[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"On the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: latest[1].png (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
2 MB, 1280x720
"On the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape. And she will bring about nighttime eternal."

What did it mean?
>>
>>27891270
On the summer solstice 999 years after she was imprisoned she cast some kind of spell involving the stars to affect her escape. Probably the reason she didn't cast it earlier is that she had to wait for the celestial bodies to be arranged just so.
>>
>>27891280
>affect
*effect
fugg :^^)
>>
>>27891280
Really? Uh, well I'm OP but, I always assumed the prophecy meant " The stars" (Twilight,) would aid in Luna's "escape" (from Nightmare Moon, towards the end where they purified her). "The stars will aid in her escape."

I guess what I'm really asking is...how did NMM get out of the moon in the first place? Was it of her own accord? I read a theory once that in MLP. no magical spell can hold for more than a thousand years. Could that be it?
>>
>>27891270
what did she mean by this?
>>
>>27891270
It means glorious moonqueen isn't done yet. That night from the pilot wasn't even close to eternal.
>>
>>27891330
>I always assumed the prophecy meant " The stars" (Twilight,) would aid in Luna's "escape" (from Nightmare Moon, towards the end where they purified her). "The stars will aid in her escape."
That doesn't really fit with the "And she will bring about nighttime eternal." part. The prophecy is predicting Nightmare Moon's return, not Luna's. But you may be right in that there may have been some intentional pottery there.

> I read a theory once that in MLP. no magical spell can hold for more than a thousand years. Could that be it?
Surely the one imprisoning Discord held for longer, since he was imprisoned before NMM and escaped after.
>>
>>27891371
>That doesn't really fit with the "And she will bring about nighttime eternal." part. The prophecy is predicting Nightmare Moon's return, not Luna's.

Well that COULD work, if bringing nighttime eternal actually means she would resume responsibility of raising the moon every night. Maybe it's a stretch I dunno.

Also Luna and NMM are very the same person.

>Surely the one imprisoning Discord held for longer, since he was imprisoned before NMM and escaped after.

Aye. Thar be too much truth in this ter be denied.
>>
>>27891270
Nyx
>>
>>27891270
It was Starswirl who set her free, putting into motion the events of the serie.
>>
>>27891547
Starswirl is dead.
>>
Celestia's taking a vacation.
>>
>>27891355
>>>/v/
>>
>>27891608
Or is he...
>>
>>27891712
DUN DUN DUNNNN!
But yeah, Starswirl is dead, but he could've used a prolonged activation-type spell, like Discord and his spiky plants.
>>
>>27891608
Starswirl is Discord
>>
>>27891712
>>27891724
>>27891727
"Starswirl will only truly be gone when none here are loyal to him!"
>>
File: image.png (934 KB, 600x819) Image search: [Google]
image.png
934 KB, 600x819
Obligatory DYEWTS.

Season 1, Episode 1.
>>
>>27891270
Everytime someone gets his cutie mark in magic, a huge magical burst erupts, weakening the spell which traps NMM. They all have a cutie mark which shows a celestial body (a star). The longest day of the thousandth year is simply the time when the spell becomes weak enought to break.
>>
>>27891414
For it to be possible to interpret it in that way, "eternal" would have to be treated as functionally equivalent with "eternally," which makes no sense.
>>
Stealth bump.
>>
>>27891837
Celestia set up the stellar rescue and wrote that prophecy, because she wanted her sister back.
>>
>>27891371
>>27891414
I don't think we should assume that magic has a half-life of 1000 years or something like that, which would be more of a certainty, an inevitability.
Discord's late escape CLEARLY disproves that. (If anything, magic's probably got more of a best-by date.)

This is all conjecture (and I don't really have any references outside of the show itself), and it'll probably be more of an analysis of the nature of magic anyhow:

Anyhow, I thought long and hard about this... I believe when it comes to a spells longevity and lifespan, there are a few factors that need to be considered.

#1: The strength of the recipient. Unless someone's strong enough (and can survive for a thousand years), they will never be able to break a spell.

#2: The magical nature of the individual in question. What does this mean? I like to think that magic is sorted like it's on an alignment chart, and the magical nature of the individual in question, influences the lifespan of any particular spell against them.

Looking into it further, one could say that the magic of the Elements of Harmony, was Lawful and Good (partly for having a 'greater plan' and such), whereas one could say the Crystal Heart was purely good, but not strict. (It's purely a magical object, that takes in the emotions of the locals, which is then returned in a more magical form, whether the emotions were good or bad.)

The magic of ponies is more or less the same as the Elements, but if we look elsewhere, we've got 3 character examples who's magic goes in a different direction: Discord, who's magic is more of a chaotic nature, King Sombra, who's magic is more evil, and Nightmare Moon, who's magic (I believe) was for the most part unchanged, with the exception of her present emotions and whatever extent that influenced her magic.
>>
>>27894074
#3: Whether or not there exists a magical presence in the area (and the nature of said magic itself):
I think this is the third and last factor in a spell's lifespan, and it ties in to #2 (which will be explained shortly).
Depending on how much magic there is in an area, and whether or not the spell is of the same nature as the aura magic, the spell can be expected to last longer, or expire shorter (though unfortunately, there aren't really many examples where the factors counteract each other).

Take NMM: It's pretty clear that Celestia surrounds herself in magic everyday, so there is a magical aura factor. Fortunately for NMM, the magic isn't exactly against her nature (this is where the nature of the individual comes in). My belief is, that because of this, NMM was able to gather the power to break the spell, particularly when various celestial objects were positioned to her advantage.

Now, let's take Discord however. His magic is chaotic, he's the antithesis of the Element of Harmony, and (I believe) his statue resided within the influence of the Tree of Harmony.
Even though his imprisonment was sooner then Luna's, the magic in the area was constantly working against his nature, so the spell lasted longer. (One could also theorize that because the Elements of Harmony were refined, the strength of its magic was heightened.)
His foothold for breaking free was obtained when 3 particular fillies introduced a little bit of his element in his presence.

In the next post, I'll go over the third example of thousand-year spells: King Sombra's curse that hid the Crystal Empire, and his banishment/imprisonment.
>>
>>27894247
All right, about King Sombra, and the Crystal Empire... while I have been led to believe that the Frozen Norths don't adhere to any particular leading magical presence (like the Tree of Harmony), it has been implied that there is an ever-present magic all across Equestria regardless. The only thing that was out there that had a strong magical presence was the Crystal Empire, but recalling the 'magic everywhere' detail, it's safe to say that it was probably a more primal and wild form of magic. (I'm kind of reaching here, but I like to think that the magic of various untamed locations have various levels of intensity. The Frozen Norths have unnatural and relentlessness blizzards, whereas the Everfree Forest is more or less just... unsettled, and full of dangerous wild-life.)

Now, the way things have been set (and how I've interpreted it), King Sombra's curse was intentionally designed and set to last a thousand years, at which point, the Crystal Empire would reappear.
Unfortunately, I also ran into an issue with chronology here. I can't tell if he was imprisoned before or after Discord, so I've been going under the assumption that it was after. (There's still the issue of NMM's banishment/escape happening prior of course...)
Anyways... while there wasn't a magical nature working explicitly against King Sombra, maybe there was an issue with magic working appropriately after the Empire was cursed away. The alternative theory here is: because there WAS no strong magical presence, the spells weren't inhibited in the slightest, and therefore ran their course longer. (In which case, it's probably like wear-and-tear when it comes to spells.)

As I'll put it to an example involving an intruder against a lock on a door... it's not the locks job to remain shut, it's more like the intruder's job to break it.

Anyhow, long-story-short. Magic is fucking confusing, doesn't make sense sometimes, and maybe even doesn't follow proper lore. The End.
>>
>>27894074
>>27894247
>>27894495
jesus christ Twilight
>>
>>27894663
I know I know... now that I look at it, I'm a little shocked that I went on about it for so long.
>>
>>27894074
>>27894247
>>27894495
TL;DR
Magic is like magnets
>>
>>27895357
It all makes sense.
>>
>>27893353
Did she also do 9/11?
>>
>>27891270
who were the stars?
why did they help her escape?
what was this face trying to convey?
did I like it?
Bane?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.