>>
why is this picture so hot?
>>
File: tumblr_nxdaaoUzcN1qbzr8yo1_540.gif (2 MB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxdaaoUzcN1qbzr8yo1_540.gif
2 MB, 540x360
>>
>>60196396
no, ill just wait for 320 then
>>60196408
i dont like spotify
>>
>>60191103
I lost my mind at how different it was, but yeah its just as good as the demo.
>>
>>60196396
poor people dont real
>>
>>60196512
cheap piece of shit
>>
>>60196535
oh you're poor? whered you get your computer and internet access? just be honest, you're lazy, dont think you should have to pay, some other lame excuse, etc. etc.

i mean if you dont give a fuck about grimes, ok. but if youre actually going to listen to it you should buy it.
>>
>>60196567
having enough money for internet access doesnt mean you have unlimited funds to blow on shit. i dont care for grimes either but that kind of thinking is retarded. whenever i download something without buying it i try to either buy the album later on or buy merch/attend shows when i can afford it
>>
B
E
H
A
V
E
>>
>>60196543
dont look at me
>>60196567
>but if youre actually going to listen to it you should buy it.
in wat world? i just want someone to help me upgrade this decent web rip to a proper 320 one so i can share it with more people, thats it
>>
>>60196409
its the well-dressed, mildly uncomfortable looking asian man in the background
>>
>>60192343
hello reddit t.b.h.s.m.h F A M
>>
>>60196605
Fair enough.
>>
>>60196621
I meant if you're a fan. In what world should music just be free?
>>
>>60190885
>she is capable of as a producer

dude, it sounds ultra garage band-y, it's bad, it's really bad
>>
>>60191706
lmao
>>
>>60195239
but even as a pop album it's bad, if I wanted to listen to pop, Id go with katy perry or fucking carly, taylor, etc.
>>
>>60195351
>i thought everyone was gonna hate it

she knew it was fucking bad, and went through with it anyway? terrible
>>
File: 2NX1m0tT2uk.jpg (49 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
2NX1m0tT2uk.jpg
49 KB, 618x800
>>60193969
>comes into my dreams
>says she'll never be my dream girl

Why is she doing this to us?
>>
>>60190351

grimes is qt but a canadian on /int/ said she doesnt shower.
>>
It's a bad album
>>
>>60193969
lool
>>
>>60195001
>dat new version of Realiti
Literal shit
>>
The whole album is depressing, it's basically grimes stripped of anything that made her music charming and unique, add in generic pop punk guitars..
>>
>>60195640
I've honestly never understood the Grimes hype before this album. From the couple of times I listened to Halfaxa I really didnt think much of it. Most of the songs were way too washed out for my liking and quite masturbatory at times.

I loved the poppier elements on Visions. The first half is killer. But the songs that weren't as catchy weren't offering much by way of sound or songwriting.
I always felt Grimes was a better pop artist than anything else.

This is the first album of hers that's absolutely blown me away. It's a massive album and her most realised work yet. Best song writing without a doubt. Interesting sound palette. Great integration of 90s sounds with a lot of current pop sounds (very PC music-y). And there's still that cutesy Grimes charm coming through with the production as well. It's a huge album but still feels homely and personal.

I think in every aspect this album is a step up from her previous work. I think in general this is a crowing achievement in pop music.

Definitely one of the best albums of the year, coming from someone who never bought into the grimes hype.
>>
As much as I love Visions, I do not want another one. Judging by the REALiTi demo, that new album she made was basically going to be Visions 2. While that undoubtedly would have been good, it would not have set Grimes apart from the many other artists out today doing what she did 3 years ago. I'll be honest and say that I kind of wish this album was a bit more experimental, but fuck is still incredible. She has hinted that her next album is going to be more experimental. I think with this album she just wanted to prove to herself and the world that she isn't fucking around; that she can write monster pop songs; that she isn't an amateur anymore or a one-trick pony.
>>
>>60196835
Why are you listening to Grimes if you don't like pop? It's been a part of her sound since the beginning.
>>
I liked flesh without blood but wew lad this shit is bad
>>
I think a lot of people are afraid to embrace the pop that influences most music they love. A lot of Björk's music was heavily inspired by mainstream pop music, just like Grimes' music is and has always been heavily influenced by pop. If you love a song directly inspired by Mariah Carey, is Mariah Carey not then valuable?
>>
>>60197314
people are fucking idiots and think because its popular here it can't be heavily pop influenced.
>>
>>60190351
Is that the link with the random DJ snippets in the middle of songs
>>
>>60190351
What genre would you categorise this album as? Indie Pop/Indietronica? Or is it too eclectic to file under a genre or two?
>>
>>60197426
Don't download OP's link,
Download the mega link a few comments below it as it isn't upscaled or edited.
>>
File: bruh.jpg (68 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
68 KB, 1280x719
>this version of Realiti

Why...
>>
>says she has better tracks that Realiti
>Realiti the best song on Art Angels
>>
>>60196676
if ure a fan of something oh yeah definitely
i try to buy everything i love
>>60197339
people care about memes
thats the problem
>>60197426
found a good 320
http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/dSxnTCT5/file.html
>>60197430
synth/electro pop
>>
Well here she is being dynamic and cool

Now can we go Bach to lo-fi potato shit because that's what I like
>>
kill maim was good, I have to re-listne to the rest, some sounded kinda generic.
>>
Why am I getting DJ Aaron Ellis tags on Spotify?
>>
Venus Fly is a masterpiece
>>
>>60195231
>tripfag

stopped reading here
>>
>>60195262
I agree, Pin is the best here.
>>
>>60191621
arigatou rudeboy
>>
a few hours ago i really wasn't feeling this album, but it's grown on me a bit now. certainly wasn't expecting that. kinda just focused on the grimiest details in the production and then after a few more listens it just clicked.
>>
>>60197927
also the cutesy growls in kill v. maim are hilarious
>>
File: ok.jpg (27 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
27 KB, 400x300
>>60197827
>>
Wow, Fantano is already shitting on it.
>>
>>60197987
Where?
>>
>>60197987
He's always hated Grimes. He's an elitist.
>>
>>60197927
This. Cause the hooks aren't as apparent straight away

Once you see how bloody catchy every song on here is, das when it gets good senpai
>>
Flesh Without Blood is great...
Pin is all right.
The rest. Is well, ok. I like what Butterfly is going for, but it doesn't succeed at it, and overall...
The songs just don't grip me.
I love Grimes' poppy side. but this doesn't quite cut it for me.

Realiti is butchered, the delivery isn't as on point as the demo.

Would have preferred an equally poppy album but with that melodic and emotional quality she occasionally hits (in crystal ball, genesis and realiti (demo) for example).
I've never been a fan of her more "experimental" side so I think she's making the right move moving towards straight-up pop,
hopefully her next album will be more on point in my ears.
>>
>>60196851
>she knew it was fucking bad, and went through with it anyway? terrible

she said that people will love it or hate it, but it really shows where she is as a producer
>>
>>60196851
Thst doesn't mean she thinks it's bad.
>>
i feel like the only person into grimes who never really cared for realiti.
>>
>>60198192
Whaaaaaaaasaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?
>>
>>60198205
it's sort of like 4 minutes of the same thing to me, i never found anything that interesting about it. so many people say it's one of her best but ehh. i donno.
>>
>>60198177
Most artists worry about people hating their new project.
>>
>>60198238
Haha but that "same thing" is pretty amazing if you ask me.

May I ask what you like about Grimes music?
>>
>>60195640
Yes, I love all of her albums. Visions is still my favourite though I didn't expect Art Angels to be somehow similar.
>>
>>60198266
that's the thing about a track like that, it's the sort of thing where if you're into the tune you'll love it because not much else goes on. doesn't take anything away from the track for anyone else, i just never got into it.

donno, i enjoy her voice a ton and the odder side of her productions. not to say that a simple track with the right tune isn't great as well.
>>
>>60196409
Where is this from?
>>
>>60196512
pathethic and disrespectful to an artist
>>
>>60198352
Her Instagram.
>>
Literally Tumblr: The Album
>>
>>60196807
get a better headphones then
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.