[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Record Store Stories >stroll over to Tunes in beautiful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1421168900878.jpg (44 KB, 535x332) Image search: [Google]
1421168900878.jpg
44 KB, 535x332
ITT: Record Store Stories

>stroll over to Tunes in beautiful Hoboken, NJ
>rather empty, few foxes in the indie section, Asian dude manning the checkout-desk as usual
>ask for some recommendations, tells me the new St. Vincent is "her best yet, some of the most experimental and beautiful..." goes on and on about a record he knows I've heard, even though I asked for recs
>tries to sell me on the Angel Olsen album, I'm not a big singer-songwriter dude, but otherwise I say "dude are you going soft on me?"
>He chuckles and reminds me my first ever purchase here was Coldplay when I was 16 years old
>quality bantz, I stroll over to the rock/pop section, looking for something to just pop out at me
>grab an early Fiery Furances record, based Gallowsbird Park, for 5 bucks used
>cute girl next to me holding a Grimes album, would judge her but it's the Halifax, fuck I want to compliment her taste
>smile and tell her "great album btw", saunter to the checkout section so I don't have to continue the convo
>towards the front there are shit-load of music books, nothing really sparks me but the Netural Milk Hotel 33 1/3 book is on sale for 10 bucks, grab it
>not even a mega-fan of the album, but heard that it's one of the better in the series
>Asian dude tries to call out me for my selections like usual, he tells me that Fiery Furnaces only made 3 good albums and they call came out in a row: Blueberry Boat, Rehearsing My Choir and Bitter Tea
>tell him that St. Vincent only made one good album and it was Marry Me
>I don't really believe that, but he gets defensive and tells me again to listen to s/t
>"No thank you, I prefer some edge to my music"
>Dude checks me out, I take a look at the cute girl stocking shelves, she has a nice ass, anyway perfect way to end the afternoon
>Hit up the Soup Hut and head home
>I fucking love New Jersey
>>
>>61205504
isn't this pasta

anyway, went to the record store to get the "new" Bjork album for my dad and found free Julia Holter and Joanna Newsom posters.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 589x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 589x403
>be at local record store
>typical mom and pop shop, rooted in classic rock
>all new CD releases are $15 and up
>look around for some post-punk recs
>No This Heat
>No Unwound
>No kraut rock at all
>find Pere Ubu tucked away behind a row of random junk, but it was fucking $17
>find Remain in Light and Fragile in the bargain bin.
>This old faggot at the register tells me that The Cramps were doing better things than the Talking Heads could even dream of.
>mfw
>>
>>61205985
He's right about the cramps kiddo
>>
>>61205941
"new" as in not vulnicura or "new" as in "pshhh it came out 11 months ago i've moved tf on"
>>
>>61206037
What's to like about the Cramps? I'm being serious here. Nothing they've put out sounds very good, let alone better than Talking Heads.
>>
>>61206199
Nah I agree. The aesthetic of the cramps as some sort of weirdo hitch-hiker psychobilly band is cool but the talking heads had much more interesting music. I just wanted to put my self in the shoes of that old dude for a sec
>>
File: Coming-From-Reality-cover.jpg (90 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Coming-From-Reality-cover.jpg
90 KB, 600x600
>>61205504
>2009 or 2010, don't remember
>go record store in NY
>I had been searching for 'Coming From Reality' for about a year with no luck
>enter this place, look EVERYWHERE
>no sign of Coming From Reality
>I give up
>pick up a Dylan record
>go to check out
>guy at the register tells me that he wanted to recommend me something, a record that no one else had heard about and was similar to what Dylan did
>pulls out none other than Rodriguez's Coming From Reality
>"Young man, trust me on this one. You'll love it"
>accept the offer (of course) w/o telling him I was searching for the album.
>destiny? fate? i dunno
>>
File: girugamesh_guy.png (173 KB, 630x374) Image search: [Google]
girugamesh_guy.png
173 KB, 630x374
>>61205504
Well, I found out the dude at the counter of 2nd Avenue records in downtown Portland was once the wardrobe manager for Tears For Fears, which I thought was kind of cool
>>
>>61206109
"new" as in Vulnicura

I didn't want anyone to think she came out with a newer album or complain that Vulnicura was basically 2014
>>
>>61205504
can someone post the copypaste-a of when the guy was working at the record store, and this nerd and a girl walk in. and the nerd gets flustered, and the girl says "its just a friend date"

the laughs that ensued were many, leaving a hearty guffaw for all ages!
>>
>>61205504
this is so annoying

get a diary
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.