[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Review of Animal Collective - Hollinndagain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8
File: satantrips.png (116 KB, 599x310) Image search: [Google]
satantrips.png
116 KB, 599x310
DUBS PICKS NEXT ALBUM (NO REPEATS,FAKES, OR STUFF SO OBSCURE I CAN’T FIND IT)

Albums that constitute repeats:
>Jason Aldean - Old Boots, New Dirt (3/10)
>Animal Collective - Hollinndagain

Review of “Hollinndagain” by Animal Collective
====================================
For albums as abstract as Hollinndagain I like to imagine an abstract sequence of images that come in succession as I listen to the album. This album was great at evoking such images, and a few general themes arose.

The album begins with two long pieces (>10 minutes) in “I See You Pan” and “Pride and Fight”. The first track evokes a feeling of complete loneliness that is rarely ever found in music. It plays like a fragmented lullaby trying to make it’s way through the vacuum of outer space. “Pride and Fight” might be the best song on the album. It has multiple parts. The first part continues with the theme of loneliness but then flourishes into a more flowery strumming section and finishing with a transition to something that can be vaguely described as an instrumental tribal mantra. The theme of “tribal mantra” then becomes prominent through the rest of the album.

(contd.)
>>
>>66122019

The rest of the songs aren’t as long. “Forest Gospel” transported my mind from images of a dark void to a (surprise surprise) forest with a sinister character. The last 5 tracks seem to me like a long precession of characters, each singing their own mantra. “Lablakely Dress” is the most frightening song on the album. I imagine a giant fish man singing it. In fact, it’s idiotic, but I imagine the fatass Zoro king from Ocarina of Time piercing through outer space at the speed of light, shouting the song of his people into the void. Sounds faggy? Well that’s what I was thinking about.

“Tell It to the Mountain” reaffirms the theme of tribal mantra and “Pumpkin Gets a Snakebite” I especially enjoy because it amplifies all of the latent chaotic and disjointed characteristics of the album for it’s finale. It’s difficult to come up with any imagery besides a chaotic nightmare that shifts from one scene to the next. Reading about it’s history makes it look like the album wasn’t even designed to flow all together. After all, the tracks are taken from two separate performances. But the songs have a similar feel underneath and it actually ends up flowing in a kind of messed up narrative, at least in my mind. The album is really different than what I usually listened to, and is a bit “inaccessible” as some would say, but I really enjoyed it. I have a feeling that if I listened to it again the precession of images would be totally different. This album deserves a longer analysis that this board’s space doesn’t give me and the album itself is worthy of multiple relistens.

8/10 (worthy of relistening and reanalyzing)

DUBS DECIDES NEXT ALBUM. WILL STAY TO SEE WINNER THEN REVIEW WINNER TOMORROW.
>>
File: Eric Taxxon - Sky simplified.png (26 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Eric Taxxon - Sky simplified.png
26 KB, 2000x2000
This
>>
File: download (3).jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>
File: 19.jpg (95 KB, 710x710) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
95 KB, 710x710
>>
File: chris watson weather report.jpg (36 KB, 450x403) Image search: [Google]
chris watson weather report.jpg
36 KB, 450x403
>>
File: image.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
159 KB, 300x300
>>
>>66122058
this album is underrated

do it op
>>
File: merzbow-hybrid-noisebloom.jpg (70 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
merzbow-hybrid-noisebloom.jpg
70 KB, 600x600
>>
File: image.jpg (772 KB, 1181x1181) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
772 KB, 1181x1181
>>
>>66122058
do it
>>
>>66122100

DING DING DING!

Our winner is: Major Parkinson's first self-titled LP!

I like the cover.
>>
>>66122100
winrar
>>
>8/10
Good on you OP, try tapping your foot to the first three songs next time, it's a cool experience
>>
>>66122113
>>66122124
I WON AT SOMETHING!!!!! FINALLY!!!!

It's gonna be good to hear an outsiders opinion on this thing, it's been in my rotation for a couple years now. It's a small Norweigian band, so any and all talk about them is in a language I don't understand.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.