[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: dr_670_main (1).jpg (55 KB, 395x330) Image search: [Google]
dr_670_main (1).jpg
55 KB, 395x330
"BUY YOUR GEAR USED" edition

Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

Learn how to get rare lunga memes, why /prod/ucers just wait for someone to make the thread and why I always copy the OP from a dead thread and change some of the words.

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy
Where do you guys get your gear? I buy mine from flea markets and from MusicGoRound online. I've had nothing but good results from both. I got pic related for $25 at a flea market and an Electrix WarpFactory Vocoder for $99 from MusicGoRound.
>>
List your gear and your favorite pieces:

>Arturia Microbrute Synth
>Boss DR-670 Drum Machine
>Tascam DP-006 Portastudio
>Shure SM58 Mic
>Digitech RP55 Effects Processor
>Electrix WarpFactory Vocoder

My favorite piece is the drum machine. I make shitty rap music and I love being able to program a beat and just spit that lukewarm fire over it.

>inb4 people shitting up the thread with gear vs software argument

I do both, but I like the gear more because I'm an oldfag at heart and I like to have something I can feel. I like to feel the knobs turn and shit, ya know?
>>
https://clyp.it/32h21cyp

feedback?
>>
sampling without equipment. only software. how to.
>>
http://www.shuttlebugrecords.com/Pages/shuttleplugs.htm

http://boscomac.free.fr/?p=rack

2good
>>
>>61406103
also curious this
>>
>>61406103
What do you wanna sample? Convert audio from youtube. Run external sources into mic in of your computer. Chop up audio from mp3s/wavs.

It's easier to sample in software if anything.
>>
>>61406071
>feedback?
sounds like it
>>
File: stop_the_cloud.jpg (252 KB, 1275x1283) Image search: [Google]
stop_the_cloud.jpg
252 KB, 1275x1283
Currently using old as fuck Adobe Audition 1.5.

I tried Adobe Audition CC, hated it, it doesn't let me put my drum loops together exactly how I want it (the snapping feature is broken, it leaves a tiny space inbetween clips so the track progressively gets out of time)

Is there any other DAW that I can jump into that would be a quick fit? I write mostly trip hop or dream pop
>>
I just got a Maschine Studio. How in the hell do I get samples from vinyl on it?
>>
>>61406536
>Convert audio from youtube

>>61406103
if using ableton or whatever just drag a wav or mp3 into your user library
then you can drag it into one of your studio stems, crop it in there, add effects etc

can also drag audio from there into an impulse slot if you want. I do that to arrange new melodies

no equip needed
>>
I just wanna produce some shit! I dunno anything about it. Where should I start? And fyi I have 0 budget, just a shitty laptop and slow wifi.
>>
>>61407402
fl studio
>>
>>61407402
torrent fl.

That's what i did back in 2010 on my mums laptop at her work as we didn't have the fucking internet at home.

You literally couldn't start off more of a poorfag than I was
>>
>>61407486
>>61407513

Is it really all I need? Which version do you recommend?
Thx for recs btw.
>>
>>61407523
Do you they still do editions?

Uhh producer edition i guess

Don't forget to watch shitloads of tutorials on youtube. The internet is your friend
>>
>>61407554
Idk I thought it had like versions but not sure really.
>>
>>61406261
Thank you
>>
>>61407402
start with any program you wanna. use presets on everything. write (or sample) your chords bassline and melody. add drums if you wanna. then keep learning and practicing.
>>
>>61407523

Producer edition because of the extra stuff.
>>
>>61408873
I tried to record some shit but my shitty speakers went crazy so I had to shut the pc down, what happened??
>>
I have soundcloud mixtape senpai rappers that want to buy beats from me but I don't know how to make hip hop production sound interesting

Help me make some quick cash prod I'm hungry. My hip hop beats are way too loop heavy and I know you know what I mean.

People come to me because they think my stuff is "out there" and amateur rappers want to be special snowflakes but that sure as fuck isn't the case for any of my beats
>>
>>61408964
Also I have another guy that wants "college dropout like" beats and he's offered me more than enough money to pay rent this month for enough beats for a mixtape.

Is there any way to put a spin on chipmunk soul? Because that shit is really loop heavy as well and I'm pretty sure that's what this guy means
>>
>>61407289
blue chips was made entirely from youtube sampling
>>
I'm looking for free delay and reverb VSTs, any recs?
>>
happy new years /prod/, somebody compiled a bunch of daddy kev's production advice on twitter
https://storify.com/paddybappin/audio-nuggets-from-daddy-kev-s-twitter
>>
Has anyone else plugged their guitair into an MS-20?
I got the mini, saw a patch in the example book where you use your guitair as a controller, and I thought to myself that I must try that.
It sort of works. Fiddling around I can get it somewhere but not really anywhere too useful. Maybe for basslines it might be alright if a little finnicky because sometimes it either doesn't trigger or holds for too long making fast picking difficult.
>>
>>61407270
Read the manual that comes with it. I could write out how to do it but it's explained really well and better than I could explain it in the manual
>>
File: image.png (249 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
249 KB, 2048x1536
>>61410036
Pic related
>>
how long do I have to dick around with ableton until I can slightly understand it?
>>
>>61409971
Type 10 best free reverb/delay vst plugins into Google anon
>>
>>61408899

Latancy something? Also do you have asio4all?
>>
>>61410238

Considerably less than the time you need to understand FL studio and I am not joking.
>>
rate my attempt at Berlin School ja

https://clyp.it/a2s5lxmv
>>
File: spin_prod_872934912.jpg (126 KB, 1440x846) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_872934912.jpg
126 KB, 1440x846
So chuffed /prod/! I have pic related ordered and on the way. Now, they're just a pair of copper/brass salt 'n pepper shakers FOR NOW... but they're one of the main parts of my next /diy/ project!
>>
>>61412389
is this some sort of joke? What's your project?
>>
I'll post these until i get feedback
https://clyp.it/e4eukmxs
https://clyp.it/14dr53ka

>>61411193

I don't really like your arp to be honest

>>61406071

That's quite heavy
Add some drums / hats / whatever on the piano part
>>
>>61412477
>is using something that isn't gear or software to make music some kind of joke?
what's it like to be a philistine?
>>
>>61412477
Ignore him. He just wants attention.
>>
File: 29.jpg (112 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
29.jpg
112 KB, 800x800
>>61412477
I'm calling them Salt 'n Pepper mics! They'e gonna be lo-fi vintage mics. Now, before we had condenser mics and thin mylar/moving coil dynamics mics were made with carbon capsules, piezoelectric crystal elements, and ribbon elements. I already have ribbons (and indeed they're easy to get anyway). These days piezo and carbon mics are very hard to come by (old analog telephones and some payphones still use carbon transmitters in the mouthpiece though because they can withstand weather and vandalism). You can find a lot of these mics on ebay (antiques from the 20s-50s) because they're either collectible or harp (harmonica) players love them. The orignal Shure harp mic and old Astatic mics are examples of carbon and piezo mics, respectively.

Anyway, in the interest of being intuitive about it, the "Salt" shaker is going to be a piezoelectric crystal mic and the "Pepper" shaker is going to be a carbon mic! The piezo one should be relatively easy but the carbon one I'm going to have to build a circuit for so it runs on phantom power.

Top is the carbon transmitter, bottom is the piezo transmitter.
>>
File: sadblue.png (8 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
sadblue.png
8 KB, 300x169
>>61412554
In retrospect I suppose you aren't altogether wrong
>>
File: pdgui.png (73 KB, 1074x514) Image search: [Google]
pdgui.png
73 KB, 1074x514
who puredata, max/msp or supercollider up in here?

getting started with pd, pic related is some patch i'm working on
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>61412913
Kyma
Not mine though, but I'm the guy with the key to the Kyma room
>>
File: 1392142737423.png (32 KB, 116x145) Image search: [Google]
1392142737423.png
32 KB, 116x145
>>61412994
>wiimote
>>
Is there literally any reason to buy a sampler?

I just lay out the files of my samples in Ableton and play with them there. Why do you need anything else?
>>
>>61412913
I used MaxMSP a bit back in colledge and I have PD but I never sat and cut my teeth on it. I really should though, it's really cool. Looks nice!
>>
>>61413031
Some people like being able to play their samples like an instrument
>>
>>61411193
its not enough in my opinion,but I like how it sounds
>>
>>61413029
>buttered toast maaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Are you on muff's by chance?

The wiimote is indeed connected to Kyma, mostly just used for the accelerometers, but you can assign the buttons too.
>>
>>61413089
Fuck, it's powdered toast man. Tbf i haven't seen that show in like 10 years
>>
What's the point of hardware synthesis in the year 2016?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>61405681
>Where do you guys get your gear?
eBay, music shops, friends or friends of friends that knows someone who knows someone who's selling something.
I just picked up this used mixer from a local music shop for £200. It's an absolute beast.
>>
>>61413089
wait,you`re using a wii remote as a controller?nice,how did you do that?isn¨t it hard to produce a stable sound?
>>
https://clyp.it/tirbfgng

Looking for advice on this beat I made. anything is helpful :)
>>
>>61413110
What is the point of making music in 2016
>>
>>61413124
oooh noice! is that a soundcraft? you won't be needing to replace/expand that anytime soon!
>>
day 2 producer here
help me.

I've got my samples and chopped them but now I want to put what I made into the tracks
>and javcee hasn't explained it properly.
>>
>>61413031
is there any reason to keep rehashing this hardware samplers vs software samplers nonsense? just use what you use and let other people do the same
>>
>>61413160
Not much without a degree, or equivalent autodidactic education in both music theory and musicology.
>>
>>61413131
the beat sounds generic as hell,the sounds seem to be thrown together without much thought.try too put more effort in one part and then keep going.It¨s hard for me to describe this in english
>>
>>61413193
...hit record?
>>
>>61413083
ty
>>
>>61413130
The wiimote uses Bluetooth to connect to the wii, so similarly, it can connect to the computer that way. Kyma doesn't directly work with the wiimote messages, so it needs to go into OSCulator to turn it into OSC messages (like midi but way cooler). The accelerometer data is different than the IR transmitter on the front of the wiimote, we don't use that, the accelerometer just measures changes in velocity, which can be useful for triggering events or increasing probability of things happening. In the end, it's really up to the user to code in what they want it to do, so it's as stable or unstable as you make it.

Plus audiences fucking love watching the wiimote.
>>
>>61413078
>preferring a hardware sampler over a midi instrument (push, launchpad, etc)
>ishygddt
>>
>>61413219
Here's one of my favorite students of ethnomusicology.

https://www.ted.com/talks/reggie_watts_disorients_you_in_the_most_entertaining_way?language=en
>>
>>61413130
a dude at my college did (>>61413274)
. was p dope, can confirm
>>
>>61413031
>Is there literally any reason to buy a sampler?
Do you mean a sampler in general or a hardware sampler?
If you mean why would any one use a hardware sampler when you can just use ableton then I guess you could apply that to synths, sequencers, mixers and drum machines? I use soft and hardware sampler and have Maschine studio which although soft feels like it's hard so I guess that sits inbetween somewhere. I'd still rather sample stuff in my hardware sampler than use ableton though. It's just how I like to work. I like to have dedicated boxes that do one thing well or at least have some character.
Software samplers for me are for huge instrument library's, but for actual sampling of drums and simple instruments it's hardware for me. I all me what you will but I'd rather have knobs in my hands than a mouse.
>>
>>61413277
>preferring to be tethered to a computer playing with plastic toys
>>
>>61413277
>>61413320
great posts, really making this thread better for everyone
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>61413182
It's a spirit by Soundcraft yeah. Only got 5 channels free and I haven't even finished setting it up yet! Loving it so far
>>
>>61413320
MIDI instruments allow you a wonderful level of control over your sound through post-recording microedits. Also, software will always beat hardware when it comes to expanse of creative potential. Hardware samplers/synths are really fun to play around with when you're getting started, but the best way is with MIDI.

>>61413295
kek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s6aNjJRbrA
>>
>>61413391
>Also, software will always beat hardware when it comes to expanse of creative potential
Okay, you had to know that was utter bullshit when you typed that
>>
>>61413391
I bet people can smell elitism when they're in your presence.
>>
File: image.png (674 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
674 KB, 1200x750
Parents bought me an Akai MPC studio for Christmas. Don't know much about them, been playing around with it a bit. Any tips?
>>
>>61413274
thank you,will think about getting one and messing around with it.it reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6btFObRRD9k
>>
>>61408995
Interesting samples that aren't played out, and try to cut them uniquely. Really fuck em up. Kind of do a madlib thing.
Use interesting percussion that isn't typical. Use weird vocal sample adlibs.
It's e z I do it all the time. Where do you get people contacting you for money? Not to blow up your spot but I'm curious.
>>
>>61413391
>Hardware samplers/synths are really fun to play around with when you're getting started, but the best way is with MIDI.
Are you joking? Is this why everyone thats a successful musician is sat in front of just a laptop in an otherwise empty studio and not in their plush studios surrounded by hardware?
>>
>>61412618
That's cool as fuck. Post your results if you remember, I'd like to see how they come out
>>
Alternatives for Roland SP 404?
>>
If I have to do denoising, how long should my noise sample generally be?
>>
>another god damn /prod/ thread getting ruined by hardware vs software arguments

good job guys
>>
>>61405681

Oh my god, I switched from FL Studio to Ableton a few weeks ago, nothing worked in my head and then suddenly it all clicked so good. I absolutely love Ableton.

Also, should I get a sound card/dac or whatever if I already have a Pioneer M-J300? Are those the same think or no?
>>
>>61413751

what kind of denoiser works by sample length?
>>
>>61413699
electribe, mpc, microsampler
>>
>>61413591
Yeah I'm pretty excited to get them done. It'll probably be at least a couple weeks though, and that's if it goes well. If I fuck it up or ruin the shakers while trying to do all the drilling and gluing of things it's gonna take longer. I'm sure I'll post results & clyps when they're done
>>
I recently started drumming for my friend and am looking to incorporate a sample pad into my set. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'd prefer something I can hit with sticks and isn't too too expensive.
>>
>>61414139
Kong wavedrum mini
>>
>>61414201
Wait nevermind, it doesn't sample
>>
>>61414139
Alesis samplepad
>>
>>61413776

Anyone?
>>
>>61414253
Is it good for that cheap or is it just worth shelling out a hundred or two more?

>>61414201
Even though it doesn't do samples this looks sweet. I'm gonna look into this. Thanks
>>
File: hank.png (103 KB, 311x300) Image search: [Google]
hank.png
103 KB, 311x300
anyone trying to sell a microkorg or volca beats?
>>
>>61413220
So is it a problem with my instrumentation? Or more of a problem with how the instruments come together?

Thank you by the way!
bump>>61413131
>>
>>61414721
please f a m don't buy meme gear
you picked literally the worst Korgs
>>
>>61414936
but muh budget
>>
prod what would you do to this? I usually get stuck in this part of the work flow.
>find drums sounds i like
>try to make a patern that doesnt sound corny
>find some chords that sound nice

never know where to go after that or how to switch it up to make it more dynamic. I know this is through trial and error, but I was wondering what some of you more seasoned beat makers would do. I just started so I dont know much about how to sample and that shit. I'm using fl studio btw

https://clyp.it/zvzs3yg2
>>
File: 1451531693877.png (932 KB, 1120x1056) Image search: [Google]
1451531693877.png
932 KB, 1120x1056
>>61414936
Please explain whats wrong with MicroKorg, was seriously considering buying one.
>>
>>61415066
Not him, but it's pretty stupid that a digital synth is limited to 4 voices. Also the microkorg engine is over 10 years old.

If you do buy one, don't buy it brand new, paying $400 for a $200 synth is outright moronic.
>>
>>61415229
I was definitely planning to buy it used for 200. I don't know if I should buy though now that you explain it like that. I just want a decent starter synth.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/sage-hoge/not-finished
https://soundcloud.com/sage-hoge/place-holder1
made this morning
what I want to do is pust them on the same song but I have no idea who to do that. any critique would be helpful.
>>
i have a question about composing.
I always seem to get one melody going, and then the beat, and then it always seems like it needs another instrument to back up the main melody, but I can never get that right and it always sounds bad.

Also, do you guys have any tips on getting all of the instruments to fit together?
>>
>>61415314
Well in the price range, there's the M-Audio Venom, the Alesis Micron/Akai Miniak, or for a little more, the Waldorf Blofeld desktop. They all have greater polyphony, and the venom and Blofeld are easier to edit than the microkorg.

If you want to stick with korg, the microkorg XL offers 8 voices, as well as the korg R3, which is the same thing but with full size keys.
>>
>>61405681
Complete newb here.

This is dumb but what are the midi keyboards for?

Also is ableton the best program?
>>
>>61415556
>what are the midi keyboards for?
controlling software instruments (or hardware instruments that have midi in)
>is ableton the best program?
there isn't really a singular best program but ableton is good for most things
>>
>>61415613
are they expensive? How long does it take to learn to make a good sounding tune
>>
>>61415642
smaller ones or used ones would be the cheapest (you might find yourself wanting more than 25 keys though).

it'll probably be a while before you make anything that sounds like a real song, but it'll be worth sticking with it if you really like making music
>>
whats a good mic, just for normal vox stuff (can sound lo-fi), for under 50$
>>
Has anyone here ever parted with a piece of gear they shouldnt have?

I had to sell my Korg SP500 full weighted 88 key for rent a year ago.

The pain is deep friends and these cheap MIDI controllers do not fill my needs.
>>
How do I stop ableton from replacing other clips when I record new ones? This shit is really pissing me off.
>>
File: 61igTs65+CL._SY355_.jpg (9 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
61igTs65+CL._SY355_.jpg
9 KB, 355x355
>>61415821
Digital Reference DRV100

Or you can go through the plethora of Nady dynamics as well. EV makes some cheep dynamics too and they're a better company overall. They all review quite well. If you want a condenser mic it's gonna be a little trickier... depends on the type of vocal stuff you do.
>>
>>61415909
disarm your tracks when you record
>>
>>61415909
>>61416021
https://youtu.be/d1acEVmnVhI
>>
>>61415909
>>61416021
https://youtu.be/TdvZZcVqXfo
>>
>>61415381
sounds like you need to get a basic grasp on music theory and how to layer sounds (you can get a good grip on how to layer effectively by experimenting and shit) , you got a computer senpai, layer anything with anything
>>
>>61415408
>M-Audio Venom
I'd avoid this one at all costs. It's only good for using as a controller and even then there are better options.
>>
>>61413776
>>61414272

Bumping this question again, anyone have an answer?

I have a Pioneer M-J300 linked to a Pioneer CX-J400. Should I get something like a Focusrite Scarlett2i2?
>>
>>61415921
I can go a little higher
>>
>>61416610
Well then get an EV mic. EV is good, EV is your frenn.
>>
I was thinking about buying a launchpad of some sort. I'm deciding whether I should get a Launchpad RGB and use that with my Akai MPD32 or if I should get a launchpad pro and not use my MPD32 at all. What should I do?
>>
Hello /prod/.

I need to create a mindless trap banger instrumental in two weeks. As this would be my first "serious" project, i am asking you for a good tutorial for this stuff. Previously i have only made acid in Ableton for fun...

(if this helps: i have watched Gregg Fine's Music Theory 101-106 and have Komplete Ultimate downloaded)
>>
Looking for a good VA synth. Anyone have recommendations? How did the new Rolands turn out?
>>
Any down to earth tutorials on sound design in fl (I efin love the piano roll) or ableton?
>>
>>61416667

I just can't find the appeal for the rgb launchpad.
>>
How would I go about getting a synth tone similar to the lead arpeggio sound in #1 by Animal Collective? (I'm using Logic Pro X if that helps)
>>
>>61416887
if you're ocd and you need to color code everything with specific colors like me, it's really good. I definitely want to have RGB pads. I'm just curious if it's okay if I save $150 and use 2 MIDI controllers or if it is worth spending an additional $150 for just the launchpad
>>
>>61416769
What's your price range?

I wanted to buy a system 1m for christmas but i think i'm going to wait NAMM 2016 before buying anything

As for the new boutique series the engine is the same as the aira, can't tell anuthing about the new jd series,not really intrested cause i'm more a one knob per function guy
>>
>>61416734
>I need to create a mindless trap banger instrumental in two weeks.
it seems like you're going into this with a negative attitude, and I suggest that you don't make this beat at all if you don't really like the genre or the music, and if your heart really isn't into it. that being said, it's pretty easy in theory, repetitive melody, groovy fast hihats in triple time, a deep synth bassline if you want, and don't forget the bassline made out of 808 drums

>>61416835
https://www.youtube.com/user/Syntorial1
that guy makes some simple and nice sounding patches and explains how he does so, and a lot of time he uses freeware so you can get the synth and follow along and use the patch he made. also, a lot of the stuff he teaches can be applied to most synths though. he also shills some software thats intended to teach you how to use a synthesizer, and about the different types of synthesis, but I've used it, and imo, it's not that great, it does give thorough and p solid lessons on synthesis though.
>>
>>61416966
$500 or so max
>>
>>61416734
>two weeks
It an be done in 10 minutes family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB4-uYqplXc
>>
>>61417542
Blofeld then,be sure to cancel all the presets
>>
>>61417396
Thanks. Also i actually listen to trap, if i didn't i wouldn't be interested in making such beat at all. It's just not my main/favorite genre.
>>61417542
Got any step-by-step one f a m?
>>
>>61406071

shitty runaway ripoff
>>
File: $_57.jpg (61 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
61 KB, 1000x1000
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Worlde-Panda-Mini-25-Key-USB-Keyboard-and-Drum-Pad-MIDI-Controller-G76X-/131649671887?hash=item1ea6ee92cf:g:WTMAAOSwo0JWQvyp

I asked this in a previous thread, but does anyone have any experience with these things? I need a cheap, small MIDI controller, but I can't find a review of this thing anywhere. I'd like to know if it's a complete piece of shit or not.
>>
>>61406071
too predictable. download a decent piano plugin and learn how to make a decent chord progression.
>>
>>61418636
Never used it, but looks like a piece of shit. Velocity response is probably gonna be random...
>>
Can a synthbro tell me if the Korg MS20Mini is a good "baby's first synth"?
I can play piano well, but I wanna make some dark and weird sounds like an 80's horror movie

Also is a moog minitaur worth the money for dark bass synth shit too?
>>
>>61418636
lmao.
I wouldn't, but if you decide to go for it report back.
>>
>>61418969
MS-20mini is great, so is the minitaur, but note that it doesn't have a wide keyboard range because it's meant for bass
>>
>>61418636

MPK mini is good
>>
>>61419023

If the MS20Mini is good for bass, would you happen to know if the Yamaha DX7 is a good synth for non-bass stuff?
>>
>>61418636
You should consider spending some bucks on a good controller. 35 dlls is good price for tight budget, but looks very cheap and totally consider the akai ones, especially the ones that have the pitch joystick.
>>
File: vapor.jpg (288 KB, 1400x1080) Image search: [Google]
vapor.jpg
288 KB, 1400x1080
So...can I start selling hip-hop beats and make a living off it? I'm not so sure that I can even make anything special, but it seems like there's enough hungry dweep wannabe cloud rappers out there. Seems like I just need to make beats of a certain aesthetic, and then I can sell them for like 50 bucks a pop, right? Something like that?

And if I can pop one or two out a day, that's not too shabby. Am I just dreaming or this a very possible route for income? I just don't wanna get a real job. This would be tight.
>>
>>61420293
>50-100 bucks a day.
Just get a proper job.
>>
File: pdnewpatch.png (72 KB, 1252x706) Image search: [Google]
pdnewpatch.png
72 KB, 1252x706
here's a chaotic sequence i managed to pull off in puredata

https://clyp.it/rh1q3kbm
>>
>>61419450
its goat if you want to make bell, glassy, or sharp sounds. it can also be a pad monster too. it all depends on whether or not you want to take the plunge and learn FM.

for an 80's sound its a must tho. stick to the presets and enjoy the cheese.
>>
What are some good ways to transition a house song from one section to the next other than phasers and reverse cymbals?
>>
>>61420596
Muting cymbals or other parts usually does the trick for me. Sometimes muting everything but the kick and snare so I can change a sequence or two on something else, then gradually reintroduce parts.
>>
>>61420419
Yeah except I wouldn't enjoy a proper job. And I enjoy making music. Sooooo.

Also ideally I'd want to make more money, I'm just lowballing it. But if it's possible to make that much, seems worth doing it as much as possible, and just have a part-time proper job on the side.
>>
>>61418636
Just get an MPK mini 2...
>>
>>61420293
Time for some tough love.

First off, you're not going to sell them at $50 a pop: you're going for the bottom feeder market and there are guys who have been doing it for years charging $20-30 per lease. Second, you can't seriously expect to sell a lease a day, regardless of how much marketing you do. Third, it's absolutely retarded to think starting any business on your own will not require capital to get it off the ground and keep you fed and with a roof over your head during weak sale weeks.

Just get a fucking job. You're not the first guy to think this is a good idea, and if you keep optimistic like that, you're not going to be the last one to not be able to afford basic necessities because of a childish view of the world. If you can't see how clients will not flock to you, and you need to convince them that whatever you do, you do better than anyone they know charging the same or less than you, you're just not ready. In fact, your fear of a real job is the thing that will make it harder to make it in this business, because it takes a lot more time and effort to be successful marketing, managing and selling beats/leasing music than it does to work on a day job.

If you're going to half-ass this, just quit right now and save yourself the trouble. If you're going to be serious, work a day job while you make your first track batches and save up.
>>
>>61420782 >>61418636
Can confirm, got this and love it.

I'm small time though so I don't know if it's suitable for professionals such as yourself ;^)
>>
>>61420947
Just to clarify I'm talking about the MPK mini 2
>>
>>61420786
Well I wouldn't half-ass it if I decided to try and take this path. And of course I have a to get a day job. I know how the world works man. Thanks for your advice, but you do sound a bit angry. Maybe my post was triggering, idk.

But the thing is - yeah, i know it'd be more than a proper job. It'd be hard as fuck. But for some reason I'd rather work hard as fuck on my own business that involves me making things and being creative with product and marketing rather than doing something that is just a complete waste of time of my life. I already kinda hate life. I don't know how I can keep going through life working jobs I hate without killing myself or starting a heroin addiction. All I know is that I love music.

I guess my question is: With hard hard hard work, is there a decent chance to make a reasonable amount of money? Or is it just impossible? I think I could offer different sounds to people. I think I could stand out, have something to offer. Then again, I bet every producer feels that way. And it seems like everyone make tracks now. It just seems like too over-saturated an industry. But maybe it's still possible to make cash? idk
>>
>>61420711
You better be making some amazing, ascended beats for you to be selling your tracks like for 50 bucks a pop if sell like 10 a day. C'mon famalam, I'm not saying that it is impossible, but you are really going to have to establish your brand and take shit to the next level.

Godspeed, familia.
>>
File: really nigga.png (95 KB, 272x272) Image search: [Google]
really nigga.png
95 KB, 272x272
>your brother 'learned' music production on mixcraft in high school
>your brother wants to pirate mixcraft to keep making beets
>you already bought fl studio a long time ago
>"fl is too complicated mang"
>>
>>61421146
>Thanks for your advice, but you do sound a bit angry.
I'm concerned. I work with music full-time and I've had more friends thrown out or having to take literally any job to avoid that because of a lack of perspective than people who managed to get where I'm at without connections and money. And I'm not at the top either, so it is damn near impossible for someone to be okay going in head first without a serious backup plan.

Loving music just isn't enough for this. Hard work isn't enough either. You'll have to become a businessman, and act like one even when you don't have a penny to your name, for good or bad. I personally know producers with about fifty times more followers than myself still working day jobs out of necessity.

>I think I could offer different sounds to people. I think I could stand out, have something to offer. Then again, I bet every producer feels that way.
They do. The internet gives people that impression, and not just in music.

>And it seems like everyone make tracks now.It just seems like too over-saturated an industry.
It's pretty much like that: it's a competitive, over-saturated market.

>But maybe it's still possible to make cash?
It is possible to make cash. It is highly unlikely, and even less likely to make steady cash. And "steady" is key when you're an adult. It's not impossible, but if you want my honest opinion, you're probably going to fail and feel like absolute shit if you go in expecting to make a career out of it, and it will make you resent music because you'll see it as the only way out of a situation you should be working on by either getting means to improving your work situation or accepting that in this whole world, a lot of people do jobs they're not particularly fond of and that's not the end of the world. Taking it as a side-gig and seeing where it takes you is the safest way to go about this. I did it and don't regret it one bit.
>>
>>61421615
>"fl is too complicated mang"

He must be autistic.
>>
>>61421223
Yeah idk is $50 considered a lot? I really am clueless, I just took a guess. But yo, establishing a brand is what makes me think I could do this. I'm not saying I'm special as a producer. But desu most beats I hear I feel like I could've done, and a lot of these are from big time producers. Like is anyone making some real ascendant beats? I'm not so sure, I think most of it's boring but the branding brings it up a few notches

>>61421679
Yeah I know, i really do need to accept the fact that I may end up working a job I hate for the rest of my life. It's just hard when you already are so depressed and anxious. It's like, wow, now I've gotta make my life worse?

Anyway, yeah, I'm not actually considering music as a career. It's a dream, for sure, but not one set in reality. More so my main goal is to just make good art. Good music, good art, that shit is almost the only thing that makes me feel something powerful. At the very least, i want to make some dope tracks. More than that, I'd like to be my favorite artist one day. if that makes sense. If I do a hip-hop project, I want to take an aesthetic to what I think is its best possible form.

If I were to achieve that to my ears, then I think I'd maybe be able to make some money off it somehow. Or I can try and go more of a producer route and sell beats like a business. Ideally I'd like to do both. What worries me is I just don't see how's there's enough time in the world to do all that and work a full-time job. It means working 2 full-time jobs basically a.k.a. no leisure time. Which would be fine, it's just hard to imagine now when I'm NEET af. But that's a goal I guess. Going from NEET to busier than everyone I know. Then I can justify starting to smoke cigarettes again
>>
>>61420425
Smooth those control messages. Either use line~ and tabread4~ or put a lop~ after the tabread.
>>
>>61422721
also
>dat graph on parent box for no reason at all
>>
Name my next EP
Name me
Name my two songs

Really gonna try to use some generative software for this
>>
Yo guys, I got a little thing for y'all here, if you are interested

>>61422853
>>
>>61423054
use a markov chain generator
>>
>>61423054
Flip of the Coin by MC Muttley, featuring the hit singles "Punch-drunk" and "Slingshot Around the Sun"
>>
>>61423124

You got it
>>
>>61420425
Thank you so much for this, I really really like the sample
>>
File: 1439879178220.png (287 KB, 889x592) Image search: [Google]
1439879178220.png
287 KB, 889x592
how do i make this not sound like shit?

https://clyp.it/frporybb
>>
>>61423054
>SUICIDE W.A.T.C.H
>MC Zentinel

>N.O.O.S.E
>P.I.S.T.O.L
>>
>>61423651
That sounds super dissonant, change some of the parts, use different sounds, different octaves.
>>
I really want a 303 but I'm not rich so should I save up to buy the tb-3 or the tt-303 bassbot?
>>
>>61422590
My dude, $20-50 is considered pretty expensive for a beat to an amateur rapper who wants an original unused beat from what I understand.

For some reason beginning rappers have no real interest in paying for beats but they don't mind buying a new pair of J's and spending money on candy, beer, and shit.

Like the other anon said you have to work on establishing yourself and playing it smart, ideally you want to be making some GOOD beats and showing your capabilities which would incentivize rappers to buy those beats. Not to mention that it is an oversaturated market with producers selling beats completely for free or stupidly cheap.

Its not impossible at all, its just that you have to play shit smart and have plans and shit.

>Make REALLY good beats with variety and heart put in them.
>Establish your name/brand and value your work but make it accessible to the rappers who have the fund
>Network with local rappers who have talent and skill and get your material in their hands as soon as possible

If you do these you'll have a shot.
>>
Gear list:
> Thinkpad E520
> Sonar X2 for arrangements, mix, production
> Audiomulch for developing noise/drone/ambient pieces for a live setting
> Novation Launchpad, in case I want to trigger different sequences in a drum machine, or use mlrv as an additional sampler
> Korg Nanokontrol for controlling the mixer in Audiomulch

Rhythm Section:
> Korg Volca Beats
> Roland TR-505
> Arturia Microbrute
> Korg Microsampler modified by Mini KP

Vocals:
> Shure Sm58
> EHX Freeze
> EHX Memory Toy

Additional FX:
> Behringer Fuzz pedal
>>
File: IMG_20160101_224954.jpg (42 KB, 526x438) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160101_224954.jpg
42 KB, 526x438
Does anyone have any experience with the Akai XR20? I have been thinking about getting one to make beats on.
>>
>>61424718
haven't used one, but I'm pretty sure they're kinda crap
>>
how do guitar/bass synthesizers sound when keyboards are plugged into them?
>>
>>61424718
i love mine its been good for simple techno and beetz in general. the only gripe i have is that you cant mute parts individually, its either the full drum pattern or no drum pattern at once playing. i also wish i could load samples to it but you can change sets and its fun to use
>>
File: 1405086198018.jpg (47 KB, 369x368) Image search: [Google]
1405086198018.jpg
47 KB, 369x368
Ok, guys i'm fucking around in Operator trying to reproduce some oldschool OPN sounds like the lead synth on "Andro" with square waves (i believe it is square) but i just can't get it to sound that worn out and tape like, like it goes a bit out of tune and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqlKiC7fD6E

Kicks in at about 15 seconds. what do?
Been at it for like 2 hours
>>
>>61425622
Exactly the same as they would with a guitar or bass. The audio input is only used for pitch tracking, anything audible is generated by the synth itself.
>>
>>61425798
siq, thanks. i had the epic idea of plugging a cheap casio into one of those things.
>>
>>61425851
>>61425622
The fuck is a guitar/bass synthesizer?
>>
when i just drag something into fl studio and just simply hit play, it plays the same file over and over on top of eachother and it makes no fucking sense. what the fuck. why is this shit so complex?
>>
>>61425878
A basic synthesizer in the form of an effects unit that you plug a guitar/bass into to control.
>>
>Shure M57
>Steinberg UR22
>Roland JDXi
>Akai MPK Mini 2
>Audio Technica M50x
>MacBook Air
>Ableton

I love pairing up Ableton with the JDXi.
>>
>>61425921
Never heard of those. You don't mean effect pedals or stuff like the Line6 POD, right? Link to such a product?
>>
File: img54d9a95b167ea_l[1].jpg (149 KB, 839x1000) Image search: [Google]
img54d9a95b167ea_l[1].jpg
149 KB, 839x1000
>>61425947
standalone ones usually look something like pic related

some multi-effects units have a built in synth engine which can accomplish the same thing
>>
>>61425947
Boss SYB-5
EHX Microsynth
>>
>>61425920
i dont know what i did wrong but i did and i just started something new and now its fixed. im learing so much
>>
Guys, live sound question.

What's the most reliable way to get a good vocal distortion that doesn't feedback into eternity? I've tried running it through my OD pedals but it's always too much or too little.
>>
>>61426002
Dog go watch Frankjavcee and he'll shine knowledge upon you
>>
>>61425995
>>61425997
Eh, looked up some videos and it just sounds like a normal effect pedal.I thought this was actually a synth where you can create patches through waveforms and just play them through guitar.
>>
>>61425920
You're really not giving much info man.. what do you mean the file plays over and over on top of each other? does the sample just layer upon itself and increase in volume? what kind of sample is it? where did you drag the sample into, the step sequencer, or the playlist window, and how are you playing the sample? if you dragged it into the step sequencer and are playing it inside the step sequencer, you might have the loop function turned on and that could be what's going on, I've had that happen to me before, just click it off, it's inthe sampler window > SMP tab> right above the declicking box, and right below the Wave box
>>
>>61426090
I'm pretty sure there are guitar to midi converters
>>
>>61426222
There is definitely such a thing as "MIDI guitar pickups" that just convert the pitch into a midi signal
>>
>>61425682
i guess you could open up the drum set menu and mash 00 on the part you wanna mute
>>
>>61413474
sell it lmfao
>>
>>61426470
hey thats a good idea
>>
>>61426540
why? is it bad? ive been thinking of getting one lol
>>
File: thefuck.png (21 KB, 267x199) Image search: [Google]
thefuck.png
21 KB, 267x199
Uh, for some reason Abletons Arpeggiator makes it so that i can't play half notes anymore. For example both the C and C# key on my midi controller just trigger the note C when it's on. Why does it do it, how to fix it?

Also is there an easy way to hit the notes correctly when recording the arpeggiator? For example if the arpeggiator goes really fast and i don't hit all the notes in the right split second when changing chords the arpeggiator "resets" and the sound basically stumbles instead of just continuing in a different chord.
>>
>>61427147
>Key: C
there's your problem
>>
>>61427212
Nothing changes when i changed that. It's not like all my keys play a C now, the same thing also applies to F and F# and so on.
>>
>>61427147
nah that drop down is for the key signature the arp is set to play in
the key of C major has no sharps or flats, so it would make sense that your keyboard can't play sharps or flats

the problem is that it's transposing to the major key, change that to shift, see if that works

>i don't even use ableton i just googled the fuckin manual
>>
File: relevant.png (51 KB, 773x602) Image search: [Google]
relevant.png
51 KB, 773x602
>>61427274
th
>>
kind of a longshot, but can anyone confirm that the Behringer US600 works with the EHX 8-Step? anyone try this specific combo?
>>
>>61427421
>>61427212
>>61427274
>>61427147

Nevermind, i'm retarded. I didn't realize "major" was on and it was still on shift.

What does "Shift" mean anyways in this context?
>>
>>61427545
honestly i don't know

probably something about pitchshifting
>>
>>61426312
I would love to have this as usb device. I feel a lot more comfortable on the guitar.
>>
I want a boss sp-202 sampler but cant find one
>>
hey there, i mostly make guitar based music, like alternative rock, but ive been needing to get a midi keyboard to use, any suggestions on a cheap basic one which can do some cool things?
>>
whats a good beginner midi controller?
>>
>>61430053
what kind of cool things are you looking for? as far as I know the only things they come with other than keys are, faders knobs and pads, but they may come with other stuff.. and this guy >>61420782
recommended the mpk mini 2, but honeslty this thing>>61418636
will probably work, if you're willing to use a possibly fragile or poorly built controller. other than that, it's just what you're looking for, cheap and it comes with a few bells and whistles , just don't throw it around/mash buttons

>>61430197
probably the mpk mini 2
>>
>>61426090
There are no guitar synthesizers..

The Korg MS-20 has pitch tracking though, which is a cool feature. So you can plug your guitar into the synth and it tracks the pitch, so the guitar acts as a controller in a way. It's usually not spot on, it tries its best to match pitch..Cool thing to experiment with though.
>>
Alright, tired of midi controllers, im going to hoard hardware now, whats the best cheap, analog synth i could get for a really cheap price, i wanted a korg volca because it has a really nice price but everyone here says its shit
>>
>>61430359
cheers for the help man looking at the MPK mini 2
now :)
>>
>>61430600
microbrute, bass staion ii, volcas, ms-20, etc...
>>
File: justwallofnoisefeel.jpg (86 KB, 681x809) Image search: [Google]
justwallofnoisefeel.jpg
86 KB, 681x809
>>61412526
>>
>>61430600
btw those korgs are pretty sweet for the price. Plus you can play em for a while and sell em for nearly the same price. I mean they're like 100 bucks a pop...they're not gonna be the lushest sounding synths but they are good for the money
>>
>>61424151
I just looked up to some websites to sell beats in and fuck, it really is an oversaturated market, and i don't care enough to make "connections".
(I'm not the other anon)
>>
>>61431009
How much were they going for?
>>
>>61420425
thanks to your sample i can now be autechre
thank you so much
>>
>>61417396

I appreciate the help. Thanks.
>>
>>61430600
Don't take anything that people say on here as truth. Most of the people here saying Volcas are shit have never used them or are comparing them to much more complicated expensive synths.
Read some reviews, watch some decent video review, make up your own opinion on whether they will suit you?
I have a Bass and the Sample and they are both very usable and are the best value for price I've ever spent on gear.

Pros
>cheap
>small
>analog

Cons
>plastic and fairly cheap build quality.
>small
>ribbon keyboard is shit
>no indervidual instrument outputs
Although the build quality isn't brilliant it's actually very good for £100. I've had mine since they came out and they are still 100% working. They are fine for £100 but personally I'd not really want to spend much more than that on a synth of this quality (ms20 mini) as although they've out lasted what I expected them to I'm always a little surprised that that they still work. I dunno maybe they will out live me.
Go grab one they are tonnes of fun and cheap as shit.
>>
>>61424151
>$20-50 is considered pretty expensive for a beat
You know what? I wouldn't even bother selling anything I'd made for that sort of money, are these beats like something your sister could make or do these beat sellers have no pride in their work/art.
You'd have to be able to knock out a shitty beat every hour and sell each one to make a living off of that.
Personally I'd rather go to work than use my studio for that.
>>
>>61431970
>Don't take anything that people say on here as truth.
Especially this.

>>61432770
>have no pride in their work/art
Pride isn't worth shit. Whether you're making thousands, hundreds or pennies, it'll be really hard for you to survive in this industry if you think in terms like that.

Of course, I think selling/leasing beats to that kind of market is stupid too, but not because of pride: the moment you offer your services openly for money, it's a job. You can still love music and feel proud of making music, but that and making money need to be kept separate or you'll act unprofessional more often than not.
>>
>>61425786
You're using some kind of room simulation on it, right?
>>
Alright, /prod/. I can feel it. 2016 is going to be the year I git gud with percs.
Clyp related, first attempt of the year, single hits only, r8 & h8.
https://clyp.it/1ddwdthx
I think I should add some vocoded bassy drone to it.
>>
I am relatively new to all of this, and i'm trying to go for an early OPN kind of sound for starters, just experimenting and shit.

Does the lead sound too obnoxious? I'm trying to get that Juno-60 tier sound.

https://clyp.it/krqde2iu
>>
File: pianowizard-premier-4.jpg (19 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
pianowizard-premier-4.jpg
19 KB, 500x375
>>61425786
Do you have a keyboard with one of these pitch bend wheels? The going out of tune might actually be done manually with something like this.
>>
>>61433991
I do, but it's not really something i can do smoothly and subtly as the wheel "locks" into place when i hit neutral and requires a little bit of extra strength to move from there, so i can't really go back and forth smoothly if that makes sense.
>>
>>61433484
I disagree. Pride and self worth are important aspects of running a business. Although I don't make music for a living I do run my own business and I wouldn't work for pennies my price is my price to customers and if they want to find it cheaper then they are welcome to go elsewhere, but I won't work for less than my price. That's pride in what you do and self worth. Once you start doing thing for cheap you've already targeted a cheap market and it's not easy to suddenly up your prices without losing all your customer base.
>>
What's the Ableton equivalent of FL Studio's Harmor addictive synthesizer?
>>
>>61434118
I don't really know to much about the beat market but unless people are paying for shitty beats made in ten minutes for 50 bucks then it's not really a good market to be in. I'm guessing the beats are pretty bad at that price and would sound shit on a professional recording. I very much doubt someone like Primo would be selling his beats for anywhere close to that price and if you offered 50 bucks for one of his beats I'm sure he'd politely decline the offer. That is because he has pride in his art and self worth I'd imagine.
>>
>>61434191
Ableton running Harmor VST.
>>
>>61434118
Pride and self-worth aren't the same, you're mixing the words up. Self-worth is necessary for running a business, pride will make you act based on feelings. However, you're not wrong besides that.
>>
File: sdas.jpg (87 KB, 830x894) Image search: [Google]
sdas.jpg
87 KB, 830x894
>>61421615

reminder that mixcraft is better than fl
>>
>>61434239
Ok you're right but pride is still kinda related. Admittedly you can have pride in a beat you've made and that beat doesn't necessarily actually be any good, but if you are making good beats you shouldn't be selling them for cheap. I'm assuming a decent hiphop beat would take days to perfect and hundreds of hours honing the skills required to get good at that art. Selling that beat for 50 bucks won't do anything good especially for your pride.
Bad choice of words on my behalf maybe.
>>
>>61434312
>2016
>FL still can't have single-height toolbar
There's your answer.
>>
>>61434312
Dub techno guy do you make any dub techno? I see your posts in /mu/ ages ago but this is the first time I've seen you in /prod/ threads
>>
So are VST Equalizers that much better than the stock EQs? I can understand using VST for synths and some effects that aren't available in the stock library, but practically every DAW has a EQ of some kind.
>>
>>61433967
a-anyone?
>>
>>61434412

forgot to drop my trip ; )

I post here all the time bby. Nah I don't make dub techno tbqhwy, I don't find it that exciting. I do use some of the production techniques though
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 700x700
>>61434312
>if fisher price made a daw it would look exactly like Fruity toots studio
Pic related
>>
File: fugg.png (22 KB, 568x491) Image search: [Google]
fugg.png
22 KB, 568x491
I dunno if this thread will die to soon.
But are there any non musicians here that are addicted to trying to make music?
I wanna fucking kill myself.
I'm a natural artist when it comes to drawing, painting, photography, sculpting, you name it. I must be autistic. But suddenly at the age of 18, I gained an interest in making music. Specifically electronic. But it feels so lonely because I'm known for other art. Not music. When I work on music, I feel like a loser. I have no confidence.
I can't even ever think of what to make a track be about/be inspired by (even if it's just to dance/mindlessly enjoy). So it never goes anywhere. Because I'm not a musician. FUCK. Guys, I hate myself... I hate that I try to make music every single day and night. The act of doing it makes me depressed but I'm still drawn to it. In the end, it'll all be a waste of time. As if it isn't already. I lose so much sleep over dicking around in FL Studio. It's been years since I was last suicidal. Put me out of my misery.
Sorry for this crybaby shit.
>>
>>61434442
That's interesting. I thought you might post here without the trip.

I'm quite into dub techno influenced stuff, but like you I find it very uninspiring to make due to the nature of the genre.
Big fan of dub music and techno though.

What sort of stuff do you usually write?
>>
>>61434529
>FL Studio

I bet it's pirated too
Maybe it's the guilt eating away at your bitch ass senpai
>>
File: myfirststepsequencer.png (90 KB, 846x272) Image search: [Google]
myfirststepsequencer.png
90 KB, 846x272
>>61434476
Brah, start yo kids early.
>>
>>61434529
we might not have much in common when it comes to talent, but i'm also dicking around in fl studio, currently just dumping every single project into a folder i called "learning curve", hoping that some day i'll be over said learning curve and be able to look back at this trash

i just mocked up some stuff that wasn't as terrible as my previous stuff, so i guess i'm making progress
try new sounds, don't be afraid to experiment
we'll get there in time
>>
>>61434556
Got any recommendations of a better DAW? Genuinely curious. What do you use?
>>
>>61434529
have you tried grabbing little midi keyboard, learning some really basic principals for piano/keyboard and getting the rhythm or melody from your head onto paper?

Honestly, before you even think about production you really have to know something about music other than what it sounds like.
>>
>>61434615
Don't let the "FL is shit" meme get to you. A lot of very talented people rely on FL for almost all of their tracks.
>>
>>61434529
If you don't enjoy making music you should probably stop, it sounds like its taking a terrible toll on your life. Or try some self confidence! Don't let these autistic theory turds convince you that you have to know all the terms and such. Just make what you want to make and don't be too hung up on sounding like everything else.
>>
>>61434529
Let me guess you started getting into Production without ever having touched an instrument before?
>>
>>61434529
I've been fucking about in daws for over ten years now with no idea about music. I've come to the conclusion that I'm more into sound design than writing melodys etc.
I can easily spend a day playing about with a few sounds, sampling, resampling, editing, sending through effects loops, resampling, EQing, mixing etc then just turning everything off without even saving anything.
I guess I just like sound and learning how to manipulate it.
Keep at it anon, maybe one day you'll find something really interesting in what you do and that might propel you somewhere great, you might even discover a way of working that gets you a really unique sound that other artists want on their records or you might get really good at knowing your way around a studio set up and land a sweet job as a studio engineer or something
>>
>>61434536

ikr, I still do try once in a while to make proper "dub techno" but it just sounds generic. Synth stab->chorus->delay->reverb = what I call "blogcore dub techno" Still I like the idea behind it.

I make 120-124bpm techno, a bit of house, "experimental"...not really a specific sound. Lately I've been fucking around with a cheapo1980s keyboard ran through some FX boxes and my A4's FX. Want to get away from berghain core-banger type of stuff and into more 'out there'. With lots of reverbs and delays ofc

What do you produce? what's your set up?
>>
>>61434598
I pretty much do the same thing. Though sometimes I just delete all of my old stuff because I know it's bad and it forces me to work on music more.
I'm too afraid to listen to what I made in the past, haha. I am really set on trying new sounds though. I'm trying to break the habit of using the same sounds. It does help. I hope it doesn't take us too long! Anything interesting you've done recently?
>>
>>61434615
Protools comes free with some outboard gear purchases... or at least the LE version used to... its a nice package but is not as plug and make a beat as Fruity Loops.

Ableton is great for live stuff but I don't see much use in recording or production when you stack it up against other DAWs.

Cubase is my favourite but purely because it's all I've ever really used. Still got the same version I purchased about 10 years back.

There are so many flavours just use what you find to be the most comfortable. Each have pros and cons.

On a personal note whenever someone harps on about the sick beats they make in fruity loopys I stop listening.
>>
>>61434645
I don't think it's so bad either. I like it. That's why I was curious. Because apparently other DAWs must do something godly that FL can't.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.