[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did the "ponies are anthro" meme originate from?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
File: wewlad1.jpg (174 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
wewlad1.jpg
174 KB, 800x800
Where did the "ponies are anthro" meme originate from? I've been seeing it not only here but on reddit as well.
>>
>>26954297
>he visits reddit
That's it I'm done

>hurr it'll be better with you gone
Enjoy your reddit user base fags
>>
>>26954297
No idea.

Can't say I really care, either. I'd fuck all of these.
>>
>>26954297
>large anime like eyes
>flatter more human-like face
>front hooves are shown to have at least some of the dexterity of hands
The ponies themselves?
>>
>>26954297
nice bait faggot
>>
>>26954422
What fucking bait?
I want a fucking honest to God answer.
>>
>>26954297
If you'd fuck anything else than the first one, you seriously need to consider suicide.
>>
It comes from people who define 'anthro' as 'anything that isn't 100% accurate to a real animal.'

At that point, the definition is so broad that literally every show that isn't a documentary is anthro. Which, I suppose, they technically are, but again, the definition is so broad that the term itself is meaningless.
>>
>>26954438
The only one you could realistically fuck is the last one and even then it's a big stretch t b h famm
>>
>>26954444
>Quads
Why do you hurt me so?
>>
>>26954297
Furries. They wanted to label all ponyfags and bronies as furries, and wanted to say that any attempts to say MLP characters are not furries as wrong because it is trying to look too hard at the word used and because they are sentient they are anthro cuz that is a human trait. To this I say everything can be labeled as furry because of how vague that statement is and how wrong that is, because than all AYY LMAOs would be counted as furries too when in reality sentience is not just a human trait and this is just stupid. Anthro counts as furry, pone does not.
>>
>>26954440
Anthro isn't a strictly dichotomous quality, unless you mean the stereotypical furry style of drawing characters, and even that is debatable. FIM ponies are a little anthro. They can be a lot anthro depending on how they're drawn. Just look up "semi-anthro" on Derpibooru.
>>
File: literallyme.jpg (10 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
literallyme.jpg
10 KB, 320x320
>>26954297
Anthro usually efer to animals talking walking on 2 legs and having and opposable thumb to grab things.

But it may also just refer to animals acting like humans and copying our society. For example Littlest Pet Shop have talking animals but they know and are aware that they are animals so it's not really anthro.

MLP have them doing human jobs, discussing humans life issues and using human tools. They are literally Zootopia tier of anthro but without bipedal stance and fingers (they do however often use their hooves to grab things instead their mouth)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzvH6_e2a-U
>>
>>26954297
They are anthro. They talk and live in towns.
>>
Because anyone who has a firm grasp of the English language knows the definition of 'anthropomorphic', and knows that the MLP ponies easily satisfy this definition.
>>
>>26955476
"Morphic" refers to their shape, not their behavior. They haven't fingers, they aren't bipedal, so they aren't anthro. Now kill yourself.
>>
People think antropomorphism in biology means the same as antropomorphism in furry culture.
>>
>>26955485
They are bipedal sometimes. They hold things in their hooves. They have human eyes, they have the human vocal apparatus, their psychology is similar to ours, they have human emotions, their social interactions are similar to ours.
>>
>>26955485
Anthropomorphic is defined as 'ascribing human form or ATTRIBUTES to a being or thing not human.' Now I don't know about you, but given that 'attributes' is defined as 'a quality, character, characteristic, or property' of a object or organism, ponies are certainly anthropomorphic, given they tend to show attributes that humans do. For one, their fashion industry, their interest in books, and their style of architecture (while the latter isn't consistent with modern humanity, it is consistent with humanity throughout the ages from way back when to several decades ago).
>>
>>26955491
People have the good sense to tell which is intended. The man on the street isn't going to think you're talking about furry culture if you bring up the word in conversation. This is just ignored by some people in order to produce more artificial outrage.
>>
>>26954297
by definition they are "anthro" but I still distinguish anthro and pone
>>
>>26955506
>>
Since this thread is destined to die anyways, did /mlp/ get any good names gets during the Google+ April 1 theme?
>>
>>26955440
Or anthro can also refer to anthropomorphic. To put it simply it means a variety of things but the gist of it is how humanized a non-human entity is.
It's not even something restricted to animation. Theology teaches about anthropomorphism and how God exhibits anthropomorphic behavior. After all, God is non-human and in Christian theology he displays human behavior to communicate with mankind better.
The brave little toaster is an anthropomorphic toastah.
That one anime about racing, that one some fucker linked with those girls with horse ears. That's anthropomorphic as well since those girls are meant to be race horses given human traits.
Hell, EqG and Humanized are about as anthropomorphic as you can be.
In short anthropomorphism has nothing to do with hybrids or any of that shit.
>>
>>26955525
By human eyes, I think that anon meant that they have the same style of eyes as humans. Horses in the real world have eyes like that of goats, or frogs - horizontal. Spherical eyes - the type that ponies have - are more common in carnivorous creatures or predators.
>>
File: 1455787306652.jpg (74 KB, 480x582) Image search: [Google]
1455787306652.jpg
74 KB, 480x582
>>26954297
>>
>>26955540
Not to mention that their eyes are forward facing most of the time. They are only shown on the sides of the head in profile.
>>
File: 1459540495198.jpg (55 KB, 640x416) Image search: [Google]
1459540495198.jpg
55 KB, 640x416
>>26954438
>>
File: 1456833718020.png (300 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1456833718020.png
300 KB, 700x700
>>26954297
>on reddit as well
>>
File: 1452860373014.gif (2 MB, 243x316) Image search: [Google]
1452860373014.gif
2 MB, 243x316
>>26954297
>>
>>26954297
here when people started to use logic
>>
>>26954297
The word Anthropomorphic are Greek words that literally means human shaped. So any animal like creature or object that is given human form or limbs is to be considered anthro.
So humanized pony is anthro since it's just pony heads on human body's and unguligrade anthro is of course anthro since despite having lower halves of a pony, they tend to have human arms and hands.
Semi-Anthro pony lies between being anthro and not anthro depending on whether or not you see ponys being bipedal enough of an excuse to be considered human shape, which in my opinion, it doesn't. Some artists however, tend to give semi-anthro ponys human like arms, so it all depends.

With all that in mind, ordinary MLP ponys are not anthro. There is another term that describes animal like creatures that have sapience and human like intelligence called Zoomorphism, or sometimes just non-anthro.

The Equestria girls when they "pony up", also have their own term that best closely describes them as, is Kemonomimi, or more specifically, Umamimi, humans with horse ears.

There's also a term that more closely describes what Semi-Anthro is, called Kemono.
Example: http://exhentai.org/g/913088/893710d7fd/
http://exhentai.org/g/712257/4db76315f7/

So after all that, anthro or Anthropomorphic is giving something non human, human body parts or shape.
>>
>>26954297
Furrie who want every animal character to be furry, so they can say you can't hate furry because you like loony toons (for example), therefore you already like furry.

It is often propagated by shitposters.
>>
>>26954297
>Anthropomorphism definition. (an-thruh-puh-mawr-fiz-uhm) The attributing of human characteristics and purposes to inanimate objects, animals, plants, or other natural phenomena, or to God.

Just fucking google it, you stupid faggot
>>
File: 1373459863450.png (346 KB, 1280x1211) Image search: [Google]
1373459863450.png
346 KB, 1280x1211
>>26955528
What, /mlp/ had no good gets?

Also I'm surprised this thread is still alive.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.