[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: stories of people being dumb as shit about music. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8
File: 1359169463885.jpg (135 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
1359169463885.jpg
135 KB, 500x625
ITT: stories of people being dumb as shit about music.

I'm not talking about how your cousin didn't know Death Grips did an ARG or how your ex didn't hear of some band with less then 1,000 last.fm scrobbles or something, just general shit that makes people look like dumbfucks

>Mad World by Tears for Fears starts playing at work
>me: I love this song
>coworker: it's good, but this isn't the original, that one is better
>mfw

also, the Gary Jules version sucks shit
>>
"kanye is a legitimately talented and quality artist"
>>
>>55154859
>>Mad World by Tears for Fears starts playing at work
>>coworker: I love this song
>>
>fallout boy is my favorite band

Took me a couple seconds to comprehend that this was serious and not some post ironic joke.
>>
>on date with girl I met online
>we're talking about music
>tell her my favorite band is The Beach Boys
>she laughs and talks about how her grandpa likes them
>says its lame old people rock
>become uninterested in her immediately
>don't even try to bang, drop her off and never call her again
>>
>>55154948
ah the ol' reddit switcharoo
>>
>>55154949
That's an opinion, not a stupid statement.

A stupid statement would be
>Fallout Boy is the best band ever. No one is more talented.

Also, I don't think you know what post or ironic mean.
>>
>>55155005
/mu/ isn't supposed to be smart
>>
>>55154963
Never take stuff like that personally. I just slowly forced my musical tastes on my last girlfriend. We broke up but every once in a while we still talk about music just because I got her into a lot of the stuff she listens to now.
>>
>>55155036
Yeah but opinions are subjective. You can have an uninformed opinion but, especially involving music, you can't have a stupid opinion.
>>
>>55155088
>you can't have a stupid opinion.
Fucking millennials
>>
>>55155053
Normally I wouldn't care that all that much and wouldn't let it ruin a relationship, but she was kind of a bitch anyway. Her not liking the beach boys was just the tipping point. I even played her god only knows and she thought it sucked, I mean come on.
>>
>>55155088
>You can't have a stupid opinion

That's fucking stupid dude
>>
>talking about hip hop with my brother
>"anon you ever listen to hopsin? he's pretty good"

i had to maintain my normal demeanor and not let my /mu/ ">IMPLYING" come out, pretty difficult
>>
>>55155150
I'm sorry you feel that way.
>>
>>55155166
>mfw I've heard like 6 people at my college say hopsin's the best MC because he "raps about the real shit"
>>
>>55155166
Hopsin was my first introduction to hip hop that wasn't on the radio as a white, middle class suburbanite. After that, I got into OF. After that, I got into Childish, then Chance, then Doom, the Kendrick, then Flying Lotus. Honestly, Hopsin is not a bad place to start. It's like hip hop with training wheels.
>>
>>55155223
You're literally still on Hip-Hop with training wheels
>>
>>55155166
>>55155212

short hopsin conversation with my brother continued:

>"why don't you like hopsin?"
>he's not a very good rapper and he's gimmicky as fuck
>"he's no more gimmicky than eminem when he first got big"

my blood pressure went up significantly after that conversation
>>
>>55155223
>childish
>chance
lol you think they're any better than hopsin?
>>
>>55154859
>the Gary Jules version sucks shit
based anon

>people unironically dislike Tears For Fears
>they have never heard Raoul and the Kings of Spain or Songs from the Big Chair
>they don't understand the musical dichotomy of the original version of Mad World
life is suffering
>>
>>55154964
lel for realzies reddit btfo
>>
>>55155223

there are a lot better places to start with hip hop. for instance, all the amazing (and very accessible) hip hop that came out in the late 80's/early 90s. i don't usually call many artists "objectively bad" but hopsin is certainly one of them
>>
>>55155238
I was just giving the basics. Right now, my favorite hip hop artists are Danny Brown, Open Mike Eagle, Run The Jewels, and BADBADNOTGOOD. No, I'm not an expert in the genre but I'd like to think I've grown a lot in my taste from what it initially was.
>>
>>55155241
He's right though

I mean Eminem is still miles above Hopson but I remember the gimmicky Slim Shady shit during its heyday very very well
>>
>>55155223
Go check out Pell. And Run The Jewels. And Logic. Should keep you busy for awhile.
>>
File: tired of bullhit.jpg (224 KB, 664x627) Image search: [Google]
tired of bullhit.jpg
224 KB, 664x627
>>55155270
>>55154859

>saying one version of a song is shit because they prefer the other
>>
>>55155242
In my opinion, yes. Why would you say they aren't?
>>
>>55155303

but he (and you) are ignoring the fact that eminem was gimmicky but also actually a good rapper, had good production, etc. etc.

hopsin is just total garbage
>>
>gf tells me she wants American Pie by Don Mclean played at her funeral
>tell her sing-a-longs are for children
>>
>>55155322
I agree but the Gary Jules version is so very fucking overplayed
>>
>>55155297
True. That's what huge gap I have when it comes to what hip hop I listen to.
>>
>>55155337
Hopsin's flow isn't all that bad. It can be cheesy as he'll, but so could Eminem. His production is absolute shit though.
>>
>>55155337
No I'm not ignoring that at all, in fact I mentioned that Eminem is far better

But your brother's statement about him being no more gimmicky than Slim Shady era Eminem is right. That has nothing to do with how good or bad the artists are or their production. I mean let's face it, Eminem is the guy who enraged national media and soccer mom's everywhere by having kids pretend to fuck in a music video.
>>
>>55155344
true, but that does not make it a shit version
>>
>>55155322
>people liking a cover more than the original song just because they hear it more
>people not listening to the original after hearing a cover to understand if the person covering the song even understands the piece
Gary Jules copped out on just making the song sound as depressing as the lyrics are
>>
>>55155309
Love Run The Jewels and I've been recommended Logic by like 5 friends. Will give Pell a try. Thanks.
>>
>>55155400
Sure but there really is no objective meter to judging shittiness so subjective opinions are all we have to go on
>>
>>55155322

It's mad world, not depressing and fucking hopeless world. Gary jules version just a very bad try at sounding 2deep4u
>>
>>55155394

idk its just eminem's "gimmicky" thing (and it sure as hell was don't get me wrong) was at least a novel idea at the time. i just can't think of a reason to sit down and listen to an entire hopsin album. is it the contact lenses? eminem was a filthy rapper back in the day, it made the gimmick interesting
>>
>>55155336
>both are literally living memes
>how are they bad?

:^)?
>>
>>55155503
This explains nothing.

You just used a buzzword or memes and expect me to react all butthurt.
>>
>>55155343
ugh why do gfs say such cringey things anon?
>>
>>55155562

I'm serious. They are both literal memes. If you don't get it then enjoy being a pleb
>>
>>55155562

He's right tho. Gambino and chance are the perfect definition of memerap.
>>
>>55155783
if the shit sonically sounds fine what the fuck is the problem then? If I like to put Urn in my smoking playlist then fuck right off
>>
Hello, do you have time to speak today about how I'm on the comeup?
>>
File: 1420430801499.jpg (46 KB, 438x336) Image search: [Google]
1420430801499.jpg
46 KB, 438x336
>couple weeks ago, at work
>playing daft punk discography
>woman comes in with friend
>they get up to the counter
>Harder Better Faster is playing
>"hey I haven't heard this version before, didn't kanye do this? this is a cool remix"
>me, my coworker, and her friend all stare her
>her friend finally breaks the silence
>"this is the original"
>>
My sister legitimately thinks popularity = quality. She also thinks that all instrumental music regardless of quality or genre is terrible.
>>
>>55155212
I bet they like Immortal Technique as well
>>
File: 1428718534217.jpg (95 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1428718534217.jpg
95 KB, 447x444
>>55156702
oh dear
>>
Me that time I was complicit with going to a Phish concert.

You know it's bad when their best song is a cover of Rock and Roll they played because Lou Reed died.
>>
> Go to Aesop Rock concert
> Swagfag with ironically cheap sunglasses at night, high socks, and an Earl sweatshirt on
> "I mean hes ok but its fucked up that hes using A$AP Rocky's name for exposure"
>>
>>55156899
Trey can fucking jam though. Sorry you have shit taste.
>>
>>55155765
>>55155783
So what?
>>
>>55156982
It's not the musicianship, it's the songs. Grateful Dead could jam, but they also had memorable songs. Even the Dave Matthews Band had a couple catchy songs, despite not really being interesting musically overall.
>>
>>55154964
I'M GOING IN
>>
>Listening to Boards of Canada, picking up my friends to go to the party
>my friends are mainly metal heads, but don't mind my music, even rec me metal stuff they'd think I like
>Of course they bring that one friend, who for the record I don't like because he's the epitome of a tryhard, too cool for the room, gleeful contrarian idiot.
>Not even five minutes in the goddamn car and he has to make the entire ride all about him
>"Can you change the music? This shit is BORING."
>No one pity laughs him, I switch it to the local radio rock station
>"Yeah, see, why can't they make music like this anymore? All this pussy computer shit and indie douche rock."
>Fucking Volbeat is playing on the radio.
>>
>>55157239
I had a similar Boards of Canada experience

>Have like four, five friends over to play Risk
>"Hey anon, play some music, this is getting boring"
>I bring down my stereo from my room to the dining room and set up
>Play some Boards of Canada
>"What the fuck is this shit, it's so repetitive, play something good!"
>Sadly unplug my laptop
>Friendo plugs in iPod
>Plays Coldplay on shuffle
>>
>>55155783

Except memerap isn't a real genre, just some horse fesitivus Antz came up with because by 2012-2014 Hip-Hop had completely dwarfed the music discussion on the board.
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 374x386) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 374x386
>>55156702
oh dear
>>
>>55157402
>memerap isn't real
ok stuff like chance and kendrick aren't memerap but what else would you call lil b, viper, yung lean, etc.? those guys know they're memes and have similar aesthetics/sounds
>>
File: 1341997054749.jpg (55 KB, 410x380) Image search: [Google]
1341997054749.jpg
55 KB, 410x380
>>55157349
>playing BoC for your friends.
The fuck were you expecting?
>>
>In the car with gf
>Put on Angels of Light
>"anon can we listen to something else, this is gonna put me to sleep"
On the plus side though, she liked OPN
>>
>>55157496
lil b and viper are hip hop, just shit hip hop.
Yung Lean is called 'sad rap'.
>>
>>55157509
BoC is pussy magnet my man
>>
>>55157496
It's not memerap. It's just bad cloud rap.
There's no such thing as meme rap. By that logic we should call creed and limp bizkit meme rock.
>>
>>55157509
I thought we were still gonna talk and play Risk and 'hang out'. They asked anyway, and they know I like weird music. :^)
>>
>>55154948
I don't get it.

inb4 next post being
>i don't get it.
>>
>>55157496

Post Hip Hop, you fucking idiot. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>55157543
>post hip hop

memerap, cloud rap, post hip hop, ironic rap, etc.
this shit is getting ridiculous god damn
quit making up genres you idiots
>>
>>55157570
all genres are made up dude
>>
>>55156982
I love when Phish fans get so over defensive. Face it, no one cares about Phish.
>>
>>55156702
That's not even that bad, autist.
>>
>>55154949
Fall Out Boy is my favorite band.
AMA :)
>>
>>55156702
>this is the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwholYaw1Pw
>>
>>55154963
>Beach Boys
Please die
>>
>>55157769
if you don't think pet sounds is a good album you don't deserve to have ears
>>
>>55157813
>liking boring soft rock made by a nutcase
>rejecting a girl because she doesn't have your shitty taste in music
>>
>>55157842
Not that guy, but it's more how she reacted that's unattractive. She sounds rather vapid.
>>
>>55155343
kek
>>
>>55154963
She sounds kinda cool, at least she was'nt le wrong generation
>>
>>55154921
One reply before we got into shitposting
>>
File: hank.jpg (39 KB, 560x330) Image search: [Google]
hank.jpg
39 KB, 560x330
>>55158046
I want memerappers to fuck off and die.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.