[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /mu/s' opinion on compilation albums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: YES-Warp20-1.jpg (79 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
YES-Warp20-1.jpg
79 KB, 900x900
What's /mu/s' opinion on compilation albums?
>>
I have lots, really depends on the genre.

For soul, funk, dance and downtempo music they work well.
>>
>>54814539
Only if theres unreleases stuff on them.
>>
>>54814539
Thare are many good ones, only rockists hate them
>>
cashgrab.com/fans-will-buy-anything/garbage_file.zip
>>
>>54814554
>rockism
nice meme
>>
>>54814539
Mostly shite for plebs that record labels put out and not the artist
>>
>>54814539
They disturb my organization autism. Plus i dont think they are necessary in the modern world.
>>
>>54814562
>muh albums
>muh pretend artist (read marketing teams) intent

>>54814563
>rockist in denial
>>
>>54814567
this
>>
Anthology of American Folk Music is one of my favorite compilations.
>>
>>54814567
All music by signed artists is put out by the label, thats why they are on the label.
>>
some of them are great, just a lot of the time rock ones arent which means most people on /mu/ think they all suck
>>
>>54814586
>memer in denial
i'm not arguing about rockism, you fags can listen to your shitty artists however you like
but rockism is a meme term
>>
>>54814630
fuck u
>>
I don't usually like Greatest Hits compilations from just one artist (with a few exceptions), although label compilations, occasional charity comps (Dark Was the Night comes to mind) and stuff like NME C86 are all cool.
>>
Complete label collections for singles artists are a godsend when it comes to hunting things down.
>>
File: untitled.png (2 MB, 1654x894) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
2 MB, 1654x894
>>54814562
>>54814567
Does this make you mad?
>>
only /mu/ plebs can't appreciate compilations
>>
>>54814539
Compilations are pretty much the only possible way to listen to traditional music, so I pretty much have to like them
>>
>>54814539
Are all classical recordings compilations or live albums?
>>
There are some genres/artists it works for

There are others that it doesn't work for

Greatest Hits albums are absolutely disgusting though and the only people who listen to them are the kind of people who listen to youtube rips.
>>
>>54815077
Dubs speak the truth.
>>
>>54815077
>Greatest Hits albums are absolutely disgusting though and the only people who listen to them are the kind of people who listen to youtube rips.

Dubs for the dumb rockist
>>
>>54815077
Greatest hits are a good start if you're trying to get into a band/artist
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 600x600
Some stuff can't be found otherwise.
>>
>>54815147
Except I'm not a rockist. "Rock" doesn't even make up half of what I listen to.
>>
>>54815189

Wow half of my library is not rock music (what is rock, anyway?)

Rockist pls go
>>
>>54815228
Thanks for your well thought out comment that really contributes to any sort of discussion.
>>
late night tales albums are GOAT
>>
>>54814779
many are recorded in studios so no theyd not all be live albums
id say if it contains one piece or a songcycle or sth, its an album. more than that, and its a comp
then again, every album is technically a compilation as it compiles multiple songs (then again yeah, there's thick as a brick and similar), so defining those as seperate entities doesnt make a whole lot of sense when you really think about it
>>
wait no it does make sense if you put it this way: a compilation of material not released before
>>
>>54814586
Want to play that game? Okay then:

"Rockism" is just a spurious concept we invented as bait so the dumbest plebeians could denounce themselves unknowingly. We're also thinking of extending that idea to listening to tracks in their entirety and equalizer settings (>muh full tracks, > muh flat EQ) — I'm sure they'll eat it up. Soon, there will be plenty of little plebeians listening to nothing but 30-second extracts on shuffle mode with boosted bass, thinking they have superior taste.

Joke's on you :^)
>>
All albums are compilations.
>>
>>54817277
top lel
>>
File: 1427948049389.jpg (382 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1427948049389.jpg
382 KB, 1000x1000
they can be pretty damn good
>>
Post instances where Compilation Albums are better than anything else on the artist's discography
>Queen
>>
>>54814572

>"Various Artists" -> "Record Label" (If applicable) -> "Compilation Name"

Wow, that was tough.

Compilations are basically the bread and butter for any fan of electronic music.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.