[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post albums you show to change the mind of people who were "born
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12
File: helplessness blues.jpg (147 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
helplessness blues.jpg
147 KB, 500x500
Post albums you show to change the mind of people who were "born in le wrong generation"

Or in other words, current albums that can match the classics.
>>
You first.
>>
>>53763752
I already did. That album will go down as one of the best albums of all time, and it is.
>>
>>53763876
It really won't.
>>
>>53763992
why not?
>>
>>53764030
You're showing people what is essentially a revivalist act that music is just as good today?
>>
>>53764093
maybe. but there are still some unique features in that album like "free jazz" part of The Shrine/An Argument which you wouldn't see very often in folk albums.

And is it really a revivalist act? I feel like music like this album really gives a 21st century vibe.
>>
>>53764200
Don't get me wrong, I think they're great. But it's nothing far removed from Cat Stevens, Paul Simon or Crosby Stills & Nash.

Their good records for their time but not classics to be remembered forever more IMO.
>>
>>53764269
Well maybe because it's not so removed from cat stevens and paul simon wronggenerationers will like it?

And if Crosy Still & Nash, Paul Simon and Cat Stevens are all rememberd I don't see a reason for fleet foxes to not be.
>>
>>53763739
>to change the mind of people who were "born in le wrong generation"
... into holding their beliefs even more strongly? Because that's the only response I can imagine to hearing Helplessness Memes.
>>
>>53763739
Lovely record i agree anon
>>
>>53763739
That album is shit, it only has one good song
>>
>>53764390
This
>>
why would you want to change their minds
>>
File: RadioMoscowRadioMoscow.jpg (73 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
RadioMoscowRadioMoscow.jpg
73 KB, 400x399
>>53763739
>pic related
>>
File: number7.jpg (69 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
number7.jpg
69 KB, 500x500
Depends on how you define 'current'. Showed this to a stuck-up Floyd fan and he really dug it though.
>>
Sufjan Stevens- Illinois or Age of Adz. blows most old things out of the water.
>>
>>53763739
Which classics?
>>
>>53763876
yikes
>>
File: Cover.jpg (65 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
65 KB, 500x500
>>53763739
Underrated by all
>>
File: homepage_large.0e818946.jpg (89 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.0e818946.jpg
89 KB, 319x319
>>
>>53763876

Dude, I like that album. But cmon, it's not even near one of the best of all time, just chill
>>
Helplesness Blues and BLDW are the only 10/10's release this decade so far. Fleet Foxes will 100% be remembered as a classic band of our generation and they deserve it. That album is incredible and even if it doesn't rise above "modern Crosby Stills and Nash" it's still fucking incredible.

I can't stand it when people on here give Helplessness Blues shit, it's the epitome of contrarianism.
>>
>>53763739
This one album singlehandedly dismantled my "lewronggeneration" phase
It is a great way to get people to get into music
>>
>>53765098
underrated post

>to get the gurlz XD
>>
>>53765536
>listening to it now

bretty good actually, thanks dude :D
I don't like the voice very much, maybe I'll get used to it eventually, also, at some times it feels really bloated, but aside from that, there's definitely talent in there, much better than what you'd expect from a band in current times.
>>
>>53766456
Maybe it's not at the absolute top but it's definitely up there.
>>
>>53765632
DSOTM, Pet Sounds, Abbey Road things like that.
>>
>>53766534
I feel retarded but
what the fuck is BLDW
>>
File: folder.jpg (379 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
379 KB, 1200x1200
>>
>>53767624
bold love deep web
>>
File: folder.jpg (910 KB, 919x919) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
910 KB, 919x919
>>53767638
and this
>>
>>53765670
Not me, Mirage Hall is an incredible track
>>
>>53767624
black lovers deep within
>>
>>53767518
Not even close to be aoty 2011
>>
>>53767788
and what's that? what's the objectively best album of 2011?
>>
>>53767796
>objectively best
no such thing, pleb.
>>
>>53767821
so why are you saying shit like "not even close to be aoty 2011"? are you only saying that because maybe it's not one of your favorite albums from the year?

please fuck off
>>
/mu/ hating on helplessness blues really makes me want to sink into a deep, deep, clinical depression, that cannot be beaten no matter how many pills I am to be prescribed, until one day I realize there is nothing left for me in this world and I take a rope, hang it from my ceiling fan, make a noose, put my head in the noose, and jump.
>>
>>53767886
>butthurt shit foxes fan
lmao
>>
>>53766630
>much better than what you'd expect from a band in current times.
wat
>>
helplessnuess blues is full of crummy pseudointelelctual lyrics about how emperors and commoners bother end up naked in the grave. smh. entry level philosophy robin
>>
>>53767912
atleast I don't pretend to hate good music so I can look cool on 4chan
>>
>>53763752
>>53763992
>>53765651
>>53766456
I'm with OP, Pecknold has a knack for melody and with poignant, authentic lyrics. Combine that with decently innovative songwriting and the voice of an angel and you've got a classic
>>
>>53767988
>good music
jej, is this your first day here?
>>
>>53768035
are you implying that going on /mu/ might improve one's music taste? are you this fucking stupid?
>>
>>53768056
No, I'm just saying that it's common for newcommers to praise music like fleet foxes, the strokes, interpol, so on.
>>
>>53763876
i actually agree, yelp
>>
>>53765098
i need something to
change your mind

MAIYND
>>
>>53768111
please explain to me why fleet foxes are so bad. name actually bad qualities about them.
>>
>>53768158
First explain why they're good
>>
File: tm.jpg (8 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
tm.jpg
8 KB, 225x224
I show em this, because I think it's a pretty great album, and also because it takes so much inspiration from the classics they probably like.
>>
>>53768035
troll or degenerate?
>>
>>53768111
I think it's easy for people on /mu/ for a long time to dismiss the music that newcomers / they at one time loved just for the sole reason that that music helped them get into more challenging music. Just because something is used as a stepping stone doesn't take away from it's artistic merit, and that's a trap too many people fall into thinking. Too often I see 'patrician' /mu/tants comparing music based on the wrong things - obscurity wins over renown, mythos behind the music wins over a boring run-of-the-mill production of an album. None of those things actually factor into the music itself but for some reason people value them over musical content - I'm not saying people act like that to be pretentious, but often these opinions come packaged with a superior attitude.

Personally I don't think The Strokes or Interpol or any p4kcore artist really is on the same level as Fleet Foxes. Yes, they achieved acclaim with p4k and Fantano (and many others) and I do not think they deserve to be faulted for that. I think musically Fleet Foxes are on another level from most music we've heard this decade. But this is all just my opinion.
>>
>>53768208
>degenerate
>>>/pol/
>>
>>53768183
I asked you first didn't I? I'm not going to waste my time on a tryhard contrarian like you so untill you can actually explain bad qualities about them I don't see why I should explain why they're good.

Not to mention that after i'll explain what makes them good you'll just try to disprove everything I say while not actually explaining why they're bad. I've seen this happens why too many times to fall in this trap again. Explain what makes Fleet Foxes bad or i'll just ignore everything you say.
>>
>>53768183
>>53768023
this guy did it for you
>>
>>53768229
Damn you're really king memer aren't you?
>>
>>53768209
well spoken I agree with everything you said.

It's not their fault they became popular, they became popular because they're good. If they were some obscure band it's clear that all their now haters would like them (unless they just don't like this style of music).
>>
>>53768265
>uses the word degenerate
>calls me memer
Am I a cuck too? Fuck off kiddo.
>>53768244
>lyrics
>relevant to music

>FF's songwriting
>innovative
>>
>>53766456
It's okay, I went through a hyperbolic phase like that when I was 17 too
>>
>>53768299
>not responding to the guy you were arguing with because you know you lost
>honestly thinking lyrics don't matter like it's not an aspect of the art form or something
>>
It isn't that complicated. See also: The Lemon of Pink, Era Vulgaris, The Glow Pt. 2, The Lonesome Crowded West, etc. albums that have a definitive sound, respect their influences, but explore new ideas and create their own influence
>>
>>53768299
lmao lyrics are part of music as an artform - the voice is an instrument, and poetry is art. Obviously great music does not have to have lyrics or even have good lyrics but great lyrics only add to the artistic merit of an album
>>
>>53768322
I literally replied to that guy in the post you just quoted. Are you retarded?
>>
>>53768299
Dude at least respond to me. If you don't want to consider the lyrics, fine. I'm personally usually not that huge on lyrics anyway. But songwriting-wise I challenge you to find more than a few names in the same genre as Fleet Foxes doing what they do. Helplessness Blues features song structures that obviously are influenced by progressive music, as well as a bevy of traditional instrumentation used in ways you won't find in other music. One track even features a free jazz horn solo - it's not great free jazz, but I challenge you to find me another band with the exposure of FF that is even willing to come close to free jazz.

Please explain why you don't think they are innovative.
>>
>>53768354
eh i'd go for Sound of Silver and Moon & Antarctica - but still good choices anon
>>
>>53768375

>>53768234
>>
>>53768391
those work just as well, you're probably right about sound of silver
>>
>>53768299
>>53768265
was my first post in this thread. Just noticing all the buzz/meme words you're using. Are you just trying to fit in?
>>
>>53768390
>One track even features a free jazz horn solo
wow so random and avant
>close to free jazz.
you don't listen to much free jazz do you

What's the next album pitchfork will tell you to like?
>>
>>53763739
This meme is getting tired, just accept the fact that music used to be better than what it is now.
>>
I still can't tell if /mu/ hates Fleet Foxes or loves them.
>>
I would show them OPN or maybe Sung Tongs

Fun story- I actually showed Sung Tongs and Replica to a guy like this and he seemed to appreciate Replica for just the sonic wash it created, but he told me the vocals on Sung Tongs reminded him "of Crosby stills and Nash. Only nowhere near as good"
>>
>>53768442
it's really easy to call something you don't agree with a meme, isn't it?
>>
>>53768441
Did you even read my post
I said it's not good free jazz, and asked if you could find me an album with the exposure they have that is bold enough to incorporate anything like it

You're not proving your own point at all, you're coming across like a bull-headed 'patrician' and trying to dismiss my point with sarcasm. I'd like to hear a legitimate argument or I'm done here.
>>
>>53763876
this kind of passion and bold-faced praise is refreshing

i like it
>>
>>53768442
depends on the period, I mean I think that music between 64-69 was better than music now overall but I also think that music now is better than 84-89.

It all goes down to taste in the end.
>>
>>53768484
> I'd like to hear a legitimate argument
That'd be pretty hard because I didn't listen to the album
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 225x225
>>53768459
We pretty much love them.

I don't think this is a "modern classic" or anything but I show albums like this to fuccbois that say "waahhh hip hop's dying what happened to the golden age brrooo" fucking hate those people.
>>
>>53768459
Most people that "hate" them just do it out of pure contrarianism sense they're a relatively popular band. Not to say that everybody loves them, but it seems that most reasonable people either like, or are indifferent to them.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 125x125
>>53768517
>making judgements about an album you didn't even listen to
>calling people out as p4k drones for liking a good album
I hope you get in a car accident
>>
>>53768568
>falling for the bait
>being so butthurt
>>
>>53768517
Goddamn. Alright, well I highly recommend it, but I guess only listen when you're feeling open-minded (I'm guessing that doesn't happen too often though)
>>53768585
You're such a hilarious poster of this /mu/ board on 4chan
>>
File: goya.jpg (3 MB, 1024x1881) Image search: [Google]
goya.jpg
3 MB, 1024x1881
>>53768459
>>53768523
I like them but they're really not that good

listen to white winter hymnal - ragged wood - blue ridge mountains - drops in the river- mykonos - montezuma - helplessness blues and maybe something else off of helplessness blues only

Normally I'm very strict about listening to complete albums, but theirs really aren't worth it

mm blue ridge mountains is nice
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.