[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mare in the Moon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
What do you think of the first 2 episodes of season 1?

What do you think needs improving? The structure/pacing perhaps?
The entire execution of it?
>>
>>26695070
You're a few years late
>>
>>26695127
It's never too late to discuss your favourite things.
>>
Keep the script, but update the dialogue for smoothness. Bring in the animation from S5 and you're set for #1 and #2 best episodes of the series.
Also abort Twilight's tiara.
>>
>>26695289
>tiara
what about it
>>
>>26695249
I'm sure I've said all I have to say years ago.
>>
>>26695070
The story was interesting, but it always felt like it should have been longer, despite being a two-parter, like they crammed far more in and didn't develop the characters enough before they became friends.
Children wouldn't have the attention span and it would have cost way more though.
The dialogue is a bit awkward in it, but that only stems from all the voice actors trying to settle into entirely new characters. I bet it would sound pretty damned good if they revoiced it all.
>>
>>26695293
Puts a sense of superiority into the character that the show would have been better off without.
>>
>>26695329
It establishes that she is the main character, and shows that her element (magic) is the one that links all the others together.
>>
File: vlcsnap-5232-12-22-18h53m27s257.png (711 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-5232-12-22-18h53m27s257.png
711 KB, 1920x1080
>>26695070
It had some flaws, but it's how everything started, so I wouldn't change anything. Plus, it contains one of the scenes of the show that always give me huge feels, pic related.
>>
>>26695359
You don't need to make a character better than her peers to establish her as the main character. Shit, it would probably be better if you didn't if you aren't going to use it to teach anything anyway.
Also, I really dislike the assumption that the only way to find unity in a group is by bowing down to someone within it. I feel like the same thing could have been accomplished in a dozen different ways without the authoritarian overtones.
I mean, it would be as simple as having her get a silver necklace instead of a gold. It doesn't put her above her friends but it shows that she has a special place in the group.
>>
>>26695442
You're reading into it far more than exists. They need to give her a big flashy one as kids likely wouldn't pick up on a subtlely different piece of gear.
>get a silver necklace instead of gold
Gold is higher than silver generally, you're literally putting her 'below' her friends in that case.
We also know she has flaws and that her friends help her out throughout the episode. Kids also find characters other than her to be their favourite. If Twilight was portrayed as being superior, then people would only like her.
She is the unifier and a leader of sorts, but only insofar as to be helpful. She is never protrayed as being "authoritarian" for fucks sakes.
>>
>>26695513
You're stretching. It doesn't matter if it's a silver necklace or gold with silver lining, all that matters is that it be different than the others without being a symbol of authority /over/ the others.
I don't know what kind of children you've interacted with, but I've worked with some in the past. Given that a 5:1 color ratio is the opposite of subtle, I'm pretty confident that most kids would be able to pick up on Twilight being different. That's why silver is the best option, because it contrasts naturally with gold.
And on the topic of silver, it works because it balances out the characters. All the others may have gold, but they aren't the main characters. Twilight doesn't need gold to show that she's important, the entire arc is about her pulling everyone together and establishing a group dynamic. What her having silver does is show the audience that while she is the main character for us, she is not privileged above her friends in the in-universe relationship.
It would be a reminder that she is not better than her friends, as opposed to the tiara which seems to push the opposite message.

Now, I don't know what you think having a crown means. But, in almost all contexts it means superiority. While that superiority may not have been seen in the first two episodes, post-MMC it's shown constantly. You can't say that she isn't superior when she has been explicitly put above her friends for the past two seasons.

Now, I would agree with you that it isn't authoritarian if that superiority was temporary. If the superiority was only accepted when it would be helpful. But that's the opposite of the way it is.
Twilight is /always/ in a position of power, and a time where she doesn't have that power is an exception, not the rule. It's not that she takes up leadership when it's helpful, but that she only gives it up when it's actively harmful. The difference is important because that's what makes it authoritarian, the lack of necessity.
>>
>>26695312
>but it always felt like it should have been longer, despite being a two-parter
That's because the events aren't very varied and the storytelling is on-rails linear.
>>
The episode should have had villain perspective. It would have made things more interesting and varied.
>>
>>26695289
This. Fuck tiaras. Amulets a best.
>>
How come Zecora wasn't introduced in the episode?
>>
Sugar lump dump
>>
For fucks fuckihg sake just discuss the show already you cum guzzling greentexting faggots.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.