[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /mu/'s opinion of this album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: Confield.jpg (162 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Confield.jpg
162 KB, 1000x1000
What's /mu/'s opinion of this album?
>>
IMO this is Autechre's best work. their first two albums are enjoyable but I usually just get bored of them. same with Tri Repetae and Chiastic Slide. They're too conventional. the beats are too clear.
what makes Confield so great is how, while still clearly having a meter, it throws the listener on and off the meter with all the different syncopations and distortions. IMO it's a lot like TMR. most people listen to it and think it's just two dudes fucking around with dials randomly but it's actual carefully composed (well, programmed) pieces
>>
>>60642200
I don't know what it is but it's pretty good in a '4u' kind of way :)
>>
Autechre records are purchased solely by bald men in expensive anoraks who would masturbate to a car alarm if it was re-mixed by a German. This impenetrable curtain of misanthropic noise - released with an accompanying three-track DVD that features a squabble of hopelessly pretentious video "interpretations" - is typical of the menopausal electro-manglers' dogged refusal to bow to convention and produce anything of interest to anyone not either a) bald or b) German. It bleeps. It skronks. It krrraaaanks. But mainly, it blows like a ruddy awful hurricane. Remember, kids; if it sounds like a festering hillock of tune-shy bum-wank, it's because it IS a festering hillock of tune-shy bum-wank.

There are Autechre fans who, apparently, believe that Thom Yorke’s favourite electronica act record with military hardware. Such rumours are indicative of how Autechre obsessives see the duo: as shadowy secret agents working at the outer reaches of sound. In truth, while often hard work, Autechre albums have never been that forbidding. Their songs are ambient elusively experimental ear-tormenters. Still waiting for Autechre’s feel-good pop crossover album? Don’t hold your breath.
>>
>>60642286
>>60642237
thoughtltltalkinheads (~ even idont think its actually noise free either:) fieldsofreedom
>>
>>60642286
>NME
>>
>>60642313
Stop posting
>>
>>60642313
>shitposting in an autechre thread
>>
>>60642200
barely listen to this album. although i find it one of their best albums i tend to go for anything post confield most of the time.
>>
>>60642237
>IMO this is Autechre's best work. their first two albums are enjoyable but I usually just get bored of them. same with Tri Repetae and Chiastic Slide. They're too conventional. the beats are too clear. what makes Confield so great is how, while still clearly having a meter, it throws the listener on and off the meter with all the different syncopations and distortions. IMO it's a lot like TMR.

I can hear that, your reasons are good. I have the opposite feeling: I prefer their pre-Confield work* because that was still music for the body AND mind, experimental but still techno; with Confield they went full experimental and I think something's missing. I like Vi Scose Poise a lot, a few other tracks are good, but a lot tend to bore me. Maybe I'm just a lazy listener though.

* Exceptions include Amber (which I find too cold and not experimental enough, it's a friend's favourite but I don't like it much) and Gantz Graf, which is direct, short and intense, I really like that one a lot.

>>60642286
That was a funny read.
>>
It's great, really dunno what else to say. Some days it's my favorite by them, yet that changes a lot.

>>60642237
Keep trying with Chiastic Slide imo, it really is some of their best work and is a bit more distinct than you'd think - just maybe not "beat-wise." Ae never made an album exactly like it again, but it also shares some of Drafts sensibilities.

>>60644702
You know, I def get what you're saying, but imo some of their grooviest work and tracks came after Confield, yet maybe it's not as straightforward. You can't dance to Draft, yet it's recognizably (yet deconstructed) hip hop, Quaristice has some of the most techno and electro oriented tracks they've done, Move of Ten has straight up funky moments, and Exai might be one of their most accessible in this regard as well. It's just odd to me that people (not you in particular) think they've severed ties with dance, yet I imo some of their move recent stuff is way more dancey than, say, Chiastic Slide or LP5 or parts of Amber (like you mentioned). The roots are still very much there's- Confield is really the only time they went fully abstract.
>>
>>60642286
Good point, this is how I feel towards Confield. A lot of their other work is some solid ambient breakbeat though. Confield is undeniably wank.
>>
>>60642200
puts me to sleep
>>
I really enjoy this one and think it's their best. Listen on acid.
>>
>>60645035
i don't see how how it's wank, but i then again i never thought it was quite as odd or pretentious as people made it out to be. for being autechre's "coldest" album, it actually has some of my favorite melodies by them funnily enough. if they had a wanky album i'd say it was oversteps, it's like rob and sean got really high one day and said "let's just noodle some twinkly shit around"
>>
File: 1419494649455.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1419494649455.png
29 KB, 633x758
>tfw someone calls your favorite album "wank"
>>
Pen Expers is dope, havn't listened to the other ones at all really.
>>
Best Autechre album by far. Lentic Catachresis and Eidetic Casein are my fucking shit.
>>
File: Draft.jpg (56 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Draft.jpg
56 KB, 480x480
what about this album
>>
>>60647332
It's good
>>
>>60647332
Their best. It's basically them using the techniques of Confield to make danceable tracks, and it works incredibly.
>>
>>60642200
not their best but better than anything else released that year :^D
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 550x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 550x750
>>60642200
It's my favorite next to Exai and Untilted

>those crazy drums at the end of Pen Expers
>>
I was hoping on a new album soon but the live soundboards they released last month or so will get me through for a while. Would still like another album but I guess they've been busy touring this year.
>>
>>60649327
I love how it sounds like the drums are just totally disintegratinh. Their method of putting drum samples in a minidisc for that bit was so genius.

It's a shame they've become such a meme on here because they really are ace.
>>
>>60649378
It'll probably be early-mid next year. I'm not on WATMM (hate that place) but apparently Sean posted on there last summer that they had a lot of work done and that a new album would follow shortly after the tour. That was over a year ago.
>>
>>60644966
Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried Move on Ten yet, but since you say it has funky moments I will. I like funk.
>>
>>60645148
Oversteps is my favorite :/
>>
>>60647332
I really dislike this cover, but ace album. Still prefer Confield.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.