[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Jazz listener here, Kamasi Washington's new album got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: BFDNL050_The_Epic_HIGHRES.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
BFDNL050_The_Epic_HIGHRES.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1200
New Jazz listener here, Kamasi Washington's new album got me into the genre. I've started listening to stuff like John Coltrane and Miles Davis. All three of these artists sound the same to me. Each song they're all playing a Sax over some drums and and a piano. I think I enjoy their music but why does Jazz music lack so much diversity?

Maybe I'm listening to Jazz wrong. Can someone enlighten me?
>>
>>55676866

>Maybe I'm listening to Jazz wrong. Can someone enlighten me?

Yes, try using your ears instead of your butt.
>>
This is terrible bait. Kamasi made a good album and he deserves better than this. Honestly just look at a chart if you're that clueless.
>>
>>55676902

I'm not really talking about Kamsai's album - I liked it. I'm talking about Jazz music and its lack of diversity. It's hard to tell Kamasi Washington, John Coltrane, and Miles Davis apart. They all sound the same. Each has the exact same instruments in all their songs, no more no less. (Kamasi might have a rare synth at the end of a song)
>>
>>55676883
> try using your ears instead of your butt
legit kek'd
>>
>>55676866
B8 B8 B8 B8 B8 B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8B8
>>
gr8 thread
>>
>>55676973
You mentioned listening to Coltrane. Take a listen to these, from different periods in his career. You really think they sound alike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZHUVjQydI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5cRYd1Vr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgrQhBTDfhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_znSj_mDO-Y
>>
>>55677123

I only listened to Love Supreme if that brings things into context.
>>
If you think that diversity comes from having different instrumentation then you are listening to jazz wrong.

Listen to what they are playing and how they play it.
>>
>Miles Davis
>sax

u wot m8
>>
>>55676866
>fantanos opinion
>relevant at all

seriously sometimes i just feel so sad for you guys
>>
File: 1216128.jpg (19 KB, 300x308) Image search: [Google]
1216128.jpg
19 KB, 300x308
>>
thanks kamasi
>>
>>55677179
OP didn't even mention Fantano
>>
>>55677211
yes but you and i both know the only reason this is getting talked about is because of his score
>>
>jazz "fans" continue to shitpost when someone is trying to understand the genre

Why is Jazz dead again?
>>
File: 1428074411629.png (8 KB, 679x427) Image search: [Google]
1428074411629.png
8 KB, 679x427
>>55676866
>>55676973
>jazz music
>lacking diversity
you fuggin serious mang
>>
>>55676866
>New rock listener here. the new Blur album has me listening to rock. I've been getting into Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan. They sound exactly the same. Vocals over guitar and drums and bass. Maybe I'm listening to rock wrong?
>>
>>55676866
Jazz instruments are often clean and dont have much variation in tone
>>
>>55677234
OP can't even tell the difference between trumpet and sax. If he isn't going to take the time to listen carefully, why should anyone take the time to indulge his lazy ignorance?
>>
>>55676973
Well let's start with the basics. Like reading the liner notes and credits for example.

Miles Davis plays trumpet, Coltrane plays sax, Davis' most popular records feature Coltrane on sax...

This is why Davis and Coltrane sound the same sax wise, because its the same sax player.
>>
>>55676973
Can you not tell when there's a choir or strings or trumpet or sax or piano or electric bass or upright bass or etc.

This has to be bait.
>>
OP here, seems like I struck a chord (kek).

Here's a demostration of how I'm baffled at the lack of diversty in Jazz. Compare these songs performed by Kamasi Washington, John Coltrane, and Miles Davis. They're very hard to distinguish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgeF3wS0xTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NFS8WXfCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fth9UUa1Mfw

If i played these songs to someone who has no knowledge of Jazz, they would think they're a part of the same album.
>>
File: d90.jpg (32 KB, 600x446) Image search: [Google]
d90.jpg
32 KB, 600x446
>>55676866
>All three of these artists sound the same to me
>>
>>55677285
>Davis' most popular records feature Coltrane on sax

Bitches Brew is debatably his most popular record in this circle, and that's Wayne Shorter.
>>
>>55677327
this b8 is too obvious m8
>>
>>55677285
Furthermore, miles and trane have completely different styles. One plays very deliberate, one plays more wild and intensely. Like the difference between David Gilmour and Jimmy Page.
>>
>>55677285

Thanks for a useful reply here. I listened to "Kind of Blue" and Coltrane is indeed credited for his tenor.
>>
>>55677348
Isn't Kind of Blue widely considered to be his most famous album? Sure Bitches Brew is popular too, but when people recommend miles it's almost always first Quintet.
>>
>>55677373
OP is not quite the b8master yet
>>
>>55677373

>prompts discussion about jazz
>must be b8

just trying to appreciate the genre more.
>>
>>55676866

I genuinely hope you're not trolling. If not, I can totally relate, as I felt the same way when I started listening to jazz. Here, though, are a couple songs performed by one of my favourite musicians:

Little Messenger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDw_qS645k0

Five Spot After Dark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BlHRPXPx-4

Saxophone, trombones, trumpets, and clarinets all play prominent roles in jazz music and each has its own different taste. I have a preference towards trombone and clarinet, myself.

Here's Buddy DeFranco performing "The Things We Did Last Summer":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbFeiLvHK5Q
>>
>>55677451
>discussion about jazz

lol
>>
>Each song they're all playing a Sax over some drums and and a piano.
Yes they use instruments, try listening to whats done with the instruments next time.
>>
>>55677477
>Five Spot After Dark:

Thanks for this, I like it. So basically the diversity in Jazz is that they use different wind instruments and each artist does their own improvisation?
>>
>/mu/ user listens to memejazz album because meme reviewer made a video saying it was good
>/mu/ user assumes the memejazz must be good because because memecritic said it was and /mu/ user has never heard anything like it
>/mu/ user decides to listen to more jazz
>/mu/ user doesn't put any time or effort into paying attention to or understanding jazz
>decides it's boring
>turns to avant garde/spiritual/aggressive free jazz because it has weird instruments, neat costumes, and loud noises
>develops a faux elitist attitude and thinks that avant garde jazz is the only good kind

now I understand the cycle
>>
>>55677654
Well, no. Not really. That's just a part of the diversity. Each instrument has its own sound, but just as vocals can form sounds we percieve as sounds that tell stories or otherwise convey information, so can instruments form sounds that can capture an atmosphere and do the same, though more vaguely.

It's the same as classical, or really any instrumental genre of music. It's just emotion, atmosphere, and story through sound.

Example: Listen to Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" with words. Then, listen to it without the words. It turns out that the music itself is composed in such a manner as to tell a story.

Also, I'm glad you like "Five Spot After Dark". It's pretty great, imho.
>>
>>55677738
>but just as vocals can form sounds we percieve as sounds

Got caught up in what I was saying. Pretend I didn't say "sounds" so many times.
>>
>>55677327
As someone who doesn't listen to jazz, I can agree with OP... sort of.

I think they sound different enough to be distinguishable, but not so much that I'd want to listen to more than one or two of them. I like Jazz as ambient music, but couldn't just sit and listen to it.

To be honest though, it might be familiarity (or in this case, the lack thereof)
>>
>>55677738

Yeah I think I get it. I'm usually good about getting into the the atmosphere of what I'm listening to, I think that because Coltrane plays sax a bit on "Kind of Blue" I thought Davis and Coltrane were similar in sound. Also thinking too much and not really feeling the music I guess.
>>
>>55677889
>I like Jazz as ambient music, but couldn't just sit and listen to it.

Jesus Christ
>>
>>55677897
Right. Unless you're specifically educated or trained in a manner that allows you to do so with ease, it's almost a waste of time to actually try and pick out individual patterns while listening to a track(though, by all means, if you'd really like to do so, go ahead. You may be more perceptive than I).

Just sit back and listen to the story the musician is telling. Even if all you can pick up is vague emotion, sometimes that's all the artist needs to convey.
>>
File: 1426396594822.jpg (289 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1426396594822.jpg
289 KB, 900x600
>>55676866

>Wow i Just saw this picture of the album and wrote all this before i even read this text. whatever.

This album is Epic for sure, I had the chance to download a copy a couple days before the release, I really need to see this band live.

Today I woke up listening to Claire de Luna from this record, I fell asleep to it. For sure its my favorite interpretation of it as John Clotrane's my favorite things is the best interpretation. I was honestly looking for a vynal of this record today but sadly found out its only for digital money download and a three disc CD. I hope they produce a collectors vynal or something. This album makes me feel positive for jazz. Now someone needs to do this to Reggae.
>>
Your brain isn't as used to hearing the subtleties in the music then.

Do you think Rush sounds the same as Nirvana? They both feature the same instruments and same lineup.

Playing dynamics, melody/note choice, structures, chordal movements, the role of the bass etc - there's lots more different components which separate different jazz artists of the same instruments.
>>
>>55677897
it's important to remember that saying when you say Coltrane's sound you just mean that one album you listened to. Coltrane also makes transcendental avant jazz noise albums too, and things all in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FyGClOb690

To hear some more diversity, take a listen to another seminal jazz album, Out to Lunch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cklbhkm1HrE
>>
>>55676866
>Miles Davis
>lacking diversity

You simply need to listen to more of his music, m8.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.