[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - music production general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: tumblr_njz1xqzSUh1s511rho1_1280.jpg (456 KB, 686x480) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njz1xqzSUh1s511rho1_1280.jpg
456 KB, 686x480
>fresh beats edition

Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music composition. Learn why you should pay thousands for an EQ and what a DI box is.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud for finished tracks and getting called a marmite miner for not going to soundcloud threads

We're making an album! (or trying to).
Check the next post for info.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki

Previous thread: >53844429
>>
File: 1423197195884.jpg (231 KB, 885x886) Image search: [Google]
1423197195884.jpg
231 KB, 885x886
>>53889581
We're making an album! (or trying to).
How to join:
>Take a good look at this picture
>Be inspired by it
>that's it
Anything goes, feel free to find anons to collab and have fun with in any way you want. Or just work solo.
We're doing this for fun.
>>
>>53889581
>marmite miner
holy shit my grampa used to say that. its still funny as shit to this day.
>>
Can anyone upload this to mega

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio:
http://digitalmusicsstudio.wikispaces.asu.edu/file/view/Mixing+Secrets+for+the+Small+Studio(2011)BBS.pdf

THe link isn't working for me
>>
>>53889731
the link's broken / not accessible without a login
>>
What genres are going to get big this year or for 2016?

I'm tired of making deep house and people are tired of hearing it too. I want to do something fresh but appealing to the mainstream, but I'm not actually talented so I have to resort to trend hopping until hopefully one day I'll be good at something.
>>
>>53889811
catching trends is hard, try listening to recent uploads in YouTube channels so you can get a grip on what's happening
>>
vocals will be added later and maybe redone.
but not sure if it stands alone as well as part a collection. its all keyboard sampler work.
is it too cheesy?
https://clyp.it/4aoy10qb
>>
>>53889811
everyone will start copying OPN since no one cares about vaprovawe anymore
>>
>>53889929
i had no idea vaperwave even took off. but im 26 though so what do i know. dubstep seems to finally stop with commercials on tv, everyone's getting tired of it since skrillex killed it.
what seems in the market is candy plastic rap beats the joos keep pushing. its not bad, but nothing exciting.

you gotta also put in the factor that little kids are just discovering aphex twin and dubstep too, im not being condescending. Im talking about kids younger than most on here are catching up and most markets are aimed towards them, since they are the easiest targets to sell to.
>>
>>53889811

PC music
>>
>>53890005
>skrillex killed it
you mean made it better? dubstep before him was just boring wobbling bass and shit quality sampled drums. it was an incredibly boring genre. only reason dubstep died out is because skrillex made it actually sound good and like all good sounding shit i got completely overplayed everywhere and became a fad(like almost every genre at one point in time)
>>
File: green-eyes-and-red-hair.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
green-eyes-and-red-hair.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>53890375
>>
>>53890648
not a soundcloud thread, read the OP
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 256x179) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 256x179
>>53890375
whatever.

what i mean is think how the guitar is so oversaturated in music that kids today would think of a faux pas guitar solo a la Slash as unappealing. But back in the 80s, everyone in the rock biz was doing guitar solos. It was part of the formula. It was also a very big fad for made for tv movies well into the early 90s along with the big band fad, a la Huey Lewis and the News, that mimicked "cosby/family matters" themes.

Today, you'll catch maybe one or two commercials using the dubstep formula, but 2 years back it was everywhere.
>>
>>53890703
>a faux pas guitar solo
don't use words you don't know the meaning of
>>
>>53890742
are you butt mad because i used slash as an example of a tactless act?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lxN7x8JVKM
>>
>>53889811
Deep House as a trend was the most bullshit thing that's happened in electronic music in the past 5 years.

That genre by nature is not mainstream. It just wasn't made for that kind of airtime.
>>
Guise whats the most inexpensive, most portable laptop you guys would recommend for producing? Lol I wanna be able to Renoise on the go but don't want to break the bank. Is 4GB ram is an i3 good enough? I know an i3 might be pushing it so if I find it for a cheap price I'll go for an i5.
>>
>>53889811
Future Bass is on the rise right now, whatever the fuck that means. I hope to god DnB doesn't take off in America. I love that music but percussion is my weakest attribut so I won't stand a Chance.
>>
File: i-just-dont-know-anymore.png (43 KB, 872x595) Image search: [Google]
i-just-dont-know-anymore.png
43 KB, 872x595
>wake up feeling fresh, hype myself up a little, smoke a cigarrette
>open DAW decide today's the day I make a song and take it seriously
>make drums, not too bad
>try to come up with a melody or drop and look through dozens of acapellas for something I could loop for a hook
>absolutely nothing, melodies and basslines sound uninspired, forced and boring, no vocals are interesting either
>start listening to songs I like for inspiration
>they just sound so much better than what I do, I don't even know what it is because my track has similar elements but nope
>been producing a few years so it's not like I'm new, I have plenty of samples and acapellas, I know enough technical stuff to allow me to produce
>start to feel like I've lost all my energy and everything is sounding worse
>end up lying on the sofa in a fetal position imagining I'm in a better place, might fall asleep
>get up later and either repeat the same process or just play a video game to block out the thought of how uncreative and uninspired I am
>suddenly 4 months have gone by and you can't remember a thing you've done in all that time, not even a song to show for it

Might kill myself in a few months, I can't take this much longer. My social life is shit, I have no qualifications, no job, no one likes me yet alone loves me, my family don't want anything to do with me, I can't make music which was the only thing I wanted in life. I don't want to die but I don't want to live either.
>>
>>53889811
it's all been done. future bass is slightly coming in.
listen to never say die records, ukf, black label, they all use great composition and their sounds are always unique.

as for what's coming in this year i'd put my finger on future bass and experimental hip hop.
>>
You all fuckers are trying to jump on the producer bandwagon like I am without realizing that shit is going downhill
>>
>>53891131
Shit dude stop thinking about it. Thinking about being creative is like creativity mental block #1.
>>
>>53891131
reading music theory helps a lot, you basically use the theory as a guide line
>>
>>53891252
Oh hey retard.
>>
So, I'm doing Coursera's courses on Ableton Live, Music Production, Songwriting, Developing your Musicianship and Ableton Live, 2 weeks left to finish. When it's done I'll make a .zip with all the videos and quizzes foryou guys
>>
>>53891131
Just keep making garbage. It'll eventually get better.

Rage quitting is not the answer, you have to make something crappy then figure out what you need to improve on to actually make progress.
>>
>>53891359
Do you think taking it increased your chances of being Tiesto some day?
>>
>>53891131
You should rest a little bit from it, it really helps. Don't force yourself.
>>
>>53891416
Nope. I'm not interested in producing EDM but it helped me to create good stuff for once in my llife
>>
>>53891359
Cool thanks
>>
>>53891486
EW
>>
>>53891536
kek
>>
>>53891359
I've always been meaning to try out some of those Coursera music courses.

Do they help a lot? What about in the composing/song making aspect?

Also, do you have to pay or can I just sign up and do them all for free? I can't be bothered to wait 2 weeks, I'm bored now.
>>
>>53890703
you know, I always think about this. 80s to the beggining of the 90s were saturated with hard rock and glam rock bands, then came grunge and grunge became a thing.

EDM is everywhere, from TV commercials to pop music, DJs are the rockstars of this generation, so what the hell will come after this?
>>
>>53891057
p- pls respond
>>
>>53891580
>Do they help a lot? What about in the composing/song making aspect?

You know, the music theory one actually helped me more than just following a book, since there's a person talking with examples (I learn faster this way).

It's not perfect but if you use the lessons with something else (they list books that you can buy) it's definetly worth checking out
>>
>>53891580
They are free and I think you can sign in and watch the older videos
>>
>>53891603
I think an I3 would be alright, i would go for 8gigs of ram though... With an i3 you will have to bounce some channels depending on how many elements you have going on.
>>
>>53891589
rappers are the rock stars of this generation. electronic music makers or DJs as you call them are on the rise but not there yet. I believe they are what will come next after the rapper rock star thing dies out.
>>
>>53891693
>>
>>53891702
Are you american? I don't if that's how it is in America, third world brazilian here, EDM is bigger here than everything else, and then you read how much these guys earn per year and you get the idea that I have
>>
File: tumblr_mtmwi0vt0L1sd5mhbo1_500.jpg (143 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtmwi0vt0L1sd5mhbo1_500.jpg
143 KB, 500x334
>>53889581
https://soundcloud.com/thefirstmaninspace/yeah-act-surprised

I'd love any producing comments. I know what type of music I want to make, I just need some producing tips
>>
>>53891783
no soundclouds
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.