[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Experimental music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Shouldn't the point of experimental music be to discover new textures and sounds and ideas that can then be applied to popular music and stuff normal people will actually enjoy?

In normal experiments, people don't experiment for the sake of experimenting- they experiment in order to prove a thesis.

What's the value in experimenting for its own sake, endlessly?

Has there been any instances of experimental music ideas being then used in popular, mainstream music once the experiment is over?

Similar to this Mike Patton quote about his project Peeping Tom?

>"I don't listen to the radio, but if I did, this is what I'd want it to sound like. This is my version of pop music. In a way, this is an exercise for me: taking all these things I've learned over the years and putting them into a pop format. I've worked with many people who have said to me, 'oh you have a pop record in you, eventually you'll find it,' and I always laughed at them. I guess I owe them an apology."

I mean, I'm listening to some Matmos and Rachel's, and I really don't get it. It's not enjoyable, but there ARE some cool sounds and ideas in it. Why not take those things and put them in normal songs in order to expand pop music? Why segregate the weird ideas to music nobody likes and then leave popular music stagnated with no new ideas or experimentation?
>>
Kill yourself retard
>>
>>60521996
Some people like to listen to new, interesting, refreshing sounds
I don't understand how this can be a hard concept
>In normal experiments, people don't experiment for the sake of experimenting- they experiment in order to prove a thesis.
What do you mean by "normal experiments"?
>>
File: 800px-Domakesaythink01.jpg (217 KB, 800x1203) Image search: [Google]
800px-Domakesaythink01.jpg
217 KB, 800x1203
I'll give you an example. So I was looking up 'post-rock' in wikipedia in order to figure out what the fuck it meant, and I found this picture.

It looks retarded, but I realized they're doing something with the amp and the guitar to create some weird sound. So why not take these experiments and then put them on the radio in a real rock song people can sing along to and enjoy? like, I can see people doing "experimental" music like this picture if it was a case of "let's do something unique to this generic rock song and make is special. let's try THIS. no, let's try THIS. no, that sounded cool, can you replicate that? ok, let's try that but sped up/slowed down/ etc.."

I mean, I know I sound like a normie non-hipster retard, but I really am in terms of music, I don't get avant garde or weird hipster experimental music at all, or noise, or drone, or any of that shit. but I do love experimental film.

I mean, to me, the point of experimental film, for instance, is not "I want to make an experimental film," it's "I have an idea for a film, and the idea's never been done this way before, but I'm gonna try it and see if it works." That's what separates good experimental filmmakers from poor ones. It's more about ideas, not experimentation for its own sake.
>>
>>60522023
Don't want to.

>>60522057
Yes, but it's a very low number. That's why Taylor Swift is selling out arenas and most pretentious experimental musicians can't pay their rent- or have to be funded by their trust fund mommy and daddy. So it seems pretty pointless. Popularity IS important.

>What do you mean by "normal experiments"?

Scientific experiments- you know, with a thesis, and an end date.

Experimental music seems like musical masturbation, but popular music, stuff that stands the test of time, seems like fucking, and making a family. They're both sexual, but only the latter benefits society.
>>
The point of making experimental music is making music. That's it.

And no, not everything has to fit the pop format to satisfy your own tastes.

Nobody experiments for the sake of experimentation, they do it because their experimentation is a by-product of the music they make. Or can you post a counter example?

It's not enjoyable for you, but it is for other people.
>>
>>60522095
>I have an idea for a film, and the idea's never been done this way before, but I'm gonna try it and see if it works
But that's how it works, most of the time
I don't understand why you think stuff should be 'applicable'
Art doesn't have to be fun all the time
>>60522169
It seems to me that you don't get art at all
>So it seems pretty pointless
So the only point of music is making money?
>Scientific experiments- you know, with a thesis, and an end date
Music is art, not science
>but popular music, stuff that stands the test of time
Oh yeah
No one has ever heard of this forward-thinking dude JS Bach
Yet my neighbor won't stop blasting 1962 top hit Bustin' Surfboards by The Thornadoes
>>
>>60522222
>being such a tripfag that no one will appreciate your quints
>>
>>60522262
>But that's how it works, most of the time

I can't tell you're not a filmmaker or a film buff.
>>
>>60522587
what experimental films do you like?
>>
>>60522587
>>60522999
im not that guy other guy my the way. I just like film
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.