[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DEVO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: devo_od2.jpg (34 KB, 896x583) Image search: [Google]
devo_od2.jpg
34 KB, 896x583
Pretentious artsy new-wave band or mankind's most important messenger?
>>
YOU DECIDE
(i read this as a 90's toy commercial voice)
>>
>>60953096
Conceptual band that started off freaky as FUCK and then made one of the greatest albums of the 70s, then fell off not too long after

Mothersbaugh is a fucking compostion monster though
>>
>>60953119
>>60953126
If you listen to ANY early Devo interview, especially ones with Gerry talking, he ALWAYS makes some sort of conceptual theory connection to the band and the world and his music. I don't find it as annoying as I should but when asked questions like "Why did the band fail?" he responds with stuff like "We always knew it would, thats what DE-VO is. It was the beginning of the end, etc etc.

He always talks like he's in a grad school thesis presentation.
>>
File: devo_od.jpg (40 KB, 813x587) Image search: [Google]
devo_od.jpg
40 KB, 813x587
>>60953096
>>
>>60953126
>then fell off not too long after
Devo fell off after Oh No! It's Devo! because the band ran out of ideas. People like to say it's because they went more electronic, but I disagree because Oh No! It's Devo! proves that they could make good music with electronics. Devo "devolving" into a more synthetic sound made sense anyway.
>>
File: 1447899994922.jpg (101 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1447899994922.jpg
101 KB, 600x600
tumblr-core now, but at one point before the internet 10 years ago they were cool. probably gonna be the next meme band like swans, death grips or COIL..maybe whatever else is popular with tumblr hipster who are "goth" and "edgy" co-opting and living vicariously through something that happened like 30 years ago cuz they saw it on tumblr XDD

but tl;dr i saw them 3 years ago for free and it was p.good...but it was also free so whateverz.
>>
somewhere in the middle of those two statements.

>>60953126
Q? is so overrated in my opinion. it's not that much different than the punk/new wave/early post-punk that was happening in the late 70s (musically), aesthetically, yeah they were certainly doing their own thing, but they were art students who fucked around in music. you can't even bring up the electronic argument because there's barely any synth in the Q? to me Duty Now was better than Q? but I prefer their 1980-1982 period best, both musically and lyrically.
>>
>>60953721
do they get posted on tumblr a lot? i don't go on there much. they already had memefans though, at least here in LA. I've seen them live several times since 06 and in the front there's always like the same devotees who got into them in the 90s or something. one of them is a dad who forces his kid to dress up like devo and then barricades his son from everyone else and uses his bear like body to push back against people having a good time behind him. it's pretty fucking terrible. i'm kind of glad devo is over now.
>>
>gerald casle just followed me on twitter
>i haven't even ever tweeted anything
I know he apparently follows a shit ton of random people, but that's still doesn't make me feel less weird about this situation.
>>
>>60953895
he's trying to sell you wine
>>
>>60953721
Nah, have you heard their last album? It just sounds like "8-bit" noise rock. A far cry from what Devo used to be.
"Mind Games" is the only decent song from Something for Everyone
>>
>>60953721
>before the internet 10 years ago
>10 years ago was 2005
Underage b&
>>
Not many know it, but the Toni Basil album Word of Mouth is kind of a Devo album. So yes, Devo are somewhat responsible for the song Mickey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Mouth_(Toni_Basil_album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tcJ1kPcXY
>>
>>60954062

first time i hear someone agree that 'mind games' is a good song. wish they had played that one live during the promo tour for SFE. have you listened to Something Else For Everyone? it's basically all of Casale's songs that got rejected, it's actually pretty good (some songs are even very reminiscent of FOC/NuTra era Devo)
>>
>>60954122
Damn I had no idea Toni was this experimental
>>
>>60954149
I'll check out Something Else thanks. I havent really gotten into the lyrics of the other songs, but it seems Mind games also has that kind of cynic relationship/society theme that Devo was well known for earlier.

As far as I know, Mark never wants to see Devo again but Gerry wants it to continue until he dies and will do whatever it takes to keep it afloat
>>
>>60954149
>>60954062
have you guys heard Jihad Jerry? It's what Gerry wanted new Devo to sound like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouu-h9jvix8

Mark didn't want it though. Mark is a pretty big dick. He reportedly the one he's stalling the Devo authorized documentary from coming out because it doesn't make him look good enough.
>>
(step on a crack)
BREAK YO MAMA'S BACK
>>
>tfw these plebs don't understand that DEVO fully planned their rise and fall (eventually making worse music on purpose)
>>
>>60954223
I meant Jerry, not gerry...
>>
>>60954122
Probably cause Gerry was porking her every night for the first half of the 80s
>>
>>60954223
Damn this is pretty interesting
>>
>>60954242
Yeah man it's all in the My Struggle book
>>
>>60954201
all accurate.

>>60954223
jihad jerry was cool when it first came out, but at the time everyone else was also doing the bush bashing so most people got bored of it pretty quickly.

yeah apparently the doc isn't coming out because of a hold up with Mark. doesn't surprise me if it's because it doesn't paint Mark in a very good light.

I mean, if you look back at the early Devo interviews, Mark was pretty much a subtle sexist asshole, so was Gerry but he tended to go off on a more conceptual tangent that made you forget lyrics like "i need a bitch to suck my dick".
>>
>>60954340
i have that pdf but i have a backlog of other books i'm reading atm, but it's basically mark unfiltered iirc. maybe the doc references it and that's why he's not keen to getting it released?
>>
File: devo-clip1.jpg (36 KB, 628x461) Image search: [Google]
devo-clip1.jpg
36 KB, 628x461
>>
>>60953721
how did they not get boners for that shoot.
I'd get a boner for sure.
>>
>>60954876
they might have made them take something to kill their boners before the shoot
>>
>>60954876

probably because it's an artsy fartsy photo shoot and the pretension keeps everyone from being stiff.
>>
I always saw their themes as more satyrical, tongue in cheek etc. than pretentious so it never bothered me. I mean if you think Devo is pretentious then I dont know man. Also they sang a lot about sexual frustration and it always resonated with me
>>
>>60954149
I'll say it too, I feel the album is vastly underrated.
I don't collect stuff after 1989, but this is one of the few things I have bought from this decade (that and Sparks' 'Creatures Of The Deep')
>>
>>60956589
/thread
>>
>>60953119
kek
>>
YEH YEH YEH YEH YEH YEH YEYEYEYEAAHHH
>>
D
>>
E
>>
V
>>
O
>>
>>60953126
>>60953699
Or more accurately, their image and the message of their songs was rooted in the 70s to the point where they inevitably lost relevance during the Reagan years.
>>
"Devo is no more costumed on stage than Bruce Springsteen."

-- Gerald Casale
>>
Xgau called them "Kiss or Meatloaf for college students who consider themselves too sophisticated for those artists."
>>
>>60954340
>mfw you realize what My Struggle translates to in German

That was intentional too I'm guessing.
>>
"[Whip It] is not about S&M, it's not about masturbation. Sorry, people."
>>
>>60954876
Maybe they jacked off before doing it. Empty nuts=no boner.
>>
>>60954223
>Mark didn't want it though. Mark is a pretty big dick. He reportedly the one he's stalling the Devo authorized documentary from coming out because it doesn't make him look good enough.

Mark is an asshole, he's also the reason why every single album after Oh No It's Devo is full of shit lyrics and horrible generic pop.
He banned Jerry from even going to the studio while they were recording most of Shout.
>>
File: devo_rip.jpg (1 MB, 1867x1867) Image search: [Google]
devo_rip.jpg
1 MB, 1867x1867
>>60959802
Oh No was the last good Devo and in my mind there are no albums after that one.
RIP
>>
>>60960484
i actually liek Smookth Noodle Maps and Shout! but i understand why no one else does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXMbSrUqzto
good song from SMN

also Dr. Detroit is their best song imo
>>
>>60960557
Underrated
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.