[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come some people don't get Jazz?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 3
File: MI0001401050.jpg (25 KB, 311x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0001401050.jpg
25 KB, 311x400
How come some people don't get Jazz?
>>
Whats to get, its just pop with trumpets.
>>
why dont you kids like the tool?
>>
le happy jazz gnome
>>
Why is so much jazz shitty?
>>
File: 12348.jpg (29 KB, 320x297) Image search: [Google]
12348.jpg
29 KB, 320x297
>>53493839
??
>>
>>53493886
maybve you just don't get it?

why tho? post your IQ
>>
I do!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmOTGungnA
>>
>>53493924
>IQ
>related to understanding of music
>>
>>53493839
that's funny, because Jazz is THE art music of choice since the 50s brah
>>
File: Liam Gallagher 660 Reuters.jpg (850 KB, 3049x2274) Image search: [Google]
Liam Gallagher 660 Reuters.jpg
850 KB, 3049x2274
>that guy who thinks jazz is art music
>>
>>53494024
haha, there he is
>>53494010
>>
>>53493830
a lot of it just sounds dated, I think my main obstacle with jazz was that I already had a preconception of what jazz sounded like even when I was a kid and stuff like bebop and modal stuff actually sounds like what I imagined it would which made it seem super boring and also made it all sound the same to me., its almost like a caricature of itself, which is a shame because I realize the problem is me.

I've gotten into less standard forms of jazz, I like thirdstream music alot. I like Ethio-jazz a lot. I like Jazz-funk a lot. But to this day I still can't listen to a Kind of Blue at all even though I like other less 'generic' styles Miles has done on albums like On The Corner, SKetches of Spain, and Bitches Brew
>>
>>53493944
This.
I listen to tons of classical and I believe what one could call "intellectual music" but I'm stupid as fuck
>>
>>53494024
read the wikipedia page on art music you dick
>>
>>53493830
how come some people don't get calculus? how come some people don't get past surface level philosophy and history? same shit but different
>>
>>53494064
>radioclassical = intellectual music

lol
>>
>>53494092
No, I meant classical music and another type of music one could call classical. Also I get my stuff from rutracker
>>
too complex for plebs
>>
>>53494083
b-because their are stupid?
>>
>>53494107
I meant call intellectual.
I
>>
>>53493830
{'' Is that A Monk or a Pharoah?

http://youtu.be/CsiQ8YNhEnQ")
>>
>>53494064
only a smart person would acknowledge own stupidity in the cosmic perspective
>>
Does Bowie count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnOhBykB-z4
>>
people don't understand it. same way that i don't really understand the point of screamo metal
>>
>>53494162
>screamo metal
>>
>if you don't like it you're just stupid
>wikipedia calls it art so its superior

This is some level trolling if ever I saw it. At least put some substance into your arguments.
>>
>>53494188
>wikipedia therefore it's wrong
>i dont agree so it must be trollin

i like your arguments best
>>
>>53494155
killer song but bowie doesnt even play any instruments...
>>
>>53494227
>wikipedia therefore it's wrong

Said no one.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0ka1tY5yg

literally the only good jazz album ever made.
>>
>>53494024
it is art-music you retard.
>>
>>53493830
because some people aren't very good at pattern recognition, and need things to spoon fed to them.
>>
>>53494333
yeah.. fuckin morons.
>>
>>53494155
' If only stars could create soul')

#if_so_fact
>>
>>53493830

Some people are just stupid

>>53494054

That's not really that you don't get jazz but more than you don't get a kind of jazz.
That's a very different thing imo.
>>
>>53494359
http://youtu.be/HRD0ghlFSgk

''Kin 8
Harmonic 2: Galactic Store Remember elegance of integrity ''
>>
>>53494380

yeah but the point I was getting at is that preconceptions and an overall datedness means that a lot of people who aren't into jazz are not going to be pulled in with a couple listens, its not that its too challenging to them its that is sounds boring.
>>
which type of Jazz is the smartest?
>>
>>53494333
>>53494380
see
>>53494188
>>
>>53494611

The post said don't get and not don't like.

I get why death grips could be enjoyable but i don't like them.
>>
>>53494550
The type of free-jazz that sun ra did on strange strings
>>
>>53494535
it's not that they're dated, it's that you aren't actively listening to those pieces, and I recognize that probably find the textures unexciting.

Smooth jazz, and big band is basically intended to be inoffensive, background music. Whereas hard bop and more contemporary jazz styles are supposed to center stage events, that demand attention from the listener. For exactly the same reasons you described, many people dislike contemporary jazz styles, and even contemporary rock and dance music styles.
>>
>>53494550

Maximalist drone avant-free post-neo noise jazzcore
>>
>>53494696
avant-teen != smart

>such experimental
>much avant-garde
>so patrishun
>>
>>53494611
you must be one of the people will low reading, listening, and pattern comprehension skills.

sorry dude, go back to kpop general
>>
>>53494761
dank meme /b/ro
>>
Because Coltrane's music sounds like fast, chaotic and ugly noise to me. I just don't understand it, personally.
>>
>>53494741
sun ra was a legit genius tho, so it's only logic to assume his music was pack full of high intelligence.

i bet you just dont get it and think atlantis is trash (it's a masterpiece btw)
>>
>>53494772
>the meme defense

interesting. tell me about your childhood
>>
>there are people on /mu/ who listen to jazz because they think it makes them look intelligent

Pathetic.
>>
I enjoy jazz, but I feel like blues is more sentimental, and time-aware, and less repetitive. (I know some people are going to shit on me for not recognizing blues as a sub-genre of jazz)
>>
>there are people on /mu/ who listen to pop because they don't get intelligent music

pathetic.
>>
>>53494784
Loool, yeah Coltrane is hard to listen to
>>
>>53494815
Stable and happy.

What was yours like to make you so insecure that you wear music as a badge, pretending your taste makes you more intelligent and what are you doing to boost your self-esteem outside of /mu/?
>>
>>53494741
you don't have to be an avant-teen to like that album, and sun ra literally re-purposed his musicians for that album. While I think it's a pretty genius album, saying it was the smartest was pretty blatant irony.

No type of music is really more intellectual than any other (outside the scope of pop-music, and that includes pop-jazz).

I'd say Sketches of Spain is probably the smartest jazz album I've ever listened to, though.
>>
>>53494890
I've heard some of the obligatory Miles and Mingus albums, and I did enjoy them. I can't even get into Blue Train tho. Oh well.
>>
>>53494917
which ones did you enjoy and which parts?

what are some other artists you enjoy?

Let me culturally enrich you
>>
>>53494917
Dude thing is that the progression of jazz is just essentially music getting more technical and way fucking faster. It's like guitarists that do "epic solos". It's just not that impressive to me if it doesn't please my ears, I think it takes a lot more to make you feel something rather than to cater to your genre's aficionados.
>>
>>53494889
is that really a belief people hold? i've always been of the opinion that if you listen to artists of african descent then you must be an idiot
>>
>>53494696
>strange strings

holy fuck this is great. was there anyone better than Sun Ra
>>
Jazz is nothing more the musical masturbation.
>>
>>53495028
well your opinion sounds like an idiot himself.
>>
>>53495071
Nah, negroes are an inferior species and have always wasted their trash lives living like scum, those few ones that manage to go above themselves must surely be poor in spiritual content and I believe this is reflected in their music, hence the reason why you must be an idiot to like it.
>>
>>53494999
> I think it takes a lot more to make you feel something

of course, zero musical knowledge with absolutely no critical sense about music as music.

what takes to "make you feel" ? oh i know some cliche I-VI-V-IV progression with some generic "cool" person singing simple melodies over an pathetic attempt of poetry.

fuck u faggot
>>
>>53495048
I hold Ra, Mingus, Kirk, and as of late, Davis, as the best jazz band leaders/composers.

Ra did so much crazy interesting stuff with so many different instruments. Night of the Purple Moon was a favorite of mine after I started listening to a lot of Haack a few years ago.

The thing that really set's ra apart from the rest for me, is how prolific the people who played under him are. If you have never listened to any (kelan) Phil Cohran, I highly recommend it. Absolutely beautiful, without any of the aficionado complexity of ra's stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKlvYGIje-M
>>
>>53495068
Not to mention pretentious as fuck.
>>
>>53495178
Sun Ra is a fucking faggot

>ima play random shit dressed like a clown, will please hipsters who dont understand music
>>
>>53493830
I don't know, but I have a pet-theory of aesthetics that may clear it for us.
There are basically two substances in an art work. There is ""res extensa"", the physical qualities, and all the subjective impressions they give to you (how beautiful and emotional a song may be, for example), but there is also a ""res cogitans"", the logical structure of the work, that only becomes clear when you apply reason to it (the way different themes are arranged in a composition, for example).
This second quality of music is generally forgotten, and people tend to listen for the sensitive qualities of the song. In order to fully appreciate a jazz work you have to immerse yourself into the solos and try to understand what the soloist is doing, or at least attempt to see where he is going. Without this it can be no other thing than boring, since you have the same harmonic background repeating and a soloist doing seemingly random sounds (with a exception for really passionate soloists who give some intensity and emotion in their solos that are interest in themselves)
>>
>>53494948
Um, it's been a while since I've heard them. But I definitely liked all of Kind of Blue. I recall liking Mingus Ah Um as well; the Pork Pie Hat tune was my favorite on that. And I liked all the flute and other instruments on the Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

>>53494999
Yeah. I guess I just dig the slower stuff.
>>
>>53495218
>hur dur physics is pretentious becuz im too dumb to understand

faggot go listen triadic music
>>
>>53495178
will def check it out, thanks dude.

i aslo love haack btw
>>
>>53495224
You sir, are an idiot!
>>
>>53495112
Dude don't fucking talk to me about cliche, jazz is the epitome of repetition and cliche. You're gonna bust out your ostinato or embellish the melody with a relative scale? Jazz literally went from improvisation, to composition, to improvisation. No fucking music has ever been so repetitive. Jazz was structured with AAB for the longest time.
>>
>>53495249
>mfw I got VG++ original pressing of TEL for less than 20$

I love living in a big fuck city with aged hippies 2 hours away for cheap psych records.

here's a rarer cohran album https://mega.co.nz/#F!Jw8DAQBL!5XCDNkSbkE37CrYB6ZxeaQ

>>53495245
check out cohran, it's slow and melodic, not show offy at all. As my prof would say "eloquent elegance." you could also try some spacier albums. Perhaps bitches brew, headhunters, night of the purple moon/ space is the place might extend an olive branch for you.

If you still have trouble, just accept your tastes aren't fully developed yet and come back in a few months and try again.
>>
>>53495364
>free improvised music is the most repetitive music ever.

dat logic. just go back to your little pop thread
>>
>>53495364
you ever listen to Otomo Yoshihide or if I'm gonna reach that far, you ever listen to Zorn?

yoshihide could make your grandma love free-jazz
>>
>>53495420
Fuck you too pseudo-intellectual, entitled white dude.
>>
>>53495465
Nah man, will do though
>>
Jazz is boring!
>>
>>53495364
rofl faggot "AAB" form , literally zero musical knowledge
>>
>>53495266
A furfa** into jazz? What the hell kind of weirdo are you? I bet you really dig that grindcore shit. Do yah!
>>
>>53495537
just like math and philosophy is boring for the simple minded
>>
>>53495529
I recommend his work with Ground-zero. Excellent blend of wacky shibyu-kei and free-jazz. I'm of course exaggerating how accessible he is, but once his music clicked for me there literally was not an album that I felt was above my tastes.

O'rourke and Zorn both knew he was amazing back in the 90's
>>
>>53495580
Zip it, you pompous blowhard!
>>
Lol wut?
>>
>>53495561
>can't deny any of what I said
>resorts to calling me a fan got for the second time
>technical white dude with no musical talent other than what they have taught him.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.