[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was Rainbow Rocks so perfect? Why was the first movie so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13
File: Rainbow_Rocks_Poster_2.jpg (48 KB, 277x358) Image search: [Google]
Rainbow_Rocks_Poster_2.jpg
48 KB, 277x358
Why was Rainbow Rocks so perfect? Why was the first movie so lackluster? Why was the third movie a jumbled mess?
>>
File: AwieLLU.png (83 KB, 325x508) Image search: [Google]
AwieLLU.png
83 KB, 325x508
>>26909259
because best character
>>
>music
>antagonists witch actual character
>>
>>26909259
>jumbled mess
Rainbow Rocks was the real mess with all of the brony memes shoved into it
Friendship Games didn't have to appeal to the fandom to be good
>>
>>26909338
>all of the brony memes
pray tell.
>>
>>26909259
Because it was rushed. Give each movie another 30 minutes to develop and they would've been better.

RR > FG >>>>>>>>>>>> EqG #1
>>
>>26909259
The music in RR is great. It is probably the biggest reason to its success. The Sunset arc was good too but the music made the movie. In FG however, the music was OK. If they included the Sunset and Twilight duet, I'm pretty sure more people would have liked the movie.
>>
>>26909259
I tend to view it as the Dark Shadows movies.

All of them had the original cast in them, but none of them were canon. And it doesn't help that the reason they were created was to sell crappy bratz dolls. On top of that, Rainbow Rocks had no actual rock songs in it
>>
>>26909259
Because the sirens make my penis hard.
>>
>>26909445
/thread
>>
>>26909361
That entire fucking montage of the fandom's favorite meme characters during Under Our Spell for one
>>
>>26909545
>theyre not allowed to use characters from their own show
is that really all you have?
>>
>>26909597
>Wasting screentime with epin fandom shoutouts and pandering is totally okay!
Could you sound anymore like a fucking brony?
Also they shoehorned in Vinyl and made her an important part of the final showdown with the Dazzlings
>>
>>26909787
you didnt say fandom shout out, you claimed they used meme characters, which is to say they used characters.
none of it was a brony shout out or a meme. try again.

>vinyl
hasbro makes the writers include toys in the movie and show. they have to work around that. its not optional. stop pretending like this isnt a toy show and youll have a better time.

>brony as an insult
>i-im a horsefucker!
lel, newshit.
>>
The music was really what carried it.
Hell, if you just pick up the soundtrack, you get 100%
>>
File: image.png (890 KB, 1122x2484) Image search: [Google]
image.png
890 KB, 1122x2484
>>26909259
Because Rara's sexy feet.
>>
File: Mine's bigger.png (690 KB, 757x581) Image search: [Google]
Mine's bigger.png
690 KB, 757x581
>>26909259
>Why was Friendship Games so perfect?
ftfy
>>
>this anon in here arguing like it's an anime
>thinking the writers care about characterization
>>
Each EQG installment got better than the last but it wasn't until Friendship Games that I got over my bias for the series.

Friendship Games divorcing itself from Equestria was exactly what the series needed.
>>
>sirens
>three, terribly cliche and boring villains
I'm convinced that the only reason people like them is because they're the only villains in the entire abomination of the movie series to get even an ounce of personality
>>
>>26909259
I have a hard time deciding which one I liked more, RR or FG. RR obviously had better music, but I liked the character development of Sunset more in RR. It wasn't just "oh no, no one likes me because I used to be mean"
>>
File: 1444587526613.png (325 KB, 415x425) Image search: [Google]
1444587526613.png
325 KB, 415x425
>>26910148
This guy understands
>>
>>26909259
>Why was the first movie so lackluster?
I got 30 minutes into it and felt that I had to stop. Does it get any better at all? Is it worth it to just skip it for the other two after it?
>>
>>26910786
At least watch the very end with Twi and Sunset's confrontation, because they reference it a lot in the others
>>
>>26910786
Well I don't think you should skip it regardless of how bad it is, but you'd pretty much understand what happened if you skip it and go to the second one because they talk about what happened in the beginning of RR
>>
>>26909259
all 3 overall were okay
I hope they do better in EqG4
>>
>>26909407
>>26909445
Both of these. The soundtrack was godlike and the sirens were fun characters in addition to being hot.
>>
File: rock and roll pone.jpg (65 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
rock and roll pone.jpg
65 KB, 500x375
>>26909259
because everything is improved by the addition of saving the world with the power of rock and roll.
>>
>>26909259
the movies all suck and aren't canon so irrelivant
>>
>>26913864
Except the movies are fantastic works of cinema and are completely canonical
>>
>>26909259
But I liked the third movie.
>>
>Why was the third movie a jumbled mess?
Josh Haber
>>
File: 1410817220268.gif (498 KB, 300x222) Image search: [Google]
1410817220268.gif
498 KB, 300x222
>>26913875
>>
>>26909259
>Why was the third movie a jumbled mess?
Have you seen the deleted scenes? The third movie could've been really good, but they had to rewrite it, and after removing all that Sunset's scenes, it feels hallow.
>>
File: 1459045679671.gif (866 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1459045679671.gif
866 KB, 450x450
>>26914366
It wouldn't have fixed the problems the movie had on a basic technical level.
The way I see it, the movie was split into four plots:
1. Scitwi's interaction and integration into the group
2. Vampire locket
3. Crystal Prep
4. Sunset's homesickness

The most obvious issue with the movie is that four different conflicts going on at once is impossible to pull off in 80 minutes. They tried to get around this by cutting out Sunset's story, but it was too little too late.
Even with those scenes added, Scitwi's interactions with the group would still be minimal and unsatisfying, the magic battle would still be empty spectacle, the Shadowbolts would still be underdeveloped and rushed, and Sunset's story would end up being incomplete and lopsided anyway. With them gone, it just stirs it up worse.

There is no mix of plots cut and uncut that would have turned out well, they should have gone back and torn up the roots if they wanted to make a quality story. Obviously they didn't, but that doesn't really matter anymore.
Again, this is all without even going into the problems with the content itself. We don't even get to the ideas and messages of the movie before we get gridlocked by all kinds of shit.

Full stop, tl;dr, 2>1>3 (even including the deleted scenes).
>>
File: medium.jpg (56 KB, 538x600) Image search: [Google]
medium.jpg
56 KB, 538x600
>>26914487
They didn't cut Sunset's story out, they replaced her scenes with something worse and then they tried to fill the gaps.
final montage: 2>1>3
considering alternate scenes: 2>3>1
>>
>>26909396
>á Ž>>>>>>>>>>
Being that much of a faggot.
>>
>>26909259
Because of the sirens and Sunset Shimmer. It wasn't perfect though.
>>
>>26914366
Well it was a direct to tv cash in.
>>
File: 1457756045230.jpg (43 KB, 448x595) Image search: [Google]
1457756045230.jpg
43 KB, 448x595
>>26909259
I can tell you all about why the first movie was an objective steaming turd.

>>26905921
>>3 movies
the first movie did nothing but harm her character and that is the one that introduced her. A movie with a redemption story should have the evil person actually appear evil, not someone with the intellectual maturity of a 4 year old child (not exaggerating). Sunset is probably literally in her schools version of speded, and there's actually no possible way for her plan to have gone the way it did without it being twice as everyone else's fault.

Twilight didn't just ask for her fucking gold ass crown back that is obviously not a plastic prom toy.

Celestia and Fluttershy accepted the obvious jewelry as a prom toy,

Celestia and luna let in two obvious not students despite both of them getting into a ton of trouble, even to the point where sunset was voted prom queen for 3 years.

Sunset did not steal the crown despite being capable of doing so and having done so in the past. furthermore, even if she did get caught, she'd have the crown and could just leave, so there is literally no reason to give a shit. The most flattering outcome imaginable is that she has no idea what an element of harmony does in. Her idea of incriminating someone is to send a couple of bad texts and doctor with glue and scissors, which should see luna fired for ever taking it seriously.

The remane five are such awful friends that they stopped being friends with all of their friends just because of a few messages from one of their friends each all overnight, because that's what human beings do right? I harp on humans a lot but Jesus christ no.

Sunset even casually tried to kill the mane six after making a very direct point to spare spike in order to not be a monster when he was the perfect leaverage, and twilight is a moron for ever thinking a fucking hammer could do anything to the mirror.
>>
>>26915790
Sunset has proven time and again that her plans only ever succeed at the failure of others to do feats of intelligence that are beneath that of children who can't dress themselves. And despite getting as far as she did its made very clear by the events and sunsets actions that she has no idea what her plans actually are or what she's doing, she's not a villain with a redemption story, she's a loose canon that someone left the safety off of. None of her actions or morals have ever had any kind of consistency or demonstrations of any kind of higher planning or intelligence.

Sunset should be shipped to a farm to ride docile ponies and do simple tasks. It's the only safe place for her sanity and mental limitations
>>
>>26915790
>obviously not a plastic prom toy
you don't know that it was made of
>Celestia and Fluttershy accepted the obvious jewelry as a prom toy
again assuming what it's made of

>Celestia and luna let in two obvious not students despite both of them getting into a ton of trouble
Twilight I'll give you, but Sunset has been there for years, so she had plenty of time to forge documents

>that next paragraph
you don't know how she had gotten hold of the fake one
the EoH of magic is the most powerful of the 6 and since she comes from a world that deals with magic doing many things, she figured it would boost her own power

I'll grant you that the "doctored photos" was bad
and Luna should have seen it as such (I blame SS's lackeys)

>The remane five are such awful friends...
do you not know how easy it is for a friend in high school (even ones you've known for years) turn on you?
she had time to work her way through them and sow seeds of distrust, it's unlikely it happened "overnight"

>Sunset even casually tried to kill the mane six...
That was the demon side of her, she was not in control of herself, as you could see during her transformation that she instantly regretted it
she was going to smash the frame of the portal, which would have destabilized it and or destroyed it completely

the whole prom queen was a challenge to Twilight by Sunset, "I bet you can't fit in" (basically)
Twilight is not a thief and she pointed out several times that her story would have sounded crazy to everyone else, so she decided to "when in Rome" while figuring out how to get the crown back

>>26915796
>plans
the only one she every really had was in the first movie
there wasn't much she could do while stuck in a non magical world
her army would have been turned into ponies on the other side and she would then have complete access to all their pony powers (strength, flight and magic) either by siphoning it off them or making them use those powers
>>
>>26910066
Rara wasn't in that movie. Do you perhaps mean Rarara?
>>
>>26916231
continued...

if her army succeeded to get through she would have overran the princesses and the rest of the mane 6 who at this time were nowhere near their elements and is presumed they wouldn't have worked without the EOH Magic (this is never explored, which saddens me)

she would have simply had to "march" across Equestria and ensnare any pony in her path with the same mind control she used (much like what Sombra did in the alt timeline with the enslaving helmets)

and my theory is that Sunset HAS been to Equestria since she had first left for the EqG universe
how else would she have known what the EoH of magic to look like?
"the whole gang really IS back together again" (or a line very close to that) she stated, which tells me that she worked very hard to keep the human5 from being friends because she saw that their pony counterparts represent the EoH and didn't want it to interfere wit her plans
"What makes HER so SPECIAL" (again, a line very close to that) then she snaps and tackles Twilight
which also tells me that Sunset saw the friendship that Twilight had in the ponyverse and was jealous, so she made sure that the humane5 would never be friends (she may even have had a hand in keeping Scilight at the other school somehow)

I think that Sunset and Twilight were candidates to oversee the SSC, but Twilight was chosen and SS grew even more jealous from seeing the friends and took that revenge out of the humane6
SS would pop in to check up on her "rival" and adjust her world domination plan
someone calculated that the mirror would have been open 3 times (I think) between S1 opener and EqG
>>
>>26916231
>>you don't know that it was made of, it could have been plastic
wow, look at this shining example of pig shit.
no, i do know what its made out of; NOT shiny PLASTIC.

>>Twilight I'll give you, but Sunset has been there for years, so she had plenty of time to forge documents
>forge us documents
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

>>you don't know how she had gotten hold of the fake one
it wasn't hers, she stole it.

>the EoH of magic is the most powerful of the 6 and since she comes from a world that deals with magic doing many things, she figured it would boost her own power
if you payed attention to what I was saying instead of blowing your own shimmer waifufaggotry out your slimy anus you would realize that shimmer realizing that that is true, would make her even more retarded for not immediately taking the crown and ensuring she gets stronger.

>>do you not know how easy it is for a friend in high school (even ones you've known for years) turn on you?
yeah, I do, yes i had it happen to me. you have no point, this is friendship is magic, the mane five are terrible friends and given the fucking inhuman response they had (they stopped associating with eachother overnight instead of you know, arguing and complaining on face book or whatever). they didn't act like people and you cant possibly blame shimmer on their seperation from one another as they are responsible to deal with problems as friends to begin with and they straight up dont.

>>its unlikely it happened overnight
thats exactly what happened. theres also no reason for sunset to ever put more effort into that as all she was doing was bullying them, she doesn't know who the elements of harmony are until after going to equestria.

>>That was the demon side of her, she was not in control of herself, as you could see during her transformation that she instantly regretted it
how observant of you, but thats not what we see happen in the STORY of equestria girls, even if the art direction logically makes it.
>>
File: 1424139165427.jpg (99 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1424139165427.jpg
99 KB, 500x500
>>26909259
>>
>>26915790
I actually like the first Equestria Girls despite it not being well written.
>>
>>26916231
>>she was going to smash the frame of the portal, which would have destabilized it and or destroyed it completely
no, its a fucking hammer weilded by a slight teen girl, it wouldn't have done shit to a stone frame and it would do even less if you smashed it against the surface of the mirror, it certainly wouldn't have done anything to prevent twilight from jumping through with spike.

>>challenge
what challenge? it wasn't; a challenge to fit in, sunset rigged it in her favor when twilight won, if you're so retarded you actually buy that, then explain why, after twilight won, instead of doctoring some poloroids like a 4 year old retard sunset didn't just steal the crown immediately and ensure it didn't end up in twilights hands?

>>twilight is not a theif
Her crown is real jewlry, its a royal fucking crown. she doesn't need to steal it, and its not celestias right to keep it anway.

>>her army would have been turned into ponies on the other side and she would then have complete access to all their pony powers (strength, flight and magic) either by siphoning it off them or making them use those powers
missing the fucking point once again, if sunsets plan is to kill people who stand in the way of that goal, her letting go of spike and refusing to steal the crown under any circumstances that a retarded child could see through is proof that she doesn't know what her plan is.

We know she could have stolen the crown, walk her way into celestias office and smash the glass its behind, its that fucking simple, even if celestia happens to be there, its a fucking prom toy to her, she just going to try and call the police, and shimmer wont care because she'll have her powers and be unstoppable. this doesn't happen because she is too busy playing a popularity contest and gluing polaroids. shes a retard with no understanding of how to do anything.
>>
>>26916231
Sunset wasn't even fully successful in my view.

Applejack was still shown to be friends with everyone except Rainbow Dash, she was the least affected.
>>
>>26916335
>>if her army succeeded to get through she would have overran the princesses and the rest of the mane 6 who at this time were nowhere near their elements and is presumed they wouldn't have worked without the EOH Magic (this is never explored, which saddens me)
she would have overran them with what exactly? high school students that don't know how to be ponies? as we saw when twilight first entered EQG's universe? with no weapons? through a small portal? it would have been a fucking slaughter. her army may as well not be there. the only piece on the board that isn't just a mild destraction is herself and she's too stupid to pull off an invasion.

>>and my theory is that Sunset HAS been to Equestria since she had first left for the EqG universe
the portal opens every 30 moons or some bullshit, so no, that wasn't what happened because twilight and the elements, the crystal empire, and even the element of harmony itself would be different, locked away, not discovered, and not friends respectively.

>>"the whole gang really IS back together again" (or a line very close to that) she stated, which tells me that she worked very hard to keep the human5 from being friends because she saw that their pony counterparts represent the EoH and didn't want it to interfere wit her plans
except this is impossible for reasons already fucking stated.

>>"What makes HER so SPECIAL" (again, a line very close to that) then she snaps and tackles Twilight
or more likely, sunset tried to be friends with the remane five and was either ignored or treated badly because as previously discussed, the remane five are fucking awful friends, and she took it out on them. and given that the elements of harmony need the elements of harmony, there is no reason to suspect that the remane five will become a threat, if she actually thought they where a threat, she wouldn't have casually tried to kill them as though it was going to work, she would have been afraid of them.
>>
>>26916335
>>I think that Sunset and Twilight were candidates to oversee the SSC, but Twilight was chosen and SS grew even more jealous from seeing the friends and took that revenge out of the humane6
>>SS would pop in to check up on her "rival" and adjust her world domination plan
every 30 moons dumbass.
>>
>>26909259
Rainbow rocks > equestria girls > friendship games
>>
>>26916572
This
EQG series is better left for fun gags and action sequences. EQG1 is fun because it is a crazy adventure for Twi and Spi, not because the story is actually well put together.

For the entire series the Mane5 are worthless and are probably best ignored, the series does right by not wasting their time on developing almost literal carbon copies of our mane cast.
Expect in EQG 4 for it to still focus on Twi, Spi, and Sunset
>>
The thing is Equestria Girls works when it is focused on plot rather than characters (usually) and Rainbow Rocks has the most straightforward and entertaining plot out of all three.

It also helps that there was spectacle and the villain was a lot of fun, but topping Rainbow Rocks is probably an incredibly easy task.

The problem is Hasbro doesn't have a clear idea of what the series is still and has it mooch off of FIM almost literally to get people to watch.
>>
>>26916569
And there were 100 moons between the pilot and Apple Family Reunion
What's your point?
>>
>>26916572
>>26916585
That's really fucking stupid
The first movie is fucking boring and consists nearly of nothing more that shitty high school drama and bullying up until the end
Friendship Games has all of those competitions and SciTwi's magical fuckery running throughout it which is actually engaging.
>>
>>26917268
You may be right. I actually prefer the first film because it is a fish out of water story for Twi and Spi.

It is very much so a personal bias.
>>
File: Equestria-Girls.jpg (6 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
Equestria-Girls.jpg
6 KB, 612x380
>>26917268
>the first film is boring
>the third was flashy so it's better
boring>incoherence
Every single second of every single minute of ever single hour of every single day of the week.
>>
>>26909259
I legit can't understand why anyone would favorite a bog-standard "good guys vs bad guys" plot just because it had ok if generic villains, flashy lights, and decent music. It was a fairly shallow experience, but no doubt better than the first.

I think with Friendship Games a lot of the neighsayers expected or only wanted more of what they got in RR. But it was something much deeper than that. It was a character arc about SciTwi, which thoroughly developed her personality and weakness and gave reason for why she became corrupted by magic, and gave motivation beyond just "being evil for the sake of being evil (the first)" or "being evil to feed, because it's just in her nature (RR)". It created an actually interesting conflict by fully exploring one character instead of being spread thin to cover every single other character. This is where I think some people who liked RR over FG were disappointed; they were expecting a plot-centric movie, but got a more heavily solo-character driven movie.
>>
>>26918681
Except the third movie isn't incoherent; everything makes sense
The first movie is the incoherent one with plot holes and meaningless shit stuffed into if that accomplishes nothing
How ANYONE could say Friendship Games is worse than what is objectively one of the worst things in G4 is fucking rediculous
>>
>>26920001
The games themselves made no sense you can't have a good movie with a shit framing device
>>
>>26920185
>The games themselves made no sense
They did though
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.