[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/foo/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: foo2013feat.jpg (181 KB, 620x407) Image search: [Google]
foo2013feat.jpg
181 KB, 620x407
Why do people hate on these guys?

Yeah, they don't write genre changing music and are the radio friendly stadium band archetype, but their self titled debut, The Colour And The Shape, There Is Nothing Left To Lose and Wasting Light are fantastic albums and they always put on one hell of a show. There are fewer people in music that display more passion than Grohl.
>>
I think the Foo Fighters hate on this board mainly stems from the fact that Dave could be making much better music than he does (as evidenced by their s/t) but settles for mainly radio-friendly pop rock. His whole attitude on rock music as a whole is also kinda shitty.
>>
>>66214399
>their self titled debut
>their

Yeah, but the first album (and the second, for the most part) was all Dave.

It went down hill when he decided he wanted to have a big popular rock band.

He doesn't deserve all the shit he gets, but Dave as "the savior of rock" can be annoying sometimes.

Most of the music is still very good though.
>>
>>66214399
Great live, but studio stuff is literally just regurgitation of shit that's over 40 years old now. I don't normally get mad when I hear the "bring back rock music" shit associated with this group since I don't really care, but it does make me mad because in the music we can see that statement from the Foos in a "let's make the same old music and rock doesn't need to evolve with the times" which is utter bullshit.

The day we have mainstream bands do cool shit with the rock music format rather than regurgitating older stuff ala Post-Punk Revival, Classic Rock Revival, even more hard rock, and Post Grunge is the day Rock music stops "dying."
>>
>>66214399
its like the phill collins of our era
>>
>>66214498
This
There are no new rock bands/albums that excite or interest me or do anything new. I'd love to see someone prove me wrong, but I haven't
>>
>>66214573
From recent years Royal Blood and The Gaslight Anthem have put out some great stuff. alt-J too, if you count them as "rock."
>>
>>66214468
>His whole attitude on rock music as a whole is also kinda shitty

He's not as bad as Noel "anything which isn't The Beatles, The Smiths, The Stone Roses or my own music isn't proper music" Gallagher.
>>
>>66214468
>>66214498
Not to mention Dave has this high and mighty rock n roll attitude about himself as if he created rock. Like it's decent rock, but that's it.
>>
>>66214598
You're kind of proving my point, those bands (except alt-J but they're not rock) are revivalists and not very original.
>>
because I can't think of them as nothing more but Dave's terrible Nirvana-lite project
>>
>>66214654
He acts and talks so stereotypically and obnoxiously too
"Like fucking shit man we're fucking saving rock n roll, DUDE"
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 460x489) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 460x489
>>66214713
>>
>>66214498
>>66214573

You all are going to laugh, but I think Grimes has actually managed to do something really interesting with rock music and its sonic elements while pushing it forward. I would add Tame Impala to that too, same thing with Vampire Weekend's production on MVOTC.
>>
>>66214866
Tame Impala is just revival psych rock tho
Like Innerspeaket sounds like something that might be from the 70s
>>
>>66214866
Yeah but Grimes is electronic/pop, no? When did she do rock? I've only listened to Art Angels.
>>
>>66214667
I agree with you about the first two, but I think Alt-J is definitely rock. Dark Side of the Moon sounds nothing like Chuck Berry.
>>
>>66214894
Lonerism and Currents are not revival psych rock

Hell Lonerism is barely psych rock
>>
>>66214894
Innerspeaker is definitely revivalist with modern production, but Currents and Lonerism are definitely at least a fresh synthesis of influences. I don't know any 60s-70s acts that have a song like Let It Happen.

>>66214906
There are guitars all over that album, Flesh Without Blood has a kind of Hives feel, and California produces the guitar in an interesting way. In this interview, she puts that into context a little bit. "Indie" is nothing if not the descendant of rock music IMO. I don't think it's pure chart pop because it doesn't get played on the radio. The line between pop and rock (and electronic) is difficult to draw anyway.
>>
>>66214989
Whoops, meant to attach this interview.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/grimes-on-art-angels-follow-up-why-she-loves-tool-20160412
>>
>>66214847
>grounded
>self-describes a rockstar

iggy poopy doodoo
>>
>>66214866
Not sure if I would call Grimes rock music. Guitars don't automate to rock music.

Tame Impala's a decent contender, but on a maybe because: a lot of their music is psych influenced as already said and while them putting like electronic sounds and using modern production techniques to spice it up sounds cool, they don't do much actually different stuff. They don't go to like Animal Collective level of putting interesting sounds together, rather it's synths on top of the usual psych rock stuff. Sounds good, but at the same time it's also a modern and more psych influenced tech a lot of 80s bands used to do.
>>
i couldn't care less about this band really but everlong is one of the greatest singles of the 90s no doubt

something about those verse chords and the whole build up. idk someone who knows music theory will have to explain but it's so satisfying
>>
they make generic trash

if you even have to ask, you have no musical palette
>>
They are the equivalent of Reddit on music
They are incredibly pretentious specially Dave
They are Americans
They act like if they have austic on the stage
Her music sound too plastic and overproduced

In less word's it's shit
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.