[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the BEST Nu-Prog artist... and why is it MUSE?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: MUSE-muse-31743945-1280-1024.jpg (212 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
MUSE-muse-31743945-1280-1024.jpg
212 KB, 1280x1024
What's the BEST Nu-Prog artist... and why is it MUSE?
>>
>>51651340
Because there aren't any others? That would be the only conceivable reason.
>>
File: Oceansize5.jpg (1 MB, 1772x1179) Image search: [Google]
Oceansize5.jpg
1 MB, 1772x1179
>>51651340
Ehm...
>>
>>51651384
See
>>51650848
>>
>>51651385
OP here.
I own an album by them.
Everyone Into Position.
They're pretty cool, but i do love my Muse more.
>>
File: folder.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>51651422
EIP is great, my second favourite by them, now listen to Frames

And check out Karnivool, dredg and Mew
>>
>>51651404
Damn. I need to listen to some of these!
>>
>>51651340
Muse is a 'prog' band that plays primarily in standard time signatures, using average musical skill. So yeah I guess they are the best Nu-Prog band.
>>
>>51651463
I love that one Mew album!
And The Glass Handed Kites.
I haven't heard it in a while though.
I own it, along with the next one they released.
I haven't listened to Karnivool.
I believe I've heard Frames a while ago, but I really forget any of Oceansize's work.... they didn't strike too big of a chord with me.
idk.
>>
>>51651522
Size's stuff took abit of time to grow on me, but once it hit I wa asbsolutely amazed by songwriting and complexity yet beautiful tunes
(FYi they don't have a single song in 4/4)

Shame that Gallifrey guy isn't here now, he's a real prog expert.
>>
>>51651584
>Shame that Gallifrey guy isn't here now, he's a real prog expert.
AYY YO DON'T SPEAK SO SOON

Muse may be one of the most influential, because they were a) early and b) popular, but if you want best, take a pick between Oceansize and Karnivool. Karnivool win for me but I must admit Oceansize are far more consistent.

Mars Volta could have had it but they diverted from post-prog into really weird shit and never really came back.
>>
>>51651584
>(FYi they don't have a single song in 4/4)
Didn't know that!
Not that it matters TOO much.
It's just sorta impressive.
I don't actually notice time sigs. So it doesn't affect my mood.
>>
>>51651677
It's actually really annoying sometimes, there are a few songs when they'll play in 4/4 for a few bars then throw in a skip beat because they want to keep their perfect record.

It also makes their songs kinda predictable, like a bunch of songs on Frames are the same song concepts in different time signatures
>>
File: dtes.jpg (38 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dtes.jpg
38 KB, 300x300
*cough*
>>
Pic related is the only good prog album since 1990
>>
File: folder.jpg (32 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
32 KB, 500x455
>>51651463
Favourite moment from the album? for me string outro of Savant and The sudden tempo change in Sleeping Dogs
(really underrated track)

>>51651830
I've listened to this a bit more now, the last 2 tracks are my favourites by far

you might aso check out these guys even though they are widely regarded as poor man's Oceansize (Steve Durose joined them after Size broke up)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGC9Lji2JLw
>>
>>51651881
Shame that Geoff Tate is a fucking tool
>>
>>51651900
Amplifier aren't as good as Oceansize but I think they have more diversity and are less predictable. Their new album is a nice change of style.

And
>implying Elizabeth isn't song of the year
>>
>>51651950
I like how they went into morequirky and straightforward songwriting with song titles and lyrics (They have songs called OMG, Darth Vader and Named after Rocky FFS) yet they didn't turn into utter stupidity like Slosure in Moscow

also their music videos are funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RblO4B6h2tc
UhdOZm-r8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbCgY1kVQmY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCUhdOZm-r8
>>
OP pls be in london
>>
>>51652060
Completely agree on the point about Closure, although I do feel like I've been outnumbered on that point recently. One guy here a while ago was calling Pink Lemonade "a fully realised piece of art" and I was so confused
>>
>muse
>good

:^)
>>
>>51652249
Haha I browsed the archive and saw that thread, there was some some guy calling you a contrarian for disliking them
Top lel
>>
>>51652302
I fucking know right

Admittedly I did overexaggerate and did the classic "lean on autism when someone accuses you of over-arguing" but it was very strange hearing someone unironically say that DEAR SWAMP ASS is "realised art" and then call me contrarian
>>
you got a lastFM OP??
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.