[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of the flaming lips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1429393431747.jpg (155 KB, 640x629) Image search: [Google]
1429393431747.jpg
155 KB, 640x629
What does /mu/ think of the flaming lips?
>>
Made a lot of great music and seem like they're still having fun
>>
saw them live and it was a fantastic show. gf at the time made me leave that stage to go see smashing pumpkins. god dammit
>>
File: Cover.jpg (223 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
223 KB, 953x953
best album to be honest
>>
>>60184991
nah
>>
>>60184991
disappointing
they have a nice sound but they don't anything with it
>>
>>60185048
agreed. hit to death was their best album. pure creative bliss/

that said, it was a wild ride down to the bottom as it slowly devolved into what we have now: some random shit like steven drozd makes up a cheesy piano line and wayne sorta babbles on top of it, full on inspirational speaker mode.

in some parallel universe, steve never tried heroin and ronald jones would still be a part of the band, and they would be making the most awesome music.

fav non hit to death track: "lightning strikes the postman"
>>
>>60185654
>random shit like steven drozd makes up a cheesy piano line and wayne sorta babbles on top of it, full on inspirational speaker mode.

forgot the part where wayne brings literally childrens toys into the studio and dave friddman has to make it sound good. `

you should never go full retard.
>>
>>60185041
>gf at the time made me leave that stage to go see smashing pumpkins. god dammit
You should've a told her "I'll stay here, you just go see your pumpkins"
>>
>>60184991
Bullshiters turning wank into cash
>>
>>60184991
DUDEWEEDLMAO the band
>>
>>60184991
fell off harder than Christopher Reeve
>>
they have a few good things here and there, but overall they really feel more like a bad parody of psychedelic bands.
>>
>>60185048
Not best, but underrated for sure
>>
They were a great band.
>>
>>60185048
That truly is their crowning achievement.
>>
>>60186488
so true.

the miley thing was a real wake up call. truth is they jumped shark long ago I was just holding on to the good old days.
>>
>>60186618
>bad parody of psychedelic bands.

dukes of stratosphear being the GOOD parody of psychedelic bands.
>>
>>60184991
I always think about listening to them but then I realise they're pretty mediocre and I could just be listening to OTC or Mercury Rev instead.
>>
>>60185654
>wayne sorta babbles on top of it, full on inspirational speaker mode
I saw them live a couple of years back and the show ran over by 45 minutes because wayne was clearly high as a fucking kite the entire time and stopped to deliver 5-15 minute stoner speeches between every fucking song.
>>
took acid at a free flaming lips show on the portland waterfront. one of the best shows ive been to, it was awesome. they did lucy in the sky with diamonds at the end as it was getting dark and the lights they had set up made it look like it was raining diamonds.
>>
>>60184991
terrible
>>
amazing live

bland on cd
>>
File: flaming-lips-the-soft-bulletin.jpg (250 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
flaming-lips-the-soft-bulletin.jpg
250 KB, 1000x1000
>>60187407
The Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev had different strengths. Mercury Rev at their best were more blissful and euphoric, with themes relating to ego death (Yerself Is Steam), drugs and alcohol (Boces) or fantasy (See You On the Other Side), while the Flaming Lips took an approach that looked more at humanity - hope and light in the face of pure despair.
>>
wayne coyne seems like a huge poser douchebag irl but i like zaireeka
>>
Not the best really (especially post-Soft Bulletin), but they are still pretty creative and have a very interesting backlog
>>
>>60184991
Great band, most of their albums are excellent, even the ones that aren't are still decent. The Terror is one of their best, so I'm excited to see what they do on the next album.
>I even liked Miley's album
>>
why all the wayne hate? he seems pretty chill
>>
>>60184991
Good band, but their name sounds like a slang for oral herpes.
>>
>>60188762
It is
>>
They couldn't save Miley's album
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.