[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on FlyLo…
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5
File: flying_lotus.jpg (442 KB, 4365x2704) Image search: [Google]
flying_lotus.jpg
442 KB, 4365x2704
I actually think FlyLo is more interesting/better than Dilla—except Dilla's considered to be the "King of Beats" and all that. But is there a release by Dilla as good and cohesive as, say, You're Dead?

Also, I happen to be a bit of a FlyLo fanboy, whereas I don't know enough about J Dilla. Any thoughts on this?
>>
Using You're Dead as an example is pretty bad.

Donuts is more cohesive than most of FlyLo's albums, that doesn't mean they're not cohesive though. FlyLo is probably a better beat producer and definitely a better rapper though.
>>
i think j dilla is fucking boring tbh. total elevator music.

plus i live in the detroit area so i hate it when hipster DJs come here and play some dilla beat no one has ever heard and hes like "DETROIT...YEAH J DILLA...WOO" and literally no one has ever heard the beat before because no one gives a shit about j dilla here.

if you come to detroit and you want to play music that everyone will get hype to play [spoiler]eminem[/spoiler]
>>
>>54636026

Really? How so? (I do mean "conceptually cohesive", not just "musically cohesive"—the whole You're Dead! album is a sonic exploration on Death that also distinctly sounds different from his previous albums)
>>
There wouldn't be a FlyLo without Dilla paving the way and he has acknowledged that. But Cosmogramma is one of my favorite records ever. So much content packed into it and the fact that Steven is related to Coltrane adds a layer to his music
>>
J Dilla is highly regarded for two reasons: he played the drums live on his MPC 3000, and because he worked till he dropped. FlyLo does the more conventional programmed approach to percussion which I imagine is a great advantage over live drumming towards making wonky beats. For some silly reason people tend to admire the physical skill aspect of music making, though. It's an external consideration and shouldn't matter, like how Dilla is romanticized as producing on his deathbed as if he were Mozart composing his requiem, but it does matter.

I think they're on par with each other, but the difference is JD only has Donuts while FlyLo is still churning out albums worth of JD quality level beats.
>>
>>54635993
Pick up the 33 1/3 on Dilla if you get the chance. He really did pave the way for a lot of people. Also I was a little disappointed by You're Dead, anyone else?
>>
what a coincidence i just relistened cosmogramma and i literally cried through the whole thing, i'm very sure about it being his masterpiece now

i love dilla and flylo equally, but you can't compare them like that when one would not exist without the other

but yeah you could compare prefuse 73, who is also a big influence on flylo, and dilla
>>
>>54635993
Can anyone, without googling it, name one album Dilla did besides donuts? I can't.
>>
>>54636440

Yeah, that's very clear—but just because someone came before doesn't mean that person's better. You wouldn't have rock 'n' roll without Chuck Berry, but that doesn't mean Berry is better than Jimi Hendrix, or something (though that's a different discussion altogether).

>>54636447

> FlyLo does the more conventional programmed approach to percussion
He called live drummers to his studio, at least for You're Dead!…so that could count against FlyLo, in a sense, though I don't necessarily think it has to.
> JD only has Donuts

Doesn't Dilla have a bunch of albums out with Slum Village, along with a bunch of tracks released as other compilations (like the King of Beats comp that's out now)?
>>
>>54636594

Welcome 2 Detroit, The Shining, Ruff Draft, Fantastic Vol 1, Fantastic Vol 2, Jaylib.
>>
>>54636558
It's a better version of UTQC and shorter so I can listen more often. Put into perspective it's not disappointing, although it's not Cosmogramma either.
>>
But Dilla isn't even the best beatmaker off all time, its Madlib.
>>
>>54636759
No, that's Loop Digga
>>
I don't think they're really in the same lane. Maybe when Flylo started out but definitely not anymore. It's not really fair to compare them either because Dilla's sound kept growing throughout his career and we don't know what he would be doing at this point.
>>54636594
ehh?
>>54636759
Madlib experiments more I guess but I dont know. I only like about half of his beats while with Dilla I can put on almost anything.
Dilla had most of the best beats on Champion Sound too imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuVCHQjsQ0g
>>
>>54636047
>>54636594
wow clueless much?
>>
>>54636842
yo its the loop digga
>>
>>54636887
my nigga my nigga
>>
>>54636887
my n word
>>
>>54636887
My basketball american
>>
>>54636026
"cohesiveness" means shit when The average song off of LA or Cosmogramma is a little bit better than the average Donuts song
>>
>>54635993
Honestly Los Angeles felt more cohesive than You're Dead
>>
It's weird how Dilla only made Donuts but I somehow have over 800 tracks just tagged as 'J Dilla' and probably more than that for other artists.
>>54636938
The question was about cohesiveness as well.
>>
People only over talk about Donuts when Dilla comes up. Dude has so many more albums than just Donuts, most are better than Donuts also.
>>
i'm just gonna mention pete rock

not cos hes the best or anything just to spark you a bit

there are plenty of good producers out there, i bet you just thought of some more
>>
>>54635993
this is a stupid comparison

you realize you are comparing two different generations

dilla smoked weed and pushed buttons on his mpc in the 90s + made hip-hop

flying lotus is a laptop electronic producer in the 2010s (20 yrs later) with just about any musician willing to work with him

not sure how you can compare the foundation of ~wonky~ beats to a full out modern jazz record
>>
>>54636855
that's what makes madlib better, he's more versatile
>>
Liked FlyLo up until Cosmogramma.
I appreciate him trying different stuff but I'm just a straight up beats man.
>>
>>54636992
Pete used to be Dilla's favorite producer coming up but it ended up the other way around.
>>54637000
>dilla smoked weed and pushed buttons on his mpc in the 90s + made hip-hop
you sound knowledgable
>>54637026
That's debatable though. Dilla was really versatile as well and imo mastered the sounds he explored while Madlib is more all over the place and some of it is just boring loops/mixes.
>>
>>54635993
i don't like the new shit he's been making recently, I preferred his beat stuff like Los Angeles and 1983 way more. Not that everything following Cosmogramma is bad at all but it's just a bit too layered for my taste. Also, i've never liked how he purposely panders to stoners and always talks about how much drugs he's done
>>
File: image.jpg (682 KB, 1700x1700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
682 KB, 1700x1700
>>54636878
Hey man

You dropped this
>>
>>54637099
>and some of it is just boring loops/mixes.
that's also debatable
>>
>>54637109

Eh, I prefer his newer stuff (Cosmogramma and onwards) to his older stuff. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

> panders to stoners
Isn't that also a jazz thing?
>>
>>54637099
go fuck yourself
>>
>>54637178
lol nice one dude
>>54637195
yeah of course. I just feel half of the shit he's been releasing lately, the medicine shows and whatever the other series was called were really forgettable. A lot of it was just him straight up mixing too, not making beats.
Not that Dilla's random beat tapes aren't forgettable but those were never released officially so I feel it's different.
the Madlib stuff I love is usually when he sticks to his signature sound.
>>
I am barely getting into beats and such, but I definitely see why Dilla is the most admired. There is also the post mortem effect, but Dilla made beats that were fun to groove to. Pete Rock also made some awesome beats, but they are a bit more simplistic (at least from what i've heard.) Can anyone rec some good producers? I've recently taken a liking to Dilla, Pete, FlyLo, Rashad, Madlib, and DOOM as a prod, etc. Mostly the obvious.
>>
Has Madlib's music progressed very much? Despite his experimental sound collage type things he seems to make beats as if it were a 9-to-5 job with a routine procedure. Consummate professional though he may be, you still have a fairly good idea what to expect out of him. FlyLo is a bit more surprising.
>>
>>54637369
K-Def, Damu the Fudgemunk, DJ Krush and Knxwledge are some of my favorites.
>>54637377
He tries a lot of different things but usually nobody really cares until he goes back to his old style like on Pinata.
>>
>>54637219
But jazz musicians wouldn't stop in the middle of a jam to say, "IT SMELLS GOOD IN HERE TONIGHT, HEHEHEH, LET'S GET A HOTBOX IN HURR"
>>
>>54637369
(Mr) Dibia$e, P.U.D.G.E, Ohbliv, Mndsgn, Samiyam (who collaborated with Flylo under FLYamSAM)
>>
>>54637427
Knxwledge is also really good. I also listened to Entroducing for the first time like last week and found it to be meh. Any other Shadow worth a listen or is that his best? Is there maybe a chart for this genre?
>>
>>54637369
this is a pete rock beat from 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDYxrODYVv4

sounds more like flylo than dilla tbh
>>
>>54637485
/mu/ doesn't deal in beat music a great deal really.

FlyLo, DOOM & Dilla are as far as it goes here.
>>
>>54637506
sounds like DJ Quik to me.
this Dilla beat always reminds me of the type of shit Pete was doing in the early 00s when he went away from jazz samples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDKjrjk39Hc
>>
>>54637587
yeah its got that up and down thing going on
>>
>>54637369
Nujabes was born on the same day as Dilla, and similarly passed away early. DJ Okawari sounds like Nujabes as well, so you might enjoy his stuff.

>>54637449
Producers are more like studio musicians building tracks from the ground up, whereas jazz musicians prize jamming and improvisation a lot more, so there are bound to be differences in what's emphasized.

That being said, did FlyLo ever actually do that? That's pretty hilarious, if he did.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>54635993

But Dilla has actually produced classic songs , Flyo hasn't
>>
>>54637618
I love that bouncy sloppy drum shit too. This Knx beat oozes Dilla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q3U2VT_lI
>>
>>54635993
Flying Lotus is trash
>>
Did I tell you about the time I met FlyLo in a supermarket?
>>
>>54637642
yeah when its so late you can almost feel a hand flicking, theres still that snappiness to it
dilla was so fucking good at that

this track is nice man thanks
>>
>>54635993
I think You're Dead! kind of wishes it were a Jay Dee album. If you dig FlyLo more than Dilla. I mean. Whatever. To each their own. But I can't repress the urge to say that one is clearly better than the other. Maybe it's only clear to me because I've been listening to them both for so long. Especially Dilla. I don't know. Given time, you might see it the same way. You might not. Whatever.
>>
>>54637719
Knxwledge discography is full of stuff like that if you want some more. His 'Anthology' release is a good place to start.
I've been playing this one on repeat today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGIWLiO5058
>>
>>54636312
Donuts as a work itself is a heartfelt goodbye from Dilla on his deathbed. The samples tie together to form a sort of gestalt meaning to put forth this intention, while individually the songs hold their own meaning, and individually the samples hold their own history.

Basically Donuts simultaneously works cohesively as well as individually, whereas You're Dead only works as a whole piece with a handful of songs standing on their own.

However, Dilla really only has Donuts as a standout piece where FlyLo has several albums under his belt that form a coherent narrative.
>>
>>54637714
Oh, like you're doing right now?
>>
>>54637768
cheers, i'll do it
never heard of him b4
>>
>>54637627
I do enjoy me some Nujabes, so I well definitely look up Okawari, thanks for the recs bros.
>>
>>54637795
>However, Dilla really only has Donuts as a standout piece

lmao
>>
>>54637795
He's got like 50 tapes out and I can honestly say I like 90% of it. He just recently blew up a bit because Kendrick used one of his old beats on his new album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXLtwXlWe7o
>>
>>54637632

I would argue that FlyLo has. Stuff from Cosmogramma, like "Clock Catcher" and "Zodiac Shit", the majority of UTQC, and the first four tracks of YD and "Moment Of Hesitation" could all be considered classic pieces—though ultimately, time will tell. I'm skipping over "Never Catch Me" mainly because, although it's a really nice song, it's a bit of a cop-out to call it a producer's "classic song", when it's one of the few really pop cuts FlyLo has made.
>>
>>54637845
They're discussing coherency and shit man. Dilla's other solo stuff wasn't really anything like Donuts in that department.
>>
File: ed_lovercmon-son-med).jpg (9 KB, 263x297) Image search: [Google]
ed_lovercmon-son-med).jpg
9 KB, 263x297
>>54637795
>Dilla really only has Donuts as a standout piece
you reek of p4k
>>
>>54637863

Dilla has produced hip hop classics since for decades
>>
>>54635993
I may agree but I can almost guarantee if you were to ask FlyLo himself he would rave about Dilla for hours and say that he is nothing compared to him.
>>
>>54637919
is that pharrell
>>
>>54637883
Dilla's work outside of Donuts is nowhere near as cohesive.
>>
>>54638001

Oh, I'm sure of that. But just because someone's humble doesn't mean his opinion about himself or his work is correct.

>>54637919

I'd say in response that FlyLo's career is still only in the beginning stages. Also, you say "decades"…but Fan-Tas-Tic (Vol. 1) was released in '97, and Dilla passed away in '06. I don't know about all his unreleased stuff, but that's not nearly "decades" of classics. Still, his work is impressive, that I won't deny.
>>
>>54638102
He did Pharcyde, Tribe, De La Soul, Busta, Keith Murray, etc in 95
But yeah you're right about Flylo
>>
>>54637814
Sorry FlyLo.
>>
seems funny that people in here don't know this track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3qMdkucM0

if /mu/ had existed back then this would have def been /mu/core
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.