[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where are thee?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6
Where are thee?
>>
i know a lot of those fellas but i haven't really listened to most of them.

sorry op
>>
>>55077373
like 2/3 of this list is well known
>>
>Level 1
I know all those bands and have listened to more than one album.
>Level 2
I know everything but the Aristocrats
>Level 3
I know everything and have listened to more than one album except for a few cases.
>level 4
I know at least 4 or 5 bands there and have heard a decent amount out of those bands.
Suffice t say I'm a prog nerd.
>>
>>55077373
That chart is all kinds of shit, super mainstream The Mars Volta, Devin Townsend and Oceansize being that esoteric? Nah man
>>
>>55077373

>Townsend
>Ayreon
>Magma

>obscure
>>
How is King Crimson weirder than Frank Zappa
>>
wheres the RiO dude
>>
>>55077417
All of those bands are well known
>>
>>55077373
>mars volta
>creep

ahahahahahahah
>>
>>55077373
I dig Floyd, Meshuggah, Animals As Leaders, Devin Townsend, Yes, and The Mars Volta.
I liked Rush as a kid and Dream Theater has been shit since I first heard them.
I've heard a few songs from Zappa, Tool, Opeth, Genesis, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Porcupine Tree, Camel and Caravan, and although they sound neat I haven't yet got the time to give them a proper listen.
Though some names seem familiar, the rest are unknown to me. Not a huge prog nerd though, but I appreciate it.
>>
Gobln & Caravan at the bottom/obscure tier? I don't listen to much prog but have quite a few Goblin records and seen them live. They're far from being obscure. Spock's Beard on the other hand..
>>
>Caravan
>Magma
>Spock's Beard
>Area
>Goblin
>The Nice

These shouldn't be anywhere near level 4. 'Irredeemable' would be that guy who listens to obscure neo-prog.
>>
File: Francesco_Petrarca00.jpg (42 KB, 317x497) Image search: [Google]
Francesco_Petrarca00.jpg
42 KB, 317x497
>>55077373

>magma at the bottom
>not Kōenji Hyakkei, Art Zoyd, or Robert Wyatt
>>
>>55077373
I know all these bands
Wtf is this shit
>>
>>55077373
level one isn't even mostly prog (queensryche, meshuggah, opeth, and pink floyd) and i've listened to all of this stuff

level two is just the golden age of prog, minus porcupine tree and btbam and i've listened to andf loved all but porcupine tree and btbam

level three is all entry level shit except gentle giant and camel

level four is bullshit. the nice, spock's beard, caravan, dixie dregs, and goblin aren't obscure at all.

this chart ignores canterbury and assumes everyone only knows prog metal and golden age shit
>>
>>55077373
how are karnivool deeper than crimson , or even animals as leaders?
>>
way past 5, I guess

Ayreon?

Le Orme?

Oceansize?

Planet X?
>>
>>55077373
>This shit is from Facebook
Not surprising
>>
>>55077373
More accurate list (in genres)

>level 1
Symphonic prog
Heavy prog
Post prog
Prog metal

>level 2
Psychedelic/space rock
Post-rock/math rock
Neo prog
Crossover prog
Eclectic prog

>level 3
Experimental/post metal
Jazz/Rock fusion
Krautrock
Prog folk
Progressive electronic
RIO/Avant-prog

>level 4
Tech/Extreme metal
Rock Progressivo Italiano
Indo prog/Raga rock
Progg
Zeuhl
>>
>>55077373
you misspelled 'irredeemable'
>>
File: 1407380143272.jpg (22 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
1407380143272.jpg
22 KB, 533x477
I dream someday we'll have /prog/ generals.
>>
>>55078028
keep dreaming
>>
>>55078028
Every /prog/ general I've seen so far became nothing but a big argument on which King Crimson album is the best since they're the only prog band the majority of people here know.
>>
>>55078028
>>55078034
We do and sometimes they get over 100 replies, sometimes not even 20
>>
I never listen to prog and hate it but I did have a couple Dixie Dregs CDs so whats that make me? I think they were more 'fusion' than prog anyway
>>
>>55078048
Or Gallifrey and others arguing with Avant Math God about charts
>>
>>55077993
>Zeuhl above RIO and krautrock
>>
File: 1408893404956.jpg (3 MB, 1485x1455) Image search: [Google]
1408893404956.jpg
3 MB, 1485x1455
Also
If you haven't heard all these albums you can't call yourself a prog fan
>>
>>55078048

Whenever Avant-God of Faggotry isn't there shitting up the thread with charts or pedantic nonsense, they're pretty good.

It's mostly recommending stuff to people who don't know much or discussing some obscure stuff, but it's nowhere near as bad as the rest of /mu/.
>>
>>55078195

>tfw you have
>tfw there's some you wish you hadn't

There are a lot more interesting modern prog bands than Wilson projects, Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation.
>>
>>55077874
>queensryche, meshuggah, opeth, and pink floyd)
>not prog

>PFM, VdGG, Fates Warning and Cynic are entry level shit but GG Go and Camel aren’t

>spock's beard, caravan, dixie dregs, and goblin aren't obscure at all yet they are never discussed here

Holy shit so fucking wrong, ples please put on a trip
>>
>>55078229
Like what?

Wilson has put so many interesting and different genres in years and inspired a new wave of prog bands, plus got me and many others into the genre
>>
>>55077373
>The Nice
>Level 4
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That said, most of those Level 4 artists are entry-level as fuck but that one is glaringly awful.

Honestly, the bait is a little too obvious. Almost every artist in there is a Level 0 or Level 1, with maybe a handful of Level 2's.
>>
>>55077993
>Italian progressive rock
>not Level 2
Is this bait?
>>
If those artists are so entry level and mainstream why are they almost never discussed here or on other sites?
>>
>>55078311
They're basically all in the Top 100 on RYM. You're going to the wrong sites.
>>
>>55078333
Yeah many of these are popular on RYM and Progarchives but pretty much nowhere else.
>>
where's the maudlin/kayo dot ehhh?
>>
>>55078308
How so Italian prog is pretty obscure apart from PFM

>>55078361
>Experimental/post metal
Level 3
>>
>>55078311
there's a lot of music that is very sparingly discussed here. the most eclectic threads here are sharethreads where no discussion takes place. you get prog threads now and again but it's usually just some shitter who just discovered Genesis and wants to discuss one particular album.
>>
>>55077373
+pink floyd, opeth, rush, symphony x, king crimson, devin townsend, cynic

-dream theater, tool, meshuggah, animals as leaders, between the buried and me
>>
>>55078424
How can you like Symphony X and Devin but not Dream Theater
and Tool?
>>
I'm a creep/irremediable and I certainly don't consider myself versed in prog metal. Some of the bands in Creep don't make sense, like Karnivool, Haken, Devin Townsend or Cynic, I thought most of these were fairly prolific?
>>
>>55077512
The Projekcts
>>
No Mr. Bungle. ..
>>
File: elder.jpg (75 KB, 368x764) Image search: [Google]
elder.jpg
75 KB, 368x764
Scaruffi is a hack in almost every way, but somehow he managed to find the best fucking prog albums and put them at the top of his list. You've got Trout Mask Replica covering killer grooves, a double album full of incredible songs, and American experimental rock, you've got Faust just being perfection in general, and you've got Rock Bottom covering the anglo prog scene, jazziness, and feels. The holy trinity has arrived, as it was foretold by Scaruffi. Bow to the three greatest albums of all time(s), /mu/
>>
>>55078457
*tips fedora*
>>
>>55078452

Every single band on that list is popular; some within prog, and some within music at large.
>>
>>55078496
>you've got Faust just being perfection in general
spoken like a true expert, I see
>>
>>55078450
honestly i havent listed to symphony x in awhile so i probably don't care for them anymore
>>
>>55078523
>spoken like a true expert, I see
If you cannot see Faust's beauty then I pity you, anon.
>>
I like a few in each tier. I don't listen to much prog at all either.

Seems like kind of a wanky chart eh.

Just so it gets stuck in your head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M
>>
>>55078563
JOOOOOO JOOOOOOOO
>>
>>55077373
What are the best reviewers to find good prog? Fantano doesn't know shit, Christgau hates it and Scaruffi also doesn't seem to care that much
>>
>>55078538
Tago Mago is better
>>
>>55078538
It's very vague and reddit-y
Basically
>They're good because they're good
>>
>>55078675
>not Future Days
>>
>>55078684
Have you ever liked something so much that you don't even know where to start explaining why you like it?
>>
where's matching mole?
>>
>>55078538
It's okay, but it's so overrated.
>>
>>55078695
I've not listened to Future Days yet. Should I do that right now?
>>
Every band on there should be moved to Normal or Weird

>>55078069
I liked that.

>>55078208
Hey, I don't shit the threads with Charts all the time, just sometimes.

>>55078658
Scaruffi likes Prog, a lot of it. You might want to check out someone named HerkyJerky on RYM though. He's pretty good.
>>
>>55078735
YES
>>
>>55077993
>prog electronic level 3
prog house is utter garbage.
>>
>>55078702
no
>>
>>55078822
Prog House =/= Prog Electronic
>>
>>55078729
>that saxophone solo that goes in and out of harmony with the rest of the band
>the piano intro
>the transition to the 'IIII TRAVEEELLL INTO THE TOOONGUUE' part
>when the guitar part comes in on Meadow Meal after the ominous noise collage
>(and how that guitar part is just the inverted guitar part of the ending of Miss Fortune)
>the guitar solo of Meadow Meal
>Meadow Meal's outro with the rain and the organ
>when Miss Fortune starts building up steam
>8:12 of Miss Fortune and the transition into that specific part of the song
>the transition from that part into the second jam
>the ending of Miss Fortune
Have you even heard the album?
>>
>>55078822
It's about accessibility not quality
>>
>>55077373
i saw magma last night. its hilarious all of the fans either looked like dads who dressed up in black metal ts or prog ts or basement dwelling creeps with high level of autism. pretty sure i must have been the youngest one there.
>>
How in shit is Oceansize considered bottom of the iceberg?
>>
>>55078927
Yeah they are good but they are basically more talented and post rock influenced Muse
>>
>>55078496
Rock Bottom is debatable, but I can say that Trout Mask Replica and Faust S/T are my two favorite rock albums and my two favorite progressive rock albums. Trout Mask Replica has both quantity and quality- it's a double album full of fantastic songs. The only way Beefheart's sort of dumb composition technique could have worked is in the environment he created for his band. People say that he's a hack whose way of writing music is basic and idiotic, and I actually agree. The thing is, when you bring all of those disjointed ideas to sheet music, give them to a very talented group of young and impressionable musicians, and rehearse more than 20 of these songs night and day for almost a year in cultlike environment, you're bound to get results. While Beefheart made it happen, I think the band jamming these songs together every day lead to them sculpting them together into really tight and really cool songs. It still blows my mind when I think about how unlikely this album was to be created, let alone work as well as it does.

I've explained why I like Faust a few times on this board- not recently, but just in the past when people don't seem to understand why I like it. If you need me to provide an explanation I will, but it gets kind of tiring explaining why I like something a million times.
>>55078759
What do you think of Faust? I don't believe I've ever heard you talk about it. As I said before, it's basically tied with Trout Mask for my favorite record ever, and I know you like Trout Mask quite a bit as well.
>>
>>55079032
I like them. I even consider their self titled to be the best album ever (but not my favorite), according to a specific definition of best. I haven't heard the rest that much though.
>>
>>55078420
Working on a solution by being the opposite of general cancer. We're having a Sunday prog thread with 3 albums from a particular period or theme being listed the week before and discussed.

I'm not super into prog but like a lot of it so it sounds like the way to go. What are the proto prog albums for tonight?
>>
>>55079349
>What are the proto prog albums for tonight?
Oh, that's nice. Here are some interesting ones
Gun - Gun (1968)
Renaissance - Renaissance (1969)
Andromeda - Andromeda (1969)
>>
>>55079396
I'll make a thing for later. Tonight will probably just be posting singles and discussing them.
>>
>>55077373
I had heard of Goblin, New Trolls, and Magma before any of the others.
>>
Creep but only because of based Devin.
>>
>>55078195
>caravanserai
underrated album
>>
>>55077373
Charlie Day wears a Magma shirt in a couple of episodes of IASIP
>>
File: Gnosis Top 100 (Prog Only).png (2 MB, 1485x1455) Image search: [Google]
Gnosis Top 100 (Prog Only).png
2 MB, 1485x1455
>>55078195
That list is aimed to 14 year olds. This is the one you should check out.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.