[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do ponies have the equivalent of Christmas but not Santa Claus?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
Why do ponies have the equivalent of Christmas but not Santa Claus?
>>
>equivalent of Christmas
We haven't seen any indication of religion in Equestria, much less the celebration of the birth of a Savior sent by God

Hearth's Warming Eve is the equivalent of an independence day
>>
>>27907476
because ponies believe in working for what you get, not being given stuff for free.
>>
>>27907491
More like Sukkot than independence day
>>
I want to kiss Twilight under some mistletoe
>>
>>27907476
Because Santa isn't real
>>
>>27907544
DELET THIS
>>
>>27907523
how?
>>
>>27907476
Because corporations like Coca Cola don't exist in their world so they couldn't have a character like Santa created to sell them soda.
>>
>>27907581
>santa
>soda
You mean toys?
>>
>>27907633
No, hes referring to how we are seeing Santa in advertising more than anything else come Christmas.
>>
>>27907633
Some people think Coca Cola came up with the modern portrayal of Santa, the whole red suit and white beard get up. It's wrong though, they made it popular, but didn't invent it.
>>
>>27907524
>you will never be invited to organize a Christmas celebration at Celestia's request
>you will never tell ponies christmas stories and teach them carols
>they will never partake in a strange holiday and customs that seem so similar, yet so exotic
>you will never dress up as Santa Claus and let young fillies sit on your lap and tell you what they want for Christmas
>you will never see qt ponies trying their best to adhere to your traditions for fear of upsetting you
>you will never sit around a fire and sip cocoa and snuggle with your waifu
>you will never pick out the best tree and decorate it with ponies
>you will never sneak down to the kitchen for a glass of water and see that a few of them have fallen asleep on the couch trying to stay awake to see Santa
>you will never take a bite out of the cookies and drink some of the milk to make them think they just missed him
>you will never be woken up by pony gleefully telling you that it's Christmas Day
>you will never see how happy she is to share in one of your most special days with you
>>
>>27907581
Research your "facts", Anon.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/cocacola.asp

Also, Santa is real.
>>
>>27907678
that's because ponies don't have Christmas
>>
>>27907580
Both are holidays following a fall from grace, a trial, and the coming to a promised land.

How is it like independence day? What are they gaining independence from? Do you mean a founding day?
>>
>>27907836
>How is it like independence day
like AN independence day. An independence day only refers to the beginning of independent statehood. The founding of Equestria is what Hearth's Warming Eve celebrates, so it is a sort of independence day.
>>
>>27907476
Well, there was a Santa hat and sort of Christmas outfit in The Ticket Master.
>>
>>27907862
Not really, since it's about three races forming together as a new nation. They give up their independance and become something new.
>>
File: eggs.png (10 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
eggs.png
10 KB, 420x420
>>27907476
Why do ponies have the equivalent of Christmas but not Easter?
>>
>>27907888
They formed a new, independent state.
>>
>>27907942
Independent implies they separated from something. A Founding Day is a far better term.

But the Sukkot thing does make more sense as Heart's Warming Eve has more spiritual significance than political.
>>
>>27907982
>Independent implies they separated from something. A Founding Day is a far better term
That may be true, but that's not the defintion of "independence day"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day

>Heart's Warming Eve has more spiritual significance than political
The founding of a nation is spiritual?
>>
>>27908010
Unification of three tribes to survive against a supernatural entity?

The fact that the celebratory aspect is over the getting along with each other and caring for one another despite all odds?

It is part of the history of Equestria's founding yes but is more akin to the celebration of Yule and holds nothing in common with the practice of an Independence Day save for the history aspect.
>>
File: dis nig srs.gif (3 MB, 504x335) Image search: [Google]
dis nig srs.gif
3 MB, 504x335
>>27908010
>usually after ceasing to be a group or part of another nation or state
Nigger, that's exactly what he said. Just... Just think about the words used. "Independence Day." It is the day you became independent from another country or sovereignty. It's not that hard.
>>
>>27908010
It has nothing to do with the founding if a nation anymore than Columbus Day does.

It celebrates unity and discovery and settling of Equestria as a land. Nothing about a government, royal or otherwise, is tackled after the migration.
>>
File: 1460920340921.gif (2 MB, 348x323) Image search: [Google]
1460920340921.gif
2 MB, 348x323
>>27907476
>Not realizing Christmas is a celebration of Jesus' birth and that Santa Claus is just European lore about an old man that made toys for kids taken to the utmost extreme by the Coca-Cola Company.
Yeah, Hearth's Warming is totally the equivalent of Christmas.
Nigga, all that good shit is a lie.
>>
>>27908096
>not realizing Christmas is a Christianized version of Yule using the birth of Jesus (who would have been born in March or April as shepards did not typically graze their flocks in the winter season) as the focal point because missionaries couldn't get heathens to denounce their ways so they changed the names of a few things instead and called it conversion.
ftfy
>>
>>27907544
You're not invited to this year's gift exchange gtfo
>>
>>27908030
Usually. The main point is the independent nation

>>27908052
>
It is part of the history of Equestria's founding yes but is more akin to the celebration of Yule and holds nothing in common with the practice of an Independence Day save for the history aspect
The reasons are directly related to the celebration. The meaning of the holiday is. Chritmas could be celebrated with human sacrifice and goat fucking, but it's not. This is because of the history of the holiday. The reasons ponies don't have a Santa Claus is beacuse Hearth's Warming is different from Christmas, regardless of the similarities
>>
File: VLlCG.png (302 KB, 812x459) Image search: [Google]
VLlCG.png
302 KB, 812x459
>>27907491
>>
>>27907544
http://www.biography.com/people/st-nicholas-204635
>>
>>27908158
I know. The reason for the holiday is more like Thanksgiving. No nation founding occurs. The finding and settling of equestria is, again, closer to Columbus Day.
>>
>>27908158
The meaning of Yule is putting differences aside and rekindling brotherhood through the season of death you mong.

You know, just like fucking Hearth's Warming Eve?

The settling of Equestria (read: settling, not starting a nation as none of that ever occurs in the tale) is a secondary aspect to the unification of the three tribes.
>>
>>27907476
They give gifts to each other. They don't need Santa Claus.
It's not about receiving gifts, it's about giving gifts.
>>
>>27908210
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
>>
>>27908523
Not an argument
>>
Santa is based on Saint Nicholas and Father Winter. Neither exist in poner world so a combination wouldn't either.

But really I think they wanted to stick closer to the message of togetherness, when you involve a santa proxy you get a million clichés and trops with it. They didn't want to make it about the gifts.
>>
>>27907678
>tfw we dont really celebrate christmas
I do not know these feels.
>>
>>27908538
Nowhere it's stated that that was a priest. Just because it looks like one, it doesn't mean they have a religion.

For what we know, it could even be a guy wearing a collar.
>>
File: Pony_WTH.png (215 KB, 606x323) Image search: [Google]
Pony_WTH.png
215 KB, 606x323
>>27908557
Really makes you think
>>
>>27908557
to be fair it is a very specific design for a collar.
additionally you see stuff like tomb stones.

But this is all just shit based on western society and given how closely it and Christendom are related, you're gonna get overlap.
These sort of things were obviously put in to easily convey what is going on in these scenes, not world building with religion in mind.
>>
File: Mr._Waddle_id.png (301 KB, 552x563) Image search: [Google]
Mr._Waddle_id.png
301 KB, 552x563
>>27908564
Makes one ponder
>>
>>27908564
Don't get me wrong, it's clearly arranged to LOOK like it. But, it's not outright specified.

To make it simpler, they could still safely retcon it, saying it was a funeral orator and that everyone in the orator guild wear a collar as identification. It would be hella weird, indeed, but from a narrative point it would still stand perfectly on its own.
>>
>>27908564
>>27908569
Why would one change his outfit?
Really engages the thought process
>>
>>27908569
...I don't get it, what's to see here?
>>
>>27908584
Not really
You're just making excuses for it not to be a priest.

See
>>27908566

The duck test is in effect
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck
>>
>>27908590
His normal outfit
>>
>>27908597
>These sort of things were obviously put in to easily CONVEY what is going on in these scenes, NOT world building with religion in mind.
Do you even read what you link?
>>
>>27907678
>"Oh my gosh, Santa! It's really you, I knew you were real!"
>Before you know it the pink mare catapults herself towards you and wraps her forelegs around your waist in a tight hug
>"Nopony else believed me but I knew you would come, I just knew it!"
>The mare loosens her grip on you and you find yourself at a loss for words
>It was just you, Anon
>All you'd done was slip on a tacky fake beard and donned the costume Celestia and her servants had provided for you
>Pinkie Pie scurries off into the other room for a moment before returning with a plate of milk and cookies in tow
>"I figured you'd want some food to keep your strength up for a long night of delivering presents"
>She tilts her head
>"Say, why aren't you saying anything?"
>She squints her eyes and purses her lips
>"Say, are you sure you're really Santa?"
>Her neck seems to stretch towards you from her motionless body and you feel the hair on the back of you neck stand on end
>Say something you idiot!
"Uh" you mumble and clear your throat "Ho Ho Ho"
>The mare's neck retracts and she lets out a gasp
>"Santa! You can't talk about Rarity that way!"
>>
>>27908584
>Don't get me wrong, it's clearly arranged to LOOK like it. But, it's not outright specified.

it so is. it's like pixel fucking perfect dude. not an accident.

LOOK AT IT
>>
>>27908617
>But this is all just shit based on western society and given how closely it and Christendom are related, you're gonna get overlap.
Do you even read what you type?

I'm agnostic, but I know I preist when I see one.
I'm not offended he's there but he is there
If you're offended by it just say so
>>
File: denialcalvin-hobbes690x400.jpg (64 KB, 690x400) Image search: [Google]
denialcalvin-hobbes690x400.jpg
64 KB, 690x400
>>27908584
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.