[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - music production general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11
File: 1423197169655.jpg (732 KB, 885x886) Image search: [Google]
1423197169655.jpg
732 KB, 885x886
>"but afx did it" edition

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music composition. Continue the search for Lunga and get told to stop pushing the limiter.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud WHEN ASKED for finished tracks and getting called a buttboy for not going to soundcloud threads

We're making an album! (or trying to).
Check the next post for info.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki
>>
File: Screenshot 2015-02-27 00.39.20.png (84 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2015-02-27 00.39.20.png
84 KB, 1366x768
Repostan because other thread is pretty much done with.

Hey friendos, 'tis Renoise breaks-a-lot returning to YOU with my latest WIP, updated!!

Since the last revision I've changed one 8 bar sequenced of breaks, edited the chords and the bass (although the latter is still basically a drone).

Any ideas on additions that could be made, etc are all welcome!

Please note that the mix is (obviously) not the priority at the moment, but it isn't shite either.

Thank you.

https://clyp.it/qhxnkzse
>>
We're making an album! (or trying to.). Here's how to get involved:
>look at this image
>feel inspired
>that's it
Looking for collaborators? Feel free to ask in the comments!
>>
Are the effects on the sp-303 really gold? Right now I'm planning on an MPC500 for clean stuff and an SP-202 for lo-fi and filter wankery, should I make accompdations for a 303 or 404?
>>
File: BiKUDzUCAAAzAdg.jpg (75 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
BiKUDzUCAAAzAdg.jpg
75 KB, 600x600
I'm not sure if this quite /prod/, but do any of you wizards know what Dan Deacon is using on this tour? I only recognize the OP-1 and Digitech pedal and the rest isn't anything I've seen before.
>>
File: underwearcore.png (12 KB, 825x185) Image search: [Google]
underwearcore.png
12 KB, 825x185
>tfw your music is only worth a few pairs of underwear
why live?
>>
>>53998511
well gee anon maybe we could tell if it weren't wrapped in gift paper
Shit now I want to do that with a live setup
>>
>>53998775
Lol yeah it looks cool with all the weird tape and stuff on it but I'd sure like to know what it is. Looks like some kind of eurorack gear or something.
>>
>>53998703
>4 track ambient
no wonder. take the deal anyway
>>
https://clyp.it/m0vnc0of

First post. Just a demo. all the bass got sucked out exporting. Thinking this could be 1st track for an EP
>>
Suuuuuper early mix of something me and a buddy are working on.

https://clyp.it/r4xrsidy
>>
>>53998860
>>53998703
ikr free underwear kicks ass
>>
File: 1404971824146.jpg (135 KB, 500x707) Image search: [Google]
1404971824146.jpg
135 KB, 500x707
>EXTREMELY NOOB QUESTION

I just started getting into production a couple weeks ago. I'm very new to all this and still trying to get a grasp of the basics My question is this: What is the point of "compression" in a mix? I get that it decreases the dynamic range, but does that mean it just gives a sound less space, therefore making it louder? If that's the case, what would the difference be between compressing a clip and just raising the dB?
>>
>>53999219
Compression makes it "louder" without peaking over 0dB
>>
>>53999265

Well what's the benefit in that?
>>
>>53999219
Compression makes the differences between low volume and high volume sections of audio less pronounced.
>>
>>53999329

same follow-up question>>53999324
>>
>>53999219
Compression makes the local town sheriff fuck ur mum.
>>
>>53999324
It has multiple uses. It can make the levels in an inconsistent recording consistent again or make your master recording punchier and louder sounding without clipping.
>>
>>53999417

Ok, so basically it evens out the edges of a recording and makes it louder without allowing distortion?
>>
>>53999502
Yes. But it can be used in a lot of different ways.
>>
File: dublightyear.jpg (6 KB, 240x250) Image search: [Google]
dublightyear.jpg
6 KB, 240x250
>over reverbed electro/progressive house started today
https://soundcloud.com/star-lux/progressive-house-wip-march-2/s-5Wg2I
>>
>>53999591
buttboy detected
>>
>>53999529

So if I were in the middle of a recording/mixing session and I found that some vocals quiet moments were too quiet or loud moments were too loud, I would apply a compressor? What other kind of recording situations would call for the use of a compressor?
>>
>>53999648
Yeah that's a classic situation to use a compressor. Another thing they can be used for is "gluing" parts of the mix together. Like just slightly compressing all your drums together can make them cut through the mix and "punch" a bit more.
>>
>>53999685

Ok, I think I got the gist of it. Definitely gonna need to do more research though. Thanks a lot for your help man I appreciate it.
>>
>>53999774
No problem, happy to help.
>>
Any tips for someone who has absolutely no idea where to start in terms of songwriting?
>>
>>53999920
you answered your own question. learn about songwriting and song structure. ask about confusing concepts here.
>>
>>53999920
check the OP
>>
>>53998511
Digitech whammy top left

Bottom left set of six boxes in 2 sets of 3 is some modular midi controller system. Don't remember what brand or what they're called, but I think they're 3U panels like Eurorack.
>>
imagine clyp.it threads. threads were people just post their songs and go "fuck it listen to this download it if you want IDGAF" and nobody cared about identity. I think that would be pretty cool
>>
>>54000008
I meant like finding inspiration for sounds and what parts you start with first.
>>
https://clyp.it/1fia0p4d

am I trap producer yet?

>>54000102
there's no rules for inspiration or how to start a song. I just lay some chords down and then the melody or bass and then lay down some drums. then add little things in there for variety
>>
>>54000079
Yeah I recognized the digitech and the OP-1 I just don't know what the midi control system is.
>>
>>54000079
>>53998511
I think I just found them. The brand is FaderFox.
>>
>>54000029
>>53999999
>>54000000
>>
>>54000155
no
>>
>>53998511
Should add that middle left is some amp switcher. They're usually something like channel 1/2, overdrive, reverb, or some other common control. Bottom right is a USB hub. The stuff between that and the OP-1 are power supplies. Between the OP-1 and the Whammy is a mystery box, my guess is that it's some APC or similar 555 timer based circuit. Lastly the box in the center, it looks like some basic 1 channel tube mic preamp, I'd ask lemonbrah if he knew the model.
>>
>>54000273
I wish I knew what USB hub that was because it looks awesome.
>>
>>53999219
Making things louder is one part of it, but it's not necessarily the only part.

Pic related is a diagram of the ADSR of a waveform. Compression can be used to changed the shape of a waveform and as a result, change how it sounds. For example if a waveform has too much attack (like a sharp sounding snare drum) you can use compression in a way that brings down the attack but leaves the decay, sustain and release the way they are.

Basically controlling dynamics is one part, but it can also be used to change the timbre and sound of a track.
>>
File: M4C_intro.ADSR_.png (13 KB, 1000x425) Image search: [Google]
M4C_intro.ADSR_.png
13 KB, 1000x425
>>54000381
forgot pic
>>
>>54000334
I'm pretty sure that's just the anker 10-port covered in lerandumepicducttape. I have the 7port and besides the super short cord for the wallwart it's pretty solid.
>>
>>54000420
>super short wallwart
Sounds like a bonus for a live rig. Probably what all lerandumepicducttape is for too.
>>
>>54000495
>>54000420
I think he tapes it together so he can travel with it in just a couple of pieces but it also looks kinda cute imo.

>>54000420
I don't think it's the Anker because it has a power switch on the end that isn't on the Anker. I've just been wanting a solid USB hub though so I'll look into Anker since it's pretty cheap.
>>
blunts are for cunts
>>
So I see all these 'pro' / 'made it' soundclouds, none of them have any content from before the artists were signed, everything is ultra clean well produced etc.

Do artists tend to use a new pseudonym when they get signed? And if my shit isn't pro as hell mixwise, should I not even bother releasing it if i'm looking to eventually get signed under that name?
>>
File: Xerox_820_Printer_s1.jpg (44 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
Xerox_820_Printer_s1.jpg
44 KB, 500x330
whoever was sampling the printer reminded me that I had recorded mine a couple of days ago, so I cut up the recording into usable hits and created a "printer kit" out of it.

just did a quick sketch to test it out:

https://clyp.it/xtgwhr53

I can upload the kit if anyone's interested
>>
File: lynchusting.png (256 KB, 575x635) Image search: [Google]
lynchusting.png
256 KB, 575x635
>>54001709
>let me hop on the printercore train but act like i did it first
>>
>>54001283
Yeah they either make a new Soundcloud if they want to go under a pseudonym or they delete their old tracks.
>>
anyone down for a sample battle?
>>
>>54001731
I was printing off some shit and noticed a weird phasing noise. so I recorded it. thats my standard mo: I record interesting sounds. making drumkits from recordings is also something I've been doing for a while (like my glitch kit) the printer kit is probably not something I'm going to use, I've already done 2 songs with the glitch kit so going back to that seems regression, but meh always good to have interesting samples around.
>>
>>54001283
I don't know a lot about this seeing as I'm amateur, but go ahead and stick with your name. You aren't going to be able to build up a following on your music without releasing/posting songs attached to you somehow. Build up a following and you can cross the bridge of "my old reputation is holding me back" when you're farther down the road.

A ton of big artists have shitty groups or names they went by before they were who they are today. They got recognition on that old name, signed to some lesser-known labels, continued to grow, then created a new artist name when their music stopped being mid-shelf stuff. Of course you've also got people like (>>54001758) said who just delete their old shit, which is a good habit to get into. PURGE THE SHIT
>>
>>54001758
>>54002084
thanks boys

we're all gonna make it
>>
>>54001283
>And if my shit isn't pro as hell mixwise, should I not even bother releasing it if i'm looking to eventually get signed under that name?

that's right booboo

your soundcloud will be very boring for a while but after some time it will kick ass
>>
>>53998441

How is the album going?
>>
File: 8173760354_8f1006cdca_h.jpg (721 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
8173760354_8f1006cdca_h.jpg
721 KB, 1600x1067
I keep making these really atmospheric and droney synths, but then when I try to put it to a beat, it just sounds awful.

Actually when I try to put anything over it, it sounds awful.

Maybe I'm making them too complicated/slow?
>>
>>54001709
post kit or any kits you've made
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.