[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/daily/ - "RIP" edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 143
File: summemes.jpg (1 MB, 1427x1427) Image search: [Google]
summemes.jpg
1 MB, 1427x1427
Systematize your backlog, discover new music, tell us what you've been listening to to today!

relevant links:

TOPSTERS.NET
TOPSTERS.NET
TOPSTERS.NET
>chart your listening quota

https://synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>plug.dj-ersatz for real-time memery

http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random shit

Most importantly, get taste!

Previous thread: >>61304694
>>
First for N E V E R
>>
Tried out Ruth White today, very interesting stuff (flowers of evil album)
>>
Charles Mingus- Mingus Ah Um
The first track puts you right into the action, with insane drumming and brass, held up by Mingus's wild bass playing. The drum solo on this song is amazing.

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat brings the intensity down to a melancholy, mournful tune led by the trumpet

Boogie Stop Shuffle immediately brings back the energy, loving the interplay between the horns and piano here, and speaking of piano, that solo is a killer

Self Portrait in 3 Colors is another mournful one, driven by the brass like Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, but not really as good. Still a real good track though

[1/2]
>>
File: Freeform Chart.png (331 KB, 1560x720) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart.png
331 KB, 1560x720
is AYI actually done with /mu/ or is he just done with the big AOTY lists? don't leave us :'(

Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido (1972)
>space rock

The only thing that makes this spacey is the 'whoosh' sound effects that are constantly in the background. Remove them, and you get a pretty good, if somewhat bland, heavy psych/hard rock album. "Brainstorm" is a great track, and the rest of the album excels in the guitar tone and riff department, but fails in the production and vocal department (Lemmy is the best singer here, that shouldn't be a thing), and is just overall kinda bland and forgettable. I'd keep this record around, just not for everyday listening.

2.5+
>>
File: der ring.jpg (310 KB, 2012x2027) Image search: [Google]
der ring.jpg
310 KB, 2012x2027
>>61343037
When you're ready to tackle Wagner's Der Ring Des Nibelungen, there are a few things that help:

Deryck Cooke's Intro goes through a lot of the themes and is really interesting https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/wiener_philharmoniker_georg_solti_deryck_cooke/an_introduction_to_der_ring_des_nibelungen/

If you don't speak German, I'd recommend following along with a translation like Stewart Spencer's http://www.amazon.com/Wagners-Ring-Nibelung-Stewart-Spencer/dp/0500281947/

As for the recordings themselves, it's hard to go wrong with Solti's version, which has been reissued recently http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Der-Ring-Nibelungen-Combo/dp/B00VVZUXRS/
>>
>>61347315
Karajan and Keilberth's 1st cycle are also good rings.
Not big on Solti's desu.
>>
File: Screenshot 2015-12-29 14.34.57.png (2 MB, 1552x1388) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2015-12-29 14.34.57.png
2 MB, 1552x1388
Jesus fucking christ FKA Twigs blew me away. I was expecting this kind of boring sexualized female pop star, but she offers a critique of this presentation of female pop musicians while embracing it in a certain bizarre way. It's like Arca and Beyonce had a baby. The contrast of the distorted and fractured production and her beautiful vocals makes for some catchy but disturbing pop(?) music. This EP is near perfect.
>>
File: Robert Noyce.jpg (42 KB, 619x357) Image search: [Google]
Robert Noyce.jpg
42 KB, 619x357
what's some noyce music
>>
>>61347635
Entire discographies played at once
>>
>>61347635
something by Carsten Nicolai probably, dunno
>>
>>61347777
wow
>>
File: january.png (1007 KB, 753x675) Image search: [Google]
january.png
1007 KB, 753x675
Open Letter to Duke continues the theme of energetic tracks following the downtempo ones. The drummer on this album is amazing, I don't think I've ever heard drumming this fast. Mingus's bass and the brass at the end are crazy

Bird Calls breaks the pattern we have so far with a track at least as energetic as Duke, if not more. Loved the tradeoff from brass to piano about 2 minutes in the song. Another drum solo here, even crazier and better than the first one.

Fables of Faubus seems to jump between the relaxed style and the frantic style of the album so far, I like this track a lot

Pussy Cat Dues, the longest track by far, is similar to the last track as that it is a slower song compared to most of the songs on the album, but faster than the slower songs, and like the last track, I like it a lot, especially the ?sax I think solo towards the end of the track

Jelly Roll closes the record with a upbeat, fun sounding song, especially with the blasts of sax and the sound that I think is Mingus tapping the fretboard (is that what it's called on a double bass) of the bass.

this is at least a 4.5/5 and it might go up to a 5 if it holds up the next time I listen to it

Also is there any good way to learn how to differentiate from trumpet and saxophone? I get the two way to easily confused
>>61347512
do thundercat next
>>
Listening to this because anything that keeps me from listening to Holter or the two Bowie singles is good enough*
*is not that good doe, but not bad at all
>>
File: Techno-Medieval-Ritual.png (772 KB, 950x760) Image search: [Google]
Techno-Medieval-Ritual.png
772 KB, 950x760
>Porter Ricks - Biokinetics
I appreciate the mood and the textures but it gets so fucking boring after the first four songs. It's just the same uninteresting stuff over and over. I don't have a problem with that usually but here it's irritating. Why are all the albums in this genre too long ?
5/10

>Muslimgauze - Return of Black September
I loved the chaotic use of sound effects and, of course, the middle eastern stuff. It works well to create a unique and intriguing atmosphere. Awesome cover art.
8/10

What next?
>>
File: folder.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
Recs that sound like Ground Zero - El Derecho De Vivir En Paz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1MYiRNGSrQ
>>
>>61348217
listen to *that* cat album
>>
File: jingle cats.jpg (30 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
jingle cats.jpg
30 KB, 300x298
>>61348217
>>61348430
This is the GOAT cat album
>>
>>61348665
Damn... you're right.
https://youtu.be/d9LqRl7tqf4?t=8s
>>
File: mortigif.png (3 KB, 40x40) Image search: [Google]
mortigif.png
3 KB, 40x40
Long time no see, gardeners.
i have important plans for tomorrow, I'll be busy all days doing nothing and being a useless shit.
Give me your AOTY so I can have something to listen to while doing so.
>>
>>61349184
Satanique Samba Trio - Mó Bad
>>
File: Oxbow- King of the Jews (1991).jpg (85 KB, 475x476) Image search: [Google]
Oxbow- King of the Jews (1991).jpg
85 KB, 475x476
Oxbow is quickly proving the exception to all of my usual biases. Normally I can't stand vocals as grating as what I've heard from their first two albums, yet I'm still curious to hear more. I'm not really into noise rock as much as other subgenres, and yet I enjoyed it here. I don't get it, man. I guess it's just because they seem unpredictable - so far.

Also this album cover is unsettling, probably how it's rendered.
>>
>>61347635
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrQ79cCCJJQ
>>
>>61349184
AЛ-90 - КOД-915913
>>61348217
>giving one of the better albums in the techno section a 5
you better be careful with the scores for BCD, cat and Monolake
>>
>>61349184
Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire
Liturgy - The Ark Work
>>
>>61349907
>>61349184
seconding Fantasy Empire
>>
>>61349184
Hey Mort!
My AOTY is After Seijaku but I'm not sure if you dig 2 hours of 3 nip dudes wanking with electronics.
I listened to this though today >>61340268 and it was very pleasant, so check this out instead if you're not in the mood.
>>
>>61349184
Tigran Hamasyan - Luys i Luso
>>61349752
I'm not sure if I actually like techno 2bh. I'll relisten to Biokinetics with (hopefully) the right mindset.
>>
relistening to this guy to get a full review out, hopefully it doesn't go awful.
>>
>>61349184
You're gonna love it. Good to see you, Mortimer.
>>
File: 000dailydecember.png (2 MB, 892x1543) Image search: [Google]
000dailydecember.png
2 MB, 892x1543
listened to a lot today so heres a bunch of short reviews

>Squarepusher - Ultravisitor
It had some interesting concepts, but for the most part it didn't really interest me.

>The Residents - Fingerprince
Wow, I can't believe how under appreciated this album is when people talk about The Residents. It used to be one of my least favorites too, but revisiting it I can see its brilliance. It feels a lot like MTR but it takes itself a lot more seriously. It doesn't have the usual humor that a Residents album has, and that's actually a good thing for this album. Definitely worth listening to if you like 70s era Residents

>The Residents - Not Available
They did it again. This was supposed to be a sequel to MTR, but the band decided to release it when all of the members completely forgot about it. It ended up getting released in 1978 cause Ralph records wanted them to release something, since Eskimo was taking longer than expected. It turns out to be almost as good as MTR, surprisingly. The songs are a lot longer and a lot more structured, it almost feels like a prog album. It isn't as weird, but it's still quite fun.

>The Residents - Duck Stab
It's a good entry point for anyone who wants to get into The Residents. It has a lot of their most popular songs (Constantinople, Blue Rosebuds, Hello Skinny) but the first half of the album suffers from a couple of filler songs. It was originally supposed to be two EPs (Duck Stab! being the first half and Buster and Glen being the latter half), but for some reason they just put the two together. The second half is a lot better, with tracks like Wight-Lifting Lulu, Hello Skinny, The Electrocutioner, and a few other good tracks.

just one more residents album and its over
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Xxxxxx from the devil's birthplace
>>
File: Hasture_vapecember_2015.jpg (1 MB, 1576x1124) Image search: [Google]
Hasture_vapecember_2015.jpg
1 MB, 1576x1124
>g h o s t i n g - Telenights
>vaporwave

This is like listening in on a old and busted tv set. There's a sort of warped glitchiness that sort of makes the album interesting, but ultimately wears thin as the album is all style/no substance.
>>
File: aureliano4.png (1001 KB, 1000x1027) Image search: [Google]
aureliano4.png
1001 KB, 1000x1027
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
[1980]

This record is powerful. Starting from the funky beats and unconventional drums to the unique vocal expressions, it has a strange, primal strength - which is kind of ironic, seeing as how the album is about the impotence of the ordinary person.

The voices overlay and repete and make sure they get the message across, in a trademark Talking Heads way. My biggest pleasure is in the details, how he may pronounce a certain word, or with what attitude. It also helps that most of the lines are interesting enough to be remembered outside the musical context.

On the musical aspect, one of the things I enjoyed the most is the unusual combination of african rythms and instruments with the production of Eno. It works really well and makes sure every track is enjoyable.
Also, talking about the songs, props to Seen And Not Seen because it says what has been floating around in my mind for a really long time in the best way I would've imagined.

My main problem is the final track, the Overload. I guess it's a closer and it's kind of logical that after such an energetic album start, it got gradually slower, until the climax, but i still haven't wrapped my mind around if I like that decision or not.

Good album! I don't know why old me didn't like it this much.
What next?
>>
File: 81-10cc-sheet-music.jpg (527 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
81-10cc-sheet-music.jpg
527 KB, 1200x1200
Why is this album so fucking good?
>>
>>61350550
outlaw/10
>>
>>61350550
edgy
>>
I almost haven't been listening to any music the last week or so, but i just saw the new Star Wars today so that's cool i guess. I also watched The Sound of Music with my family on christmas day, so i guess that counts as some music.
>>
>>61350660
>I almost haven't been listening to any music the last week or so
N E R D
>>
>>61350595
Kind of Blue
>>
>>61349184
Oren Ambarchi & Johan Berthling - Tongue Tied
https://mega.nz/#!H9xDCL4Q!Ym3UyWgFm3L6dl4qzMfc0TnulBKgd6Ryll5EiKI2W6Y
>>
>>61349184
Prurient - Frozen Niagara Falls
>>
>>61350708
I might listen to this tomorrow.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/thatfood
he is a /mu/tant

I like bicycle raga
>>
File: january.png (1005 KB, 753x675) Image search: [Google]
january.png
1005 KB, 753x675
David Bowie- Diamond Dogs
Bowie decides to end his glam era by making a proto punk album. The songs are a mix of Stooges esque rock tracks and grand glam rock tracks. The concept here, while interesting, does not stand up to that of Ziggy Stardust, and really none of the songs do either. The same level of quality as Hunky Dory.

3/5
>>
>>61350676
i know

i've been singing with my family tho
>>
>>61351691
P A T R I C I A N
>>
File: dante sequentia.jpg (13 KB, 204x198) Image search: [Google]
dante sequentia.jpg
13 KB, 204x198
OK, this is a very tricky recording to understand with no thorough background in Dante (aka me). Apparently he compiled songs in Occitan language that were written before his birth in a compilation titled De Vulgari Eloquentia. This compilation allowed the pieces of music to live on or so says some dude who made a proper academic review for the album. Sequentia’s performance is a slight approximation of what the original sounded like with 2 fiddles and a harp.

The tunes sound interesting, considering they are 700+ years old. The fiddle motifs remind me of what my mind associates with Anglo-saxon traditional music. Some of the performances on here are acappela monophonic vocal performances. They are amplified by the acoustics of the abbey they were playing in. The instrumental counterpart tend to concentrate on droning during the singing passages but switch to melodic shivers when soloing. It also has the final soloing piece that just concentrates on the harp and 2 fiddles. It is very pretty and once again raises some similarities with the folk music i mentioned above.

The record was enjoyable but lacked the divine touch (aka exciting compositions) outside of the final instrumental piece. The vocal performances were good but didn’t strike me with nothing special. Interesting historic pieces though and I’m looking forward to more Sequentia performances (possibly) tomorrow.

6+/10
>>
File: Screenshot 2015-12-29 19.01.58.png (2 MB, 1554x1386) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2015-12-29 19.01.58.png
2 MB, 1554x1386
Thundercat album was p good. Obviously shares similarities with FlyLo and Kendrick, but oddly I found that some of the songs reminded me of Slint. Like a funk Spiderland. Maybe because it has pretty standard funk instrumentation, but the rhythms and lyrics are unusual. Dunno. I liked it.
>>
Just started the new Diiv album. I feel like I might get disappointed but I'm still hype.
>>
>>61350449
>mfw I still haven't heard this
>>
>>61347008
wow you still post hee goddamn nigaer
>>
File: cover.jpg (44 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
44 KB, 600x600
Bu mp
>>
File: 3888b11924defeb5881ed6c58970e207.jpg (830 KB, 1470x1312) Image search: [Google]
3888b11924defeb5881ed6c58970e207.jpg
830 KB, 1470x1312
Damn /daily/, y u so dead.

Also, help me fill up my next chart with your shitty 2015 recs.
>>
>>61355307
stara rzeka, not much spots left so only that
>>
File: Deerhunter-Halcyon-Digest[1].jpg (91 KB, 608x600) Image search: [Google]
Deerhunter-Halcyon-Digest[1].jpg
91 KB, 608x600
Halcyon Digest (2010) by Deerhunter, recommended by Dam's-jans

Gorgeousness, interrupted. Quite early, too: the opening 'Earthquake' is one of the most breathtaking tracks I've heard all year. Building from the smallest, most innocuous blocks of individual MIDI drum sounds into an awesome, perpetually-crashing wave of echoing guitars and radiant synths, before tiding back out again: it's like a not-quite-real dream within a dream that swallows and disintegrates without sentience. This intoxicating blend of pedals and synths and processed voices is almost delirious, so when it abruptly vanishes for most of the album up until the closer, I can't help but feel irked.

The replacement isn't bad, but it's so disappointing after such a strong opening. Most of these tracks are jarringly upbeat and rather basic by comparison. The tone is something like a Beck minus the rapping and goofiness, but with added cooler-than-you and indie cred; or a less sleek Wilco perhaps. Hints from 'Earthquake' shine through the cracks: a penchant for pungent enharmonic substitutions by thirds in the progressions, and some occasional textural experiments. The balance between what could be Monkees covers and the opening salvo is nicely mediated in a single like 'Helicopter', which is also a top pick.

It's an album of two halves, then, so the problem is that I know quite well which half I prefer. Still, if it's an uneven listen all the way through, even the worst tracks are merely forgettable rather than bad. What counts is that the final product is more than respectable and merits at least a couple of listens. I'll have to work at reconciling the different sounds on offer to myself.
>>
File: zimerman-rattle-lutoslawski[1].jpg (175 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
zimerman-rattle-lutoslawski[1].jpg
175 KB, 500x496
>>61355307
again then
>>
>>61355307
Sissy Spacek - Brath
>>
File: Term and S.png (2 MB, 1255x682) Image search: [Google]
Term and S.png
2 MB, 1255x682
CCCP Fedeli alla Linea - Affinità-divergenze fra il compagno Togliatti e noi: Del conseguimento della maggiore età (1986)
>post-punk, art punk

Extremely idiosyncratic italian commie-punk. So basically someone went in my mind and created the music I've been dreaming of for all these years. Its not as good as I want it to be, but its still a good, nearly great, album. The use of drum machines in place of acoustic drumming is interesting but the sounds don't exactly mesh well with the more heavy hitting guitar and bass. The band displays an exceptional talent for mixing punk energy and aggression with pop songwriting (specifically on "Mi ami? (Remiscelata)" and the best track "Curami"), and I have to commend the album for that. And the last track is pretty cool, in its proto-post-hardcore-ness. The poppy bits are nowhere near as good as the punky bits though, resulting in a bit of an uneven record.

3.0+
>>
File: BAG CHART.png (870 KB, 840x941) Image search: [Google]
BAG CHART.png
870 KB, 840x941
The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Part One (1967)
>psychedelic rock

Pretty neat psych that's indebted to The Byrds more than to Hendrix or Blue Cheer. Nothing here that makes the record stand out from other psych from this era, but "I Won't Hurt You" is a great track. Forgettable, but nice.

2.5+
>>
>>61355482
As a fan of most of Deerhunter's output, I definitely agree with you. They tend to bring out some blandish indie tunes in order to feel an album.

An interesting fact about the album is that it was produced by the same guy who produced AnCo's MPP which explains the MIDI synth madness that pops up. I expected them to make more songs like Earthquake but they're not that kind of band at the end of the day.

That being said, you need to listen to Cryptograms and Weird Era Cont. because they contain a whole lot less indie bullshit and a whole lot more experimentation and more of the elements that you like.
>>
File: Me Demarco.png (277 KB, 426x570) Image search: [Google]
Me Demarco.png
277 KB, 426x570
This new Diiv album is mega Sonic Youth influenced, which isn't a bad thing considering I really enjoy both bands.

>>61356775
Yeah I get the sense that he would probably like Cryptograms given that a lot of it is on the atmospheric side.
Helicopter such a good song, I wish they could release an album of songs that good.
>>
File: the-days-within.jpg (100 KB, 992x992) Image search: [Google]
the-days-within.jpg
100 KB, 992x992
>>61349184
>>61355307
Vert - The Days Within
>>
>>61356090
N O N E W Y O R K
O

N
E
W

Y
O
R
K
>>
File: decuckber.jpg (262 KB, 880x630) Image search: [Google]
decuckber.jpg
262 KB, 880x630
White Suns - Totem
~7/10
actively listened to this and kind of did a track by track review until i realized it all sounds the same. it's not bad, but i feel like their ideas/concepts never expanded, unless thats what they wanted. i'd prefer +1 hr album w/ long ass tracks or a bunch of short ones, but i guess it depends on exactly what theyre going for: a punk/hardcore derivative or is it just noise rock? there were some really good parts but they are short-lived, and the changes in sound 3 times within a 5 minute song is p annoying. its a decent brutal, chaotic, noise-core album. fav tracks: clairvoyant, carrion, cathexis
>>61349184
>>61355307
21 Savage - The Slaughter Tape for hippity hop aoty
>>
File: christian scott stretch music.jpg (73 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
christian scott stretch music.jpg
73 KB, 700x700
>>61349184
>>61355307
motherfuckers learn to use lists.
>>
BAG CHART.png
870 KB, 840x941
Jokers - Jokers (2010)
>heavy psych, jam band, blues rock, hard rock

Uninspired, amateur, and horribly produced—especially the nearly inaudible vocals—but dammit its got charm! The nearly 15-minute long "Jokers Theme" would be a banging track if it was like 7 or 8 minutes, but it overstays its welcome and eventually just devolves into masturbatory jamming with little to no actual substance. The other 3 tracks are servicable, but not special.

2.0+

>>61357364
N E X T

>>61357449
you should do jewels of thought or riley/kronos next.
>>
File: hyewie.png (372 KB, 779x442) Image search: [Google]
hyewie.png
372 KB, 779x442
Oh god i'm not even half through my review and I'm not sure whether I'm cut out for this. Curse this limited vocabulary, poor eloquence and exhausted frame.

If anyone cares I can just give you the gist (it's really fucking good) or parts of what I have so far.
>>
File: Freeform Chart.png (362 KB, 1560x720) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart.png
362 KB, 1560x720
i'm loving this freeform chart, i can finally whittle down my immense backlog

Gyedu Blay Ambolley - Simigwa (1975)
>highlife, afro-funk

I guess I expected something a bit more insane based on the RYM review of "Ol Dirty Bastard's African uncle.", but Ambolley's vocal stylings are more reminiscent of a discount James Brown than an African ODB. And I love James Brown, but Ambolley is ripping him off pretty hardcore. It does fit the music pretty well, although I like my highlife a bit more "african" and not so dependent on characteristics of Western funk and blues rock. Still a pretty good album, but nothing I'd return to very often.

>>
File: 1229152223a.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1229152223a.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Listened to a load of old Edith Piaf songs today, she was such a great singer. And my death grips shirt arrived! I wonder if it will help me meet paranoid nihilistic qt3.14s?

What are you listening to tonight, daily? I'm presently all cozy in bed listening to even oxen, again.
>>
File: _20151230_000554.jpg (650 KB, 2521x2432) Image search: [Google]
_20151230_000554.jpg
650 KB, 2521x2432
>>61358816
cool shirt but mine is cooler tbqh

I'm about to put on some songs ohia and get melancholy comfy
>>
anomalisa hurt
>>
>>61359517
ooh but was it good? it looks really good.
>>
which one of you guys manages this?
https://rateyourmusic.com/~c1710063
>batfinks
>even oxen
was just thinking

>>61355307
>>61349184
the ark work [2]
gliss riffer
the mindsweep
>>
>>61359545
its a bummer
everything it is about is becoming more and more apparent in my own life
>>
File: Freeform Chart.png (399 KB, 1560x720) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart.png
399 KB, 1560x720
25,000 kittens - 25,000 kittens (2014)
>ambient, drone

So I'm a cat person, and I'm pretty sure the concept of making an ambient album as a tribute to 2 dead cats is the result of someone going into my brain and calculating the perfect thing that'd make me just burst into fucking tears. And the opening honestly comes close to making me do that, something about that snow-globe-esque music just makes me feel so nostalgic and sad. And this whole EP makes me feel that. A bit bland in terms of ambient/drone, but it makes up for it in feelings and comfiness. And there's samples of meowing and purring, which is really bittersweet. I'm gonna go hug my cat.

>>61359733
nice, i'm in the mood for a film like that.
>>
Thanks for the recs everybody.

>>61359733
Now I need to see it. Nothing better than having a movie ruin your day.
>>
File: 244075zoom.gif (35 KB, 1000x209) Image search: [Google]
244075zoom.gif
35 KB, 1000x209
Bumparone.
>>
just finished this. its v v close to perfect, exactly what i've been looking for. i really dont know what to say, listen to it. it sounds kinda sun ra-esque but imo much better.
i dont even know how to visualize its 'sound'.
maybe going back to ancient egypt/saharan africa except humans + aliens were niggas and its a limestone/sci-fi hybrid landscape; jazz was already invented by aliens and all they had were these tribal instruments (?). also i really liked Hum-Allah-Hum-Allah-Hum-Allah and the vocals, contrary to some other reviews.
+++9/10
>>61357449
woops forgot to rate nature unveiled, its a strong -8 but i need to relisten
>>61358035
ive already listened to the riley and desu not much of a fan of it or contemporary classical in general. i guess i really strive for a certain vibe/sound in classical, whether it be awe-inspiring gates of heaven shit or some feldman, and it kind of lacked that stand-out quality. will relisten eventually. 7/10
>>
bump to save
>>
>>61361818
return of the son of monster bump
>>
File: animal testing.jpg (21 KB, 229x80) Image search: [Google]
animal testing.jpg
21 KB, 229x80
Good Morning /daily/!

Here's the plan for the day:
>more Furtwangler
>that Ambarchi/Berthling album
>more Sequentia
>>
>>61354057
Wow... rood...
>>
File: december recap.png (1 MB, 1666x1000) Image search: [Google]
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
Alright, let's get this thing started.
Satanique Samba Trio - Mo Bad (except with an accent on the "o" but the only one I can giv you is a "ò" and it's just not gonna wok)
I'll have to take the easy way out here,but I have little other choice. I don't know anything about the sources of this album, the styles and genres it refers to and distorts and in this case it shows. I feel that it would not really be fair to try and judge it without it since it pretty clearly tries to bend a certain codification, the same way the Nihilist Spasm Band cannot really be judged without keeping in mind it's supposed to be a jazz band without instruments.
So, to make it simple
>I dun geddit
>>
>>61363331
>green - the days within
>green
vert is an english word too ykow
>>
File: 1451109631603.jpg (171 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1451109631603.jpg
171 KB, 960x1280
>>61360975
>>
File: Wilhelm_Furtwängler.jpg (33 KB, 372x543) Image search: [Google]
Wilhelm_Furtwängler.jpg
33 KB, 372x543
Same complaints about CD9 as yesterday. Symphony 2 is in shite quality while the 4th sounds great. This sucks because the second movement of the second is something I really like but the quality is distracting. The 4th has really good performances from the string sections, especially on the Adagio.
>>
>>61364235
lmao that's old people music smdh
>>
>>61364362
>old people music
more like dead people music ;^)
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
AL-90 - Code 915913
I'm digging this.
This is a neat collection of well crafted and detailed deep house tracks, all with a similar style of construction and atmospheric value, and it does well everything it tries to do. However, if the tracks taken separately might be fairly interesting, the album as a whole sounds very uniform, if not monotone : the direction taken by the music is always the same (aside perhaps from Samoudouvletovris' Suka that is a bit more percussive) : every track is soothing, spacious and hypnotic,but the effect of every of these characteristics is lost in the mass and the whole album ends up feeling uneventful.
Still a nice listen.

>>61363411
I know,but that sure isn't going to stop me from doing shitty jokes,if you can even call it that.
>>
you know what the cool kids do?
they come to SYNCTUBE!!!
>>
>>61365348
trufax
>>
>>61359517
>>61359733
sorry to hear that. I thought it was pretty funny.
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire
Oddly enough, I think I can repeat a lot of what I just said since this album suffers from the same issue.
We have the typical Lightning Bolt sound here, loud, fast and pretty blurry. maybe a tad too blurry at time.
Some might say that the old pots make the best soups (or maybe it's the other way arround, I dunno) but in this case that might not be the case.
To put it simply, this album suffers from its lack of dynamics. with the exception of the interlude track Leave the Lantern Lit, everything, and I do mean everything on this album always has a constant level of loudness. no exception. from start to finish you are attacked by a wall of distorsion and a bright snare. And it gets repetitive after the second track. Hopefuly there are still some interesting parts thanks to a good rythmic play, but without that and with these annoyingly distorded vocals, the album would have been plain boring.
>>
File: not this shit again.jpg (53 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
not this shit again.jpg
53 KB, 604x604
Listened to Tongue Tied and it didn't click at all. Will revisit later today cause it's short.

I am very pissed that the Sequentia edition boxset does NOT include the booklets for each CD. I bought the damn thing, at least include download codes for pdfs or something...
>>
Fantastic, inventive arrangements and clever (if paradoxically formulaic) songwriting mean that this ought to be near perfect. For some people it probably is, but something's missing for me. A sustained atmosphere perhaps, or a slither of authenticity. Extremely listenable but not quite loveable. 'Nobody's Baby Now' is a standout.
>>
>>61365631
>>61355482
damsjans wins
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
Liturgy - The Ark Work
I'm not sure what I liked the least, the "grand" MIDI instrumentation, the completely disattached and unengaging vocals, the electronic tracks that would not be out of place on Suicitesheep's youtube Channel, the parts that alternate between math rock and black metal without the energy of the first or the expressivity of the second.
This album is a compelte mess that tried hard to in several direction at once without knowing how, and knowing too much why. style over substance with an unsufferable, amateurish style.
>>
>>61365631
>not mentioning who recommended this
>choosing the incorrect record
burn in hell!
>>
reviews inbound once I've finished this (fantastic) Boo Radleys record

>>61366211
>>61366423
toppest mems of the day
>>
>>61366461
Silly Thomas, liking meme is the meme, not liking meme is not a meme.
You should meme more, you clearly don't get it right now.
>>
>>61366607
tbqh i thought you mercilessly panning the meme was pretty funny
>>
>>61366423
oops, sorry. who recommended it?
>>
>>61366809
I did you dip :0
>>
File: 000backlog.png (2 MB, 1162x1205) Image search: [Google]
000backlog.png
2 MB, 1162x1205
New chart time
Fill those 6 spots up with some good drone, /daily/.
>>
>>61367169
Time Machines - s/t
>>
>>61367169
Time Machines - s/t
mohammad - roto vildblomma
>>
>>61367169
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/keiji_haino_sitaar_tah_/animamima/
;^)
>>
>>61367179
>>61367188
I've already heard Time Machines - s/t please don't start this meme again
>>
>>61367169
>two best Unwound
nice man I rec Julius Ceasar by Smog
>>
>>61367188
>>61367194
thanks, added to the chart

>>61367219
already listened to it
>>
>>61367169
Time Machines - Time Machines
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
Tigran Hamasyan - Luys I Luso
All I can say is, it sounds good.
I have no idea what this thing tries to do, what it is supposed to do, what I am supposed to pay attention to, what parts of it are supposed to be backings, what is supposed to be driving, etc.
But at least it sounds good. I don't get it, I can't even say I like it, but it sounds good.
>>
File: discogs.jpg (644 KB, 820x1025) Image search: [Google]
discogs.jpg
644 KB, 820x1025
>David Bowie - Hunky Dory
I mean, I probably shouldn't be surprised as it's tagged glam rock, but this sounds like some pretty boring overproduced pop rock with the only truly 'artsy' aspect being in the piano presence. I probably wouldn't be grossed out as much had it not sounded like fucking proto-hair metal (which, to his credit, isn't Bowie's fault). Oh well, underneath all the cheese and aged sounding production there's still some decent pop tracks and the last song was really good. I am just really, really, really surprised at this being universally regarded as a 10/10 classic.

>Feelies - Crazy Rhythms
Fun, upbeat, jangly post-punk. It's short but sweet but it leaves just enough room for some longer atmospheric explorations every now and then which makes for a nicely varied listen. The drums steal the show here, cranking out one infectious beat after the other, ranging from rapid-fire tribal sounding madness to simplistic motorik inspired stuff. Pretty sure they make for most of the energy on this already hugely energetic record.
Good shit.

>The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
Oh hey, it's a long-ass ambitious kaleidoscopic psych pop album. And hey, even though it manages to display a pretty wide array of styles and moods (from dub reggae to Beatlesque pop to noise rock), the Boos never stray far from their signature noisy britpop sound, and as such manage to keep this album from becoming a scatter-brained mess. It's long and dense though and it would've been better off with some additional trimming - 17 fully developed pop songs in 65 minutes is a lot to take in. Even though it never dips in terms of quality (as far as I could discern on first listen anyway), it's hard to keep paying attention throughout its full runtime.
Still, this was a fantastic record that I'm fairly sure will become a favorite as soon as it's properly sunk in.
>>
File: markhollis.jpg (143 KB, 1039x1052) Image search: [Google]
markhollis.jpg
143 KB, 1039x1052
>>61367169
looks fun as fuck, pic related if you've still got room
>>
>>61367169
Alan Licht - Plays Well
>>61367418
>drone
>>
>>61367444
>Plays Well
>doesn't
mamma mia
>>
File: AYAHUASCA.jpg (52 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
AYAHUASCA.jpg
52 KB, 500x491
>>61367444
oh shit i just saw /daily/ recs
>>61367169
round 2
>>
>>61367482
>not realizing he actually plays "Well" by Captain Beefheart
mamma mia
>>
>>61367581
:chegged:
>>
File: eruditeys final 2015 catchup.png (561 KB, 680x910) Image search: [Google]
eruditeys final 2015 catchup.png
561 KB, 680x910
>Swans - The Gate

I liked the live songs on this quite a lot, the recordings were very well done. I'm just really not that much of a Swans nerd to appreciate the demos, I thought they were quite useless. If you liked TBK, you'll like this record, though, as most of the songs are from there.

6-7/10

>Merzbow/Gustafsson/Pandi/Moore - Cuts of Guilt, Cuts Deeper

The fourth song really ruined this for me. I'm not that well-versed in noise to really comment on this, but for me at least the first 3 tracks really blew that one out of the water.

6-7/10

What y'all listening to? I'm listening to this Ramleh record. I'd heard it was a noise rock record and it actually sounds exactly what I would expect a Ramleh noise rock record to sound like.
>>
hellofriends
>>
>>61367921
I am listening to Harper by The Driftwood Bones because it is a good song and because I'm the first one to show up to work.
>>
>>61367931
Hello.
>>
>>61367931
welcome bacc etc
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
Kronos Quartet plays Terry Riley's Sunrise of the Planetary Dream Collector.
I did not like this. It did not interest me at all, I was constantly watching for the remaining time, and the worst thing is I cannot explain why.
There is nothing bad here, nothing unpleasent, but the problem is that there was nothing that got me interested, nothing that provoked any sort of reaction. I did not like this, though I don't think I can say I disliked it either. I am just completely indifferent towards anything that was on there.
>>
File: 000backlog.jpg (358 KB, 1162x1205) Image search: [Google]
000backlog.jpg
358 KB, 1162x1205
still need 2 more drone recs for this
>>
>>61368321
Time Machines....II?
>>
File: R-2587615-1293563771.jpeg.jpg (100 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
R-2587615-1293563771.jpeg.jpg
100 KB, 600x597
>>61368321
In case you haven't already heard it (you probably have)
>>
>>61368330
there is no Time Machines II wtf
>>
File: Time Machines II.jpg (81 KB, 320x246) Image search: [Google]
Time Machines II.jpg
81 KB, 320x246
>>61368364
huh
huh
huh
What's this then?
>>
>>61368364
Yeah there is.
>>
>>61368362
actually I haven't, but I've had it saved in my computer for a while so I'll add it

>>61368388
>>61368404
holy shit yes im adding that
>>
>>61368415
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/peter_christopherson
>>
>>61368415
You should listen to Raag Drone Theory by Alio Die & Zeit.
>>
000backlog.png
2 MB, 1162x1205
This is the complete chart! How does it look?

>>61368436
Chart's already been filled but I'll check it out
>>
This version of Holter's In The Green Wild is even better than the album version. That moment at 1:03 is really satisfying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW99wU9edAg
>>
File: 2408215.jpg (28 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
2408215.jpg
28 KB, 300x297
>>61368494
Needs more Sondre Lerche and modest mouse, tee bee aitch
And pic related, you aren't one of us til you hear it
>>
>>61368494
It's nice, but you could easily make the nmh demos one album.
>>
>>61368620
I've already heard all the Modest Mouse albums, except for Interstate 8
I've been avoiding that owl album since I got here but I guess it's finally time to listen to that, I'll add it to the chart

>>61368640
good idea actually
>>
>>61368610
she's great live desu
>>
File: MI0001168954.jpg (85 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
MI0001168954.jpg
85 KB, 500x496
More Sequentia! This time they try to tackle 12-14th century English songs. No idea what language they are performed in, definitely not “English” per se. It seems like the ensemble did another huge personal reinterpretation of whatever texts were available and threw harp,fiddles and (attention) hurdy gurdy over it. There are moments of polyphonic vocal performances, but for the most part it is the classic Sequentia monophony set to a droning backdrop.

The interesting bit is in the techniques used to approximate the instrumental carcass to the texts.

>For the pieces on this record we have made use of simple dance forms, such as the rondeau (“Edi be thu, heven-queene”, Nr. 3) estampie (Oxford MS, Nr. 5 on this record), and the more complex lai (“Arne kuth ich sorghe non”, Nr. 13 on this record). The instrumental arrangements were made by Margriet Tindemans, using melodic material from the vocal pieces whose titles they bear. Sometimes melodies from related songs were added; at other times we made and improvised new melodies while staying as close as possible to the original material.

I think reconstructing historical pieces like this is incredibly interesting. The sound itself is also cool, especially with the acappela vocal performances and the instrumental pieces. My main highlight is the 11 minute Worldes Blis Ne Last No Throwe that features some great vocal performances along with pretty harp sections. My problem is how clumsy the language sounds when singing but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

It’s good.

7/10
>>
>>61368656
>except for Interstate 8
but that's literally the best MM release, getcho ass on that RIGHT NOW
>>61368712
seconded
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
Oren Ambarchi and Johan Berthling - Tongue Tied
Maybe I was not careful enough while listening, but overall, this felt like a good frame for something more complete. Ambrachi and Berthling can certainly build a certain ambiance together, but they do very little with it once it is settle, aside from repeating it over and over with some occasional shy agrements and panicked salvas that could have been the start of something captivating,but decided to abort the mission before they could go anywhere.
Too bad.
>>
000backlog.png
2 MB, 1162x1205
>>61368774
>>61368620
are you guys happy now
>>
>>61368885
yes.
>>
File: 12-30.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1440) Image search: [Google]
12-30.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1440
I should finally have some time to listen to some more of this stuff now that I'm not as busy.

Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns (1998)

I have a hard time enjoying a lot of math rock like this, where it's just technical walls of calculated and precise guitar, bass, and percussion. I guess my main issue with What Burns was that the album as a whole didn't seem to go anywhere, it felt like some sort of technical exercise, not something that was meant for listening. I get that that's the point of math rock, that it's extremely technical but what's the point of technicality if it's not backed up by enjoyable songwriting? I didn't completely hate the whole thing obviously, there were a couple decent moments here and there where it really felt like it was chugging along but those moments were few and far between. 3/10
>>
one last rec for my january chart gogogogo rec me the best record of all time
>>
File: 0 Songs EP.jpg (14 KB, 291x300) Image search: [Google]
0 Songs EP.jpg
14 KB, 291x300
>>61369186
>>
>>61369186
Dead - Musical Abortions
>>
File: R-3601630-1337271531-6195.jpeg.jpg (128 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
R-3601630-1337271531-6195.jpeg.jpg
128 KB, 500x500
>>61369186
>>
>>61369198
>>61369217
>>61369224
Wow guys you really did it this time!
>>
File: tkttk.jpg (71 KB, 488x500) Image search: [Google]
tkttk.jpg
71 KB, 488x500
>>61369186
not gonna meme here
>>
>>61369326
>implying Key To The Kingdom isn't also a meme
I'll put it on there, thanks!
>>
>>61369456
but its the most beautiful damn meme on the planet
>>
Grün - The Days Within
This album makes two big mistakes during its first third : thinking it can be catchy, and thinking its vocal can be a driving element.
but it takes a moment for it to focus on other things. Once it does, it becomes a good, somewhat immersive bunch of more or less abstract electronic tracks that deliver on the expresivity if not clear synesthesy (courtesy of old mariner songs it takes some musical inspiration from) more than it does on the melodic or rythmic side.
An itneresting listen,and a project that shows potential.
>>
Been busy for the past few days, and will continue to be busy for the next few days, bbs

>>61349275
ayy, it's catching on

>>61363331
I think it's just supposed to be frantic, experimental jazz. At the very least, I know it's coming from a jazz background. Their wikipedia page (in Spanish) lists a bunch of modern classical composers as influences though:
>https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanique_Samba_Trio

>>61369186
John Fahey - The Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
>>61369686
hurr
>>
>>61369706
>Their wikipedia page (in Spanish)
>IN SPANISH
>IN SPANISH
>IN SPANISH

STOP THIS
>>
>>61369737
Have you listened to Never Were The Way She Was?
>>
>>61369761
>spanish
>>
File: 1448540290052.jpg (39 KB, 620x682) Image search: [Google]
1448540290052.jpg
39 KB, 620x682
>>61369761
>>
>>61369885
Yes.
Actual contender for AOTY too. Good stuff.
>>
>>61369951
What other contenders do you have for AOTY? and yeah it's pretty great but then I'm a huge Stetson fan so I'm kind of biased, check out his New Histore Warfare: Judges if you haven't already
>>
BAG CHART.png
870 KB, 840x941
Various Artists - No New York (1978)
>no wave

Wow, I expect Eno's production to be a lot cleaner than this. A lot of this album sounds like a buzzsaw getting drilled into yr ears, but in a good way. Each of these 4 artists has 4 songs on the compilations, and 75% of them are good, but then there's the disposable Teenage Jesus, sounding just like a more streamlined and less memorable version of the Contortions. DNA is my favorite here, Arto Lindsey is a bonafide guitar god, and all the songs have a phenomenal tribal rhythm to them, and a certain amount of pure anger. Oh, and Mars is good as well, but not very memorable. Unbalanced but still a good comp.

>>
>>61370185
Not many; I didn't pay much attention to recent releases. Shit, come to think of it that whole year was a damn mess.
Anyway
Maybe one of the Heino, Amborchi and O'Rouke albums; I might be the oly one but I did like the new Sunn and the new ELO. the last Uncommon NASA album was pretty good too.
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
21 Savage - The Slaughter Tape
I'm not all that crazy about the whole drill/trap thing. In most of what I've heard the "spacious" instrumental tend to be a bit too empty for their own good, and putting the focus on an MC who is in the best cases full of energy but not of grey cells is not exactly something that interest me.
This takes the same sort of road apparently, even though on the slower and less agrssive tracks, the reverb-drowned textures actually manage to create a certain depressed and gloomy atmosphere that can be interesting and caught my ear.
Although a couple more listens would be necessary to really make sure since I can't understand 75% of any english-speaking hip hop album at first listen.

Now if you don't mind, I've been listening to your stuff for almost 9 hours straight, so I'll take a break, go get some stuff to eat, walk a bit and rest my ears.
>>
>>61370792
I do mind actually. Stay and listen to Musical Abortions please.
>>
>>61369761
Alright, in Mexican then
>>
herb guy wins
>>
>>61371326
nice i guess
what's the restriction for the next rec?
>>
>>61371782
500 - 5000 rym rates
>>
File: calllllll.png (2 MB, 1666x1718) Image search: [Google]
calllllll.png
2 MB, 1666x1718
who /nextmonthcalendars/ here?
>>
>>61372024
Hopefully nobody.
>>
>>61372024
Nobody.
/daily/ dies in 2016.
>>
File: 1382109596983.png (12 KB, 197x191) Image search: [Google]
1382109596983.png
12 KB, 197x191
>>61372085
>>61372105
that's the spirit!
>>
>>61372024
>making calendars
>listening to music
"lol"
>>
>>61372120
can i download this image please.
>>
File: l'amor c'est l'amor.png (3 MB, 1680x1757) Image search: [Google]
l'amor c'est l'amor.png
3 MB, 1680x1757
>>61372024
whop whoop

>>61372085
>>61372105
fucc u guys :^)
>>
>>61372187
kk bb
>>
>>61372199
How embarrassing!
>>
>>61371991
Amon Duul II - Yeti
>>
>tfw (that feel when)

music for this tfw feel?
>>
>>61372384
The Best Of Marcel Marceau
>>
>>61372384
You know the one...
>>
>>61372199
>crystalbird remix
>third-wave thursday
why are you doing this to yourself
>>61372384
f(x) - 4 Walls
>>
>>61372424
>, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have
>>
>>61372411
but who decides who is best?
maybe I will listen to all of it and decide what is
>>61372413
this one?
>>61372424
sry im not a weeb pedophile
>>
>>61372482
It starts with an "M" and ends with a "usical Abortions".
>>
>>61372464
aight, why don't you venture out of your comfort zone by dedicating the next month to solely nu-metal and post-grunge
>>61372482
you never know
>>
>>61372024
i dont have a calendar but i made this chart
>>61368885
>>
>>61372525
>implying those are out of my comfort zone
quit being such a stick in the mud
>>
File: 1436657056415.jpg (5 KB, 145x194) Image search: [Google]
1436657056415.jpg
5 KB, 145x194
>>61372525
>not cybergrind and jangle pop
>>
File: aureliano5.png (1000 KB, 1000x1027) Image search: [Google]
aureliano5.png
1000 KB, 1000x1027
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
[2008]

It's definetly enjoyable and by no means a bad listen. The instruments are played well and there are some sparks of beauty spread around, but it's not ringing a bell with me.
I guess it has an approach where it focuses on a single instrument, then moves into another and focuses onto that; while I would have preferred equal space and attention to each one, if that makes sense.
Also i prefer the first three tracks, I kind of feel they have the most personality.
I'll write another review if it gets me, i guess.
>>
>>61372521
Masada Anniversary Edition, Volume 2: Voices in the Wildernessusical Abortions?
>>61372525
maybe u never kno if i ever kno....................
>>
>>61372684
Yes, that one. Very good album.
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
For some reasons, I feel like a track by track comment would be fitting seeing how everything can stnd on its own
>Surprise in Beijing
A fairly average flute-centered track that only shines through thanks to its jungle-like percussions, and not necessarly in a good way as the conrtast of textures between rythmic session and melodic drive is not pleasant.
>Twin
The double trumpet was a good idea in theory. In practice, the execution just comes off as annoyingly loud and unnecessary.
>Perspectives
Would sound like any other Davis wannabe if it erent for the synth backing that instead gives the track a fairly cheesy new-age aftertaste.
>West of the West
Inserting jazz into rock music can work, as proved by fusion bands like the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Inserting rock into jazz doesn't work, as proved by the dysfunctionnal, forced guitar groove of this track and the clumsy rythmic duality.
>Liberation Over Gangsterism
This time, the contrast the opener trie works. nice balance between percussive rythmics and strong melodies.
>The Corner
The mixing of the bass and drums focusing on the noise of the instrument and parasites rather than the notes is here to make it clear (in case you didn't already get it) that this album is here to make a statement.
>Off A New Cool
Could be a lot nicer if everything was not so loud. Seriously, it's hard to imagine that a saxophone played that smoothly could come off so agressive, and the lack of nuances on the piano is getting painful.
>Runnin' in 7's
Mandatory percussion-only track. Nothing to write home about.
>>
File: mortimer 0001.jpg (8 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
mortimer 0001.jpg
8 KB, 100x100
>>61372817
>Tantric
Somewhere between new-age synth music and trap rap, there is this song. The overlapse is surprizing,but the surprise itself is not enough to make a very compelling experience sadly.
ESPECIALLY with the synth backing, soloist trumpet and epileptic snare being off-scale with each other.
>The Last Chiftain
As a wise man once said "Try, fail,tri again, fail again, fail better."
This track tries to blend some rock inspiration into the New-Orleans brass music it draws inspiration from. Instead of a two-headed mess, we have a flexible if not spongious mess.
>The Horizon
The resemblance with middle-o-the-road Squarepusher tracks is uncanny, and no, that is not a good sign.

This album could have been muh better if everyone had shown a bit more patience : what we have here is a typical case of trying to elaborate on some ideas you haven't clearly defined or experimented with, so you go with the first interpretation and stick to it instead of taking a certain necessary step back to analyse the first result and improve on it.
Again, try, fail, try again, fail again, fail better.
>>
File: Y_Fsjal.png (2 KB, 299x276) Image search: [Google]
Y_Fsjal.png
2 KB, 299x276
>>61368885
So fucking happy

Enjoy!
>>
Saw Hateful Eight in 70mm, and it was bretty gud.
If you're a Tarantino fan, you'll probably like it.
If you're not, you'll probably hate it.

Anyway I'm listening to DJ Paypal - Sold Out and it's pretty bland.
Is it just me or does all footwork sound the same? Maybe it's just not my thing.
>>
>Fishmans - Uchū Nippon Setagaya

Fishmans take their style of dream dub that was perfected with Long Season and transport it into a pop setting.
All the songs here go slowly, they have big, deep basslines, moving grooves, the trademark androgynous voice of Shinji Sato and, most importantly, and overall kindness and cute aesthetic.
There is a nice amount of variety, with songs strongly influenced by reggae like Magic Love, other that would be the perfect soundtrack for a quiet morning, and other that are simply perfectly emotional (I'm talking about Weather Report, my favorite). And they all feel incredibly warm, human and sincere.
Yes, it is that nice and enjoyable.

But the problem is, it never goes above that level of enjoyability: it kinda never takes off, instead it remains (relatively) average. Here there aren't the beautiful crescendos and climaxes of Long Season, that not only are extremely pleasurable, but they also give you a lot of satisfaction.
Ok, it's not fair comparing this to Long Season, they are two different projects, but still: there isn't a moment when this record actually blows my mind. And maybe Fishmans simply didn't wanted a moment like that to be in here.

In the end, it's a very enjoyable project, and I will listen to it again in the future and who knows, maybe it will grow a lot on me.

7/10

>>61373771
I'm so fucking hyped for The Hateful Eight. Yes, footwork isn't a very diverse genre, at least for me.
>>
File: january.png (998 KB, 753x675) Image search: [Google]
january.png
998 KB, 753x675
Bill Evans Trio- Potrait in Jazz
I've never heard a jazz album with just a piano, bass and drums but I like the concept for sure. The minimal instrumentation leaves Evans's Piano playing to be front and center for the entire album, which is great because he is exceptional. I prefer Bill's take on Autumn Leaves to the one from Somethin Else.There's not a whole lot to say about this album, other than Evans is amazing on the piano, and I'm a fan of the fact that the only non rhythm section instrument is the piano.

3.5/5
>>
>>61373771
when it's done well it can be pretty cool
https://soundcloud.com/wearetar/dj-orange-julius-penetrate-dem-gutz
>>
>>61373984
>'ve never heard a jazz album with just a piano, bass and drums but I like the concept for sure.

so like every piano trio ever?
>>
>>61366211
>the parts that alternate between math rock and black metal
that pretty much only happened on the opener of this album
>without the energy [...] or expressivity
o.k. you were just listening to the wrong band

hyped for two more pans

>>61372424
>yfw when you realize crescendocore is actually pretty good
well, the yndi halda album is
>>61372525
>yfw face when you relize korn is actually pretty good
>>
>>61374087
the vocal delivery is completely one dimensional and flattened in the mix, the superfluous synth mash destroy all the dymanics, the playing is completely sub-par, I stand by My word.

And it's okay brer, I too get mad when people don't like what I like.
>>
>>61373972
If you're hyped you're going to love it. It's a Tarantino film through and through. Also, Samuel L. Jackson's best performance imo.

The only footwork albums I really liked are Kuedo - Severant and Machine Girl - WLFGRL.
Are those even "true" footwork albums? They seem so far removed from the genre.

>>61374048
Eh, I don't see what's special about this track in particular. I like the acoustic parts, but they didn't gel entirely well with the beats.
The best part on DJ Paypal is when a horn section comes out of nowhere and the organic sound weaves between the high bpm drum kicks. That was a rare moment.
>>
File: sd-laika-harakiri.jpg (248 KB, 590x590) Image search: [Google]
sd-laika-harakiri.jpg
248 KB, 590x590
This is some good shit right here

I want more of this good shit right here
>>
>>61374173
>ironically implying im unironically mad
>>
>>61374050
I guess so
what are some other notable piano trios
>>
>>61374285
Dead Fader - Scorched
>>
>>61374307
Thelonious Monk, mostly.

The jazz blindfold test actually had a piano trio theme this week so here's the tracklist for that:

1. Phineas Newborn jr., piano / Ray Brown, bass / Elvin Jones, drums - Cookin' at the Continental (from Harlem blues, 1969)

2. Bud Powell, piano / Charles Mingus, bass / Max Roach, drums - Cherokee (from Jazz at Massey Hall, 1953)

3. Walter Davis jr., piano / Pierre Michelot, bass / Kenny Clark, drums - 'round midnight (from Live au Dreher, 1981)

4. Bill Evans, piano / Chuck Israel, bass / Arnold Wise, drums - My foolish heart (from Bill Evans at Town Hall, 1966)

5. Duke Ellington, piano / Wendell Marshall, bass / Butch Ballard, drums - In a sentimental mood (from Piano reflections, 1953)

6. Ahmad Jamal, piano / Israel Crosby, bass / Vernell Fournier, drums - Autumn in New York (from Ahmad's blues, 1958)

7. Herbie Nichols, piano / Al McKibbon, bass / Max Roach, drums - The lady sings the blues (from Herbie Nichols trio, 1956)

8. Eddie Higgins, piano / Ray Drummond, bass / Ben Riley, drums - Stolen moments / Israel (from Haunted hearts, 1997)

9. Earl Hines, piano / Richard Davis, bass / Elvin Jones, drums - The Stanley Steamer (from Here comes Earl Fatha Hines, 1966)

10. Sonny Clark, piano / Paul Chambers, bass / Philly Joe Jones, drums - Be-bop (from Sonny Clark trio, 1957)
>>
>>61374307
Thelonious Monk Trio
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
Dan Deacon - Gliss Riffer
the main defining element of this album us the production style that, gotta give credit when credit is due, is fairly unique. problem is, the computerized synthetizers and vocal cut and paste quickly reaches its limitation and it looks like dan did not exactly realize it an instead ot trying to branch out and vary his palette of sound, kept forcing elements into roles they cannot exactly fit.
>>
>>61374371
heh they're not that alike...
>>
>>61374464
>>61374372
Nice to know, now I'm pretty excited for monk's dream
>>
>>61374201
Yes, I am a Quarantino fuccboi after all. I've only listened to WLFGRL and I don't really think you can tag it as footwork, since it draws inspiration from a lot of genres
>>
december recap.png
1 MB, 1666x1000
Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep
I'm not sure what was the best, the white boy's rap, the painful segmentation, the singing or how hard they tried to make things seem loud and violent with buttloads of overproduction and yet fail hard.
Very good meme. I give it 9 meme points out of 11.
Couldn't make it to the end though. I spend the whole first track lughing more than I had at any song this year.
Seriously, try to listen to this and keep a straight face : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUAgotnkrL4
(the video makes it even better too)
>>
>>61374995
>>
File: edited.png (1 MB, 1029x623) Image search: [Google]
edited.png
1 MB, 1029x623
>>61347512
copying u < 3
>>
>>61375075
I've already listen to 12 hours of music today.
I'm not sure I can make it through 2 more. I probably wouldn't be able to pay much attention to it so I'll do it tomorrow.
>>
>>61375186
ok,makes sense.
>>
I tried to listen to Dissection's Storm of Light's Bane but it just faded into the background

fuck the BM chart

I'll listen to somthing random
>>
why is literally every nin track at least a minute longer than it could justify
even big guy with a gun

>>61374471
that album had one major problem, it wasnt the saturated layering, but fucking none of the songs reached a satisfying conclusion

>>61374995
loaf
>>
>Godspeed You! Black Emperor - FA∞

A voice that narrates the end of the world open this record.
But don't be fooled: this is not your soundtrack for the apocalypse, it's your soundtrack for after the apocalypse.

Everything is bleak, everyone is defeated, and this record is this future putted into music. From anger to despair, to surrender, to acceptation, this album explores this landscape, this world that is about to happen.
Godspeed's writing and performance are another time unbelievable: the instruments play together in this hell, making the desolate soundscape move forward, with little variations, new motifs, layering, climaxes.

The vinyl version totally embraces the darkness, making for an intense listen: if you aren't in the mood, making your way through this dense desperation that almost never stops or changes can be extremely difficult, and I have to confess to that was extremely difficult for me too; I wasn't really into this record that much, I thought that I didn't "get" it despite still admiring its creativity and uniqueness.
But then I listened to the CD version.
This one is much more emotional: The Sad Mafioso..., Dead Metheny..., and J.L.H. Outro are beautiful, wonderfully constructed climaxes that are much more intense than other movements like Kicking Horse on Brokenhill or The Dead Flag Blues, since they are much more emotionally strong, more desperate than surrendered.
After that heart breaking experience, I think I finally got this record, I think that I finally embraced this record.

But I have a complain: The Dead Flag Blues (Outro).
It is the only thing that holds this album down: it's too upbeat, too cheerful, too happy, and it totally destroys the vibe that has been created since that moment. It doesn't make any sense.

It's an unique experience, still. It's heavy, it's intense, it tests you.
It's amazing.

9/10
>>
>>61376206
>It is the only thing that holds this album down: it's too upbeat, too cheerful, too happy, and it totally destroys the vibe that has been created since that moment. It doesn't make any sense.
I disagree; even after the apocalypse you'll have to find some sort of purpose. I feel that the outro demonstrates that. It's a desperate, half-hearted attempt to sound hopeful amidst all the rubble.
>>
>>61374307
how did nobody mention Vince Guaraldi?

>>61374471
this week on Mortimer hates music
>>
>>61376458
I thinked about that too, and I'm pretty sure this was actually their intention, to create the light at the end of the tunnel, even if that light is only temporary.
But it's still too upbeat and happy; seriously, play that little segment slower and I'll love it. It just feels out of place.
Also I should stop reviewing, since I get more pretentious every time
>>
File: Freeform Chart.png (437 KB, 1560x720) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart.png
437 KB, 1560x720
Nobunny - Love Visions (2008)
>garage punk, garage rock, lo-fi indie

This is like Blood Visions' happier, more carefree, and poppier cousin. I really hope that "Love Visions" was chosen as a title because of that. Throwing comparisons out the window, this is a solid, if monotonous and thematically constrained, garage record. Lotsa influence from bubblegum, which is really nice. But its too short, I feel that these songs and catchy melodies could be fleshed out more. Good, monotonous, and dumb vibes.

2.5+
>>
good night bump
>>
>>61359069
hey i have the same shirt
>>
nyarlathotep wins
>>
talking cat bob wins
>>
>>61380041
that is not news you fool
>>
I won
>>
>>61380067
it is for the second round
>>
>>61380308
oh. what did he rec?
>>
Anyone care to explain why I'm not doing reviews anymore?
>>
>>61380369
Chrome - Half Machine Lip Moves
>>
>>61380382
I got lazy
>>
>>61379040
What did I win and how
>>
>>61380930
i'll let one of these clowns fill you in
>>
File: january.png (996 KB, 753x675) Image search: [Google]
january.png
996 KB, 753x675
David Bowie- Young Americans
Bowie goes full soul, to an odd effect. The guitars and Stooges influence of Diamond Dogs is replaced with saxophone and backup singers. I assume that in 1975 this probably sounded pretty fresh, but 40 years later it sounds pretty cliche and old. The worst thing this album does is just lack Bowie's charm and spirit.

Also what's up with that Across the Universe cover?
2/5
>>
>>61376490
also isn't it a piano trio on Money Jungle?
>>
File: Hasture-its-2016.jpg (983 KB, 1576x999) Image search: [Google]
Hasture-its-2016.jpg
983 KB, 1576x999
>>61372024
>Yo

Your calendar looks comfy btw
>>
Holy shit. I just watched Mirror (Tarkovsky) and this could become my favourite film with repeated viewings, every thing was so fucking great, this really blew Stalker and Andrei Rublev out of the water imo.
Now I'm going to listen to the second disc of Seijaku's Last Live and hopefully I'll be able to listen to After Seijaku too so I can finish this chart.
>>
bump, tell me what you're listening too!
>>
>>61381573
>watches Tarkovsky
>listens to Haino
Congrats on being the most /11/ ITT.

>>61382711
The bleps on my phone.
>tfw blep is just pleb backwards
Hold me /yessir/.
>>
>>61380778
That's a shame, I always like reading my thoughts on things, more than most.
>>
>>61382711
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPtXW7L0dfQ
new E40, shit is bananas
>>
>>61382836
thank you! didn't say i was actually enjoying haino (though i am moderately)
>>
>>61382711
Mompou. Because despite abandoned review i can't stop listenin to this dude he too gud
>>
File: eruditeys final 2015 catchup.png (561 KB, 680x910) Image search: [Google]
eruditeys final 2015 catchup.png
561 KB, 680x910
One left, doing it now, hope it'll be gudddd.
>>
File: Polvo- Cor-Crane Secret (1992).jpg (14 KB, 209x209) Image search: [Google]
Polvo- Cor-Crane Secret (1992).jpg
14 KB, 209x209
HAPPY ALMOST NEW YEAR UCK CYOU

gimme some tho90 sgod 90s rock and math d and gurnge and shogez I just ant shit tha tike nobody hear in he90s tha'd be cool, I need to kick off today and tomroro wna dthe near year . Then I'l listne to some metla stuff

and ?I ANT POLYRYTHSM too, that shit could be rally col this album sucked
>>
File: 1450218264331.jpg (2 MB, 2068x1988) Image search: [Google]
1450218264331.jpg
2 MB, 2068x1988
Does anybody have a psychedelic flowchart? I've got the essentials list, but it just seems like to much to start out with.
>>
>>61383758
Crimson, The Mothers and The Velvets aren't even psych! Whole chart is flooded with inessentials, what the heck.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 143

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.