[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of The Caretaker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
What does /mu/ think of The Caretaker
>>
It was neat but the novelty kinda wore off.
>>
Art gallery tier tripe for easily impressed avant teens
>>
>>54804349
I love this album, but there's a reason people only talk about this album and no other caretaker work. There's just so much you can do with looping 20's ballroom music
>>
>>54804349
Interesting take. Especially when empathizing with someone suffering dementia. I liken the repeating song structure to a demented person going in and out of lucidity.
>>
>>54804415
A Stairway to the Stars is on par with an Empty Bliss.

Kirby has a lot of other good dark ambient works from his other projects too.
>>
Listened to it for the first time yesterday, it's interesting, good but not amazing
>>
same as TMR

enjoy the concept. just don't call it better than the classics
>>
The "concept" of that album is total bullshit. It's easily the laziest album I've ever heard; even that hack Basinski made a moderately interesting (albeit fake) loop. Just playing a dozen songs on a record player under the guise of "m-muh Alzheimer's!" is bullshit. That alone might make a decent EP, or doing *some*thing with the music to warrant filling out an entire album, but it grasps at straws and fails immensely.

As much as I hate the album, it's GOAT-tier sleep music, and I cannot fault it for that.
>>
I, for one, think it goes well with an impending happening or apocalypse.
>>
>Best
Camaraderie at arms length
>Worst
Pared back to the minimal
>Overrated
Libet's delay
>Underrated
I feel as if I might be vanishing
>>
>>54804485
Tmr is a classic you meme
>>
>>54804498
It was originally just supposed to be a tribute to the Shining anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fN-Xjpd-qE
>>
>>54804513
>Worst: Pared Back to the Minimal
No way man, that track is like the turning point into darkness on the album
>>
>>54804510
Reminds me of the Sierra Madre from Fallout NV
>>
>>54804514
Not more classic than say Pet Sounds or even Sgt. Pepper
>>
>>54804531
I knew that (plus the name "The Caretaker" kind of gave it away). And the Shining is one of my all-time favorite movies. But the "concept" worked for all of five tracks before it became apparent the Caretaker was just wringing everything he could out of some looped ballroom records, and I didn't fall for it.
>>
>>54804546
Mental caverns without sunshine does it better.

The second Mental caverns might actually be the worst though.
>>
>>54804513
How do you judge over and underrated?
>>
>>54804569
>I didn't fall for it

What? He isn't trying to trick you into loving it, dude.

You're acting like it's an affront or something. It's just an interesting experiment; you don't agree with it as a whole but that doesn't mean it isn't neat.
>>
>>54804570
Hmm, it seemed more like a foreboding track. Pared Back had that flickering vocal hum that sounded like schizophrenia.
>>
>>54804577
Previous threads and most of the time it's posted Libet's delay is the example. It's a good track, more cohesive and immediately engaging than some of the more pared back tracks but it's not as good as Camaraderie.

I feel as if I might be vanishing is never mentioned even though it's a very good element to the album.
>>
It might not be technically impressive or anything like that but it's nice to throw on in the background. I find it kind of soothing, honestly.
>>
>>54804562
In retrospect yes. It's on level with white light/white heat and Loveless
>>
Technical Skill != good music
easy to make != bad music
>>
It's just a dark ambient plunderphonics album.

I like it.
>>
>>54804654
Is Stockhausen's Gruppen on the level of Beethoven's 9th? Certainly not.
Same principle here.
>>
>>54804598
>He isn't trying to trick you into loving it, dude.

I have to disagree, though. The fact that he had to push and explain that it's a metaphor for dementia shows that it can't stand on its own accord. An album shouldn't need backstory to be good.

I promise you, if this album was released by some Soundcloud nobody with no story, it would be laughed off as a shitty sampling project and nothing more.
>>
Literally bioshock infinite: the album
>>
>>54804513
>Best
Great Hidden Sea

>Worst
The Story Is Lost

>Overrated
Libet's Delay

>Underrated
Bedded Deep
>>
>>54804716
>he had to
Who says he had to? He chose to, he still didn't force it on anyone.
>>
>>54804716
I suppose since I never read about his explanation until long after I listened to the album, I don't feel his explanation is an attempt at drawing something in; the album is nice without the explanation.

>>54804719
M7 do you mean the original Bioshock or you just joshing?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.