[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vaporwave General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 9
File: cover.jpg (116 KB, 739x719) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
116 KB, 739x719
no vapor thread? no. vapor thread.
>>
>>48555459
Does anyone want to discuss the accelerationist, anti-capitalist, post-modern/metamodernist, or nostalgia-critical ideologies of vaporwave?
>>
>>48555500
yes. speak.
>>
>>48555500
poopy
>>
>>48555569
Also, how do you think vaporwave compares to the punk scene?
>>
>>48555500
Are vaporwave artists really that ideological?
As a form of art it seems more compulsive and intuitive than cerebral to me.
>>
>>48555649
The social/political critique, the fact it rose from the underground (in this case obscure corners of the internet), attracts a lot of younger, anti-conformist people, and has its own unique aesthetics. It pretty much is the punk of the internet era.
>>
>>48555673
What do you think that says about our zeitgeist?
>>
>>48555702
Do you think the relative ease with which vaporwave can be created helps or hinders?
>>
http://soundcpu.bandcamp.com/album/safe
its f-f-free today
>>
>>48555459
fuck off timid you worthless cunt. sage
>>
>>48555825
I think in most cases it's helped the genre, just as the relative ease of making punk music helped it (basic song structure, simple chords, you don't have to be a great singer), because it allows anyone to contribute to it, and bring their own unique ideas in, their own source material, new production techniques, etc., that help broaden the genre. Like, it pretty much started off with just chopped up, slowed down pop music, but now you've got video game soundtracks, television soundtracks, crazy backwards shit, etc.
>>
>>48555860
no, I used that image to get angry faggots like you here to bump the thread and force discussion.
>>
>>48555769
Dunno. Maybe something like: "Nobody has anything to say and they're saying it in the mosty lazy way possible?"

It worries me that vaporwave is supposed to be the modern equivalent of punk.
I believe the genre is going to be assimilated and blurred with popular culture until it's crushed into air.
>>
>>48556123
thus the 'vapor'
>>
>>48556123
In what ways do you think it will be co-opted by the interests of ruling class interests?
>>
>>48555948
Sage doesn't bump threads, newfag

sage ;^)
>>
>>48555927
Do you think American Psycho c/w/sh-ould be adapted to a vaporwave album or would that be too "on the nose"?
>>
>>48556195
No, I think it would acceptable.
>>
>>48556193
Are you proud that you've wasted more time out of your life on /mu/ than I have?
>>
>>48556221
Also, on the topic of punk, should punk songs be sampled or would that be considered appropriation?

What are the ethical considerations of the vaporwave genre?
>>
>>48556195
Woah, American Psycho vapor. Sounds awesome. What about it would be too "on the nose"? I'm not the most educated on the vapor ideology other than it's a critique of heavy capitalism
>>
>>48556141
makes sense i guess
what a brave new world of music
>>
>>48556245
>wasted
No, I'm proud that I spend my time productively discussing music instead of trying and failing to force my broporwave garabe down everyone's throats
>>
>>48556262
I think literally everything can be used in vaporwave, just how rock and roll in the 50s was guitar/bass/drums, and that was how it traditionally was, but then in the 60s, bands incorporated a much wider range of instrumentation.
>>
>>48556309
who's forcing their broperwave garbage down anyone's throats here? you seem very angry. everyone else is having civil discussion except you. has something happened in your life that has caused you to feel so bitter today?
>>
>>48556289
>What about it would be too "on the nose"?

Well, American Psycho is about the superficiality, corruption, and violence inherent in capitalist society, particularly during the 1980s, so it seems almost too obvious to use.
>>
>>48556364
Ohhh. That's a good point. If that album was made, it would have to be done very well. It seems like it would be a genre magnum opus if done correctly
>>
>>48556294
>brave new world

Now, THAT would be a great inspiration for future vaporwave projects.

>>48556313
What about samples in the vein of Peter Soto's "Buyer's Market"? Would that cross the line?
>>
>>48556364
I too actually think it would be quite interesting. someone get on it.
>>
>>48556347
just go to bed timid you're not wanted here
>>
>>48556392
And with it vaporwave would die...

to be replaced with what...?
>>
>>48556407
It would be an interesting concept to work with, and would definitely sound a lot darker than most of what's out there, but why not?
>>
>>48556347
You are. You make the same canned /b/tard responses everytime someone calls you out
>>
>>48556428
i hope poor timid orpheus doesn't come here and have to see how you talk about his poor soul
>>
>>48556438
Sadwave, a reaction to the Sadboys movement and the glorification and appropriation of self-harm on Tumblr that aims to mock the entire aesthetic of Tumblr (obsession with vintage, overwrought feminism, aforementioned self-harm issues, and television and movie fandoms) by taking it to extreme levels
>>
>>48556449
What direction(s) would you like to see vaporwave move in/toward?
>>
>>48556496
you keep bumping this thread, so i guess i did pick the right picture to post. how stupid do you feel?
>>
>>48556510
Could you elaborate?
>>
>>48556522
anything but that drake and josh or hey arnold shit. it would be cool to see some more heavy, beat driven stuff.
>>
>>48556158
>>48556158
Not sure I get what you're saying, not a native speaker.

The ideologies of the genre are based on having no actual content. It's regurgitation.
A "vaporwave influence" would be a great excuse for producers and artists to make pop music even more flat and sterile.
I don't think the ideology of embracing emptiness instead of rebelling against it can be very healthy for music. As good an outlet for passive agression it may be.

As an aesthetic though I thing this shit will thrive.
>>
>>48556564
Honestly, I liked the idea of the album but I didn't watch those shows so it had no nostalgia value for me.
>>
>>48556522
I think there is great potential for the general aesthetic to be applied to rock music and shoegaze-styles.
>>
>>48556624
I mean, in what ways will that be used to serve the interests of the powerful?
>>
>>48556553
So if vaporwave takes the pop music and throwaway music of the 1980s and combines it with a visual aesthetic of the 1990s computer boom, Sadwave would take the 2010s 'indie rock' music that is so popular among teenagers on the internet (Arctic Monkeys, Wavves, Vampire Weekend, Imagine Dragons, etc) and use that as the musical basis. Theme wise, it would critique the way Tumblr and other places like it on the internet depict sadness and depression and self-harm as something that is chic. Visually, it would probably be an overdone version of the sort of vintage 50s aesthetic used by people such as Lana Del Rey. Honestly, she would probably be a big part of it considering her music is part of the fuel in the 'sadness is cool' fire. Hope that makes sense
>>
>>48556534
>sage doesn't bump threads, newfag
how stupid do you feel?
>>
>>48556656
"Embrace your emptiness!"
"Be apathetic!"
"Use your agression to hate yourself more!"
>>
>>48556672
Mix it with old-school goth and you've got a stew going.
>>
>>48556689
you think i'm timid fucking orpheus. how stupid do you feel?
>>
>>48556707
That was another idea I had in mind. I'm gonna look into this.
>>
>>48556630
yeah, that's pretty much it for me. It just sounded like cheese imo, but i can understand why it would have appeal to people that have watched those shows.
>>
>>48556696
So, here's a little brain-tickler:

Do you think amateur vaporwave artists are accidentally contributing to a culture that will make this true/acceptable?
>>
>>48556742
Do you remember an old CGI cartoon called Reboot?
>>
>>48556696
[spoiler]"Let us wage our wars while you suck on your thumb while listening to Yung Lean"[/spoiler]
>>
>>48556776
YES. with the fucking green people and the dog!!!! yesssssssss
>>
>>48556718
You are. Only you would be stupid and butthurt enough to keep arguing after being called out. how stupid do you feel?
>>
>>48556932
nah, it's just entertaining to watch how rattled you are. i'm indifferent to timid orpheus, i couldn't care less, but i knew it'd get a reaction out of you.
>>
>>48556841
Do you think that would make a good album?

>>48556815
Do you think campy/ironic/meme media has gone too far to the point of being counterproductive?

Other questions for everyone:

What relation does vaporwave have to cyberpunk media and philosophy? To trans/post-humanism?
>>
>>48556748
I think vaporwave artists are a sign of this culture already enveloping us.
It is acceptable to be a fucking sheep.
This wave of artists in the genre are concious enough of the ideology. What about the idiots that are going to imitate this glorious musical achievement 20 years from now?

Do you have an opinion?
Or are you just messing with me, dick-in-hand?
>>
>>48557043
I can't even remember the soundtrack to it, but like the hey arnald shit, it would be pretty niche. i wouldnt be against it though.
>>
Another question for everyone:

Do you think vaporwave can legitimately challenge mainstream culture or will it just lead to infantilization?
>>
>>48557116
I don't think enough people know what vaporwave is. I have never met a person irl who knew what it was unless I've told them. The only people I know who know vapor are here; this is where I learned about it.
>>
>>48557080
Why not both?
>>
>>48557116
I doubt it'll ever get that far. It might (and probably has) influenced some mainstream music, but in terms of making an impact on popular culture, nah.
>>
>>48556981
Sure thing timid, you sure fooled me. I totally believe you now ;^)
>>
>>48557159
Do you think vaporwave should move away from ironic mockery of Muzak and toward a more sincere expression of (whatever)?

Or would that be too saccharine?
>>
OP here. we've gone over 60 posts now with no self-promoting. good job. keep it up.
>>
>>48557214
I think like any legitimate genre, it should branch out into incorporating all sorts of styles, or, like many have said, it will fade away.
>>
An interesting reaction against an alienating market culture that exists in N.A

However, I don't see any critical break in method or technology to really set it apart in a deep way. Maybe if it included experimental technology or appropriated some avant guard contemporary philosophy it'd be more than a music niche; anti-corporate music and art genres has existed for decades.

The only future I can see for vapour wave is a lady gaga reference, maybe
>>
>>48557214
Juxtaposing the non-expression of Vaporwave with sincere outburst of emotion would make for greatness.
>>
>>48557282
Do you think someone should do a project or series of projects specifically addressing the issue of the transitory nature and death of the genre?
>>
>>48557335
How about a transgressive album intermingling samples of the last words of death row inmates and inspirational quotes from children with cancer?

It could oscillate between mocking our culture's superficial sentimentality and to a genuine acknowledgement of the sadness of death.
>>
>>48557343
>>48557343
If it's someone's greatest wish to come off as a navelgazing faglord, sure. A concept thing like that wouldn't make for a very compelling work of art I think.
>>
>>48557343
That would be cool. vektroid should create a new, obscure alias, and make something that intentionally sounds as repetitive and drawn out as possible, like twenty minute tracks of the exact same thing looped, and then wait for everyone to call her out on her crappy broperwave, before revealing herself to the world.
>>
>>48557214
I would like to see it appropriate fluxus destruction techniques to better illustrate market-dystopia
>>
>>48557435
I like philosophy, so I'm all about the navelgazing.
>>
>>48557480
Could you elaborate? I've seen the term "fluxus" but I don't remember what it means. Also, could you explain what you mean by "market dystopia"?
>>
>>48557563
market dystopia - market crash
>>
>>48557563
Fluxus was an atonal music genre that came together immediately after world war 2. It was often literally the sound of destruction

Market dystopia- Alienation people feel in an economy focused social system ( money comes before people)
>>
>>48557621
Yes, that would be interesting!

Someone get on that.
>>
>>48557480
The music videos could feature clips from Chinese sweatshops and the luxurious interiors of multi-million dollar mansions.
>>
File: 1404366441579.jpg (55 KB, 391x391) Image search: [Google]
1404366441579.jpg
55 KB, 391x391
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9OwDCN-PnQ
http://businesscasual87.bandcamp.com/album/bounty
>>
>>48557519
wouldn't add anything new to the genre tho

>>48557425
Original content, raw sounds incorporated into sterile, cynical soundscapes.

Yung Lean - Awkward raps with rough edges autotuned and drowned in syrupy vapor-beats
>>
>>48557665

Fluxus manifesto applies to vapourwave very well, written in 1950
>>
File: Gmaciunas-manifesto[1].jpg (230 KB, 466x767) Image search: [Google]
Gmaciunas-manifesto[1].jpg
230 KB, 466x767
>>48557757
fucked up the file
>>
>>48557757
I find that most avant garde artists have lots of prescient ideas.
>>
>>48557825
The greatest art is reflexive and prescient
>>
>>48557732
How about we invert that: the sterile soundscapes are the authentic expression, while the raw sounds are cynical? It would invite the listener to actually pay attention to the lyrics and realize that manipulation can happen in any style or genre.
>>
>>48557875
Do you think vaporwave could fuse the concepts of 'pataphysics and postmodern hyperreality?
>>
>>48557875
I should expand, it acts a cultural observation tool. like a law of science, it can be used to make future predictions, the best example being warhol for contemporary culture
>>
>>48557786
> 5. State of being liquid through heat; Fusion. Rare.
> of being liquid through heat
> Fusion

> Rare
>>
>>48557956
Loaded question: Do you think Warhol was a sell-out?
>>
>>48557916
ha!
>>
>>48557942
Is varpourwave hyperreal? Yes
I'm not familiar with pataphysics
>>
>>48558036
His art was literally selling, he predicted the future of the art market and how people responded to celebrity, he did youtube before youtube

Hell yeah he was a sellout, that was the whole point of warhol as an artist
>>
Why is the type of music sampled by vaporwave so hard to reproduce? I've been trying to make something non-sampled and it just doesn't feel the same
>>
>>48558055
We could probably poke fun at Michael Cera and the "quirky" teen movies.

Speaking of quirky, what does everyone think of post-post-modernism/metamodernism/digimodernism/transmodernism/remodernism or whatever we are calling the upcoming trends in culture?
>>48558081

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Pataphysics
>>
>>48558129
I have no clue. Could you expand on your troubles?
>>
>>48558160
I don't even know where to start... The instrumentation isn't that hard to imitate, but it's something about the chord structure and layering that I can't seem to match, and if I come close it just doesn't feel right, it just sounds spacey and weird as opposed to 80s/90ish
>>
>>48558129
probably because that shit is from the golden age of the record industry
they spent fucktons of time and money getting these sounds
>>
>>48558222
Could you post some of it? I'd like to hear it even if it isn't proper vaporwave.
>>
>>48558222
artistic intent?
>>
>>48558349
Do what you need to do.

Also, what do you think of the culture-jamming aspect of vaporwave?
>>
>>48558426
culture jamming is the purpose of the genre
>>
>>48558451
I agree, but some like it mostly for the aesthetic.

Open question: how do you judge vaporwave?
>>
>>48558483
An interesting genre with a lot of potential
>>
>>48558349
Maybe you are focusing too hard on creating something "meaningless".
Muzak serves a certain purpose, it's not just random background noise.
Don't deconstruct while arranging the source material for your Vaporwave destruction.
>>
>>48558483
Valuable aesthetic. Self-defeating ideology.
>>
>>48558426
To be honest, I haven't really put that much thought on the cultural backlash behind the ideology, oddly enough. Personally, I find the personal aspect more interesting, the fact that people (myself included I suppose) find drowning themselves in the waste-waters of a capitalistic dystopia is really interesting to me, I mean sure you could say that some people like it ironically, but there's something about this genre that feels good and I don't think it should.

Also, now that I listen to it, what I'm making isn't even close to vaporwave/elevator music
>>
>>48558129
I have been trying to replicate the sound as well not getting any luck either. You said the instrumentation isn't hard to imitate what assuming your using soft ware what are you using?
>>
>>48558572
how is it self defeating?
>>
>>48558526
I meant, what criteria do you use to determine whether a track is good vaporwave?

Captcha: uncommonly burnspe
>>
>>48558572
I almost think the opposite: the aesthetic is garbage and only serves to underscore the ideology.
>>
>>48558679
Just fl studio, but I suppose it's only the synths and keyboards that are easy to reproduce. For stuff like bass or sax, I've got nothing.

Still, I think being able to make non-sampled based vaporwave would be awesome
>>
>>48558576
>but there's something about this genre that feels good and I don't think it should.

Could you elaborate on this? I think this has potential for a good discussion.
>>
>>48558748
what synths?
>>
Gotta go to bed. How to I keep track of any continuing discussion?
>>
>>48558877
You'll have to use RebeccaBlackTech.
>>
digit fortune is so good im crying... http://digitalfortune.bandcamp.com/releases
>>
>>48558877
We'll continue nightly talks
>>
>>48558938
good idea
sleep scheudle is fucked anyways
6 am here
>>
>>48558938
Would anyone like to play some vaporwave on Plug DJ?
>>
>>48558770
I am really into things that are eerie. When I first heard vaporwave, it was mac plus and at first me and my friends were just laughing and taking it as a big hipster joke. But then I sat down and listened to more stuff and looking at the imagery associated. For example, in floral shoppe's cover, the city that's shown, it feels so distant and void of life, but it also makes me picture going building to building, examining old computers running windows 95 that have been left on showing what the user was last doing, roman statues lining the street, etc. I want to pick up the residual spirit of the times of a city that died due to its own vapidness, sorry if that's kind of indirect.

I guess it's just a curiosity thing

>>48558836
Honestly, anything that sounds kind of cheesy will work. Sytrus ones in particular seem to work fairly well, two that I've used are called saw to square and razor lead in synth string.
>>
>>48559004
That sounds pretty cool. I think the imagery of Floral Shoppe's cover is a postmodern take on high/classical Art.
>>
>>48559072
I could definitely see that. I like the way you look at stuff anon.
>>
>>48559004
you should listen to pic related if you like eerie soundscapes.
>>
>>48559278
>tfw no pic
>>
Okay, I don't know if the other guy trying to make original vaporwave material is still in here, but I'm learning that 9, 11 and 13 chords are the way to go.
>>
>>48559331
i meant OP
>>
Has anyone been crass enough to make a September 11th vaporwave album yet?

Also, isn't vaporwave just the musical equivalent of a YoutubePoop?
>>
>>48559181
Thanks. This is one of the few opportunities I have to discuss things I enjoy.
>>
>>48559528
Okay, I started over and made something I think sounds more like it, did you still want to hear it?
>>
>>48559663
Sure. :D
>>
>>48559663
i do
>>
>>48559456
You're thinking of plunderphonics in general. Vaporwave would be like a set of YTPs dedicated solely to 80s Chinese cartoons put in slow motion.
>>
>>48559700
Someone needs to make vaporwave of field recordings.
>>
>>48559687
>>48559696
http://clyp.it/3ljzsmut

It's just a short loop for now, I just wanted to make it to see if the idea was right
>>
>>48559824
field recordings?
>>
>>48559824
>>48559860
>field recordings

Here we go
>>
>>48559835
sounds like youre on the right track
>>
>>48559860
>http://clyp.it/3ljzsmut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_recordings
>>
>>48559835
>>48559877
Agreed.
>>
>>48560089
never.
>>
>>48560094
Why not?
>>
>>48560106
1) the copyrights to the samples 2) the mainstream will never catch on to vaporwave
>>
>>48560142
>the copyrights to the samples

What is everyone's opinion on copyright laws?
>>
>>48560186
It's fine if you're just fucking around on bandcamp and soundcloud, because it's so indie, whoever owns the rights will never know, but radio stations can't do that shit.
>>
>>48560142
Why will it never catch on?
>>
I wanna mae some vapor wave, but I dont have any gear..I want to get back into music.
>>
>>48560246
Could you ever imagine a bunch of rich, white, 13 year old american girls buying untitled track #1 off floral shoppe on itunes?
>>
>>48560276
All you need is audacity and a dream. just look at timid orpheus, it worked out great for him.
>>
>>48560287
Yes, yes I could. The ironing would be delicious.
>>
I could see vapourwave being referenced by a popular musician
>>
>>48560354
key word, referenced*. it might also get a mention on family guy one day, but that's about it.
>>
>>48560370
I could see vapourwave becoming a cultural/art movement that would see its way into pop culture in a few short years
>>
>>48560186
copyright laws, in their current state (i.e., developed to protect the interests and profits of big companies) suck a fat cock, and deserve to be broken as much as possible. creativity is the yard, and copyright is the fence.
>>
>>48560415
How do you think it would affect visual art?
>>
>>48560415
James Ferraro and Daniel Lopatin would be like the founders, Vektroid would be like The Beatles of the genre, and timid orpheous would be the Kanye everyone loves to hate.
>>
>>48560486
I agree but what can be done?
>>
>>48560505
Who is going to make the vaporwave equivalent of Trout Mask Replica or Buyer's Market?
>>
>>48560525
i'd say timid orpheus just because it's weird and incoherent, but there isn't enough backwards shit in TMR.
>>
>>48556672
honestly the "sad" music genre is from what I have seen from being on soundcloud is now moving toward more of a Blink 182/ pop punk atmosphere. Which makes sense considering the lyrics and overall feel of both genres are very similar. Some people are even going so far as to sample those bands from that era.
>>
>>48560550
When I was...
>>
>>48556748
that seemed to be his point

lol that was
>>
>>48560591
Then what can be done to combat it?
>>
>>48560415
I have a sense that it's happening right now, or very shortly, but I think its going in a way similar to how dubstep transformed as it became mainstream. I think the music in the near future that will be widely identified as Vaporwave will be very different from what it was based on. I think that's already happening with stuff like Blank Banshee (don't get me wrong, I love his stuff, but I would not group it will typical vaporwave)
>>
>>48558129
Because in order to make something that sounds almost exactly like that you would need to produce music exactly like what they were making in that time period. Its not impossible but a lot of that music was being pushed out fast in nice studios. It really depends on the type of "vapor" youre talking about, however most people just pitch down funk/soul music.
>>
>>48559824
nigga
>>
>>48560525
you could say that buyers market doesn't need a "vapor" edition.
>>
>>48560575
what?
>>
>>48560489
appropriation of anti-market motifs
>>
>>48560807
No, I'm rather honkyish.
>>
Someone should make a documentary about how timid orpheus pissed off everyone associated with an entire genre of music in under a month, and lived to self-promote another day.
>>
>>48560878
A young boy...
>>
>>48560897
Just like punk!
>>
Is it just the same people every day asking the same entry-level questions and having the same entry-level discussions about vaporwave for the past couple weeks? Cause the music has left.
>>
>>48561068
it can and should be more intelligent than punk, and create something essentially its own, we live in a period of technological excess, we have more than punk had and should be able to create more
>>
>>48560617
Nothing really, I'm sure the aesthetic will live on to something bigger and it will musically influence people though. This has happened to so many genres over the years. I can definitely understand the association to punk music. I don't really agree with a lot of what people are saying about the anti-capitalist/acceleration ideals of the genre (I personally think its a bit of an over analysis) but can also understand the association as well. I personally think it just started with oneohtrix and thats where most of those ideals about the genre came from. It then moved into more of the 80's/70s chopped and screwed funk and soul. It then intermingled when that internet club and other shit came out.
>>
>>48561117
I'm glad there's no one here shoving their garbage down our throats.
>>
>>48561117
Maybe. What would you prefer to discuss?
>>
>>48560415
This has clearly already started
>>
>>48561139
Scenes that exist
>>
>>48560415
You can already see hints of it. The same people who design the theme from a music album and the tour that will go with it and probably on tumblr searching for new things
>>
>>48561178
This ain't a scene; it's a god damned arms race!
>>
>>48561217
Glitch art, post-internet art, and generative art are getting big on Tumblr.
>>
>>48560287
I don't think you're taking into account how many kids wants to be unique little snowflakes, even though they all end up doing the same shit.
>>
>>48562296
Why does that happen though?
>>
>>48562330
Probably a nice dose of existential crisis, though I'm way out of my depth to talk about that; I feel like society nowadays is terrified to be "ordinary."

Also, I wanted to ask a question so I can clarify a theory I have, what is nightcore and is it similiar to vaporwave?
>>
>>48562410
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/nightcore
>>
>>48562555
Ahhhh, it wasn't what I thought it was, but the theory I had was that I think that vaporwave actually will take off, but only as an aspect of a greater movement. I've noticed that the 80's and 90's seem to be making a resurgence as a whole and I think vaporwave is right up the alley of the movement, albeit a weird version of the idea, but still. A couple of years ago on /v/, I feel like I saw the phrase neo-80s everyday. Of course I could just be a bias as I grew up in the wake of the 80's and it's really just my generation rediscovering what's already been.

Does anyone else have any evidence of a neo 80/90s movement? Or do they think the idea is plausible?
>>
god damn it, why can't you fucks just leave these threads alone, maybe I should start going into every post-punk or what ever thread and claim that everyone that listen to it are just ironic edgy edgesters, in fact this could be done with any genre, stfu
>>
>>48560212
I play vaporwave on my radio show all the time.

...shit
>>
>>48562650
Seapunk was very 1990s. It was like Lisa Frank exploded into AOL.
>>
>>48562701
How big is your show? Like is it just a college station or what?
>>
>>48562683
through autism and persistence i will show you nerds it's not cool to like vaporwave!
>>
>>48562650
what the christ are you talking about? there already has been a new 80s movement. Also vaporwave took off a while ago, there were quite a few synthpop bands incorporating elements of it into their music in early 2013
also
>on /v/
well that explains everything
>>
>>48562729
yeah it's just a tiny college station. Since we're label as an educational station, I don't *think* there'd be anything wrong, but I've never actually stopped to think about the legal implications of playing vaporwave/plunderphonics on a radio show
>>
>>48562763
Meeeeh, you should be fine
>>
>>48562729
not that guy, but I've heard vaporwave on sirus more than once. The one that sticks out in my mind was hearing Nobody's Here from the eccojams tape.
>>
>>48562759
>a few synthpop bands
>movement
>also a movement happens quickly, in just a couple of years and leaves just as quick

But no that's right, you can tell what's going to be culturally important in almost no time at all. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>48562796
also, I'll add, that I'm pretty sure the stations only have to pay royalties to the songs that are being sampled, which they are already doing in the first place if it's big network like the satalite radio companies. It's the same as if they were to do a live mix or something.
>>
>>48562827
vaporwave has been around since late 2010...
>>
>>48562912
And you can't tell if something is truly a "movement" in even 4 years. Most music can't be discerned as culturally important in terms of history until like 50 years. Just because something is the shit right now or was just a few years ago doesn't mean it's a movement, it has to be remembered a long time down the line.
>>
>>48562827
quite a few is not the same as a few... good job at reading things how you want to support your stupid statement that didn't even make sense though.
>>
>>48562755
why would we care if it's cool to like it or not? it's music made by anti-social nerds that are obsessed with 80s imagery. Who the fuck would think something like that would have anything to do with being cool in the first place?
>>
>>48562978
I'm the coolest, heppest cat this side of the tracks, daddy-o.
>>
>>48562939
it's not the 90s anymore, the internet age has happened, things have changed, things happen much much quicker than they used to, especially when it comes to things like music.
>>
>>48562996
did you think this was actually funny or are you just shitposting?
>>
>>48563033
Or?
>>
Anyone know of any new releases that I probably haven't heard yet?
>>
>>48563019
if anything wouldn't that make the point stronger? Now there's a tons of stuff happening, but people are forgetting them faster or never experiencing certain things because it just never got to them. Added to that, attention span is sinking like a rock.
>>
>>48563111
so the tea party isn't a movement? and neither was the "ocupy x" thing? or the internet movements against US anti-piracy measures? Also most of what you just said has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not something is a movement or not.
>>
>>48563193
None of that shit is going to be more than a few lines in a textbook in the future, they're not movements.
>>
File: 0002998910_100.png (235 KB, 975x177) Image search: [Google]
0002998910_100.png
235 KB, 975x177
>>48563099
Just check dream catalogue like twice a week. They have new stuff almost every time I go there

http://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/
>>
>>48563219
you are complete moron, also that could be said about just about anything.
>>
>>48563222
Yeah, I've already listened to all of that.
>>
>>48563247
http://bandcamp.com/tag/vaporwave?sort_field=date
>>
>>48563222
this is all Blank Banshee style stuff though... which isn't actually vaporwave. It's ambient trap.
>>
>>48563344
a lot, but definitely not all

plus I like the "ambient trap" shit a lot better anyways. It's what keeps me coming back to these vaporwave threads
>>
>>48562978
im here to remind you it's not cool though

in fact, it freakin sucks!
>>
>>48563414
but the only thing of that type that gets mentioned usually is Blank Banshee, and that just starts arguments and ruins the thread, so that doesn't even make sense.
>>
>>48563457
are you 12 or something?
>>
>>48563414
Man, blank banshee sucks ass.
>>
>>48563461
http://fourcolon.bandcamp.com/

not necessarily true! there's more out there
>>
>>48563492
you are trying too hard
>>
File: IMG_20140305_051158.jpg (248 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140305_051158.jpg
248 KB, 1000x1000
Opinions on this?
>>
>>48563505
I didn't say there wasn't more out there, I was responding to what you said about coming to these threads for the ambient trap stuff, and IN THESE THREADS blank banshee is usually the only thing of that type that ever gets mentioned. But you will just twist things into what you want anyhow because 4chan I guess.
>>
>>48563537
well the album cover and fonts are ugly as hell and that's about all I can say about it because I've never heard of it before, probably because it's you trying to promote yourself...
>>
>>48563537
I remember some anon spamming this all over /mu/ a few months ago, but they just stopped all of a sudden and Sleep Spell hasn't uploaded any new songs since then. Maybe he/she died?
>>
>>48563578
Do you even windows media player?
>>
>>48563537
Well judging solely based on the album art, it looks like it was made from a screencap of some WMP visualization and then some shitty fonts were slapped ontop of it. 1/10, would not even attempt a listen.
>>
>>48563537
Extremely meh. Not good, but not bad either.
>>
File: 1406287943671.png (824 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1406287943671.png
824 KB, 1000x1000
i saw this on the bandcamp thread, i don't know if it's good enough to be vaporwave.

http://idknesxwfk.bandcamp.com
>>
>>48563999
Nice try!
>>
>>48564039
what?
>>
>>48563481
im not 12, i dont listen to or create vaporwave
>>
>>48563999
dont lie because it just makes you look bad
>>
>>48563999
I'd download it if the cover didn't cover up the bois
>>
File: laughing cunts.png (444 KB, 465x455) Image search: [Google]
laughing cunts.png
444 KB, 465x455
>people who grew up in the 00s making music with "90s aesthetic"

Is there a more try-hard genre? Even nu-metal is less cringe-worthy in comparison.
>>
>>48564816
i doubt 14 year olds are smart enough to use audacity even though its extremely basic
>>
>>48564816
I'm old enough to be your dad...
Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.