[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Music listening habits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1372015005367.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1372015005367.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
Let's talk about music listening habits /mu/

>How much "new" music do you listen to per day or per week?
>What is the ratio of what you listen to between new music and music you know?
>How much do you listen to music "actively" versus how much you have it on in the background?
>How big is your library? Do you think it's important when discussing music to have a large library?
>How much music in your library hasn't been listened to?
>How often do you listen to full albums versus shuffling your library or picking out songs?
>Do you listen to music through speakers or headphones? Do you ever listen to music outside?
>Do you have any rituals for specific albums / stuff you're looking forward to / new albums in general?
>>
1/3

1/3

>How much do you listen to music "actively" versus how much you have it on in the background?
50/50

>How big is your library? Do you think it's important when discussing music to have a large library?
250GB
Yes

None

>How often do you listen to full albums versus shuffling your library or picking out songs?
Yes, you either listen to albums or shuffle, compilations, EPs, singles and live recordings are a myth

>Do you listen to music through speakers or headphones? Do you ever listen to music outside?
Both
No

>Do you have any rituals for specific albums / stuff you're looking forward to / new albums in general?
No
No
No
>>
>>66203123
>>How much "new" music do you listen to per day or per week?

New as in made recently? None. New as in old bands / albums I haven't heard yet, probably at least one album per week

>>What is the ratio of what you listen to between new music and music you know?

1:10

>>How much do you listen to music "actively" versus how much you have it on in the background?

8:2

>>How big is your library? Do you think it's important when discussing music to have a large library?

10 gigabytes. It's more important to have a big variety of music. 500 gigs of the same genre is pretty lame

>>How much music in your library hasn't been listened to?

Very little if any

>>How often do you listen to full albums versus shuffling your library or picking out songs?

Almost always listen to full albums from beginning to end

>>Do you listen to music through speakers or headphones? Do you ever listen to music outside?

all of the above

>>Do you have any rituals for specific albums / stuff you're looking forward to / new albums in general?

No
>>
>>66203123
Nice shirt
>>
I don't know exactly
15-25% roughly
I'd say 50 but i have various levels of focus and even when it's in the background i grasp a cood chunk of music
It's sometimes annoying because when i enter in a place with music playing i must struggle to not pay it immediate attention
239 Go
Somewhat but i doesn't need to be that big. Under 100-150 albums your are somewhat irrelevant.
(obviously you can have everything in physical format)

25-30%
Don't judge me i dl full composers works and shit

I never shuffle
Cohesive works 85 % of the time
15% is chosen peces i want to listen

Headphones 95% of the time
Yes

>Do you have any rituals for specific albums
I like listening to some albums in my bed
Some mellow or calm or atmospheric ambient like SAW2, Shadows of the sun, bohren's works but not only, bach for instance

> stuff you're looking forward to / new albums in general?
Not that i remember
>>
>>66203123
>Let's talk about music listening habits /mu/
At least like one new album a day
Like 9:1 music I already know
>>How much do you listen to music "actively" versus how much you have it on in the background?
I almost always actively listen while doing something that doesnt distract me much like shitposting on 4chan
>>How big is your library? Do you think it's important when discussing music to have a large library?
10,000s of songs, not really
none
>>How often do you listen to full albums versus shuffling your library or picking out songs?
I try to listen to full album the first time I hear it and listen to my favorite albums all the way through. otherwise I just flip throw singlely songs
>>Do you listen to music through speakers or headphones? Do you ever listen to music outside?
headphones
>>Do you have any rituals for specific albums / stuff you're looking forward to / new albums in general?
no
>>
>>66203123
I try at least one new album a week, mostly stuff people consider classics.
uhhhh...not sure
I love listening to the little things in production most songs have to offer, mostly vidya game OST's are background music for me, but even those have cool little shit in em
Never big enough
A few albums. Guilty. Not too many though.
Lately I've been finding myself used to listening to the whole album rather than an individual song.
both. Yeah.
Yeah, depends on the mood I'm in. New albums, I'm just looking forward to future classics. Sunbather was a recent classic for me despite being out in 2013.
>>
>>66203123
On average like 1-2 new albums per week
1:4
Background 90% of the time
Around 120GB I think
Yes, it definitely is
Like 2-3%, mostly from downloaded discographies
Full albums 99% of the time
Mostly headphones
Yes, I have some nice closed-back headphones for that
3x no
>>
At least three albums per week

A fifth.

I listen to all albums actively at least a couple times, but I put music in the background most times I'm doing stuff

182 GB, about 2,550 albums. It's not important, some people tend to have a large backlog of music (me included)

Maybe a third of it?

I usually listen to full albums but I've started to shuffle songs in the car.

Headphones most the time. The only times I listen outside anymore is in my car.

Try to be on top of leaks for new albums. For favorite albums I usually buy it on CD or vinyl.
>>
At the moment I'm basically only listening to stuff I don't know. I recently got Spotify on my phone so it means I can just hear stuff I've been meaning to listen to, or new stuff. I know it's probably hated on here, but fuck me I enjoy having it.

Usually it's probably like 10% new music (as in stuff I've not heard before), but recently it's around 80%.

I listen to music primarily on my commute to and from work (around 2 and a half hours round trip) and on my lunch break, it's primarily active listening.

Hard to quantify because I have Spotify, but then like 500-600 or so physical CDs.

Currently quite a lot, as I've downloaded shit loads on Spotify. I'll get through it all though.

I only ever listen to full albums, bar if there's music on at a social event or something.

Headphones almost exclusively, and yes, when I'm walking.

Not that I can think of.
>>
Anywhere between 3-12 albums that I haven't heard previously every week
2:5
It varies, but probably 50/50 depending on what I'm doing.
701 GB according to foobar2000. 346 vinyl records, a bunch of 7"s and maybe 50 CDs. Not really, depending on the discussion. Listening to a lot of albums is much more important than storing a lot of albums on your hdd/in your bookshelf.
~3%
I never shuffle, and only pick out individual songs when I'm listening to music with other people (which isn't most of the time).
Headphones most of the time, but that's just because I have shitty speakers in comparison.
I only spin my original Loveless pressing when I have really dank weed, other than that not really. No/No.
>>
>>66203123
>How much new music?
Like 2 albums a day

1:2 ratio

I listen to music actively while doing nothing else maybe 25% of the time, usually at night before bed

a couple hundred gbs all together I think, I don't think having a large library is necessarily important

I'd say maybe 1/10th of my library is stuff I haven't heard

I listen to full albums almost exclusively

I use speakers when I can, headphones if I can't, I listen to music outside very rarely because usually if I'm outside I'm w/ someone else

my only ritual is lastfm lol
>>
>>66203123
>Lately 3-4 new albums a day
>4:1
>Hard, maybe 25% actively
>493 Albums currently
>Around 20 I haven't heard yet
>Always full albums
>Always headphones
>Sometimes I'll get on my bed for noise in order to "absorb" it more
>>
>>66203123
>1 album every day usually
>3:1
>most of the time it's in the background
>200gb, absolutely not
>3/4
>95% of the time
>headphones; if by outside you mean in a vehicle, then yes, else no
>i need to listen to it several times before judging
>>
>>66203123
Hard to quantify, I look up a lot of individual songs to gauge if I want to give artists a proper go or not, full albums maybe one every 2 days or so
I would guess maybe 40-60 split
idk, sometimes I'll literally do nothing but listen to an album and sometimes it'll be background noise while I work or hang out with friends but more often it's while I do something relatively untaxing so I'm still paying attention to the music
My library's only like 4000 songs. I have a backlog of stuff I want to listen to that's like 500 albums deep but I'm pretty slow to actually add new albums to my collection
Only ever 1-2 albums max at any one time when I add them in bunches
Majority of the time I listen to full albums, but sure sometimes I just feel like listening to a specific song or putting it on shuffle
Speakers usually, and yes, I generally only use my headphones for when I'm outside
I guess if I really want to "get into" an album I'll turn off the lights and just focus on it exclusively. I do like to dance as well
>>
>>66203123
I keep a spreadsheet on all this so I have very specific answers

365 new albums a year, "new" as in new to me, not just newly released. if I've never heard the album entirely before than it counts.

around %15 of the time I am compelled to relisten to an an entire album and it does not count towards my 365 albums a year. This has happened 30 times since january

Yes. I almost never just put music on in background. I like to sit in front of good speakers and really take the album in. It is well worth it to make this effort especially with so many artists who hold up their end of the bargain with fantastic sounding mixes.

not very big, I had a rough move so with vinyl I had to keep it down to the 2 crates I simply could not part with. &
With digital I basically only keep things I am planning on listening to, stuff I want to keep for another listen, & stuff I simply haven't deleted yet.

virtually half, I'm making my rounds. :)

usually always listening for the entire album. I keep a playlist of standout tracks etc, quick segments I'd possibly even like to share with friends

speakers! headphones kinda drive me nuts, never outside

loveless can be played at specific crossroads of life, and you have to set the system up perfect and play it very loud,
>>
Something like 10 albums per 3 weeks

if you count the time i look at youtube, myspace or bandcamp, to see how the song someone or some recommendation system recommended me at listening to new music, its 90% of my time old music and 10% new music.

99% of the time I am doing something else even if walking or waiting for someone

Its important to know alot of music to make sure your info is not based on what you know and you dont say stupid shit like pink floyd invented experimental music or dragonforce is the hardest musician ever. Or some pleb, that dont know harsh noise telling rebbeca black song is the worst music ever.

I already listened to everything on my library, it just enter my lubrary after i listen, if not it stays as a album name or artist name on my backlog.
>>
I always shuffle, and shuffle songs. I have some songs from albums that had just one song, but obviously this problably not count as listening to full albums.

Headphones, can listen to whatever the fuck I want without bothering people. Yes I listen to music outside while walking to go to the job.

When I see something I really like to try, I save on my backlog text.
I get some albums from backlog and download it on saturday, lets say week 1, and listen to it.
After listening to it once I stop and listen to it again on friday week 2, I listen it by folder order and winamp song order, now I delete what I dont like.
After listening it just one time, I stop listening to it again and only listen to it on friday week 3 and delete what I dont like and save on my main folder. And start again the thing with new backlog albums on saturday week 3.
>>
>>66206623
>>66206607
PS: sameguy here
>>
ITT: Answer the questions, don't read anyone else's answers. What a waste. Here's my cat anyways
>>
>>66203123
>>66203123

I try to listen to a few new albums every week, sometimes I don't
70% music I know, 30% new
almost always in the background
not very, deleted most to make room
and I think it's more important to be critically thinking than just listening to a lot
none
I usually put on full albums
earbuds, and yeah I usually listen to music outside
no
>>
three or four songs/albums a week

1:20

i ALWAYS have music on, im never "just" listening to music, im always doing at least one other thing,
i dont just stare at the wall when im listening to music

8,200, i think it's important to be well versed in the genre you're discussing to have any input worth
something.

none

nine times out of ten im listening to a full album

i much prefer my speakers and that's where most of my listening happens, but i also have headphones because i do not live alone. no

what? no
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.