[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
(CYOA) War in the North
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: witn1.png (151 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
witn1.png
151 KB, 800x600
>One after another, sudden gusts of cold wind come and go, fresh air entering your muzzle and an uncomfortable sensation leaving your tail. It doesn't help that this cloak has the effectiveness of a wooden horseshoe.
>Resting atop the mound, past the forest you just left, you have a moment to yourself, observing the magnificence before your eyes: the open expanses of the North, land of hearty ponies, freezing and yet homely. Your home. To the left, the treeline of the forest extends to incredible lengths.
>It is from this forest that you, along with three other ponies, have come here. Young as you are, and indebted to the North, you've taken on a temporary role as scouts, helping your adults detect threats to what's left of the tribal union. Everyone with a healthy body, no matter their trade or talent, has taken up arms once again against the oncoming menace. Being a young unicorn lad, a rare sight in these lands, your father insisted that it would be good for your constitution.
>In the distance, a column of smoke rises between the trees of another patch of greenery. It is the enemy, surely, since that forest falls into their border, and they've grown cocky, so much as to not mind their own steps. You, on the contrary, must remain alert.
>You could step forth, maybe past the border, and see for yourself. However, that's not what you were asked of, and there is a small pond nearby, in the forest, where your partners are probably meeting. You could also go in any other direction, within your borders, or stay here.

>Now then, where should you go for a start...?
>>
>>27314942
We should go to the pond. Checking out the smoke would be a real bad idea.
>>
>>27314942
Lets rendezvous with our fellow scouts first.
>>
>>27314960
>>
>>27314942
Oh man, the war in the north.
>>
File: witn2.png (48 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn2.png
48 KB, 400x400
>>27314960
>>27314973
>>27314975
>>27315021
>There's not much contest for you, after a momentary rest you turn around and retrace your steps into the forest. Alone and unarmed, you stand no chance against what lurks beyond that border. Your partners should be at the pond soon; maybe you can arrive first.
>The scenery of the North, while the only you know, is truly mesmerizing, as everything is covered in dew and blue mist, entrapped in a veil of cold beauty. The tall pines of the forest give shelter as you carefully return to the water source, making sure you're not seen.
>Eventually, you arrive at your destination: a small body of water in the middle of a clearing. Many wonders exist in this land, and many so simple. Approaching with care, you take a sip of the water. It's near frozen, but it satisfies your thirst.
>It seems that the rest of your group hasn't arrived yet, and so you entertain the thought of taking a good look at yourself in the mirror of still water. Raising your cloak from the side, you take a good look at your cutie mark first. Many interesting marks have found their way into this war, from bakers to adventurers, everyone is making the effort. As for yourself...

>What is your cutie mark?
>>
>>27315087
A thin rapier. We are an expert swordspony, unmatched in the field.
>>
>>27315087
>>27315095
Voting for this.
>>
>>27315087
A snowflake. We have a special talent in ice spells and can even summon snowclouds.
>>
>>27315087
If we wanna be a normal pony then we can get a feather cutie mark or a chef hat.
adventure I suggest some rope or a tent cutie mark. We like the great outdoors.
>>
>>27315087
a spirling length of rope that winds together as it goes up. Our family were rope makers and with the advantage of our horn we're uniquely skilled with flails and chain weapons, using them to get around shields and swords.
>>
>>27315120
This. We're a unicorn of the North after all.
>>
>>27315120
This.
>>
I vote for snowflake if this is even and rope if it is odd.
>>
>>27315095
I like the sound of swordicorn.
>>
>>27315095
Sword sounds fun.
>>
Okay, this is deadlocked, so I'm switching my coinflip in >>27315181 to a vote for snowflake. That makes it four snow, three sword, and two rope.
>>
>>27315222
>literally the most vanilla possible option
>fun
>>
>>27315222
>>27315224
And right back to deadlocked.
>>
>>27315230
This. Swords are lame. I wanna do freezy spells.
>>
>>27315224
yeah, i'm
>>27315131
and ill switch to snowflake too, just because IP count makes it look like theres a sword samefag.
>>
I voted snowflake earlier but I want to point out that if we had a sword talent we probably wouldn't be a scout.
>>
>>27315230
>Magic
>So fucking original
How about being an unicorn who isn't magical like every other unicorn MC?
>>
>>27315273
Thats called an earth pony.
>>
>>27315120
I like the idea, but not the mark.

How about a wand or horn with a snowflake tip? To signify the magic?
>>
What if we combined the two?
Ice rapiers sounds cool.
>>
>>27315295
ice covered horn?
>>
>>27315295
That sounds stupid.
>>
>>27315295
Agreed.

>>27315308
I like that, although it kind of makes it sound like our talent is anti-magic.

>>27315303
Nah.
>>
>>27315335
Seconded.
>>
Changing my vote from sword to rope. This would be a fun way to work.
>>
>>27315403
Rope is good
>>
Eh, change >>27315117 to rope.
>>
Fuck it, changing >>27315132 to a vote for rope and rope related.
>>
>>27315181
>>27315224
These were both me. I changed it before and I'm changing it again because you fuckers deadlocked us again. Rope it is. Please end the vote now before it changes again.
>>
>>27315126
>>27315403
>>27315417
>>27315420
>>27315455
>>27315464
>The bleak opacity of your mark doesn't shine brightly on water, but it is still a sight to remember. A coil of darkened, almost metallic rope, ended in a small blue dot, which you assume signifies your magic affinity. Your mother gave you race, and your talents aren't wasted in this northern land. While others pursued direct weapons, swords and shields, you found a liking to ropes and chains, more often than not earning you titles of craven and unskilled. But you soon proved them wrong with your handling of chain weapons and traps.
>"Admiring the view?" A voice suddenly calls from behind. No other sound could you hear, and the voice itself puts your heart to ease. Approaching with incredibly muffled hoofsteps, a pony of slightly grim visage, grey coat and jet black mane enters your view. "I didn't think it took me so long to arrive, ..."

>And what is your name?
>>
>>27315470
Death Metal or Black Metal
>>
File: witn3.png (46 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn3.png
46 KB, 400x400
>>27315470
WIP
>>
>>27315470
Batten Down.
>>
>>27315470
tender hoof.
steady spaghetti. ( I like this one)
>>
>>27315503
thumbnail looks like poo
>>
>>27315470
Edgegardo
>>
>>27315483
black metal ftw
>>
>>27315470
Tight Knit
>>
>>27315470
Mortal Coil?
Chainmail?
Link?
>>
Twist Twine?
[Something] Weaver.

>>27315523
I like this one.
>>
>>27315470
>>27315523
This or Knitty Gritty
>>
>>27315470
Bound Tightly.

Shortened to Tight.
>>
>>27315532
I like just Weaver.

>>27315516
Wouldn't have been a problem with snowflake qt mark.
>>
>>27315523
>>27315537
Changing to Tight Knit.
>>
>>27315523
This has my vote. I'd rather we go by Knit than Tight, though.
>>
>>27315470
Something something Control?
I like the idea of keeping things under control, being cool headed and stuff.

Weaver Control?
>>
Knit Knot
>>
>>27315531
Mortal Coil is pretty good
>>
>>27315568
I don't really like it. It sounds too, I don't know, deadly.
>>
>>27315583
Agreed.
>>
>>27315470
Weaver sounds pretty good.
>>
>>27315583
yeah, not very pony.

also maybe loosen the coil so that there are gaps and it doesnt look as much like a poo.
>>
>>27315503
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dF2ZLq7oBk
>>
>>27315523
>>27315532
>>27315536
>>27315543
>>27315546
>"...that you'd be checking your flank, Tight."
"For the last time, Marion, please call me Knit" Tight Knit is your given name, although you've always gone with Knit.
>With sardonic faces and a slow hoofbump, you make your acquaintance. The pony before you, Marion Darkbow, is your appointed team leader, a couple years older than you and already versed in hunting, chasing monsters and pony-to-pony combat. Even some pony-to-griffon. The shining, dark arrow in his flank is a dead giveaway; his peculiar method of shooting arrows has made him a well known colt in the camp.
>"The others will arrive in just a moment. Anything to report?" The dark haired pony asks you, while observing yours and his reflection on the pool.
"Nothing. I arrived at the plains, and while the sight was lovely, there were no close enemies" you recite what you've learned. "However, I saw smoke in the distance. Past the border."

(1/2)
>>
File: witn4.png (56 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn4.png
56 KB, 400x400
>>27315761
>"So the enemy is advancing towards our camp. We'll have to go back immediately, scouting this close isn't safe" Marion nods. A dead branch cracks behind you, followed by a creaking, almost purring sound. "Oh, Merry's here-OW!" All of the sudden, the grey pony's head bobs forward, hit with force by something flying.
>"Don't you go 'ooh, Merry's here' while I'm pulling the cart all alone!" The young pegasus mare before you accuses, her forelegs closed. "Ah, who am I kidding, I love running that thing!" With a sly grin, she shrugs and slowly flies away from you two. A small cart, enough for a single pony to pull, lies on the edge of the clearing.
>The third member of your company, Merry Flight, a wheat colored mare with an bubbly mane, is quite the specimen. Usually cheery, she will often take offense for the most minute things, and you have not guessed when she's simply joking so far.
>"Here we go, weapons, weapons and gear!" Merry boops you as she walks the cart to the pond. "That's for you, lad. We've got plenty of supplies, and you just run all of your own."
"I legitimately forgot this time, sorry" not trying to hide a grin, you apologize. In that moment, Merry pulls your hood over. "Hey!"
>"Aww, I wasn't being serious, you know?" She pulls you closer to the water. "Look how cute you look without that thing on...!"

>Choose manestyle and colors
>>
>>27315770
shoulder length emo haircut
black mane
pale grey coat
>>
>>27315776
black manes are a nightmare to draw, have a heart.

uh... dark smoky blue hair and a forest green coat.
>>
>>27315807
I can dig it. How about a Maud-ish mane and shorter tail?
>>
File: witn5.png (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn5.png
26 KB, 400x400
>>27315807
>>27315819
>Removing your cloak, you indulge in Merry's insistence and take a good look at your reflection. All you see is the same pony that's been in every reflection since you have a memory. Green coat, dark blue mane and clear grey eyes, that's you alright.
>"Smiling wouldn't kill ya" the pegasus approaches from behind. "I know we're at war and all that, but morale is a thing."
"Hey, just because I don't smile it doesn't mean that..." you prepare a scrunchy retort, but another pony appears in your vicinity. "Oh, we're all together now."
>"Welcome back, Clearsoul" Marion steps forward and welcomes the new arrival. "Anything to report?"
>"Um..." the last component of your team, a pale mare named Clearsoul with a hunched gait, enters the clearing slowly. "Actually... I might have seen somepony following me in the distance."
>"Well, nothing's missing from the cart-huh!?" The black haired colt, already lost in his own planning, suddenly turns around. "D-Did you really see somepony nearby!?"
>"I couldn't tell, honest, I thought I heard hoofsteps..." with her calm, quiet voice, Clearsoul explains the situation. "I ran as fast as I could, just in case..."
>"That's it, we're going back to camp" Marion trots up to the cart. "We were ordered not to fight if possible, so let's do just that" even with his experience and a leading, expert voice, he sounds slightly worried.
"It might have been her imagination..."
>"We don't know that. Heck, she doesn't know that!" He points at the pale mare, who kicks the ground. In that moment, as if confirming the suspicion, a flock of birds flies upward from the trees nearby, clearly startled. "...Damn, that was quick."
>"What now? We chance it?" Merry lands and whispers as you and Clearsoul approach to make a close circle.
>"That... or we set a trap" Marion looks at you. "How about it, Knit? We have ropes, chain and knives in the cart. Do you have any fancy idea or should we pray to the stars and run?"
>>
>>27315993
We don't know how many they are. It can be a single guy, it could be ten of them. I say we run.
We were told to avoid conflict and contact as much as possible. A trap could lead to bad consequences in that regard.
>>
>>27315993
We're not here to intercept scouts. We fight if we have to, otherwise we get back to camp as quick as possible.
>>
>>27315993
we can make a snare trap.
>>
>>27316060
>>27316091
Guessing we're a play it by the books kinda guy. A stickler for rules and orders.
>>
>>27316249
Meh, we're a scout. You win fights or you lose them. The thing about a scout that loses a fight is he's not a scout.
He's a guy who wondered off and never came back.
>>
>>27316060
>>27316091
>>27316180
>>27316249
"A trap might work, if there's only one" you snap back. Crap, you're getting nervous. "We don't know how many ponies there are."
>"Okay, how about something very quick? At best we could delay them. One of them" Marion doesn't lose his cool easily, but he wants to get away, if anything to avoid getting the three of you into battle. He's the only one who's fought before.
>Rummaging inside the cart, you grab some rope and immediately craft a simple, sturdy trap with your magic. You've been over the motions so many times, making a trap to capture small animals and even ponies is a trivial task. Then, Merry Flight helps you set it on the ground quickly, covering it with branches.
>"That should be enough. Captain?" The pegasus informs Marion.
>"Let's go, team! Back with our kin!"

(1/2)
>>
File: witn6.png (172 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
witn6.png
172 KB, 800x600
>>27316363
https://soundcloud.com/finstheaudio/witn-intro
>It is only a few seconds later that you hear the scream. While the colt carries the cart, you and Clearsoul run ahead and Merry keeps the back, helping herself to a fast trot with her wings. After the clearly pony-made sound dissipates in the forest, others replace it: the tremor of hoofsteps, following you.
>"You were right, there are more!" Marion complains. "Merry, up to the front!"
>"But cap'n, can you get away...!?" You hear Merry complain, and then... "Uah!"
>"Merry!!"
"What happened!?" You look back, just for a moment, and the sight almost freezes you in your tracks: in between the trees, several dark figures rush forward, darting between the trees. And in between your group and theirs, a lone figure, trapped somehow...
>"Ah, ah! No, no, no no no no no...!!" Merry seems to be stuck, her wings frantically flapping everywhere. Stopping, Marion whistles, calling for you and Clearsoul.
>"I'm going to help her! Knit, take the cart. At least one of you must make it back, to report!" After saying that, the tall, dark colt turns around and rushes to meet the unknown ponies.
>"W-What, what do we do!?" Clearsoul is aghast. "D-Do we leave them!? I don't like to fight, just, please don't make me fight...!" Her body betrays her, because she's not running, and neither are you, with the cart secured to your back. Marion and Merry are alone, unless you decide to help.
>>
>>27316377
I think we should go so our chances are higher of reporting and we can gaurd clear soul because if she's ambushed she won't fight.
>>
>>27316377
Clearsoul should keep going.
We'll free Merry and follow.
>>
>>27316452
This. We need to get back fast.
>>
File: witn7.png (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn7.png
40 KB, 400x400
>>27316452
>>27316498
>>27316536
>Clearsoul is about to lose it, and at this rate, so will you.
"Okay, Clearsoul, calm down!" Cooling down, you force the young mare to look at you. "You heard the captain, we need to report what we've seen. It will be for nothing if these ponies attack the camp, do you understand?"
>The mare of pale white coat looks into your eyes with a sorrowful expression. She's torn between her refusal to fight and this grave situation.
>"But... only one of us needs to make it. M-Maybe... maybe you...?" Tears appear in her eyes. She doesn't want to ask you, but she's too craven to do anything else.
"I... I don't know if I'd be of help" lowering your head, you state the facts. "I'm not experienced in battle, and, and..." shaking your head, you grab the mare's hoof and face the opposite end of the forest. "Let's go, Clearsoul."

(1/2)
>>
>>27316658
>Pitiful, but true, is the dark cloud over your judgement. Would anything change if you were there? You're good at making traps, and using chains to coil enemies. But these enemies, so far, have been dummies and the occasional friend. This is a real skirmish between scouts, not friendly sparring. Choking back tears of frustration, you put strength to your hooves and gallop away from the noise, with Clearsoul following you.
>None of you say a thing or stop running for a while. Eventually, you both understand you need a rest. Clearsoul grabs a canteen from the cart and shares it with you. This water is less fresh, but not as cold, refreshing you just the right amount.
>"Did... did we do the right thing?" The mare asks afterward, ears flopping and trying to pick up any remaining noise, but you're too far away now. "I-I know I'm contradicting myself, but now I feel terrible... I shouldn't have become a scout, stupid me..." she bonks her head against the flat wooden surface of the cart, then looks at you with crystal blue eyes. Perhaps she needs consolation, but sometimes silence makes the best company. Should you say something, and should you rest or press on?

That will be all for tonight. Thank you for participating in this introductory session of War in the North, I hope you had fun. Next session will be tomorrow, starting a bit later than tonight. During the day, I'm going to try and post some alternative designs for hte cutie mark, so you can vote and decide better. Later!
>>
>>27316670
thanks for running fins!
>>
>>27316670
looking forward to it.
>>
I feel like now is a good time to work out a personality for Knit. An extraordinary unicorn as a humble ropeweaver that was put into the scouts by his dad to toughen him up.

Maybe the quiet type, unhappy with the fate of ropemaker? We want something greater, we are a unicorn after all!

>>27316670
Owe you lots for running today.
>>
have a good night bump
>>
>>27317911
>>
>>27316670
He told us to go, so we went. The best thing we can do is let the camp know as soon as possible.
>>
File: cm.png (66 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
cm.png
66 KB, 600x400
Here are a couple of revisited designs for the cutie mark involving dark ropes in swirling formations and flashes of icy light. Feel free to discuss which, if any, you like, or whether you have a new idea (or you'd rather go back to the first poo design).
>>
>>27320850
I like A.
>>
>>27320850
I like B.
>>
>>27320850
A is pretty killer.
>>
>>27320850
I think it'd be a better idea to go full rope of full ice/snowflake qtmark. In the snowflake camp, myself. The meaning of it and our speical talent is muddied and unclear. What exactly are we good at?
>>
>>27322481
>>27320850
Oh yeah, and I prefer B between the two.
>>
>>27320850
Really digging A.
>>
>>27322481
>full rope of full ice/snowflake qtmark
What?
>>
>>27322599
Whoops, meant to say either a rope or iceflake qtmark. Not combine the two.
>>
>>27322622
I think it's more rope and magic.
We might have and affinity for ice magic but our talent is rope, so a snowflake wouldn't make much sense.
>>
>>27322659
That kinda sounds like we have two talents.
>>
>>27322706
we dont, our talent is rope but fins is leaving the door open for ice stuff further down the line.

>A coil of darkened, almost metallic rope, ended in a small blue dot, which you assume signifies your magic affinity.

He assumes the blue bits are for affinity, so we must not be doing any ice shit otherwise he'd know.
>>
File: witn8.png (56 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn8.png
56 KB, 400x400
>>27317189
>>27320687
>You hold your eyes against the mare's for a moment, before turning to look at the treeline spawning all around you.
"He told us to go, and so we did. Right now the best we can do is going back to camp."
>"I... I suppose" Clearsoul finally says, following you all the way to your temporary home without saying another word.
>Eventually, before the sun starts sinking deeper between the tall trees, you both arrive at the forest camp, one of the three set across the border dividing the North. Of these camps, yours is the southernmost, and close to where you've been living for most of your life, so you haven't seen all that much of your homeland while travelling with your tribe.
>A series of clearings, rows of tents and makeshift homes dot the landscape around you, cut pines laying on piles and ponies going to and fro busily. The sounds of smiths working metal, ponies sparring and chatting idly echo past the trees and tents. The camp is quite big, several hundred ponies, griffons and others coexisting in a single space, many tribes united for the cause of holding the borders. Immediately, you let go of the cart and turn to Clearsoul.
>"I'm going to the war tent. I think the Commander wants to hear us directly" she states, still a bit deflated, although that's her general pose most of the time. "What about you?"
>If you turn left around here and go ahead, the spot where you and your father live is just up ahead. Maybe seeing him will cheer you up, although the stars know what he will be expecting from you. On the far north end of the camp lies the war tent, and going with Clearsoul to make sure no detail is amiss is another reasonable option. And there's always the choice of going to the canteen and getting some grub.

The final choice in cutie mark is A. I'll tone the magic lights down so it's less confusing.
>>
>>27322968
ponies and griffons in the camp eh? so its not that kind of war. good.

Lets go with clearsoul, get a better feel for the situation.
>>
>>27322968
It's our duty to report to the commander.
>>
>>27322968
Let's go with clear soul so we can confirm her report or she can confirm ours.
>>
>>27322968
We should go with her.
This demands immediate attention.
>>
File: witn9.png (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn9.png
40 KB, 400x400
>>27323009
>>27323019
>>27323031
>>27323195
"I'm going with you. We'll be able to report correctly between the two of us."
>Already decided, you push past the hunger and exhaustion, just a bit more. In the North, the tribes share everything they have, so food and a tent will be waiting for you no matter what.
>The first part of the trip across the vast camp happens silently, as you and Clearsoul take in the sounds of your temporary homeland. Ever since you were a foal, all you remember was traveling with your tribe, moving around the expanses of frozen land, and meeting other, smaller tribes on the way. Now you've been stuck in the same place for months, and it doesn't feel quite the same. In that moment, your stomach rumbles.
>"...You don't have to force yourself, I... I can make a good report" Clearsoul invites, sporting a weak smile.
"Don't mind me, this is the most important thing we've done in all day" you reply, and just then, the mare's tummy replies with a weaker grumble, causing you to smile.
>The war tent can be seen from a distance, large and square, with deep red colors, surrounded by strong ponies in metallic armor. Inside, other ponies and griffons talk in their own secluded groups, and towards the end, a large stallion with a square muzzle sits alone, looking at a map.
"Commander!" Picking up the pace, you and your partner present yourselves, straightening your backs. Iron Oath, military leader of this provisional camp, looks up. "Tight Knit and Clearsoul, scouts. We come to report with urgency."
>"Oh, our youths" he replies, showing a kind face. Despite it, you've witnessed his strength personally, and in truth it's unnerving how he can move with such composure. "Welcome back. Scout groups are usually four or more, are the others with you?"
>Clearsoul hunches back immediately. For all her talk of wanting to report, she doesn't seem willing to go first. You'll have to break the news to him, and hope to do so in a way that doesn't strike him badly.
>>
>>27323293
no, while we were scouting we were ambushed and when escaping Merry got stuck and Marion went back for her and ordered us to go on ahead without them and I didn't think it was a good idea to leave clear on her own.
>>
>>27323293
While scouting we spotted a campfire in the distance, one of our scouts was followed back to our rendezvous spot and we were ambushed, during the attack one of of our ponies was captured and our scout leader ordered us to continue to the camp while he remained behind hoping to rescue our compatriot.

The enemy is closer then we expected and actively harassing our scouting parties, sir.
>>
>>27323332
>during the attack one of of our ponies was captured
She was trapped. Captured makes it sound like they already had her.
>>
>>27323366
could have sworn there was a sign about them surrounding her. must be imagining things.
>>
>>27323321
>>27323332
>>27323366
>Well, honesty is what brought you here, so you'll do your duty as you were taught.
"Sir, we're the only ones. The others haven't returned with us."
>"Huh?" The stallion narrows his eyes.
"Earlier today I discovered a possible enemy camp past the border, later Clearsoul here was followed by an enemy scout and we were ambushed..."
>The mare nods all the time, trying not to make visual contact with anyone.
>"I see. Continue" Iron Oath puts his front hooves on the table, straightening himself. You perceive some conversation dying on the background.
"One of our team members was apparently trapped, and our team captain remained behind to help. His last explicit order was that at least one of us had to make it back to report."
>Oath's eyes have been widening during your recount, until suddenly, he stomps the ground with such force that you feel a shockwave under your hooves. The entire tent goes silent just there.

(1/2)
>>
File: witn10.png (49 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn10.png
49 KB, 400x400
>>27323525
>"Dammit!" He doesn't seem aware of the strength in his stomp, as he simply walks around the table and approaches you and Clearsoul. "You did well, but it is imperative that you tell us absolutely everything now."
>Summoning a few other ponies and a griffon in the tent, you and Clearsoul make a slow, detailed recount of your three days scouting, which ended with the aforementioned ambush. You make sure to give as much detail as possible on the location of the smoke you saw past the plains.
>"So that's it, they're finally moving in" one of the ponies replies at the end of your second report. "And from the south, no less, across the open plain."
>"They've grown cocky, these Aurorians" Iron Oath replies, scratching his chin with a massively wide hoof. He then faces you and Clearsoul. "You two must be exhausted. We'll discuss this matter later, but you should rest now..."
>"Commander!" Suddenly, another pony enters the tent. "A lone scout just arrived, says she escaped capture!"
>Clearsoul gives you an alarmed look, and your heart jumps. Could it be...? Eventually, the ragged figure of Merry Flight, cloak tattered and eyes glazed, strolls inside the tent. She aims directly for you.
>"They... they got Marion, I... Knit, I swear, it wasn't my fault, they threw magic at me, they had a unicorn too, they, they...!" Completely dazed, the mare clings to your chest and starts crying a river. You can feel her wet fur and fast heartbeat under the robes. And what's more, she's clinging real hard to you. Another pony tries to break the hug, without success.
"Uhh..."
>>
>>27323534
Start patting her back and tell her there was nothing she could have done, what's important is that she made it back to camp. tell someone to bring you some food and a blanket.
>>
>>27323534
comfort her, but try to get her to tell her story in more detail.
What she knows could save others.
>>
>>27323534
Tell us what happened, leave nothing out. Was Marion still alive? did Marion surrender or did they explicitly force his capture?
>>
>>27323534
Hold her. Wait for her to calm down then ask what exactly happened.
>>
>>27323567
This.

>>27323534
Is it me, or do I spy a pegasi formation up there? If so I bet they followed her back.
>>
>>27323660
might just be birbs
>>
>>27323666
Better safe than sorry Mr. Satan.
>>
>>27323567
>>27323617
>>27323644
>>27323652
>>27323660
>Putting your foreleg over her back, you let her cry for a while, patting her slowly. The others in the tent allow her, until the well runs dry. Outside the tent, you observe the birds flying in migration.
>"I... I'm glad you made it back" Merry looks at you and Clearsoul, who steps forward and puts a hoof on her.
"We're glad too, Merry. Honestly, I didn't know what would happen, but you returned as safe as you could, and that's important" you help the mare stand in her fours. "I know you must be even more tired than us, but it would really help if you could tell us what happened."
>Under the strict watch of Iron Oath and the other military ponies, Merry tells you how Marion rushed to defend her after the enemy scout ensnared her leg with a spell. He managed to disable the unicorn, setting her free, and ordered her to run.
>"The last I saw... well, I kicked a stallion in the jaw. Heh, at least I got that" the pegasus finally regains part of her characteristic smile, although her muzzle is drenched in tears. "But they took him. They took Marion."
>"They won't get away with us easily. Now we know where they are" a heavily armored pegasus from the circle speaks.
>"If they're still sending scouts, their attack won't happen soon" Iron Oath asserts to your friends and his council. The griffon with motted grey on white feathers brings the map to the circle of ponies. It shows the westernmost section of the North, the one where you live in. "Knowing the location of our camp, do you think you could point out where the scouts appeared, and where the smoke came from?" He asks you and Clearsoul.

(1/2)
>>
File: witn11.png (2 MB, 1050x810) Image search: [Google]
witn11.png
2 MB, 1050x810
>>27323812
>You have no problem identifying what he asks of you, although your hoof wavers a bit when it crosses the dotted line on the map. The border separating the free North, ancestral home of ponies, from the newly established region of Auroria. More than half of the North has been conquered by the opposite alliance of tribes, and little by little, you've seen the border move towards your home, slowly taking away your freedom.
>"Thank you, young ones. This will prove very useful in making our counter attack. The Aurorians don't kill our kin, so Marion must be a prisoner in their camp" having said this, the towering commander beams a smile at you. "But this is not something you need to involve yourself with. Go eat and rest, you've earned it."
>After replacing Merry's drapes, the three of you exit the war tent.
>"Well, what are you going to do?" Clearsoul asks. "I'm going to eat with the rest at the dinery... if you want to come with me."
>"I think I'll go later. I feel sick..." Merry leans on you a little. You're feeling kind of hungry now, so you could follow Clearsoul, or eat with your father. Perhaps eat with Merry, and make sure she recovers well. In any case, the sun is setting, and going to bed without a hearty dinner is sign of madness.
>>
>>27323835
Ask Merry if she would like to come and eat at our father's.
>>
>>27323835
Follow Clearsoul and tell Merry you'll bring extra food for her.
>>
>>27323835
Ask merry if she needs something
>>
>>27323885
Why not invite both?
>>
>>27323885
>>27323887
>>27323913
>>27323923
"What do you want to do right now, Merry?" You ask the mare loosely hanging on to you.
>"I dunno... maybe rest near a fire. I'm cold all over" the pegasus whines.
"Hmm... how about you come eat with me and my father? I'm sure there will be a warm fire waiting for us."
>"Sounds as good as any" Merry replies, trying to steady herself. It's not unusual for ponies to eat with different families, or not meet each other for days in this complicated mixture of tribes. Regardless, under the threat of losing the North as a free land, you have all become a big family.
>"Then, I will see you next time..." Clearsoul starts walking on the direction of the canteen. However, that gives you an idea.
"Wait, Clearsoul! Merry, stay here and rest, I will bring food" you easily catch up to the pale mare. "Clearsoul, would you like to eat with us as well? I'll help you carry the food if you want."

(1/2)
>>
File: witn12.png (77 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn12.png
77 KB, 400x400
>>27324245
>"Really? I guess... it doesn't matter where we eat, right? As long as we're warm" the mare shyly agrees, and together you go to the canteen, returning to where Merry is with four dishes of warm soup, three of them caught in your magic.
>Helping Merry walk, you make your way to the area where you have your tent, immediately catching sight of the fires being lit all around, as night falls. Circles of ponies, griffons, and all sorts of lads talk, sing and eat, their shadows complicating the view of the endless pine grooves, to the point you follow your instinct and memory up to where your father should be.
>"Who's there?" A lone pony sits in front of a fire, roasting marshmellows. His golden and black mane sparkle in the fire light. "Knit? My boy! It's been three days already? Come talk to your old pony!"
"Hello, father" you give him a short hug. Thunder Night, your father, is as different from you physically as you're similar to your mother, but he's been your support ever since she passed away.
>"What's that, food? Too late, I already ate" he sits back on the small trunk. "So, how did things go? And who are these lovely ladies behind you? Come, come, sit and eat, I'm all ears!" He looks at you with sparkly eyes. If you know him well, he's expecting some exciting tale of adventure and fighting.

Mind started drifting off while finishing the post. Will be back tomorrow with more!
>>
>>27324267
mine too. thanks for running fins!
>>
>>27324267
This is clearsoul and this is Merry.
It was a quiet few days until the end.
>>
>>27324267
We're a colt?
>>
>>27324267
This is Clearsoul and Merry Flight, they're friends and in my scouting party. Things did not go so well today father. We saw the enemy and they set upon us, they took our leader and almost Merry aswell. Here father, you keep them company while I fetch us food and drink.

I like the thought that we're short on words and have that rigid(?) way of speaking. We very much take after our mother since we spent more time with her while dad was out wrestling dinosaurs and winning but are willing to do much to make our father proud.
>>
>>27324267
Things were okay until we were heading back.
The head of our team was captured earlier.
>>
>>27324267
We, uh, we lost our leader, and Merry here almost got caught too. She's fine now, though right?
>>
boop
>>
>>27327186
>>
>>27328364
>>
>>27329267
>>
>>27325983
I thought about it and take back what I said about our speech. It would probably be clunky and limit us. I was just hoping to make him someone who speaks more with his actions than words.
>>
File: witn13.png (61 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn13.png
61 KB, 400x400
>>27325188
>>27325983
>>27325989
>>27326218
>>27330047
"These are Clearsoul and Merry Flight, father. Scouting team."
>"Your friends! Sit here with me, ladies" your father, invites the fillies to sit on the tree, near the gigantic fire. They leave a little space for you on the end. "So, how did it go?"
"What can I say? Nothing to report until today. We... had an encounter with enemy scouts. They captured our leader, and almost capture Merry... are you feeling better, by the way?" You ask the pegasus.
>"Mhm, much better next to a nice fire and..." the young mare looks to her right and left, where your father and you are sitting. "Ahaha, nevermind! But... yes, I was a bit terrified."
>"Hmm, it sounds rough" Thunder replies, not looking at you. "So, how did it feel? Being in battle?"
"I wouldn't say I took part in the battle..."
>"If you were there to witness it, you were part of it" the stallion turns his head and leans forward. "How does it feel?" He asks with a smile.
"Strange... intimidating. Nothing like sparring with friends" looking around for something to drink, you realize there's nothing. "Would you mind making them company? I'm going to get some water."
>There's a well nearby, which ponies of this area of camp can use freely. There, you find several filled ceramic vases, of which you pick one. Clearing your head, you stretch your neck and look upwards, to the black sky. Back at the fire, your father is entertaining the mares with some stories of his own.
>"...his mother and I used to travel all across the North. There's so much to see out there, the ancient fortresses, the enchanted forest, legions and legions of monsters, mountains of treasure... a damn shame we've been pushed out of it by some greedy king" he notices your arrival. "What about it, son? Wouldn't you like to visit the North, to make your own destiny as a free pony? What would you like to do with your life?" Such is his way, to ask you this kind of questions out of the blue.
>>
>>27330609
Traveling sounds nice. There's plenty of things out there worth seeing.
>>
>>27330609
Live in an ancient fortress with a lot of treasure? Explore as much as the north as we can. See how far north it actually goes.
>>
>>27330609
I really would. Almost as much as I'd like a good magic teacher so I can learn more than how to pick stuff up and make rope.
>>
>>27330672
>>27330681
>>27330709
"That sounds... good. Yeah, I like it" you smile and take your place beside Merry once again. "There must be many things worth seeing in this land. Maybe even see how far north one pony can go."
>"Hahah, well said! Your mother and I saw all we could, until we just had enough. Hahaha!" Your father reminisces with a very peaceful smile. It's hard to believe, but under his demeanor there's an extremely sturdy fighter. "I hope you will get to do that too, if you want."
"Yeah, the whole ancient fortress business sounds good enough. Although I'd also like to find myself a good magic teacher, so that I can learn anything other than wrangling rope spells."
>"Son, there's a lot of utility in what you've inherited" Thunder frowns. "Aisha... your mother crafted the most incredible things, manipulating thin silk like no other unicorn ever could. And she could fight, too! She cut so many goblin heads with metal wire than I cared to count! Gyahahaha!" Merry and Clearsoul, who until then were simply idling, turn their heads and lower their jaws. "Ah... yes, that's a story for another day."
>"Um..." Clearsoul speaks from the other side of the tree bench. "Does nopony know why it happened? This war, I mean. Maybe... maybe there's a way to cross the border without having to fight."

(1/2)
>>
>>27330923
>"Oh, nopony really knows why it all started. About seven years ago, all of the sudden, the Sons of the Aurora simply decided they wanted a king, and laws, and tributes. And then they had everypony else on the east side joining, and our border was pushed, year after year. However" Thunder sneaks a glance at you "sometimes our lads make it past their watch."
"And what did they tell us?"
>"Nothing. Nopony has ever returned. Perhaps they were captured, or perhaps they fled. Damn, perhaps they decided to join them! Either way" your father moves to put out part of the fire, diminishing the head and light, "they don't want us in, but they want our lands, too. It's unfair, no matter how you look at it."
>Later, Merry and Clearsong leave to their respective tents, wishing you a good night and hoping to meet again soon. You join your father in your tent, and sleep with these last minutes on conversation still in your mind... The bounty of the North, limitless adventure. Power thirsty kings and spies...
>"Knit. Wake up son, I need your help" snorting, you open your eyes. It seems to be daybreak already. "Ah, Knit" the slightly frowning visage of your father looms above you. "I'm really concerned."
"Wha... what is it?"
>"I really don't know what to have for breakfast! So tell me what do you want, pancakes or waffles?"
"...Are you s-"
>"Son, please" he looks like he's about to cry. The old bastard. He does something like this every single day. You know he does it on purpose, to get you on your hooves, but those faces he makes are just too ridiculous.
>>
>>27330943
pancake could be good.
>>
>>27330943
I want bagels.
>>
>>27330968
But anon, waffles are pancakes with more surface area and guarunteed syrup containment.
>>
>>27330943
Pancakes.
>>
>>27330975
quip with this

>>27330968
then go with this
>>
File: witn14.png (49 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn14.png
49 KB, 400x400
>>27330968
>>27330975
>>27330996
>>27331002
"...I want bagels."
>Your father pouts. He's just testing you, relax or he will bonk you, and that's a disgraceful way to start a day.
>"No good, son, I already have the heating stone up."
"Then I guess pancakes" anything, just to let you get up at your own pace.
>"Good answer! Now get up, it's time to start the day" cheerful, Thunder leaves the tent. Copious amounts of sunlight filter through the thick tarp and across the opening, basically finishing what your father started. As you get up, stretch and shake your mane, the smell of pancakes flies slowly inside.
>All around you, the warriors of the free North eat and prepare for a new day. With the news of the enemy's location, who knows what you'll witness next. It is very probable that ponies from all over the camp gather to prepare an incursion soon.
>However, breakfast goes by nicely, without any more satire from your father, who simply eats triple your ration in half the time. Afterwards, he picks up a large bundle from inside the tent; probably his weapon, a double blade made to be wielded with the mouth, something only ponies with strong jaws and necks can do.

(1/2)
>>
>>27331277
>"I'm going to find some friends and spar, if you'd like to join us feel free to look around" he gives you a short hug and a nuzzle before leaving. He might be a quirky bastard, but he's still your father. Not long afterward, Merry Flight appears in the area.
>"Good morning! I hope you don't mind I show up so freely" the pegasus seems to be in high spirits again.
"Of course not, this is the North and we are friends. Pancake?" You offer her some leftovers.
>"Ooh..." as expected, she takes one. Merry is indeed a voracious eater. "I just wanted to tell you... omf, nom..."
"I can wait."
>"Mmmhm... Clearsoul and I are going back to the war tent. We want to hear what's going to happen next. Maybe... maybe we'll fight, this time, for real."
"You mean, stop being a scout and rank up?"
>"I feel terrible for what happened..." Merry drops her head a bit. "Marion... I feel responsible, as a nord. What about you, do you want to help? Nopony says you have to fight, but there's always work to do" she says. Since you're not a full fledged fighter, you're free to come and go, and partake of available jobs. You could follow Merry or go on your own, with your father or around the camp somewhere.
>>
>>27331298
Let's go to the tent and then we can find out what jobs need to be done. We'd be great with anything rope related. If there is nothing though we should spar.
We want to get ready for a fight in the future.
>>
>>27331298
war tent. the more we know the better.
>>
>>27331298
Clearsoul too? I thought she'd quit after yesterday. How can I not come with you two? I was there aswell.

So they're going to commit and become like soldiers? Since apparently "fighters" have certain duties and restrictions?
>>
>>27331298
We should start thinking of a way to use our skill more effectively. Setting up traps takes time and it's useless once we face the enemy.
>>
>>27331328
>>27331361
>>27331419
>>27331454
"Wait, Clearsoul? I thought she didn't want anything to do with battles. She doesn't like fighting, does she?"
>"Well, she woke up with a different view of things, you might say" Merry ponders aloud. "She said 'I can contribute too', you know?"
"Interesting... I'll go with you, then. How could I not, after I saw what happened to Marion?"
>Yes, while still not entirely sure of what you can do with your particular skillset, your nord blood boils after thinking of Marion, the older, protective member of your group. Three days you've known him, but already it feels like a much longer time. On the way, you think about your ability to understand and use ropes and chains, and wonder what to do with it.
>"Silent today? Well" Merry slaps her forehead in jest, "not like that's changed. Are you worried?"
"I'm just trying to find something I could do, if I want to be useful."
>"Ah, yes, you can wield weapons with your magic, right? Why not swords, rapiers, and the like?"
"I'm not particularly good with blades, only chains and ropes..."
>"There are many chain weapons!" Merry flies backwards, meeting your face straight on. "When we get out of the tent, come with me and I'll show you."
>Chain weapons... better than nothing, you guess. On the war tent, activity is at an all time high, many warrior ponies and griffons reunited to listen to the different tasks being assigned.

(1/2)
>>
File: witn15.png (57 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn15.png
57 KB, 400x400
>>27331722
"There's a lot of activity today" you comment, looking both sides once inside the large square tent.
>"That is because we move soon, brother" suddenly, the deep voice of commander Iron Oath stops you right where you are, and just in time to not collide with him. "Have you come to hear the news?"
"Yes, sir. And perhaps to take weapons against the enemy" you reply, although not as brave as you had hoped.
>"Are you sure? Warriors have duties, when the need calls you will answer, or else be craven for life" the stallion judges you with his deep burning gaze.
>"Perhaps we could hear the plan first, commander?" Merry flies in.
>"Of course, that much I owe you" Oath beckons you to his desk, where Clearsoul is already waiting. She greets you with a smile, although she doesn't look all that changed, still hunched. "We will send a small team towards the place you told us" he explains "and perform a silent, nightly raid. Our objective is to rescue Marion Darkbow, and cause as much havok as possible."
>"So it will be a stealth mission?" Clearsoul perks up.
>"Yes, but we need two teams, both equally stealthy. One will scout ahead and pick any enemies lurking, so nopony notices our arrival. The other team will join behind and will perform the raid while the first team creates a diversion. I expect the first team to become sizeable, to cover a very wide area."
"We... I mean, they will have have to cross open plains to get there."
>"Yes, that's why it is a hard mission for the scouting party. If any of you wish to claim your nord honor, speak to Graven" the commander points at the griffon from yesterday. "Otherwise, any work you do in camp, preparing supplies and helping our fellows is good enough. I can't ask anything else of you."

Will be back tomorrow for more. Sorry about the times, I need to do the pictures quicker, and the posts shorter.
>>
>>27331741
maybe we can specialize in whips or something?

i've also heard of weapons that are basically long chains with weights attached on each end, or a weight on one side and a blade on the other.
>>
>>27331741
If the first team relies sets traps in the forest before the fighting actually begins, they might be able to get by with fewer members. That would also make them less noticeable while crossing the plains and if set up properly it could also delay any pursuit once everybody leaves the area.
>>
>>27331741
How about bolas? It's a cross between a trap and weapon that we can use at range. It might've helped earlier.
>>
>>27332207
I found the place where we can look at what type of weapons we can possibly get ourselves to use proficiently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_weapon
>>
beb
>>
>>27332251
The Asian chain whip and Meteor hammer look rad. Maybe we get the Asian chain whip and then meteor hammer when we've grown stronger cuz progression is cool.

>>27332237
That's be neat to throw at stuff with our magic too.
>>
>>27332918
>>
>>27333770
>>
>>27334773
>>
>>27331741
Let's ask Merry and Clearsoul what they think of it after we leave the tent.

>>27332216
The first team's job is to quietly take out any scouts or guards and create and lure as much as they can away from camp so the second group can swoop in and devastate the camp. Trying to lay traps in the dark could hinder us and take too long.
>>
>>27336153
>>
File: witn16.png (70 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn16.png
70 KB, 400x400
>>27332216
>>27336806
"I'd like to help. However, I'm good at preparing traps. Maybe the scouting team could use me to delay pursuers?"
>"The idea is to make it quick and to take on marauders" Iron Oath replies bluntly. "Without killing anypony, we rely on blunt weapons and silent takedowns. Traps would be harder to use here."
>"I've decided it" Merry suddenly speaks up. "I'd like to join the team. I'm fast, and I believe in the strength of my legs" floating up, the pegasus stretches her legs and performs some fake kick motions.
>"Merry, are you sure?" Clearsoul asks.
>"I won't lie, I'm still a bit scared" Merry descends. "But it's what my parents would like, and I owe Marion."
>"Then welcome to the effort, sister" Oath nods slowly, a glint of interest appearing in his eyes. "Just so we are clear, I didn't mean you'll have to be conscripted forever. We must defend what's left of our homeland, retake it even, but you're free to come and go across the North as you please."
"What about the other lands?"
>"Hah!" The stallion laughs, raspy. "Every other of the Nine Lands denies any help. The griffons of the Basin, the Craglands, Heroica, everypony has closed their borders. Even the wild tribes of the west attack on sight."
>Iron Oath bids you and Clearsoul to think and come back before noon, to give your final answer. Outside, you wait for Merry to commit.
"You didn't join, in the end."
>"I know, I'm such a disgrace..." Clearsoul shakes her head. "I want to do it, I swear..."
>"I did it. I've done it, I'm a fighter now!" Merry suddenly grabs you and Clearsoul from behind. "Please hold me!"
"I thought you wanted this."
>"I do, I won't screw up again! Next time I see the enemy, I'll kick them to the ground! Come on, why don't you two come spar with me?" Merry lets go of the other mare and focuses on you. "I have a few ideas for rope and chain weapons that you'll love! Please?"
>>
>>27338361
Go spar with them and see what she has to offer. She also said please so how could we deny hey?
>>
File: witn17.png (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn17.png
36 KB, 400x400
>>27338388
>You give her a nod. This should clear your head a bit and give you some ideas.
>"Yay! Clearsoul?"
>"Mmm, okay, it might help me decide..."
>"Alright, come with me!" Doing a loop in the air, the pegasus beckons you. The sparring arena is quite close to the war tent, many armored and barechested ponies fighting with all sorts of weapons. "Wait here! Clearsoul, you help yourself to whatever you like."
>While Merry storms off, Clearsoul approaches a nearby vault. Weapons with some use are laid here for general training. Jousting lances, metallic boots, polearms and bladed weapons for griffons and ponies with strong jaws. Clearsoul picks a small knife with her mouth.
>"I'm not a very upfront fighter... but my father taught me how to sneak and hunt, so I know how to handle one" she speaks, gracefully balancing the knife in her jaw all the time. The handle seems to be rigid, not made to absorb the shock of clashing with another weapon, but to be gripped with strength for incapacitation or killing purposes.
>"Heey!" Merry returns, carrying a bundle of shiny things. "There we go! I knew I saw these earlier!"
"What are they?" You manage to separate three weapons.
>"Well, as you can see, this is an ordinary chain" Merry lifts the item. "But there are weapons you can attach to it, like this!" She fiddles around with the chain and a large bear trap, linking them together. "See? the Craglands soldiers and hunters use them a lot."
"I get it now. What about the others?"
>"These are bolas" she lifts a group of three strong ropes, joined in one end and finished with heavy metallic balls. "These are good to throw, they can ensnare and hurt at the same time! And these" she shows you the last item, a couple of strong metallic wires with many knives hanging from them. "These are for unicorns, you can float them with your magic! Isn't it amazing? What do you wanna try?"
>>
>>27338632
I think the second one would be the best for the next mission.
>>
>>27338632
The knify wires look a tad crazy. Let's go for the bolas.
>>
>>27338719
yeah thats an endgame weapon right there.
>>
>>27338725
I wanna try for the chainwhip eventually.

https://youtu.be/vcPr-AP1Vss
>>
File: witn18.png (53 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn18.png
53 KB, 400x400
>>27338706
>>27338719
>>27338725
>You examine the three weapons. The chain with attachments is quite ingenious, but in the end it doesn't stop being a chain. You could try something new with the other two, so...
"Ouch!"
>"What happened?" The mares suddenly turn to you.
"These knives are pretty sharp..." you observe, feeling the pain in the frog of your hoof. You touched one of the knives forming the metallic wire weapon, and didn't realize that they had multiple edges. "This is a dangerous weapon."
>"Mhm, I've never seen anypony use it, unicorn or not. Look, it's almost new."
"I can see why. I don't think I could use this weapon properly yet" thinking of the catastrophe you could cause by just flailing the knives around without practice, you move on to the bolas. "Let's go with this. It sounds like a good option for the mission..."
>"Oh, so you've decided to come with us?" Merry claps her hooves together.
"W-Well, I didn't say anything, but I'm definitely thinking about it..."
>"Then let's practice a bit! We didn't have any chances while we scouted together, and I want to see how strong you are!" The pegasus rummages in the nearby vault and scoops four solid steel boots for her hooves. "These... unf! Are pretty heavy, but I think I can..." with a certain amount of effort, she manages to lift her body with the extra weight of the deadly boots. "Yeah!" She drops, shaking the ground with her fall.
>"So... how are we going to do this?" Clearsoul asks, still knife in mouth.
>"I don't mind if you two wanna go together, but let's have Knit decide" Merry turns to you. "Who do you want to fight, Knit?"
>>
>>27338871
Merry. She needs the practice, right?
>>
>>27338871
voting for clear.
>>
File: 1410604233001.jpg (22 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
1410604233001.jpg
22 KB, 367x500
>>27338871
Both of you. At the same time.
>>
File: witn19.png (55 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn19.png
55 KB, 400x400
>>27338951
>>27338961
>>27339063
"Hmm..." you look at the mares before you, with their different attitudes and approaches to fight. "I don't know. Both?"
>"Huh?" Merry raises a brow. Originally, you were thinking of fighting her, but something about Clearsoul makes you itch, the way she clutches that knife... perhaps she knows more than she lets on. "So you like it that way, huh? How about it?" The pegasus asks the pale mare.
>"Oh, um! I'm not very good fighting head on, so maybe that's okay?" She smiles with the knife in her mouth and scratches her head.
>"Alright! You're in for a beatdown, sir!" Merry flights back. "Let's go further inside the arena!"
>Following her, both you and Clearsoul make it to an unused space of the area. Here, the noises of metal weapons clashing and ponies panting, a slight layer of dust floating with the cold northern winds, gives a slightly more warlike impression.
>With your bolas gripped in your magic, you get used to their weight and step away from both mares. Forming a triangle from where each of you can see the others, Merry lands on the ground, in an already intimidating pose.
>"Okay! We'll go at it until one of us gets knocked down or asks to stop, alright?" She asks, to which both of you agree. "Then let's get it on!"
>Immediately, you notice Clearsoul grips her knife steady, and starts to separate from you and Merry. The pegasus, on the other hoof, stares at you head on with those armored boots of hers. None of them make a move, probably because like yourself, they're studying the situation. You can't take anything from granted in the North, so better make your parents proud and use those bolas well. The wind howls and the towering pines rustle their leaves.

More tomorrow, so we can have as much fight in a single session we can.
>>
>>27339139
Get those bolas spinning. How many do we have? Remember to always keep tabs on where Clearsoul is.
>>
>>27339139
Let's try to trap merrys wings.
>>
>>27342313
as long as it doesnt trigger any ptsd.
>>
>>27343765
>>
>>27344411
>>
>>27342313
That could work. Let's do a fake out and try to trap her legs and when she jumps up to fly and avoid it go for her wings with the second bola.

How many do we have anyways?
>>
>>27344993
>>
File: Tight Knit.png (71 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Tight Knit.png
71 KB, 800x800
Starting soon.
>>
File: witn20.png (88 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn20.png
88 KB, 400x400
>>27339826
>>27342313
>>27342941
>>27345212
>Slowly, you begin to spin the bolas with your magic. The three ropes are tied to a metal ring, which makes it easier for you to hold. In that moment, Merry lunges forward.
>Without giving you a rest, the pegasus takes on a run, raising her legs and unfolding her wings halfway through. No mercy whatsoever, the shiny tips of the metal boots head directly for your face.
"Seriously...!" She's faster than you expected, causing you to trip as you evade, and almost causing the momentum of your weapon to drop. Mantaining magical concentration while fighting will take some time to get used to. While Merry turns around, with her own considerable amount of effort, you notice Clearsoul is gone, completely vanished. "Huh?"
>"Don't fall asleep!" Here comes the pegasus again. You'll have to stop her from flying, so aiming carefully with the bolas, you finally let go with your magic. "Slow!" The item flies wide, and once again you're forced to dodge. Merry lands and turns around. "Hey, where did Clear go?"
"Beats me!" Looking around, you make sure she's nowhere to be seen and grab your weapon from a distance with your magic. Maybe if you get good enough you could stop it in midair, unicorn advantage provided.
>The battle between the two of you continues, and this time the mare skips and hops in zigzag, trying to throw you off. Honestly, gyrating the metal ring to create momentum on the metal balls isn't hard, but aiming is. You need to put effort on your horn, at this rate your magic stamina will go up like a flame!
>"Hyaah!" Jumping rather high, the pegasus extends her wings. The use of those boots might be a bit much for her, because she swoops in with the intent of knocking you to the ground. Just then, you aim as carefully as you can and throw the weapon above her head, and it grazes her! She's not changed direction completely, and what's more, she doesn't seem to have control of her wings as she free falls towards you...!
>>
>>27346659
Dodge!
>>
>>27346659
oh.

Try to slow her with magic then brace to catch her, hope she has the sense to not clock us in the face with those shoes while we catch her.
>>
>>27346659
Let's envelop her in our magic and try to minimize her descent or at least put that momentum somewhere else and "throw" her
>>
>>27346732
>>27346735
>>27346740
>While in panic, you can always count on your trusty unicorn magic to kick off in reflex, and so you immediately feel the tingling of your horn, catching Merry and somewhat slowing her descent. Nevertheless, as she approaches you make an effort to divert her course at the same time you dodge.
>"Ow, ow, ow!" The pegasus slides on beaten ground. "T-Thanks...!"
"If you hadn't those things pointing at my face I would have tried to catch you..." you retort.
>"That's fine, okay? It's a sparring match. Still, where in the stars did Clearsoul go...?" Merry gets up, stretches her legs and clears the dust off her coat with the tips of her wings.
"Are you sure you want to be using those boots? They seem heavy."
>"Now that you mention it..." with two flawless kicks, Merry tosses the hind leg boots aside. "I don't need those two to buck. Here I come, Knit!"
"Alright!" You observe the situation. There's a good fifteen pony lengths between you and Merry, however the bolas have flown far away, nearly double the distance. In that moment, something fast approaches on your peripheral vision... "Oof!" You clutch your chest as something whirls past you.
>"What did I tell you? You snooze, you lose!" The snarky pegasus stops, this time in perfection, and trots in place. "Whew! I feel much lighter now!"
"You don't say..." you try to grab your weapon from afar, but it's just out of reach. Seems about twenty or twenty-five pony lengths is your limit. You'll need them, however Merry is ready to do another pass at you. Her hit and run strategy is frustratingly effective, and her speed has increased without the rear boots. Here she comes again, you need to find a way to recover your weapon and stop her attacks...!
>>
>>27346923
Try throwing up some dirt in her path.
>>
>>27346923
run towards her and then jump past her?
>>
>>27346923
Use our magic to redirect her momentum and push her into the ground. Then we try to pin her.
>>
>>27346943
>>27346948
>>27346985
>Here she comes again. This time you'll try to confuse her...!
>The moment Merry spreads her wings to give herself propulsion to kick you, your legs bend and impulse you upward, enough to pass right over there. Using your magic, you push your hooves upwards. It doesn't really do anything with your weight, but it's more of a psychological thing.
>"Whoa!" The pegasus stops short of her jump, but before the can turn completely, you use your magic and push her to the ground with a soft 'pomf'. As the filly falls, you jump and pin her to the ground.
"I got you now!"
>"B-Be gentle, please...!" The mare squirms and blushes profusely.
"Huh!?"
>"Hah!" In a split second, her face changes, putting the armored boots against your chest and throwing you away. "You have a lot of reflexes, but you're kind of a softie, aren't you?"
>You can already hear her gallop towards you. When the tremors around you get stronger, you scoop a hoof full of dirt and toss it her way.
>"Gyah!"
"Soil of the North!" Running like a maniac, you manage to grab your bolas and begin spinning them around again. Merry is confused, trying to wipe her face of mud, but the steel booties don't help. However, before any other thought crosses your mind, you feel a presence behind you...

(1/2)
>>
File: witn21.png (58 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn21.png
58 KB, 400x400
>>27347146
>WHAT THE
>>
>"Soil of the North!"
did we name our attack? kek.
>>
>>27347154
one option is to use buck.
another is to roll forward.
>>
>>27347154
Throw behind us.
>>
>>27347201
>>27347252
>Options flash through your mind in a split second. Do you buck her? Do you risk hurting her? Or rather, do you evade, perhaps throwing yourself forward...? Your weapon is there, can you move it in time...!?
"Oof!" It's too late. Before you even know it, you roll around in the dirt and a lean figure stands on top of you, knife edge dangerously close to your neck, her muzzle so close you can feel her breathing. Clearsoul's eyes feel a bit too charged in murderous intent...
>"Oi!" Merry suddenly appears with a single, non booted hoof to put on Clearsoul's side. "There you are! Good job, that was fast, I haven't seen you for the whole of it!"
>"O-Oh! Yeah, I was around..." The mare slowly retreats and lets go of the knife, before her eyes calm down and open wide again. "I did it... I caught a pony! I did it!"
"You sure did, and it was impressive. Where were you?" You ask while getting up.
>"Oh, I... I was... around..."
>"Nevermind that, you're fast with that knife! You totally have to come with us, and put some fear in the Aurorians when they see you come out of nowhere, like a ghost! Ahahaha...!" Merry laughs and removes her last steel boot. You suppose this calls the end of the squirmish, with a no less than impressive effort by everyone and your ultimate loss.
>"I think I want to do it, but... This is the first time I actually raise a weapon against a pony. It felt... I don't know, odd? Ponies aren't wild beasts."
>"Oh, ponies can be beasts alright" Merry wiggles her eyebrows at you. W-What does that even mean!? "What do you think, Knit? Shouldn't she come with the mission? Heck, if we all go together we can help each other out, we already know how we work a little bit!"
>>
>>27347407
After that poor performance, I'm not sure we should go.
>>
>>27347407
Keeping the team together does sound nice. She would also be good at taking out enemies with that stealth of hers.
>>
>>27347154
Shit. Speed stats must be crazy.

>>27347407
I'm not happy with our performance. Knit is not happy with his performance. We lost, we were indecisive, we were slow.

>"Oh, ponies can be beasts alright"
Found the Fins obligatory lewd character.
>>
>>27347493
hey, we were outnumbered and we beat Merry once.
>>
>>27347504
We are going to be outnumbered, potentially heavily outnumbered. Also getting a lucky hit on a rookie isn't something to feel proud about, especially when you consider how easily she turned the tables on us.
>>
>>27347591
her tactic only worked because we knew her. in a real fight we wouldnt pin to hold, we'd pin and put a hoof through their face before moving on.

But yeah, everyone gets outnumbered and everyone losses when outnumbered. we're not some special snowflake whose going to be 1v5ing. If we're heavily outnumbered we're either running or fucked anyway.
>>
>>27347622
We can barely hold our ground in 1v1 and that was when our opponent is a complete novice and doesn't want to kill us. We did get hit several times after all, in a real battle that would result in actual injuries. We're soft, we'll hesitate even if it's a stranger.
>>
>>27347493
>>27347494
>>27347503
>>27347504
"Uhh... I don't know, I don't feel as if my performance was really that good..."
>"What!?" Merry immediately rises in the air and floats with sass up to your face. "Knit, you fought an armored pegasus on totally flat ground, evenly, and barely flinched from a steel hoof to the chest! Are you sure you're an unicorn?" She moves away a bit. "Don't you think I was going easy on you!"
"Well, if you put it that way... I guess my father is an earth pony after all" a hoof gently grazes your leg; Clearsoul, once again, has approached without making a sound.
>"Um, I saw you fight and I thought you were pretty good. I have experience fighting monsters, up in the mountains... but now, I think I can fight against ponies too, and I thank you for that" her smile is as pure as snow. Moments earlier, her eyes wanted to grind you into mince meat.
>"Yeah! There's still some time until we leave, so why don't you come with me and chat a bit, Knit?" Merry offers you a hoof, while Clearsoul turns around. "...Clear?"

(1/2)
>>
>>27347685
welcome to medieval warfare, the other side is going to be nothing but peasants too.
>>
>>27347692
>"I'm going to enlist" she turns around once more, and the smile she flashes at you feels different to the previous ones, more confident. Perhaps this time she will do it. Meanwhile, you go to a nearby tent for refreshment. Several tables and ale barrels have been set, sweaty ponies having a jolly time resting.
>"Knit, I don't have field experience either. Our days scouting were the first, and I thought you a reserved colt, but you're actually a chatterbox, aren't you?" The pegasus supports her head on her hooves, mulling over a mug of ale with interest. "Nopony survives in the North until they've weathered their first few fights, and what's better than galloping alongside your brethren?"
>She sighs and takes a long drink. "I was on the fence until this morning, but I want to go out there... No, I want to reclaim our land, to be free again. I was thinking of trying to cross the border by myself and seeing what's so crazy about kings and walled cities. I just... I want to feel like I'm not wasting my youth caged in a tiny piece of land."
>Suddenly, she blinks and stares at you. "Ouch... sorry, haha, I get way in the mood sometimes...!" She calms down a bit and sips from her mug. She doesn't seem to have anything else to say, so maybe you could try to discuss it with her, or any other topic you'd like. Otherwise, your mug is still near full, so who cares, right?

Back tomorrow with more!
>>
>>27347700
If they were just a bunch of farmers, how did we loose so much territory to them? It's fatal to underestimate our enemy.
>>
>>27347705
i love you
>>
>>27347763
You're right, clearly they are the elite warriors of the enemy king trained from birth and forced to murder their brother as a rite of passage.

Come on dude. The same way anyone losses territory in a war. You've allowed yourself to become frozen in fear, jumping at shadows. We lost when outnumbered, so what. We're never going to take a fight like that by choice and expect to win.

We beat merry and merry is going, so are we going to sit at camp while our friends fight and die, or are we going to go and fight to protect them and reclaim the north.
>>
>>27347812
>elite warriors of the enemy king trained from birth
Exaggeration doesn't help your argument. It's undeniable that they at the very least know how to use their weapons, unlike us. It's a safe bet that they've fought before, unlike us. We also can't rely on the idea that there will always be somebody to watch our back while we're in the middle of a fight. I'm not saying that we shouldn't go, I just feel that your stance is being way to overconfident for the life or death situation we'll be walking into.
>>
>>27347985
>I'm not saying that we shouldn't go
That is exactly what you said.
>>
>>27348299
I'm not sure we should go. =/= We shouldn't go. I'm uncertain and looking for a rational discussion on whether or not we should go. The only thing I got so far was the teenager "I'm invincible" argument.
>>
>>27348546
The only person arguing for being a special snowflake is you, because you seem to have this idiotic idea that enough training will make being outnumbered okay.

Your objections are all absurd and unfounded, so we're going.
>>
>>27348642
Special snowflake? How is it ridiculous to think that we might be more of a hindrance to others than an asset in a fight?
>>
>>27348901
Because we DIDNT do poorly. We got bumrushed and outnumbered, the lesson there is to not fight when outnumbered, not to train more under the asinine assumption that training will let us take bad fights.

You're saying we didn't do that well so what if it happens again? The answer to that is exactly the same if we had done well, we retreat, get allies, don't fight bad fights.
>>
>>27349050
How do you know that taking this mission wouldn't constitute "fighting a bad fight"?
>>
>>27349570
We'll find out when we get there and if it looks bad we'll act accordingly.

How do you know they wont surprise attack the camp and kill everyone who stayed behind? it's silly to jump at unknowns, only act on real information.
>>
>>27350239
If this was an RPG I'd be asking if everybody thinks we're at a high enough level for this quest. Could we at least train enough with the bolas so we can actually hit the target? It'll only be harder in a combat situation and fighting in the forest will present a lot of obstacles that we might hit instead.
>>
>>27347705
Seems foolish to fly out on your own. You've heard how ponies never come back. But you know... there are other lands than the North if you feel that way. You aren't tied to the land you are born. Merry, I don't know if I'm made for being a warrior. I could barely hit or doge you. I'm not like you or escpecially Clearsoul. She's a natural fighter with experience fighting monsters when all I've ever done is handle rope. I would be nothing but a hindrance.

I'd like to think Knit is opening up over the course of drinking here. I like the idea that Knit is very hard and super critical of himself. Ready to attribute the success to another pony or reason and always taking blame on himself. Kind of person that thinks very little of themselves and it bugs the shit out of you.
>>
>>27347705
we also want to travel though we don't really care for walled cities and kings.
>>
>>27350319
of course. ideally we'll never stop training over the course of the whole quest. Most likely signing up for the combat missions will itself involve training or using our scout training to set us up as runners.
>>
bomp.
>>
>>27353472
>>
>>27355236
>>
>>27356809
>>
>>27358149
>>
File: witn22.png (290 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn22.png
290 KB, 400x400
>>27347807
>>27350598
>>27351634
"That's a bit foolish, isn't it? Crossing the border on your own, I mean. There's a whole world to explore beyond the North."
>"But Knit, the North is the only thing we have right now" Merry kicks the table softly with her hooves. "None of the other lands will let us go until this war is over! And I know it's not the best idea, I just..." she sits back again and pouts. "I'm just thinking about it. Passively."
"Well, I'm passively thinking of staying here. I want to go out there someday too, not for the allure of those walled cities, but just because it sounds like a good thing to do at my age, and I could learn more about the world" you speak between sips of the ale. It is a rather sugary, intoxicating essence. "I think I'm just not cut out to be a warrior, Merry. I could barely hit you or dodge."
>"Bollocks. Knit, we might not even have to fight, we're only going to make sure nopony sees us at night..."
"But compared to you, and specially Clearsoul, I won't do any good out there" you finish your drink, almost instinctively looking for another one. When there's none, you pout. "All I've done since I got my cutie mark is prepare traps and coil rope..."
>"Well, you can stay here and mope if you want" Merry gets up slowly, her tankard rolling around the table. "I'm going to prepare near the war tent with Clear. If you have a change of heart, you know where to find us" she begins walking around you, headed for the exit, however before leaving your vision she turns around and whispers to you. "I promise I'll be back, and you'll see that it's just fine."
>Turning around, you watch her flank sway as she exits the tent. For a second, you feel a hervor in your cheeks, and almost blurt out 'I love you' like the tipsy madpony you are. Leaving the tent, you watch her go and consider your options now. Your father should be with his friends somewhere to the south, but you might as well go around camp as much as you like.
>>
>>27358902
this map makes me want to set traps all around the perimeter.
That's also another reason to get a house! So we can make a bunch of rope traps.
Let's talk to father. we can ask how to be a better fighter.
>>
>>27358902
daddy
>>
File: witn23.png (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn23.png
47 KB, 400x400
>>27358972
>>27359086
>Turning south, you start walking. One last look towards the direction of the war tent shows that many ponies and others are gathering, probably to get the last enlisting done, eat a hearty meal and start the mission.
>Meanwhile, you simply walk towards your tent, feeling a bit heavy in the shoulders. Damn, ever since you got ambushed while scouting, you've been realizing just how little you know about fighting. You were so sure when you enlisted, since there were no ties to it, but now these are bigger orders.
>Your tent is empty, save for the sleeping sheets and some warm clothing. Despite not having a need for it, your father keeps a few golden bits hidden in a boot, from days where he roamed the Nine Lands.
>South of where you rest, there's another large area dedicated to practice, where your father usually spends most of his time. His endurance is legendary, far surpassing yours, and at this point you've realized you could never catch up. He did say your mother learned to fight in these lands, too, but you're sure her style was much different...
>"Hmm? Hey, kid!" A gruff, resonating voice calls you. Lifting your head, you behold the titanic sight of a massive biped body staring down at you.
"Oh, hey Scrambler" you recognize this voice. Scrambler is a minotaur from the far west, and a friend of your father. His size and muscled complexion show many years of hardened battles, a gigantic axe with a long handle always hanging off his back.
>"What's with that attitude?" He replies, jokingly. "You seem a bit out of your mind. Something wrong, kid?" He sits on the ground and gives you a sort of menacing stares. He's a good willed fighter, but all of his motions just come off as scary and powerful. Nevertheless, he's always helped you and your father when you needed it.
>>
>>27359312
we think we're not cut out for fighting.
>>
>>27359312
I'm... I don't know if I'll ever be as strong as my father. Kinda feel like a dissapointment. Bah, I'm just having a pity party, I'll get over it.
>>
>>27359444
>>27359520
>Scrambler is a good guy, perhaps he will understand.
"I... I've been sparring with some friends, and I just realized that I'm not cut out to be a fighter. I feel like such a disappointment now..."
>"Hmm, what's that?" The minotaur picks his nose while looking at you condescendingly. However, you know he's paying attention. "Is that all? Don't be so out of it, you haven't grasped that many weapons yet, right?"
"Right, but... there's a mission departing at noon, for a settlement. The captain of my scouting team got caught, and now we're sending a party to get him back, and put some fear on the Aurorians. I was thinking of joining, but with my experience, they wouldn't have any use for me..."
>"Ah, that's right. Well, you didn't do wrong" Scrambler sits straight and scoots up close to you, in the flat ground near the arena. "It's good to know your limits, but you're underplaying yourself, aren't you?"

(1/2)
>>
File: witn24.png (36 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
witn24.png
36 KB, 200x250
>>27359767
"Maybe... yeah, just don't mind me, I'm just throwing a pity party... I need to find something to do now, so I thought of seeing father..."
>"And here I am!" Something falls on you from behind, forcing you to hold their weigh. You father is a ton of pure muscle. "What is it, son? Don't let your father amiss from his duties!"
"Ugh... father, I'll never be as strong as you, will I?"
>"Define strong" this old bastard, clinging to your back as if he were still a foal, murmurs. "You can be strong in your own way, just like your mother. You probably can't match me or Scrambler in a hoof pulse, but..."
>"Oi oi, don't break your kid just yet" the aforementioned minotaur grabs Thunder from you. "And you lost, so go get food. For the kid too."
>"Yes, yes. I'll be right back" giving you a smile and a nod, your father departs. Scrambler sits right next to you and puts a huge muscled arm around your neck.
>"So, would you like to learn how to fight better?" He asks. "You can ask your father and I, we're the damn best in this corner of the camp these days. To be honest, though" he grins "I've beaten him more times that he cares to tell, so if you want to learn with me instead of him, it's only natural."

I'm not feeling all to well, and it's a calm day, so I'm going to stop. I'm sorry for making the session half as short, I will return tomorrow with a more regular one.
>>
>>27359782
It's always good to face new opponents and we've already learned a lot from our father. I think we should see what Scrambler has to offer.
>>
>>27359782
i love you get well soon and thanks for running
>>
>>27359782
I guess it wouldn't hurt. Or hurt alot... but yeah, can you tech me some?

How many bolas we have? Three seems like a nice about to have.
>>
Bump it.
>>
>>27359782
We have magic, right? Why don't we practice using more than one weapon with it? Like why not have a dozen daggers levitate around you cutting from all sides? Or why not have Bolases, Meteor Hammers, and Chain whips all at once?

Our magic can be the offence. All we really have to equip on ourselves is just a shield for each leg to protect our self.
>>
bump...
>>
>>27365507
>>
>>27366152
>>
>>27363703
Sounds like a great way to over encumber ourselves and quickly wear out our magic. Let's stick to basics.
>>
File: witn25.png (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn25.png
47 KB, 400x400
>>27360394
>>27362002
>>27363703
>Thinking about it, you've enacted more than enough fights with your father, whenever he tries to get you, and you end up pony wrestling him. A teacher like Scrambler should prove useful.
"I wouldn't mind to learn what I can from you. Do you know how to use bolas and other chain weapons?"
>"Bolas? That brings me back!" The huge minotaur gets up on his legs, slightly too thin for his upper body. "A good capture weapon. You don't have any of your own, do you? Follow me."
>Nearby lies Scrambler's tent, full to the brim with weapons and winter clothing. Every now and then you see him with a wooly piece on. The minotaur gives you a similar set of bolas from before, two ropes with heavy balls on them tied to a metal ring. On the way back to the arena, he continues his explanation.
>"There are two components to handling those balls right, kid. First, the spin, no matter which angle, you need to keep a good spin. And then the throw, that's harder than it looks" he stops talking for a second and pokes your horn. "Shouldn't be too hard with magic, mm."
"Yes, I've spun them a bit today... however, it leaves me defenseless if the throw goes wrong" you could use multiple weapons, but at this point in time, you doubt you could handle more than one.
>"Ahaha, yes, you need something in the way of defense. But there's a use of bolas that not everypony thinks of. With enough practice, you can use them as a melee weapon, and throw them only when you need it."
>You hadn't thought about it, but those sturdy balls, rotating at very high speed, have enough force to crush bones with a direct blow. With your magic, the amount of effort becomes minimal, giving you two different styles, throwing and melee.
>"Alright!" Scrambler takes you to the arena. "What do you wanna learn, throw or hand to hand? If you want, we can fight later. Don't worry" he taps the handle of his massive axe, "I won't arm myself. That would be unfair, ahahaha!"
>>
>>27368998
let's learn throwing since melee sounds easy to learn and do. Or would we be wrong in that assumption?
>>
>>27368998
Should learn it's intended purpose before learning how to fight directly with it.
>>
>>27368998
We really needed some work on our aim. Also it was harder to keep them spinning in the middle of a fight.
>>
File: witn26.png (124 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
witn26.png
124 KB, 400x400
>>27369030
>>27369047
>>27369104
"I could use the aiming practice. I suppose learning how to use it in close quarters would come naturally after."
>"Haha, certainly, if you don't learn how to spin those bolas quick, you'll end up with a lot of bruises! Ahahaha!!" Scrambler laughs while unstrapping his axe. He asks for the bolas and retires a few steps. "Watch."
>What happens later ends imprinted on your memory for the ages: the bolas begin to spin in the hands of the minotaur, and then they pick up speed, and more, and more... soon, a true stream of metallic grey surrounds him, the balls spinning at unreasonable speeds all around his body. Changing hands every so often, they cover his entire body without giving him a scratch, motionless, metal too fast to even follow with your eyes...
>"And that's what you can do, with lots of practice and fear of failure!" Scrambler gives you back the weapon. You watch him go unscathed and position himself at a safe distance. "Now it's your turn!"
>Afterwards, before and after your father returns with some food, the minotaur teaches you the best way to feel the momentum of the balls and throw them in the correct direction. Turns out, after a few tries, you learn the trick completely, and don't miss the mark on basic targets. Scrambler, all heart, plays the target.
>"That's my son, right there!" After practice, Thunder Night grabs you from behind. "What did I tell you? You have warrior blood on your veins!"
"Turns out I just needed to be taught. Yikes..." you struggle under the weight of your father, while Scrambler approaches you with the bolas.
>"Keep these kid, they'll do you more good than me" he offers you the weapon.
>"Oh, that reminds me!" Thunder exclaims. "The raid teams are leaving now! Do you want to come wish them a good hunt?" He then asks you. You could do that, although the prospect of more training with Scrambler or solo doesn't sound bad either.
>>
>>27369324
Let's go see the raid team.
>>
>>27369324
Now that we can at least hit the target, we should try to help out.
>>
>>27369324
Yeah, let see 'em.
>>
>>27369392
>>27369449
>>27369478
>Your friends... this is the last time you might see them for a few days, provided they come back safely. And bringing Marion with them... you owe them at least one salute.
"Let's go see them" you assert, and shortly after, the three of you head for the east side of camp. Scrambler gives you a nifty brown belt from to hang your new bolas.
>There's a great amount of commotion at the east exit. Many warriors gather to watch how several platoons prepare to gallop across the frozen lands. Now that you've learnt how to properly use a weapon, you feel a small tinge of regret. Maybe you could have done well after all... but your test will come another time.
>Amidst the mass of armored ponies, you spot Merry and Clearsoul, dressed with leathery pieces designed for warmth and protection. The pegasus spots you, and calls Clearsoul to give you a hoof wave. You reply with your own, as a horn sounds from far back, prompting the nord ponies and griffons to ride out.
>After the glorious stampede departs, the mass of onlookers begins to spread, however you notice a few ponies are gathering everyone else around in small groups. A white pegasus with a striped blue and white mane lands nearby.
>"Attention, everypony around me, please gather round! Ahem" she clears her voice and speaks out loud. "This is a message from our commander, Iron Oath: today, scouts have reported the existence of a second Aurorian base of operations, in the forests across the border. Attack is to be expected regardless of the raid's success, so we must reinforce our patrols this side of the camp" she looks around. "Anypony able to wield a weapon may volunteer to patrol!" With that, she remains silent, and right off the bat a couple of ponies go talk to her.
>"Ooh, patrols, it's been a while since I did night duties!" Your father whispers. "What about it, Knit? Want to come for a shift or two? They don't seem to require enlisted warriors."
>>
>>27369647
Sounds good.
>>
>>27369647
Let's go. Patrolling will be great.
>>
>>27369647
Let's make ourselves useful.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.