[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me out here /mu/ How do I write a sontata? Not like a three-movement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Sonata.gif (14 KB, 552x235) Image search: [Google]
Sonata.gif
14 KB, 552x235
Help me out here /mu/

How do I write a sontata? Not like a three-movement piece, just the sonata-allegro

Also, does it HAVE to be in allegro? Because the piece I'm writing is intended to be a nocturne and I'd really prefer a slower tempo
>>
File: 1463675264387.jpg (16 KB, 287x267) Image search: [Google]
1463675264387.jpg
16 KB, 287x267
>>65279123
Wew. Intro music theory-level knowledge here.

>How do I write a sontata? Not like a three-movement piece, just the sonata-allegro
Well that pic there is a good start. Develop a theme in the tonic of your choosing, develop a second theme in the dominant. In development, mix themes and develop tonal instability, and then recapitulate with both original themes in the tonic. I'm no expert, but I feel like the introduction is very uncommon while the coda is much more common, even though both are optional.

>Also, does it HAVE to be in allegro?
Not entirely sure, but I don't *think* it has to be in allegro. From my understanding, an allegro movement was just the first part of a larger whole sonata piece. Also, less importantly, in that pic, I didn't think major third was recommended in the second theme unless the first theme was in minor.

Hopefully someone more experienced can better answer your questions.
>>
>>65279343
You're right in saying that the intro is far less common than the coda, but in my experience a coda is almost always there, at least post-Beethoven.
>>
>>65279123
>>65279343
>I'm no expert, but I feel like the introduction is very uncommon while the coda is much more common, even though both are optional.
you're correct, though the introduction can be quite nice to have still
>Not entirely sure, but I don't *think* it has to be in allegro.
correct, it doesn't. plenty of classical era works are in allegro
>>65280425
>almost always
keyword ALMOST
>>
>>65280484
>plenty of classical era works are in allegro
for fuck's sake

plenty of classical works are ADAGIO sonata forms. for instance; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgmorK61YQ
>>
A sonata form work can be any tempo but traditionally its fast. But there have been slower sonata form movements as second movements (either Mozarts 40th or 41st symphonies has a sonata form 2nd movement but I don't remember which one).
>>
>>65279343
>Not entirely sure, but I don't *think* it has to be in allegro. From my understanding, an allegro movement was just the first part of a larger whole sonata piece.
It really depends what OP is going for; when writing a sonata in a classical period style, one should (roughly) stick to this formular:
1. Mov.: Fast, in the form that OP's pic describes
2. Mov.: Slow, form can be chosen freely, theme and variation are common though.
(3. Mov./Scherzo: Moderato, Scherzo with Trio (A-B-A), 3/4 time)
4. Finale: fast, either Rondo form, sonata form or theme with variations.
When sticking to this form, the first movement would have to be allegro (or at least faster than the 2. and 3. movement). It should be noted that this form wasn't set in stone though. Even composers during the classical period used different variants.

Also, that picture that OP posted is a bit misleading; during the exposition, a second bridge is usually inserted, after the second theme has been introduced. This is because the closing section of the exposution should be written in the tonic key. Also, the closing section is called "closing themes" in that pic which is, once again, a bit misleading. The "original" form only contained two themes, the first and the second one. During the romantic period, composers often added a third theme in the closing section. OP's pic is referencing that, while
most classical compositions do not include an additional theme in this section; it is merely used to re-establish the tonic key after the modulation in the second bridge.
>>
>>65280525
Well, yes. You always have to see this in the context of the other movements. The French variation of the sonata form reversed the series of movements (which i listed here >>65280860 ),
for example. Instead of starting of with a fast movement, composers started off with a slow one, followed by a fast one, and so on...
>>
>>65280525
Oh, I should have clicked the link
This is a second movement, meaning that Mozart probably stuck to the "original" sequence of movements
>>
When composing an orchestral work is it better to write all the instrument parts at once or do a 2 piano reduction or whatever first?
>>
>>65281358
>2 piano reduction
This
>is it better to write all the instrument parts at once
Definitely NOT this
>>
>>65281436
thanks family
>>
>>65281585
No problem. You should read up on orchestration though. There are sone great tutorials on YT. Check out Thomas Goss aka OrchestrationOnline.
>>
The sontata I'm writing is in aminor key. Any extra rules there?
>>
>>65280860
Isn't that for a full sonata? What about just the first movement, sonata-allegro form?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.