[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sick of /mu/ not being prog tolerant. Progressive metal/rock/mathcore/jazz-esque
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12
File: The_Contortionist_-_Language.png (567 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
The_Contortionist_-_Language.png
567 KB, 640x640
I'm sick of /mu/ not being prog tolerant.
Progressive metal/rock/mathcore/jazz-esque thread nao.
Pic related, contender for AOTY
>>
HAKEN is also up and coming. Everything an active band should be. The Mountain is phenomenal.
>>
>>50356073
Substructure (Wait for that ending)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2QMFVAvpjM

Fallujah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyRW8FTlp7o
>>
>>50356073
We've had some great prog threads recently, m8. You just won't get any discussion with shitty djent garbage, and for good reason
>>
>>50356129
contortionist=/= djent. Can't poly rhythems with occasional palm mutes join the general ranks or are you a close minded fag
>>
>>50356129
You have obviously not listened to the album. Boundaries have been broken while you sit idle.
>>
Eh, I may as well contribute since it's rare we get prog threads going, even if I really really don't like that shit that OP is on about

What's on your hype list? I'm personally gearing up for the new Chaos Divine early next year, although since the Human Connection is nearly my favourite metal album ever, I'm being a bit wary of disappointment. Single drops next month
>>
File: Hail Spirit Noir.jpg (15 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Hail Spirit Noir.jpg
15 KB, 225x225
Here's some really cool progressive black metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_44BA6qdCw
>>
>>50357258
60's/70's psychedelia + black metal = really fucking good metal band, I'm honestly surprised to see them on /mu/.

But they are kinda irrelevant to the djentiness of the thread.
>>
>>50357347
OP didn't specify what king of prog he wants though.

Hail Spirit Noir had a bit of discussion when their second album released, and when their first album released here.
>>
the first song on the new flying colors is really cool but unfortunately the rest of the album is mediocre at best. I'd post the song but they took it off youtube
>>
I'm looking forward to Tool new album... whenever that drops. Animals as Leaders latest was also good shietz.
>>
>>50356222
what boundaries? nice trips
>>
>>50356092
Seconded,The Mountain is the best modern prog record in ages.
>>
>>50358331
>whenever that drops
If ever.

;_;
>>
File: from parts unkown.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
from parts unkown.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
sup niggers. i'm into a lot of underground metal core bands. every time I die and norma jean are some of my favorites.

am trying to find more bands that are like them. mastodon has some tight shit. same with converge.

anyone got any references?
pic related is every time I dies newest album. it rips ass holes
>>
>>50356073
big prog fan.
I'll check this out later.
>>
prog is such a retarded term
>>
>>50356073
Sorry I don't listen to whiny djent garbage, go listen to some actual prog you fuck.

>inb4 its thinking mans metal

>kiiiiiiill the riiiiiiiich

Almost fell out of my chair laughing when I heard that. Fuck this band.
>>
>>50358830
I almost have to agree with you anon. your conventional Djent style music has been done before and redone too many times the same way.

there are some progressive metal bands that really break the difference between being original and actually progressive rather than rehashing the same chugs over the same fag ass arpeggio licks.

so in other words you're a nigger
>>
anyone have anything similar to this?
>>
>>50358918
or similar to this?
>>
>>50357258
>>50357347
>>50357366
Both their albums were widely posted on /mu/ on release
>>
>>50358712
None of those except Mastodon are prog though. Even Mastodon hasn't been prog for 2 albums now.
>>
>>50358924
when is the new anywhere album gonna come out?

and when is cedric gonna release the zavalaz album?
>>
>>50358964
they are mathcore
>>
>>50358997
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>50359002
dude are you gay? I shouldn't have to google this shit for you.
>>
File: Plini Sithu Aye.jpg (332 KB, 1177x1200) Image search: [Google]
Plini Sithu Aye.jpg
332 KB, 1177x1200
This might just be the greatest song I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8CdgMkEJ6E
>>
How do I into prog?
>>
>>50359002
but really even if wikipedia doesn't lable a band as something doesn't mean they don't have those elements in their songs.

people consider Led Zeppelin to be metal. and yet you and your dad still can't get along. srry anon.
>>
>>50359026
>mastodon
>mathcore
>>
>>50359069
by listening to prog.

Start off old prog rock like King Crimson, and advance from there. There's so many different kinds of prog rock and prog meal it's so fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>50359052
the intro sounds like a mega man song
>>
>>50359088
That's the thing. I love King Crimson, but I have no idea where to go. There is just so much music.
>>
>>50358997
>>50359026
>>50359070
Wait, you don't think it's wrong to label Mastodon mathcore? Sure, I can see an influence, but it sort of feels like labelling TMV 'hard rock' or something
>>
>>50359102
It's hard to pick a direction with prog. If you want to get into prog meal without listening to fedora shit I suggest checking out Sithu Aye (>>50359052) first.
>>
File: a0873143341_10.jpg (793 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a0873143341_10.jpg
793 KB, 1200x1200
>>50359052
I love that track. Also Heart, though it might be uncool to like the popular, catchy track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBztSKccrDE

SO sweet
>>
>>50359102
the mars volta, if you like "hard" shit. highly emotional and kinda spastic at times but usually the songs build up a great tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMUEn6bQ3LQ
>>
>>50359110
nigger what the shit are you trying to say
>>
>>50359142
From the replies, it seemed like someone was calling Mastodon mathcore. surely that part wasn't hard to figure out? Which part do you not understand?
I compared calling mastodon 'mathcore' to calling The Mars Volta 'hard rock'
>>
>>50359160
I didn't know what you meant by your acronym. i'm sure some of their songs contain rock elements though.
>>
>>50359202
>elements
I'm not arguing that, at all. Re-read my post >>50359110

Claiming that they ARE hard rock is a bit silly when they are more prog than hard rock, even if they have a few elements of hard rock. Similar to calling Mastodon mathcore instead of sludge or progressive. It's misleading to call them 'mathcore' even if they are a sludge band with mathcore elements
>>
>>50359138
I remember listening to de-loused and really hating it for whatever reason, but that was a few years ago. The song you posted was actually really good. Might have to listen to it again.
>>
The superior vintage Prog masterpiece enters the thread at this moment.
>>
>>50359293
may be hard to get into. lets take cygnus...vismund cygnus as en example: probably one of my favourite songs from the band. the first dozen times when i listened to it i hated the beginning but the section after the 4 minute mark is what kept me listening to it and you get used to the weirder parts and appreciate the song for what it is as a whole. the way i see it now is that these songs need these weird parts because it makes what comes after so much better.

i really like them for not sounding anything like metal while still having a very modern and hard sound.
>>
File: God tier.jpg (7 KB, 186x186) Image search: [Google]
God tier.jpg
7 KB, 186x186
>>50359322
It was delayed just like the original Genesis reunion is delayed by Collins being crippled.
>>
>>50359252
well I would say mastodon has enough elements to consider them math core. especially in their earlier albums. they just contain a lot of different 'progressive' sounds too. which obviously places them into the progressive genre.

idk that's what makes all these different genres so fucky, especially with metal. there are just too many sub genres and opinions to full label a band as one genre type.

Led Zeppelin is not a metal band though in any way. Black Sabbath was the first metal band all you fuck wits.
>>
File: mountain thrower.jpg (116 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
mountain thrower.jpg
116 KB, 350x350
>>50356073

https://mountainthrower.bandcamp.com/

best thing I have found recently
>>
File: LivingMirrors.jpg (830 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
LivingMirrors.jpg
830 KB, 1500x1500
never seen this talked about on /mu/. it's one of the greatest prog metal albums of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWwYImbglTs
>>
>>50356073
listening to this now, it's not "jazz-esque" at all

there are too many people that think something has a jazz feel or influence when it actually doesn't
>>
>>50359722
but it does though, how can you not feel it?
>>
>>50357258
nigger. the best progressive black metal album is this one. Yes yes i know "best f all time" blah blah just listen to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43mD_jkyP3w
>>
>>50359911
the only thing i can deduce from this album that could be jazz influenced is the fact that they modulate a lot such as in some jazz songs. otherwise, it's just prog metal with some math
>>
>>50360013
>best progressive black metal

But that's not Hail Horror Hail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YZyAXvxKs
>>
>>50360116
Shits great so far.
>>
>>50360147
It gets better and more progressive as it goes on, one of the best albums of the 90s for sure.
>>
>>50358830
>referring to them with them use of a pleb word such as Djent or whiny and not just screemo or hardcore.

any other way you'd like to feel better about yourself today anon?
>>
>>50360116
There's something about this album that feels nostalgaic to me even though I haven't even bothered listening to it until a month ago.

It's so bizarre and strange but has some of the cheesiest, loveable riffs I've ever heard, it's like a 40s horror movie meets cheesy blackened thrash with iron maidenesque riffs. One moment it's a full blown orchestra of dark classical and random spoopy sounds and the next minute it turns into a delicious cheesefest.
>>
>>50360116
what the fuck is this album? if it wasn't for all the random ass fucking sounds then it would be pretty good.
>>
>>50360908
The random noises are kinda the point though, just read the quote here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_Horror_Hail
>>
>>50360908
they tried to translate a horror movie into an album and they think random sounds are spoopy.
>>
>>50360933
yeah well from listening to it I can hear some mind blowing shit that is extremely progressive/ innovative even from just a black metals stand point.

like seriously I am as hipster as it fucking gets when it comes to metal and when I hear those spooky kick ass sounds right before it turns into Beethoven's love orchestra I can only ask myself wtf were they thinking
>>
>>50361109
I read in an interview that the reason why most of their albums are so random is because the frontman really likes horror, and thinks the best way to invoke it is to be random and as non-linear.

Once you start to listen to that album it's not really that random to begin with, it just feels like a cheesy horror movie meets black metal. Even the orchestras sound like they could have been in a black and white horror film.
>>
>>50361205
invoke it in music*
>>
>>50361109
lol idk some of it just seems like a joke.

like at one moment it will be some nice power metal riffs then it will just cut away to like the Reflection solo in Mulan.
>>
>>50361205
I can understand what you mean by how random and non-linear to help invoke the spook.
>>
>>50361307
Album's not really that spooky at all but I can get it too, the best horror movies are the unpredictable ones.
>>
>>50361329
lol yeah of course it's not all that spooky, thanks to the emotional distress that Mulan faces due to the fear of her not being accepted by her family.
>>
File: 780096960493692347_1439801448.jpg (103 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
780096960493692347_1439801448.jpg
103 KB, 640x640
Arise has one of the coolest riffs ever, you know the one with tappy bits. Very Scale the Summit esque
>>
>>50358918
there's nothing like tmv except more tmv.
check out zechs marquise though, it's omar's brother's band, it's instrumental prog with a jammy/jazzy vibe.
btw just discovered deantoni parks plays on You're Dead!
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfj74YEaZnE
Like AAL but good
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFKRmJJFhrg
>>
>>50358918
If you want TMV clones, there are plenty, just that none of them are anywhere near as good

>>50358964
There's still plenty of prog left in the instrumentation, it's just that the structures are more pop

>>50358997
u fkn wot m8?
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.