[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slowcore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: duster-stratosphere.jpg (45 KB, 596x597) Image search: [Google]
duster-stratosphere.jpg
45 KB, 596x597
Let's talk about slowcore, /mu/.

Favorites/h8s/recs/shares or whatever

Slowcore general.
>>
>>54374003
i'm not sure why this is so well-regarded.
i mean, it's okay but even low's or codeine's inferior albums are more interesting than this. am i missing something? just seems to middle-of-the-road
>>
>>54374042
whats the best codeine record. I love duster but maybe i should codeine a listen
>>
Duster reunion when?
>>
>>54374236
ive only heard white birch, dont even know what else theyve done. also gotta throw Carissa's Wierd out there, great slowcore band
>>
bedhead - what fun life was
>>
>>54374042

Stratosphere is one of my favorite albums. What I like so much about it is the weird production quality and how the instrumental work doesn't entirely convey a sense of hopeless sadness like a lot of bands in a similar vein do. The vocals almost blend with the instruments and are sometimes intelligible. They're like the GBV of slowcore bands, if that makes sense.

If you can't get into Duster then I'd recommend listening to Helvetia.
>>
File: Bedhead - WhatFunLifeWas.jpg (27 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
Bedhead - WhatFunLifeWas.jpg
27 KB, 500x496
>>54374465
>instrumental work doesn't entirely convey a sense of hopeless sadness
Wow really? No disrespect meant, I just get the exact opposite. It's only of my favorite albums as well but it really feels like they're just strangling the emotion out of their guitars every step of the way to me
>>54374395
fucking seconded
>>
>>54374334
It's about time. Helvetia is still doing shit. Why don't they all get back together?

>>54374395
This. Bedhead Live In Chicago is going to be released on Record Store Day. trying to get a copy.
>>
>>54374042
as a fan of both low and codeine before ever listening to duster, they're definitely not more interesting, even at their best
duster just taps into this magical hazy lo-fi ennui that's spacey and grooves but still feels glacially paced and introspective

bluetile lounge best slowcore ever though, hands down
>>
File: contemporary movement.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
contemporary movement.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
>>54374538

It does, but not as much as other stuff I've heard. It's like they're taking raw emotion, negative or otherwise, and putting it through their instruments as something somewhat hopeful (despite some of the lyrics) in the way some post-rock bands do. Mind you, this is only on Stratosphere that I get this from. Contemporary Movement is another story.

Also, Bedhead rules.
>>
>>54374236
Start with The White Birch, then check Frigid Stars.

Both are great, but I prefer the former.
>>
File: Ida - Tales of Brave Ida.jpg (48 KB, 600x595) Image search: [Google]
Ida - Tales of Brave Ida.jpg
48 KB, 600x595
Slowcore is best core.
>>
>>54374236
>best
each of them are somewhat different stylistically
frigid stars is a more upbeat/rock slowcore, if you can imagine it
barely real is my favourite slowcore, although i can see why people don't like it
it invokes an almost 'empty' feeling, hard to explain
white birch is the most slowcore like, very worth listening to
on that note, smoking room is the best closing track i've ever heard from a band, especially since it was their last release
also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmlznKmxfk&feature=related
>>
>>54374395
that and 'beheaded' are my favourites of theirs
>>
>>54374742
I respect your take on it but I still get the opposite.. I can see the hopefulness but to me it's more of a feeling of relief from giving in to hopelessness. My take at least. Contemporary Movement is very nearly equal to Stratosphere in quality imo, love them both
>>
File: No+One+Waved+Goodbye.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
No+One+Waved+Goodbye.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
this album is pretty cool
>>
File: alt1.jpg (58 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
alt1.jpg
58 KB, 600x600
>>54374825
barely real is incredible

>>54374850
whatfunlifewas > transaction de novo >> beheaded
only in my humble opinion of course

are any modern bands making good slowcore?
>>
>>54374615

>duster just taps into this magical hazy lo-fi ennui that's spacey and grooves but still feels glacially paced and introspective

Maybe it's because I heard Duster before bands like Low and Codeine, but I see this as a good thing. I like it. I'll listen to Duster and Bedhead before Low and Codeine.

Also, Red Stars Theory is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3QfWXRUoM
>>
>>54374908

True Widow makes nice heavy slowcore kinda in the vein of Codeine.
>>
File: Cloakroom - Infinity.jpg (132 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Cloakroom - Infinity.jpg
132 KB, 600x600
>>54374908
Pic related is great-tier modern shit with definite slowcore influence. It's like post-hardcore meets shoegaze meets slowcore. They released an album early this year and while I don't think it's shit it definitely doesn't compare to this
>>
>>54374908
>are any modern bands making good slowcore?
haven't listened to any of them. all the slowcore i listen to is from the late 90s/early 00s
>>
>>54374915
>but I see this as a good thing. I like it.
so do i man, my post is saying i still prefer duster to both of those bands
>>
>>54374855

>I can see the hopefulness but to me it's more of a feeling of relief from giving in to hopelessness.

I can see it this way now, too, actually. "Giving into hopelessness" is a good way to sum up a lot of slowcore. Thanks m8.
>>
are opiates the drug associated with slowcore? any recommendations for some? i'm not too experienced with anything other than weed.
>>
File: Red_House_Painters_Ocean_Beach.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Red_House_Painters_Ocean_Beach.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
I can't be the only one who thinks that this shits all over roller coaster.

>san geronimo
>shadows
>red carpet
>moments
>drop

completely untouchable
>>
>>54375165
ehh i still prefer rollercoaster. ocean beach is pretty much slow acoustic chamber folk without the austerity.
>>
I know I chose the most accessible Helvetia song, but do they still count as slowcore? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlV3tCoK94
>>
>>54374593
>Helvetia is still doing shit
They literally released a new album like a few days ago.
>>
>>54375358
>that percussion
no
>>
>>54374593
>>54374334
they apparently have worked on reforming multiple times over the last decade or so, but they keep scrapping new work.

in the meantime, clay parton, one of the two main performers and writers for the band currently has a project that sounds basically exactly like duster, and pretty much just as good. here's the link-

https://twoboysalright.bandcamp.com/album/hazy-realms
>>
>>54375393

That's what I figured. I only asked due to the relation with Duster.
>>
File: cover.jpg (193 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
193 KB, 500x500
Listened to this shit out of this and Bedhead for the longest time.
>>
>>54375421

Damn, this is good. Thanks.
>>
>>54375421
nice
>>
do you guys like Acetone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW3Snvwo2-Y
>>
>>54376341
YES
I've tried to tab their songs by ear but it just doesn't work
>>
>>54376341
huh, this is cool. can't find any links for them on the archive, anybody care to upload this album?
>>
>>54374593
I would recommend getting the Bedhead boxset, i got it like a month ago and it has barely left my turntable.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.