[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/, what happened to Jazz? I'm not talking about the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: dur.jpg (155 KB, 1200x1084) Image search: [Google]
dur.jpg
155 KB, 1200x1084
/mu/, what happened to Jazz?

I'm not talking about the new smooth jazz shit. I'm talking about enigmatic, creative, compelling, original music created by people who could subjectively orchestrate their thoughts and feelings into a purely instrumental form?

Has this all been lost? Does anyone else on /mu/ listen to jazz?

I live in Toronto, and I can visit the Rex. I can make my way to NYC, Chicago, and Tokyo, and get a glimpse... a taste if you will... of what it was like. But I strongly fear that we will never as a species see such an incredibly artistic form of natural, manual, analog musical talent ever again.

The world as we know it is becoming entirely technological - and more than likely, the way of human interaction with anything by way of an actual physical instrument and intuitive inclination will soon be entirely relegated to the past, like an afterthought.
>>
jazz musicians focus more on skill and technique now. still great.
>>
File: 1435418062005.jpg (15 KB, 369x299) Image search: [Google]
1435418062005.jpg
15 KB, 369x299
>>59674864
no my man, you're a special snowflake and the only one enlightened enough to criticize the state of jazz in the year 2015
thanks for your scholar analysis and your strong arguments
>>
>>59674892

Skill and technique are simply perfecting someone else's creativity. Where is the creativity by way of emotion?
>>
>>59674864
jazz these days often focuses less on the "head - solos - head" arrangement.

People are trying to add more variety into their songwriting. There is still a lot of quality material being produced, and clubs in every major cities will have no-namers playing their asses off.
>>
>>59674959

I've been to these clubs. Some of the music coming out of them sounds like absolute garbage. What I'm making a case for (OP here, obviously) is the soul that goes into producing a true jazz piece. Not the effort, or the skill, or the sound, or whatever.

I'm talking about the engagement, the feeling, the depth of a song. It's simply rarely there anymore.

Furthermore, Jazz is no longer in the scope of 99% of all modern music listeners.
>>
File: folder.jpg (437 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
437 KB, 1000x1000
>>59675024
u should listen to this then :^)
very emotive and absolutely original masterpiece!
>>
niggas be talking shit, that's what's up
>>
File: buddyrich.jpg (46 KB, 450x554) Image search: [Google]
buddyrich.jpg
46 KB, 450x554
>>59674946
pic related. master of skill and technique, yet still the best jazz drummer.
>>
>>59675094

who dat doe.
>>
>>59675149

kamasi washington - the epic
>>
Is there any album that emotional as Kind Of Blue? I don't listen to a lot of jazz albums, but KOB is a stand out.
>>
>>59675225
What do you mean by emotional? When I think of "emotional" a track like this comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7m5joZPP0U

There is still lots of other stuff that I would consider emotional that doesn't sound even close to the track I posted or KOB, it's such a general term.
>>
Holy shit the nature of jazz is change and it's current permutations are still fantastic. Tons of great musicians making great work but it's not going to be some traditionalist shit like Wynton Marsalis
>>
>>59675094
Don't listen to this album, these guys are not at the top of their game.

This album, and this man is definitely subjectively orchestrating his thoughts and feelings into a purely instrumental form. I'm probably biased because I just saw him live in Seattle last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1JnHCqqu64
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.