[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Production Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: Le Crazy Panning.png (802 KB, 1920x1037) Image search: [Google]
Le Crazy Panning.png
802 KB, 1920x1037
Share WIPs, discuss DAWs, shitpost about needing/not needing music theory, get advice, learn things, read the manual vicariously through other anons.
>>
first for you don't need a degree to make it
>>
>>51798605
You're still better than Mailey.
>>
>>51798647
3rd for you dont need western harmonic theory either
>>
What the hell are notation softwares? People in the previous thread are arguing about them and I've never heard of them before and wikipedia seems to suggest they're some sort of pretentious score-viewing software.
>>
>if you want to be a professional production engineer go to a production school

>microtuning is gimmicky shit

>Avicii is better than deadmau5

>eastern scales are shit

>skrillex is literally jesus

>"why cant i stop making shitty techno?"

that covers just about everything
>>
>>51798647
I don't think that was ever the argument. The argument was whether a degree helps. Which it does.
>>
>>51798663
To make it you sure do.
>>
>>51798666
>pretentious
Stop using words when you don't know hat they mean.

The programs are Finale and Sibeleus, they're for writing music to print out for performers instead of for the computer to make the music. They do have rudimentary playback abilities though.
>>
>>51798695
>To get to spray champagne and throw cake off a stage you need to be able to write cookie cutter jingles in inoffensive tonalities.
very well, agreed on that front
>>
File: notation.png (560 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
notation.png
560 KB, 1366x768
>>51798666
This is a notation software, Satan.
>>
File: Proof Reading Sibelius.png (517 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
Proof Reading Sibelius.png
517 KB, 1920x1040
>>51798666
programs like Sibelius, Finale, and others

here's a free one you can check out:
http://musescore.org/

The focus is on typesetting a musical score for real players to play, rather than on the actual sounds of the playback, kind of like a word processor.

you 'type' out a score then print off the parts for the players.

they dont usually have very nice sounds usually using your inbuilt MIDI samples, but some allow you to import high quality sample packs like a DAW.

for example here's one of my scores in Sibelius 6
>>
>>51798729
you can also pull midi files out of them.
i used to help teach a music production class at my old highschool while i was a student and my teacher used to use finale to write all his midi pieces and then he would drop them in a daw.
>>
>>51798743
I'm guessing you have no idea that nearly, if not all music discussed in these threads is 12 tone. But if you think you can make it by playing strange harpsichord music, I'm not stopping you. But don't kid yourself into thinking that what people want isn't 12 tone music.
>>
>>51798769
I tried doing that before. Never again. Instruments all came out mangled. Many were assigned to the wrong instruments. Dynamics became absolutely horrific, some too loud, some too soft.
>>
>>51798752
What's with the red stuff on the drums?
>>
>>51798605
i make music but everyone tells me my vocal mixing is shit, i can eq and compress, what else do i need to know?
>>
>>51798831
download nectar by izotope i told you last thread
>>
>>51798828
To play two melodies at the same time on the same instrument.
>>
File: 2.png (139 KB, 1440x859) Image search: [Google]
2.png
139 KB, 1440x859
>>51798678
eastern scales are awesome, fuck u
microtonality is also awesome
skrillex is not
>>
>>51798842
shit is like $300
>>
File: 1416983989258.png (46 KB, 174x238) Image search: [Google]
1416983989258.png
46 KB, 174x238
>>51798803
>making music that other people want
kek-overload
>>
>>51798828
It's the second layer. If the instrument or part isn't monophonic, it's often easier to notate it on a second layer. It still prints out black though.
>>
>>51798873
>can't into comprehension
I specifically replied saying in order to make it. It's not my fault you can't figure out how to read.
>>
>>51798868
>what is pirating

i have over $1,500 worth of plugins that im still using demos for and just freezing and bouncing out the tracks when im done using them.
>restarted guitar rig over 60 times working on a project last month
pain in the ass but its less of a pain than a 1.5k hole in my wallet
>>
>>51798759
Eh, I think the inbuilt sounds are actually okay if you're going for a certain aesthetic and feel.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1N5Lj9VASmh

Did you switch sound libraries from the MIDI stuff to Garritan (which is packaged with Finale)?
>>
>>51798904
if becoming a lauded hero of the trve kvlt vndergrovnd & all the meanwhile staying true to your values isn't 'making it' then nothing is
>>
>>51798933
yeah If you're going for that FFVI soundtrack feel, they're fine.

nah I dont use sibelius for playback, only the visual score.
My composition prof actually told us not to pay attention to the playback when deciding dynamics. Its better to kind of feel it in your head, what level instruments will be at certain dynamics, and what dynamic they need to be to stand out/melt into the background.
takes a lot of practice: writing a piece, rehearsing it with the players, taking notes in the score and refining the piece.

eventually you get your dynmamics pretty close to correct just using your head, but you're always revising pieces based on rehearsal and performances.
>>
>>51798933
>>51798759
Wait, sorry, ignore the second sentence. Didn't see that you use Sibelius instead of Finale.
>>
>>51798933
Garratian does some hilarious stuff sometimes, especially with glissandi
>>
>>51798933
cool piece btw.
would really benefit from good quality orchestral samples and real guitar being recorded in
>>
i dont know why but when i master tracks and do stereo imaging all my tracks have this odd sort of ring in the center of the liss. meters.
>shitty drawn pic related because i couldnt find a clean screenshot of the meter

anybody else have weird occurrences they find in their music?
>>
>>51798605
what does kontakt sound like is it worth the 40gb+ of hdd space
>>
>>51799168
sounds like real instruments m8
>>
File: Kontakt and Play4.png (810 KB, 1920x1039) Image search: [Google]
Kontakt and Play4.png
810 KB, 1920x1039
>>51799168
Kontakt is just a VST plugin, through kontakt you can use proper sample libraries from companies like East West or Vienna Philharmonic.

It doesn't have sounds itself, just a staging program for your DAW to recognize certain samples.

This is what they sound like:
(east west quantum leap orchestra)
https://soundcloud.com/psllbof/close-the-airlock
everything except the synth

East West Stormdrum for example is good enough to be used on the Terminator 3 and 4 soundtracks

I used the RA pack for the OP, but only for the duduk and santoor (arabic dulcimer-type instrument). Its all world instruments, kind of specific and definitely not for every project.
Has shit like bagpipes, alpenhorn, launeddas, dizi, didgeridoo, banjo, etc.
https://soundcloud.com/psllbof/dark-thought
stormdrum electronic kits and large percussion, synths from FL , vocals
>>
>>51799038
Thanks. What orchestral sample library, if any, do you use?
>>
>>51799786
I'm using EWQLSO but its fairly outdated. would like some spitfire audio and cinebrass/winds samples.
just like learning you never really stop finding new samples and instruments. the pro composer/producers I've seen work have 1-4 Terabyte external HDDs they store all their samples on, building up huge libraries over time. This + accumulation of better quality real instruments, better mics and preamps allow the producer with the biggest wallet to set up a pretty nice home audio studio and do some very serious sounding work
>>
so whats the deal with chord progressions, how come mine don't sound beautiful
>>
>>51800497
write better ones
>>
>>51800497
that's where music theory helps
>>
>>51800512
and this is were theory comes in. i know exactly what i want to find out about, but its like nothing comes up in google
>>
File: circle.png (84 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
circle.png
84 KB, 600x600
>>51800553
Learn to use this.
And go in weird patterns.

Also different voicings help like having a traid chord across 2-3 octaves
>>
>>51800585
yea i have been fucking with the circle of 5ths for a while, i just realized that i have to memorize the order of the chords in a scale
>>
hi im a 3d artist looking to get into music production
i mention being a 3d artist because we have sites like www.3dmotive.com and stuff to learn from

I was wondering if there was a similar site for learning software like Ableton?
>>
>>51800639
not really. Just find an awesome progression and work backwards man
>>
File: chopper.jpg (7 KB, 350x298) Image search: [Google]
chopper.jpg
7 KB, 350x298
>>51800648
Try this
https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/categories/tutorials/

but youtube tutorials are usually pretty good.

Also the manual
>>
>>51800666
nice try satan
>>
File: 76547.jpg (137 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
76547.jpg
137 KB, 500x667
So I'm doing some bedroom recording and I could use some tips on how to improve my sound. My gear is a sm 57, vox ad50vt and les paul 50s tribute and I'm recording with Reaper rewired with Reason. I'm more interested on the tips for the second part on the song as I just rushed the intro in

https://soundcloud.com/torrievogt/come-up-1
>>
>>51800693
ill tell you how it sounds in my bedroom if you want.
>>
>>51800684
>Into the Abyss: Make Ambient Drones in Live
perfect thank you

I had been doing some youtube ones but wasn't sure if there was something more professional I could learn from
>>
>>51800693
it souns great on my end, but i wouldn't be able to spot much wrong anyways i'm still a little new
>>
>>51800705
I can't tell if this is an innuendo or if you have a sound system setup in your room
>>51800902
good to know there's nothing too obviously wrong with the sound thanks
>>
>>51800693
maybe a little more thump in the kicks, in the parts that the bass guitar isn't so prominent
>>
File: Beautiful chord progression.png (13 KB, 507x184) Image search: [Google]
Beautiful chord progression.png
13 KB, 507x184
>>51800497
I tend to go for feel instead of trying to use theory to write progressions. Try playing some on the piano/midi keyboard or guitar.

it also pays to think about voice leading. a chord is made up of notes, and each note should move to a logical other note in the next chord in your progression, so in essence you're kind of writing 3 or 4 melodies at once.

the other option is to see how the masters do it, they use chords made from the notes of the key they're working in (from I - VII) and sometimes use applied chords (wiki that shit)
>>
The problem i have is that I often use only one or two chord progressions for each emotion or atmosphere I want to have. So all my "sad" pieces have similar chord progressions, my "triumphant" pieces have similar chord progressions, my "oppressive" pieces, so on and so on. There's variety in the melodies and stuff, but the chord progressions are all similar. When I deliberately try to experiment, I often find deviations unfitting.

Is this another problem that can be solved with learning theory in-depth?
>>
File: wtc-i-14b.jpg (29 KB, 407x197) Image search: [Google]
wtc-i-14b.jpg
29 KB, 407x197
>>51801604
it can help. try shifting through keys instead of sticking in the same key.

another thing you can try is having some of the notes from the previous chord hang over into the next chord. These are usually called suspensions, and should resolve into the next chord. only certain notes will work.
>>
>>51800497
>inb4 "use G D Em C" on everything
>>
Hey guys, working on this at the moment, mix critiques as well as composition critiques are super appreciated!

Also happy to explain how I did anything if you're wondering, seeing as this is a production thread :)

https://soundcloud.com/waveless/hidden-temples/s-Eh1cQ
>>
>>51802044
Here's a picture of the session too.
>>
im pretty sure i follow you bro, ill check it out

does anyone know how to use fruity layer?
>>
>>51798678
>>microtuning is gimmicky shit
Almost always true

>>eastern scales are shit
FUCK NO
>>
>>51802044
Wow man, i really like this track.
>>
Pro tip:

Spend all of the time you usually spend online making tunes instead and you'll get a lot better at making tunes.

Use your ears not your eyes.
>>
>>51802245
Thanks! Anything you disliked?
>>
>>51802273
I'd say you could work on the intro. But overall sounds good as fuck.
>>
>>51802288
Sweet! I'll take that onboard and see what I can do to make it better.

Appreciate the kindness haha.
>>
>>51798769
I do that with guitar pro 4
>>
>>51802298
Anyways dont listen to my words since i am a begginer producer.
>>
File: sdf.jpg (185 KB, 1365x728) Image search: [Google]
sdf.jpg
185 KB, 1365x728
Working on this shit. Dark instrumental hip hop (witch hop). Synths do most of work & sound. Too early to put the tracks out though.
People described my stuff as pretty good, dark & catchy, butt fuck them, I will never think of my stuff as good.
>>
>>51802258
fucking word. best post in this thread.
>>
Microtuning is for wankers who pointlessly jerk their music off few dB tenths of some instrument wont make your track shittier than it is.
>>
>>51802044
so whats your basic procedure for mixing synths, is it crafty compression or just volume?
>>
>>51802354
Ey?
dBs? Tenths? Tuning?

Even do music you?
>>
>>51802358
I always sidechain my sub bass to the kick to help the two not clash as much. It really depends on the synth when it comes to compression, I find distortion really comes out nicely if you use some multiband compression on it.

In terms of mixing synths I tend to try and get specific frequency ranges for each one and filter out anything outside of that range, giving each instrument it's own section in the piece. It doesn't always work but when it does it makes a track really shine.

In short I guess it's a mix of good compression and volume. Trust your ears though, listen on different systems and learn what works and doesn't then try your best to find a middle ground.
>>
>>51802381
nah just passing through, dont mind me

fgt
>>
This is the first track I've made http://vocaroo.com/i/s0U7ZM2CLGVt

Using Live. Looking for any tips to make it better
>>
>>51802398
Has a very rigid feeling to it, which i guess you could be going for being it's entirely electronic.
Are you using the stock plugins in Live? If so I'd recommend branching out and finding a nice 3rd party synth to learn. You "can" get a decent sound from Live's synths, they're just a lot more difficult to use in my opinion and most other peoples opinion.
>>
>>51802411
Yeah I feel like it doesn't groove enough but I don't know how to make it feel less mechanical.

The synth sounds are all fm8.
>>
>>51802434
Ooooo FM8 is great, I guess if you are quantising too much that will give it that feel. Try turning off the grid and placing your notes that way, I find it helps a lot.

You can turn off the grid by right clicking and at the bottom there is an off option.

>>51802044
This is me btw so if you think i'm shit don't take my advice haha :)
>>
>>51802447
Thanks for the tip.
I listened to your track, the sound quality is really good.
>>
>>51802393
so is a multi band compressor like a volume control for freq?
>>
>>51802462
A multi-band compressor is pretty much 2-3 compressors shoved into one package.

Do you know how compressors work? What they do?
>>
File: Microtonal scales.png (190 KB, 871x928) Image search: [Google]
Microtonal scales.png
190 KB, 871x928
>>51802354
*cents for tuning.

50 cents is a semitone (E to F)
100 cents is a whole tone (C to D)

so microtonal notes would be those 25 cents sharper or flatter than usual.

pic related and
http://www.hinesmusic.com/What_Are_Makams.html
are a good resource for using arabic and turkish modes
>>
>>51802462
It's basically a compressor that works on individual frequency bands rather than the entire signal as one thing. It allows you to compress certain frequencies so yeah in a sense it's allowing you to reduce volume of certain frequencies. Very powerful once you learn to use it properly.
>>
>tfw i probably have carpal tunnel
>left hand is good, right hand struggles to keep up
>takes much longer than necessary to get good takes
>>
>>51802468
>>51802474
just figured out compressors, maybe this week and was weary about jumping into multibands
>>
>>51802494
Compression is a pretty big thing, it can make or break a song so take your time with it. Make sure you fully understand it before you go slapping it on everything!

It may be tedious but you won't regret it.
>>
>>51802494
Work with regular compressors for a while first so you get a good feel for them, then move on to multi-band.

Are you using Live?
>>
Guys help

I'm learning basic theory now to help with composition and I don't know how to do nice polyphony or even what polyphony really means in production terms
>>
>>51802526
Polyphony, or a polyphonic instrument is the opposite of a monophonic instrument.

A monophonic instrument is an instrument that can ONLY PLAY ONE NOTE AT A TIME.

Polyphony is the ability to play more than one note at a time thus chords etc. How many notes you can play at any one time depends on several things, depending on the synth, but one thing they all depend on is the number of "voices".

Higher voice count = more polyphony.

Voice count of 1 = monophonic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugKl8Ov-9-w

Anyone know how to get that weird, pulsing background sound in this track?
Starts about 50 seconds in.
>>
>>51802538
Well put.
>>
>>51802547
sounds like a reversed snare sample to me.
>>
>>51802547
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugKl8Ov-9-w
>>51802560
That guy is totally right, it's just a reversed snare.
>>
>>51802538
>>51802526

But that's wrong. Polyphony is when two or more distinct melodies are running concurrently in a piece. Doesn't need to be from the same instrument.
>>
>>51802538
very well put
>>
>>51802514
i have been using it recently as another volume, if i cant reign in dynamics. pretty much just kick and sometimes bass and synth.

>>51802524
Fl studio
>>
>>51802574
""what polyphony really means in production terms"

I explained only that.
>>
>>51802574
In musical theory you're correct, in production however it's more likely to be talking about instrument polyphony.
>>
>>51802578
Is English your first language? I just wonder because that sentence didn't quite make sense to me, could you try and rephrase please?
>>
>>51802583
Thought you were explaining the concept in general

Anyway it's not like the definition of polyphony changes when you're producing music; I don't really understand what he is asking when he says "in production terms".
>>
Any FLfags online?
I'm now working mostly with the build-in multiband compressor and maximus and I'm wondering if I should stick to them or get another, maybe more powerful multiband compressor. Also any kind of tips are welcome.
>>
>>51802601
sorry, It's 5 am. what i mean is that if the volume knob isn't really helping me or the eq isnt really helping get rid dynamics then i use a compressor
>>
>>51802620
Xfer has some free compressor, its supposed to be similar to abletons compressor , which im guessing is good. i have it, but dont really use it.
>>
>>51802614
As in what polyphony means on a synth, sampler and so on.
>>
>>51802634
Haha, all good mate. Volume and compression are two different things just in case you didn't know.

Compression tames peaks and lowers your dynamic range, volume just lowers everything equally. But yeah a lot of the time adjusting the volume and compressing something can sound similar. It all depends on the sound source.
>>
>>51802648
If they're anything like the Ableton ones they'll be great.
Ableton has great compressors built in.
Also Xfer Serum is a brilliant synth so they seem to know what they're doing.
>>
>>51802538
>>51802574
So what are some examples of polyphony in this thread?
>>
>>51802697
google a virus TI supersaw

best example of polyphany
>>
File: setup.png (337 KB, 1921x1040) Image search: [Google]
setup.png
337 KB, 1921x1040
>>51798605

Been using Renoise for a few months now and I really like it. Been producing Breakcore, and hip-hip for a friend.
>>
>>51802707
looks like that old chiptune daw everyone uses.
>>
>>51802707
Why are you on 2.8?
>>
>>51802712

Possibly. Renoise and things like them are called "Trackers" they pretty much look the same,

>>51802715

Pirated copy from What, not sure if they have the latest update. Planning on buying it when I get money this Christmas.
>>
>>51802707
Renoise is fucking great.
>>
File: BijDd9d.png (110 KB, 330x270) Image search: [Google]
BijDd9d.png
110 KB, 330x270
>tfw after a year of pointless messing around and experimentation you finally start to recognise frequencies by ear, know what kind of compressor release time I'm looking for, how to shape my envelopes etc.
feels fucking great man
>>
https://soundcloud.com/boro-van-hout/sets/stuff

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, but just using Cubase 5 alone is very fun
>>
>>51802697
What kind of polyphony do you want?

Clear examples of "classic" polyphony would be
>>51798752
with the flute, oboe, brass, and piano/harp all playing a different melody
>>51798759
with the trumpet, violin, vocals and piano all having different melodies
>>51798933
is a very clear example of polyphony throughout, especially the ending segment which has like four different melodies interacting (brass fanfare, the strings (and horns and flute? can't tell) doing the recurring melody of the piece, the electric guitar, and the MIDI choir ostinato
>>
>>51802813
Iktfb. A great feel.
>>
>>51802697
2 different definitions (already covered by anons, but posting more detail for clarification)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphony
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphony_and_monophony_in_instruments

Polyphonic melodies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60

Polyphonic synthesized instruments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ore3Avo1s

often in a DAW turning on "poly" will enable a synth to play more than one note at a time.
>>
What are you working on m8s?
>>
>>51803631
Nothing. In a creative rut now. Everything I touch I abandon.
>>
Could I make this synth @6:15, the video gamey one, in sylenth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO9kB_OYOxY

and could anyone show me how, it sounds simple but Idk
>>
>>51803847
Sounds like a low passed square wave, with an LFO assigned to the pitch. I cbf to make it, but the key should be the LFO on the pitch.
>>
>>51803888
I tried this, sounded like shit even with fancy reverb

WHY IS THIS SO HARD IM EXPLODING
>>
>>51803899
Easy.
2 LP Filtered pulse waves, detuned a few cents + little bit of pitch mod via a fast, sine wave lfo.
>>
>>51804014
What rate should the LFO be, I am doing something retarded
>>
>>51804014
>>51803899
A saw wave would work fine as well. Don't know why you're having trouble with it.

Oh yeah. Amp envelope settings = fastest attack, decay and release, full sustain
>>
NVM I got it, it just sounds kinda cheap rn, gonna touch it up
>>
whats a good polyphonic that i can get in the $500 range?
>>
>>51804327
DX7 + Blofeld module
JX8P
>>
>>51804327
I like my Roland SH-201 a lot and Microkorgs are getting pretty popular.
>>
Question

In ableton (9), how do I add time signature changes like I would in sibelius or something? Im trying to write complex melodies, but finding it quite difficult
>>
>>51804729
They were popular, now they're crud.
>>
>>51804743
Just write like you're in free time
>>
>>51804870
Yeah but its quite difficult to do that when your changing from 7/4 to 6/8 every two bars before switching back to 4/4 4/4 2/4
>>
>>51804693
seconding
>>
Does Ableton 9 open projects made in previous version?
>>
>>51805801
Yeh
>>
>>51804883
You can automate time sigs like anything else. You can even change them in session view, by adding them at the end of a scene name, ie: SCENE1 6/8, or whatever.
>>
Is this a good buy?
http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Axiom-AIR-Mini-32/dp/B009SS6A8Q
>>
are there any producers who use linux? what do you use?
>>
>>51806181
I have an mpk mini that sits in my car trunk for tactical non-use. I only paid $20, so $79 seems a bit of a waste for me.

Why not buy something with real keys or good pads, instead of half assing both.
>>
File: 1391148860427.jpg (194 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1391148860427.jpg
194 KB, 640x1136
anyone know what exactly makes the syncopation of the hi hats weirdly out of sync but totally dope?like it's slightly delayed: is it just that or some other effect/delay vst?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdouvPcmEco
Also how do into that synth sound of evian christ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACAOjNWrEro
>>
>>51806243
Bitwig works on linux
>>
>>51806863
sounds like he just stacked two hats one with a bit lower pitch for that first one
>>
Alright /mu/ I know jack shit about producing but I want to get into it.
wat do
>>
>>51809151
I would start out with a demo of FL studio and not bumping threads on page 10
>>
>>51809151
Get a DAW, and midi keyboard, preferably 49 keys. Learn music theory, study music you like, etc etc
>>
>>51809254
what's a good midi keyboard?
>>
>>51798678
>avicci is better than deadmau5
i hope you're trolling because avicci comes no where close to joel in his production.
>>
>>51804693
>DX7 + blofeld module

as in, use the built in FM synth of DX7 as well as using it to control the blofeld?
>>
>>51806863
if it aint got swing, it aint nothin but a thing
>>
>>51810347
Yes
>>
File: 1379803438664.jpg (46 KB, 550x369) Image search: [Google]
1379803438664.jpg
46 KB, 550x369
>tfw bought Antares EFX 3 without realizing it requires an iLok
>mfw researching iLok for the first time
Holy fuck. I still can't believe this shit isn't a joke.
>$45
>needs to be plugged in whenever you want to use the VST because muh piracy
>everyone keeps saying that it always breaks or never works and that their refund policy is nonexistent
I guess that's what I get for actually paying for software for once and supporting developers. Honestly, fuck this shit.
>>
>>51810455
thank you anon
>>
>>51810531
Dx7 has a fantastic keyboard and obviously is an amazing synth. I use one as my main key controller as well.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/mazifin

Would appreciate feedback/tips!
>>
>>51798605
the one thing i find is people need to make their sound and composition different.

sounds so basic, but for fuck sake i've heard the same shit daily in soundcloud threads and crap. Only memorable person off a thread i still love is kootlefoosh and he does really obscure ones.
>>
>>51810593
i like to tell myself that i understand synthesis, but i still usually only make patches using the same shit everytime
>>
>>51810559
yeah, i was thinking about just starting with that because as it stands its actually significantly below my budget, so at least if i end up not wanting to do much hardware synthesis ill at least have a ballin-ass midi controller that can also synthesize
>>
>>51810767
It's fairly difficult to program but honestly it has such a versatile sound and it's really worth it to learn how. Also it's great to throw a dx7 through an analog filter.
>>
>>51810593
Most people here can't compose. They'll just take some muzak sample, slow it down, slather it in reverb, and call it vaporwave. There's no interesting melodies. People don't focus on writing/composing. It's all muh plugins, muh sound design.

That being said, there are some gems here too. I've downloaded /mu/ bandcamp stuff in my collection.
>>
i need some light vst with good sounding grand piano and rhodes in it, the more the better but not too much

>inb4 kontakt - loads half an hour
>>
>>51810843
I was stuck on this for a while

>It's all muh plugins, muh sound design.

Lately I've been just trying to get better at composing by just layering many different simple sounds that work well together. It's actually a lot of fun.
>>
>>51810843
> People don't focus on writing/composing

fucking word. alot of my melodies and chords come out of nowhere. i do try to make up for it with interesting sounds
>>
File: 1373916114580.gif (1001 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1373916114580.gif
1001 KB, 500x500
what are some good vst's that are easily pirateable?
I need to add some more stuff to my vst collection but I don't feel like spending any more money
>>
Just me experimenting with FL

http://soundcloud.com/dj-zohaad/skreamspiration
>>
>>51810891
>nexus 2
>>
File: concept.png (49 KB, 145x145) Image search: [Google]
concept.png
49 KB, 145x145
http://vocaroo.com/i/s180HbiqmSsu
>freak folk
>>
>>51810891
Pianoteq
>>
>>51810957
Pretty much everything Native Instruments makes is easy to find.
>>
>>51806863
Triplets fam.
Simple as 123.
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0NLpmirgc7p

Speaking of polyphony.

Hi.
>>
File: maidenhorn.png (28 KB, 1345x305) Image search: [Google]
maidenhorn.png
28 KB, 1345x305
>>51799128
Alot of the ambient tracks I make with reverbed and timestretched glitches and field recordings end up with horrible DC offsets.
>>
File: mt.jpg (46 KB, 508x140) Image search: [Google]
mt.jpg
46 KB, 508x140
>2014
>not tuning your own scales

>>51802620

multiband compression sounds great in bypass, anything else you should stay far away from

>>51804743

beat time area (ruler above everything in the arrangement window)

right click + add time signature change

>>51810957
plenty of good free ones that won't give you malware until you can decide what to spend money on

synth1, taurus, tyrellN6, xoxo, minimogueVA, DSK, jackdark etc

>>51810891
pianoteq might work
>>
Looking to get some monitors for my desk. I have a 300$ budget.

I went to guitar center and listened to a few and liked these JBL 5 inchers. What should I get? What studio monitors do you guys use?
>>
>>51811471
>minimogue

I love that synth. The gate and arp in it are neato too.

You should also get tforce alpha plus. its a decent sounding trance synth with great presets.
>>
How to make proper UK Garage? I just can't seem to get that oldskool song.
>>
>>51811655

i use tannoy reveal 8ds but yamaha hs8 are right at your budget on amazon and i hear they're good
>>
Current project. I'm most likely going to add vocals to this, so it may sound a little lacking, but you get the idea. Thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/ghostfestival/harmonical-wip
>>
File: feelnazi.jpg (38 KB, 651x663) Image search: [Google]
feelnazi.jpg
38 KB, 651x663
silly question.
what do you speculate Recondite uses for his sounds? he has stated that everything is in the box, but it still sounds like some kind of digital acid, and i have never been able to nail the sound myself. it's been a matter of curiosity to replicate the super rich acid-like pluck just because im truly bewildered as to how he can get such a rich tone. i dont think it's 303 emulators because they are too limited in terms of possible sounds, and i cant pin point anything else
i fucking hate trying to make music everyone has already made something too beautiful for me to compete with
>>
>>51811720
the arp is broken on my minimogue, but i still have fun using it
>>
>>51811768
Probably meant $300 for the pair? If so, the HS8's are for sure out of budget. You might be able to find a pair of the HS5's for that much though? If not those, try Rokit's
>>
>>51811793
Well produced fm or physical modelling.
>>
>>51811110
Pls r8
>>
>>51811884
jesus it's really bad. the intro synth is horrible, your profile pic is really bad, and everything is just doused in too much reverb. this is very bad.
>>
>>51811428
plz rate
>>
File: IMG_20141201_143436.jpg (530 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141201_143436.jpg
530 KB, 1920x2560
Just got my mini amp to power some cheap bookshelf speakers I'm getting. The speakers probably suck, but it is a step up from producing using only the left speaker
>>
>>51812002
its not as bad as you made it out to be, but youre right, its not anything great
>>
File: 51QE8AdhJ7L._SL1000_.jpg (52 KB, 1000x447) Image search: [Google]
51QE8AdhJ7L._SL1000_.jpg
52 KB, 1000x447
Thoughts on the Nektar Impact LX49?
>>
>>51811655
BX5's
>>
>>51812361
i wish i had it
>>
>>51812361

No Live integration? lol
>>
>>51812575
I plan on using it in my DAW, rather than on stage
Can you explain what live integration is?
>>
>>51812645
He's talking about Ableton Live, which is a DAW
>>
What pad controller do you guys use? I want one for sampling/tapping out drum beats/maybe live performance.
>>
i made a beat

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ndP8W2GroJ

r8 m8s
>>
>>51812685
ohhhh gotcha
I'm not an Ableton user so thanks for clearing that up
>>
>>51811471
Tuning your own scales is really only worthwhile if you know what you're doing. Doing it by ear isn't likely to lead anywhere interesting.
>>
>>51811450
jesus christ you have no idea what you're doing
>>
>>51810843
Don't act like "composition" (i.e. melody, harmony) is by definition required good music. Timbre, etc. is just as valid a form of expression.

That said, most amateurs obviously don't put in a lot of effort or think about what they're doing. It's entirely trivial to make the usual soundcloud ambient/drone/noise junk.
>>
>>51811110
Is it supposed to be post-acoustic serialism?
>>
Hi. I'm new to this production thing. I'm only using Audacity and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Does anyone that uses/has used audacity know of any useful plugins for effects? Also, any good places ways to find samples that you're looking for online?
>>
>>51813068
Continuing this: Should I even be looking for samples at this point, or should I just continue experimenting with sounds, training, and other stuff?
>>
>>51813068
You should get an actual DAW. Audacity really limits you. You'll have more effects too. I started out with Mixcraft, I use Ableton now. Most people use Ableton or Fruity Loops. Sample music you like. Freesound.org and musicradar are good places to start with samples.
>>
>>51811880
by physical modelling you mean something like Prism/Spark/Kontour or a 303-filter circuit emulation like the TR-3?
>>
>>51813068
>I'm only using Audacity
You probably should consider using something else. Audacity is pretty crippled in every regard. Even if you want to just use an editor (god knows why), at least pick something with real time, non-destructive effects.
>>
What's the best budget USB microphone interface and microphone?
>>
>>51812697
an akai lpd 8 and a alesis q25

got the akai for like 20$ or something in a sale
>>
>>51813164
analog emulation doesn't count as physical modeling
>>
>>51813164
For the plonky plucks? The first 3.

Maybe point to a specific sound and I can tell you.
>>
>>51813216
I've owned Akai interfaces, m-audio interfaces and focusrite.

Focusrite by a mile are the best for their price range.
The 2i2 is a great little budget interface if you only are looking for 2 in 2 out.

If you want a starter mic you can't go wrong with a Shure SM57.
It depends on what you want to record but dynamics are generally cheaper and are easier to use for someone with poor mic placement technique, they pick up less high frequency stuff.
>>
>>51811428
This is a proper composition.
>>
>>51813241
that was what i thought. thanks for the clarification
>>
>>51813191
Audacity is fine for destructive editing, which is occasionally what I want
>>
File: ayybleton.png (351 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ayybleton.png
351 KB, 1920x1080
>>51813152
>>51813191
I know it's limiting but I'm working with a budget. I tried Ableton, but oddly twice now the crack torrent's that I've used haven't really worked. See pic related. I don't know why, but none of the wounds work. I try dropping them into a slot, and they automatically just go to the display title bar on the bottom, so that's shot. I tried Reaper next and that went nowhere too.
>>
File: Screenshot 2014-12-02 00.37.51.png (708 KB, 4640x1050) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2014-12-02 00.37.51.png
708 KB, 4640x1050
Can I be cool too?

Or is this thread only for bleepbloopmakers?
>>
>>51813383
>I know it's limiting but I'm working with a budget.
It's not like Audacity is the only free software out there. It's just a shitty editor, not a DAW.
>>
>>51813358
Try mixcraft. It doesn't get easier than that, it's a good beginner DAW, and it's pretty powerful for how easy it is to use.
>>
>>51813383
LMAO THAT'S HOW ABLETON WORKS
holy shit lol
press the A key a couple times and you should get sound out of that instance of your little brassinski friend
>>
Hey what's good, just posted this track up yesterday http://youtu.be/SF5-Hq-K44U

Use FL Studi 11, pretty damn proficient, if anyopne has any questions just lemme know cause that's kinda my thing haha
>>
>>51813383
i want pirate reaper to, is there any user i should not download from?
>>
>>51813439
>>51813383
REAPER has a free trial that has no deficit to going over the trial period except for a nag screen.

Pay for it though, shit's cheap and good.
>>
>>51813296
Thanks mang.
I'm looking to record mostly vocals and odd sounds to create samples, but also some instruments like piano, guitar and other odd stuff.

Seeing as I'm just going to have one mic for the time being, should I just go for a solo interface, or is it worth it having a 2i2?
>>
File: 111.jpg (187 KB, 549x665) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
187 KB, 549x665
OFICIAL PRODUCER TIER

>GOD TIER

Dub techno (read: not BC/Deepchord clones)
Techno
Glitch/experimental
Deep House ("deep" as in the meaning of deep house pre-2012, you fucking pleb)

>Good Tier

Classic/tech House
UK Garage/2 Step / Other Britbong Acidy Loopy Pish Posh stuff
"Experimental"
Classic trance

>OK Tier

IDM
Rawk
Minimal

>Pleb Tier

Muh chill FLoops-made jazz/hip hop beats
Any of the above genres made in the most generic/shitty tier
"I just discovered Madlib/Flying Lotus" shit

>Why do you even bother posting your soundcloud you fag (aka "I'm going to record my farts, run them through a few Ableton filters and wa-la! I'm an artist!")

"Noise"
Ambient
Field Recordings
>>
File: 2.png (324 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2.png
324 KB, 1920x1080
>>51813406
Care to name a few?
>>51813408
It's not free though.
>>51813416
I've watched tutorials and this hasn't happened though. I'm just talking about simple drag and drop shit, which through tests I've learned only works for about 5% of the sounds. Sound was supposed to go in the highlighted portion of the timeline, and it didn't.
>>
>>51813524

Nigga use the "Arrangement View"

just go to any "abletoin for beginners tutorial"

PS: Ableton's tutorial is actually really easy to understand
>>
>>51813580
That is the arrangement view. I've seen tutorials and none of them have had this problem.
>>
>>51813463
might as well get the trial. so you can save shit no problem?
>>
>>51813516
>>51813580
how does this sound faggots?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1qQ6tLyrMVd

I've still got a lot of work to do on a lot of sounds. Also >vocaroo in charge of audio quality
>>
>>51813516
>Dub Techno
are andy stott clones ok?
>>
>>51813514
There aren't too many single input interfaces aside from the Apogee range.
Apogee do make some nice stuff too so I guess it's up to you, do you think you'll ever use 2? I went for a 4 input one and now with i had got the 8 input.

a SM57 will do all of that well. Guitar comes out a little nicer with a condenser mic but the only mics in the same price range that are condensers are the mxl mics and they are pure shit.
>>
>>51813524
Try Ardour if you're on Linux or OSX, LMMS if you're on Linux or Windows.

Stuff like Pure Data is free too, but probably not what you're looking for.
>>
>>51813516
i-i actually agree with this...

I mean you're missing a lot of genres but yeah, I agree.
>>
>>51813682
What about the Focusrite Scarlett Solo? Is the $50 worth the upgrade to the 2i2?
>>
>>51813662

it sounds like vocaroo, you might as well play your beats over the phone
>>
>>51813649

oops yeah got it mixed up

Anyway, like I said, Ableton's manual is pretty easy to understand. However, you might simply not like its workflow, so you might have to try other DAWs
>>
>>51813654
Yes. The only trial limitation is the 8 second nag screen every time you start the software. And that's only after the first month.
>>
>>51813741
lol
any other site to upload stuff besides soundcloud?
>>
>>51813719
Oh I wasn't aware of the Solo... If it's the Scarlett range then the pre's themselves are all the same so you're just paying for the second pre.
Are you hoping to record just samples for electronic music use? Or are you hoping to record live musicians?

If you are just sampling/field recording then one input is fine.
If you want to track bands/solo artists I would definitely fork out the extra 50.
>>
>>51813405
Fucking bleepthread.
>>
>>51813701
Thanks. I'd heard of Ardour but didn't have a compatiable. OS. I'll look into LMMS.
>>51813752
Hm. I thought it must've been an obvious thing I'd overlooked but since you're all saying it should work I'll look further into it. I'll read through the manual and their official tutorials tonight.
>>
>>51813682
What do you think is a good entry level condensor mic if not MXL? I'd use it for vocals the vast majority of the time. Maybe a little acoustic guitar.
>>
>>51813663

Andy Stott doesn't produce dub techno. Any clone of anything is wack

>>51813662

You know what you're doing, but the track itself is not too interesting. Keep producing nigga

>>51813715

Glad you agree
>>
>>51813779
>Are you hoping to record just samples for electronic music use? Or are you hoping to record live musicians?
Both honestly. I can play about 4 instruments but I just do it for fun. I produce some synth pop, techno, electro, hip hop and deep house. Really, anything to be creative with.

My real hope is to sing over some of my electro and synth pop tracks since my voice is pretty good. So I guess if that's mostly what I'll do, 2 won't hurt but only 1 is necessary.

Thanks for all the help my dude.
>>
>>51813818
Rode NT1A will do the trick, they're quite cheap.
Otherwise sE Electronics make some good budget condensers.
>>
>>51813580
for things to go into arrangement view, record needs to be enable. or go double click a slot in session view and create a MIDI clip. then carry it over to the arrangement.
>>
>>51813919
Yeah I would go for the 2i2 man. That way you can set up some sweet stereo mic placements and get some nice sounds happening.

Things like piano really shine in stereo.

No worries mate, all the best!
>>
>>51813838
>You know what you're doing, but the track itself is not too interesting. Keep producing nigga
Thanks dude. Composition I can fix with practice and experimenting with different methods, crafting the sound is what I've been working towards.

Speaking of which, what are some good methods for composition with bleep bloops? I've read of many people such as Burial just building a drum track and then start making as many ideas as possible off that one drum track, then he picks the best ones and lets others pick the best ones, then he puts it together into one track.
>>
>>51813930
Thanks m8. I'm glad I saw this thread, some good recs. Mah niggaz
>>
>>51813405
Here's what it sounds like:

https://exelerate.bandcamp.com/track/diver
>>
>tfw using the trial version of the program I like for months because they only use paypal and my credit card is not compatible
pls kill me
>>
when running speaker wire from the speaker to a sub, does it matter which speaker? if i run wire from the left side, will the sub only play left side sub freq?
>>
>>51813985
Have actual ideas.
>>
>>51813516
No.
>>
>>51814006
>>51813405
>https://exelerate.bandcamp.com/track/diver

You are welcome here.
This is quite good heavy-thrash dude.
The lyrics are a bit cliché though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.