[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Record Labels General?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: montage_20s_h.gif (152 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
montage_20s_h.gif
152 KB, 600x500
Anyone want to talk about record labels?
Good ones, bad ones, unique ones?

Personally, I like Square of Opposition, keeps shit constantly repressed, has awesome sales, super cool to deal with.

Ghostly International is another fav, the packaging is beautiful on all the releases I have by them and I love their involvement in other art related stuff.

Ormo is a classic but he's slow as fuck.

Bad label, Run for Cover. I own a ton of shit from them and pretty much all of it is literally physically warped. Fucking sucks.
If they'd knock off the shit with 20 different novelty colors and just found a decent plant and got everything done in black it'd be a lot better.
>>
Rokafella is garbage. They don't even care about the quality of their shit if it isn't digital. If you want a kanye record, you're probably better buying a bootleg
>>
>>59589115
They do have some good artists though, but I'm pretty sure Hopsin and Lil Wayne are signed to them.
>>
File: L-204780-1385504416-8790_jpeg.jpg (21 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
L-204780-1385504416-8790_jpeg.jpg
21 KB, 472x472
pic related is another one that puts a lot of love and care into their releases.
small runs, beautiful packaging, nice little extras.
>>
Some random thoughts:

RIP Fuck it Tapes

I also miss when Not Not Fun was not not shit. They used to have great music and it would always come with a nice gift. They gave me a copy of the Forbidden Planet soundtrack on cassette with a hand-sewn cloth cover, pretty dope.

I can't believe DNT records is still around, and I try to support the guy because he's pretty cool. But most of their music is meh, honestly.
>>
>>59589261
Recently I've been getting into Eremite and Cuneiform, they both consistently have great shit.

Also this archival/78s-reissue label Canary records, interesting stuff and a lot cheaper than Dust-to-Digital.
>>
>>59589261
I have 2 early NNF releases, they're great. Oragami animals, Xerox pics, scribbled lyric sheets, hand numbering.
Looking at their archive on the website is neat stuff
>>
>>59589318
Yea, I can't hate on them for finding success, but I preferred when it was just Britt and Amanda. They were great at making everything feel personal. Doesn't help that not much of what they've release recently has moved me.
>>
Have you guys heard or sub pop records?

Prob not, but they're pretty good for
>>
>>59589394
Bait of moderate quality.
>>
There is something about Luaka Bop that draws me to their releases.
>>
File: L-169635-1410777678-7619_jpeg.jpg (5 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
L-169635-1410777678-7619_jpeg.jpg
5 KB, 320x320
music on vinyl does really amazing reissues etc. They're a bit expensive but they put out good stuff and the higher initial retail price keeps the resale value from being retarded.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.