[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is /mu/ currently at its most narrow-minded state ever? >1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: closed_minded.png (114 KB, 700x524) Image search: [Google]
closed_minded.png
114 KB, 700x524
Is /mu/ currently at its most narrow-minded state ever?

>1 classical thread that last days
>jazz gets less than 20 replies
>non-Western music completely ignored
>huge genres from rhythm and blues to non /bleep/ electronic music except rap never discussed
>multiple constant threads about the same rap subgenre, often multiple same artists
>20 different flavours of rock only separated by an effect pedal
>memes, memes, memes

Do you like any music thats never discussed here? Do you try and watch threads about music that interest you 404 with no replies? What are they?
>>
>>54760738
>>non-Western music completely ignored
Eh, I somewhat agree with this whole post, but /metal/ constantly discusses music from South America, Eastern Europe, and Scandinavia.

>20 different flavours of rock only separated by an effect pedal
They're also separated by vastly differing thematic aims. If you think the only thing separating Brand New and Swans and Burzum and Dead Kennedys is an effects pedal then you're musically illiterate.

I do agree though.I woud particularly like it if /mu/ talked about more neofolk/post-folk.
>>
>>54760738
I really hate when /mu/ treats ITAOTS as a bad album just because it is a meme
And the hate OKC gets because reasons (might be because of popularity? RYM? Idk.)
>>
>>54760803
Note even within your choices its all still different types of (mostly Western) rock?

I'm not even trying to b8 here, I just wish there was more variety.

>>54760828
Not sure how thats really relevant to this thread.
>>
I'd love to discuss 303 acid, as I'm am in that kid of shit, but /mu/ considers it a dead genre.
>>
>>54760844
>Note even within your choices its all still different types of (mostly Western) rock?
Well yeah, it's rock in terms of the historical categorisation in that it's made with guitars and stored as recorded sound, but that says very little about the content of the music.
>>
>>54760844

so what's your vision of a better /mu/? just a few more discussion/sharethreads that are completely different?
>>
I'd post in jazz threads, but I dont know anything about jazz other than miles Davis albums, big steps, and Mingus
>>
>>54760738
>>1 classical thread that last days
most of classical is shit except for pop shit like mozart and bach
>>jazz gets less than 20 replies
nigger music that's literally named after ejaculate? no thanks
>>non-Western music completely ignored
there's a kpop autism general every day
>>/bleep/
kill yourself
>>
>>54760867
>a dead genre.

born in the wrong generation idiots for you

Don't /bleep/ talk about it?

>>54760881
Sure, but you know there are tons of genres that fall well outside the guitar+drums world too.

>>54760888
Variety. Not watching non-rap and non-rock threads 404 without replies. No one seems interested in exploring outside the norm, its a shame and I don't get why, this being a music board and all.
>>
File: jamesbrownisnotamused.png (217 KB, 359x319) Image search: [Google]
jamesbrownisnotamused.png
217 KB, 359x319
>>54760900

>big steps
>>
>>54760916
go back to youtube fantano
>>
>>54760944

what? Its a good album
>>
>>54760977

oh. Fuck. Giant* steps
>>
>>54760918
Indeed. Those who had hear Exuma, love it, vut I never see it in any thread, because it's not rock or white indie (>inb4 p4k), but it's not rap, so nobody shares it; I had to go to muessentials to find about the album; yet...
I don't know, it's kinda sad.
>>
>>54760918
>Sure, but you know there are tons of genres that fall well outside the guitar+drums world too
Yeah certainly. I just wanted to refute the statement you made that all that separated the various rock subs is "an effect pedal."
>>
File: 1342057380762.jpg (221 KB, 787x783) Image search: [Google]
1342057380762.jpg
221 KB, 787x783
>>54760977

didn'tjeh mean giant steps? or is there some big steps album i've never heard of?
>>
File: 1339795129719.jpg (71 KB, 474x595) Image search: [Google]
1339795129719.jpg
71 KB, 474x595
>>54760988

got it
>>
>>54760995
>Exuma

There are lots more too.

>>54761002
I was just being over generalised for the point. I know indie is about >tfwngf, punk is fuck the government and metal all about dragons too.
>>
>>54761090
It was just an example
>>
>>54760746
>>54760746
>>
1. prk/fantano/radio hyped are more well known so will get more replies obviously

2. pleb/patrician bullshit means only certain music is ''accepted''

Sad really but this board is mostly 17 year olds.
>>
>>54760738
Currently im listening to road to nowhere by the talking heads and i guess stuff like this does not really get discussed on /mu/
>>
File: blazin nigger gril.png (4 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
blazin nigger gril.png
4 KB, 180x180
>>54760738
>Do you like any music thats never discussed here?
What are you, some kind of faggot?

What's the point of listening to music if you can't talk to anybody about it?
Do you just like to simmer in your own sauces and feel good about having more obscure tastes than your peers?
>>
>>54761154
Yes, Talking Heads are completely unheard of here. What type of music do they make, they sound really unique and rare, what genre?
>>
I used to see a noise general every time i came here, but there seems to be less recently.
>>
>>54761180
>What's the point of listening to music if you can't talk to anybody about it?
Hence coming to a general music board.

>Do you just like to simmer in your own sauces and feel good about having more obscure tastes than your peers?
No I want to talk about it.
>>
>>54761195
what genre or artist do you want to talk about anon?
>>
>>54760916
you have just created the best copypaste ever
>>
>>54761090
>I was just being over generalised for the point. I know indie is about >tfwngf, punk is fuck the government and metal all about dragons too.
Fucking retard.
>>
>>54761185
I have not tried to confine them to a genre but i guess they are "Rock"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtCittJyr0
>>
I really wish people talked more about prog rock bands that aren't fucking Pink Floyd or King Crimson. I mean those two are good but there's more out there. Personally I love the Moody Blues, Yes and ELP and it's disappointing that I've never seen them mentioned here.
>>
File: 1390246330523.jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1390246330523.jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>>54761223

>I've never seen Yes mentioned here
>>
>>54761200
None here atm, I'd also just like to see the board with more variety when I come here generally.

>>54761202
It was a joke, calm down.

>>54761218
I was being sarcastic, rock and Talking Heads are extremely popular here.

>>54761223
Yes, more rock, thats exactly what I meant with this thread. More rock, /mu/ needs more rock. Maybe some more rap too. Then some more rock, and rap.
>>
>>54761195
>this

It kinda makes you feel special, but you're already in a closed circle, thar being /mu/

I see no use in knowing good music and not sharing or saying you like music you don't really like

Albums that are obscure out of this circle are pretty well known here, so what is the reason of hiding it? Yeah, you might get ridiculized by being called 'pleb' or some shit like that, but, so what? The pleb/patrician thing is just a meme
>>
/mu/ is literally too fast to have good threads. It's physiologically impossible. It may be shitting where we eat but it's necessary to shitpost memes into /classical/ to keep it afloat. This board isn't like /po/ where it can exist forever until it hits the bump limit.

If we ever want it to be good with thought out replies longer than 1 sentence then every one of us who cares has to fight the teenage menace. Riddle me this: have you ever encountered a kfapper outside of their "containment thread?" Yes, right? By that fact alone the only conclusion is that /kpg/ is not in reality a containment thread but a tick slowly seeping disease into the bloodstream of /mu/ because we won't squish it. It's our fault for not fighting as hard as we can until the scourge of popfags, p4k readers, memesters and other blights are extinguished.

Why do popfags need to discuss pop on a nihongo cheaply-animated-adaptations-of-light-novels bulletin board system webpage? Why can't they do it on reddit, Facebook, or the comment section of Youtube? They have no right to be here in this site for niche interests.
>>
>>54761245
I'm not saying it needs more rock, I'm saying people need to chill the fuck out about Crimson and Floyd and acknowledge there are other great prog bands out. Everyone already knows Floyd are good and KC is almost as big of a meme as ITAOTS at this point, it's time to fucking move on.
>>
File: pissed off mega drive.gif (1 MB, 265x272) Image search: [Google]
pissed off mega drive.gif
1 MB, 265x272
I'm kinda glad /mu/ is so predictable and boring that I can wander on here without walking away with 50 new recs everyday.

On the other hand, whenever I want to talk about non-meme music, my threads 404 without any posts.
I just want to discuss vocaloid every once in a while, holy shit.
And don't direct me to the daily Mikgazer thread.
I hate vocagaze. It's not proper shoegaze, and it's not proper vocaloid music.
>>
>>54761245
Tfw your sarcasm undetected even when you use air quote
>>
>>54761292
I get your point and don't disagree.
>>
>>54761243
They're legitimately good tho. Fragile was a 8.5/10 album at least
>>
And after all this faggotry people hate on meal and kpop fags
>>
>>54761333

I never said they werent

But I see Yes threads all the time
>>
>>54761299
If you can tolerate being in the presence of mentally and emotionally crippled people can't you read informative discussion on /jp/?
>>
>>54761361
I've never seen one, but then I don't come here very often any more. I started a Bowie thread earlier today but I've never seen Yes.
>>
>>54761369
/jp/ is touhou the board.

I also can't stand being there for any amount of time, it's thoroughly depressing.
I can almost imagine everyone being a real introvert neet teetering on the brink of suicide, all they do all day is post 2hu memes and fantasize about scraping together their autismbux to go to the holy land of japan.
>>
>>54761405
/jp/ was /mlp/ before /mlp/ was /mlp/.
>>
>>54760867
the /bleep/ threads talk about shit like acid 24/7
>>
>>54760738

yes, its just endless fucking memes all day these days. dont get me wrong its funny, but its the same shit artists everyday
>>
File: 1418324374326.jpg (25 KB, 623x450) Image search: [Google]
1418324374326.jpg
25 KB, 623x450
>go to /mu/
>quickly type bleep into catalogue to get to the thread
>accidentally click this thread thinking it's /bleep/
>mfw there's a thread on /mu/ discussing /bleep/ threads

reminder, that /bleep/ is its own board and has nothing to do with the /mu/ board ok thank u
>>
No one in /mu/ seems to be really into industrial and every time I share a nice find, no one pays attention. I've given up. Especially the traditional industrial elitists ruined the will to share my finds with their constant bitching.
>>
>>54762961
Well, electro-industrial (and industrial metal and all the other offshoots) is mostly shit and really should have a different name because it has almost nothing in common with industrial music.
>>
>>54762900
except its located within /mu/. fuckin idiot
>>
>>54763100
no it isn't, you fucking melon
>>
>>54763114
its a thread, not a board. fuck off
>>
>>54763120
you are wrong
>>
>1 classical thread that last days
most of classical is shit except for pop shit like mozart and bach
>jazz gets less than 20 replies
nigger music that's literally named after ejaculate? no thanks
>non-Western music completely ignored
there's a kpop autism general every day
>/bleep/
kill yourself
>>
>>54762998
I swear, never before have I seen a scene so dumb, no one is able to identify fundamentally entirely different genres. I only say industrial as an umbrella genre nowadays since it's easier for everyone to understand. I mostly listen to electro-industrial anyway, because it's like the only derivative of EBM that isn't the same shit over and over and isn't afraid to experiment. Even then, most "EBM" I hear nowadays sounds like uninteresting shit. Some people need to take their nostalgia glasses off or get their heads out of their asses.

I'd love to play industrial, but the stuff is too inaccessible for the clubs. So I stick to electro-industrial and dark electronic dance music in general. I've even got myself a position at a podcasting website to promote the stuff I like.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.