[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we agree this was the worst S5 episode?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13
File: maxresdefault.jpg (630 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
630 KB, 2560x1600
Can we agree this was the worst S5 episode?
>>
File: MLP_S5_episode_rankings.jpg (132 KB, 500x513) Image search: [Google]
MLP_S5_episode_rankings.jpg
132 KB, 500x513
>>25624966
Yep.
>>
File: 1402932828371.png (294 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1402932828371.png
294 KB, 600x600
>>25624966
MLP:FiM ended in MMC.
>>
>>25624976
I mostly agree with this list, though I don't think the Discord episodes were that bad.

The map episodes were surprisingly weak, though.
>>
>Spike, the most respected figure in the Crystal Empire is shown as being unknown to these ponies, even the ones from the Crystal Empire
>Hamfisted and clearly edited "fifty cities" lore that makes no sense
>Spike giving out advice that actually makes sense and shouldn't need Twilight's approval anyway
>Ponies being shits and not being able to work together, then blaming Spike for doing something wrong
>Spike being presented as evil for doing things out of a genuine concern for Twilight
>The bad things Spike did while taking advantage of the title literally had no impact on the predetermined plot
>Contrived as fuck sneeze trees
>Unfunny as fuck ending

Please fire Dusedau.
>>
>>25624976
>Mane Attraction
>better than Cutie Map and Hearthbreakers

>Castle Sweet Castle
>not in the bottom 3
>>
>>25625011
We got spoiled by Griffonstone, I think. Part of the problem with the map episode was that the whole "lol we have to find out what the problem is before we can fix it!" plot really dragged the pace down. Made in Manehattan is probably the weakest of the three honestly.
>>
>>25624987
Actually it's still running. Did you know there's 2 more seasons?
>>
They should kill spike off already
>>
>>25624976
Amending Fences, CotlM, Do Princesses... and Slice of Life all deserve to be top tier but I don't think there is a clear winner among them because they're all such different episodes to the point they don't really compete with each other, if you know what I mean.
>>
*Hooffields and McColts
>>
>>25624966
How come the worst episode of each season is always a Spike episode?
>>
>>25624976
How in the world did Scare Master and The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows end up above Make New Friends But Keep Discord and Canterlot Boutique? /mlp/ seemed to like the latter far more than the former when they first came out.
>>
>>25625113
Spike is a great support character but as a main character he falls flat on his face. The writers should just accept this fact and stop making Spike episodes already.
>>
File: eldritch.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
eldritch.gif
1 MB, 500x281
Tantabus best villain
>>
File: corey1.png (233 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
corey1.png
233 KB, 800x900
>>25625113
Because only Corey Powell (secretly a dragon) knows how to write good Spike episodes. Everyone else just makes him a beta baby that everyone else looks down upon.
>>
>>25625125
It was a it of a letdown it turned out some magical thing Luna created to punish herself rather than the source of the Nightmare corruption.
>>
>>25625113
I was going to correct you, but I think you're actually right.

>Owl's Well that Ends Well
>Dragon Quest
>Spike at Your Service
>Princess Spike

I'm not sure season 4 fits into this pattern, but for the rest, Spike always seems to be at the low point of things.
>>
>>25625156

I prefer that explanation

Luna was responsible for own suffering, and wallowing in guilt made it worse
>>
>>25625011
Discord episodes are the worst and I wish they don't need that stupid map anymore.
>>
>>25625137
Does she still work on the show?
>>
>>25625113
Because it's a meme to overexaggerate how weak his episodes are. But this season it was because no writer has a clue what to do with him.

>>25625137
Shame she left.
>>
>>25625156
I would have been disappointed if it was the source of Nightmare Moon. It would have weakened her character by making her just a victim of circumstance rather than a true ex-villain, plus it would have been a rather cliched explanation for the monster. Having Luna's guilt be responsible for everything made for a much more interesting story.
>>
>>25625072
Those are just fanfiction.
>>
Princess Spike wasn't the worst episode. If you can get passed how they made him a beta, it's pretty good.

5/10
Slice of Life
The Cutie Map- Part 2
The Cutie Map- Part 1

4/10
The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows

All of these are worse, for starters. Internet edgelords loved "The Cutie Map", but it's an adult story told poorly, rather than a typical MLP episode of a kids' story told well. Scare Master and Make New Friends but Keep Discord are kiddy, but told excellently. Appleoosa's Most Wanted is another solid 8/10.

>>25625188
>>25625191
I've been following her on Twitter for ages, am a big fan, and I still have no idea what she's doing now.

https://twitter.com/coreyannepowell

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0694070/

Looks like she wrote some (based) season 4 episodes (I forgot about those) and moved on to some other kids' shows.

From her Twitter, it seems like in her spare time(?) she foster-hosts some dogs until they get adopted.
>>
>>25624966
No it was the worstest in the MLP history
>>
>>25625267
She wrote Inspiration Manifestation. And no, I don't excuse Princess Spike because it wants us to laugh at someone who basically did nothing wrong and falls over itself to poorly present him as having done something bad. It fails miserably. Meta wise, it's an emperor has no clothes deal. The episode is saying one thing but anyone who is watching it can clearly see another.

Dusedau just cannot write. It shows with his other episode this season too.
>>
>>25625298
>It shows with his other episode this season too.
Which one was that?
>>
Should Spike not get any more episodes?

Are there any good Spike episodes?
>>
File: JUST.png (250 KB, 621x346) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
250 KB, 621x346
>>25624966
Can we agree to JUST
>>
>>25625221
Technically speaking, so was season 1.
>>
>>25625314
What About Discord? If anything having two Discord episodes this season really made WAD a lot weaker. Both of them had Discord acting like a dick and getting karma'd for it, but one was enjoyable to watch and the other was not.
>>
>>25625267

Agreed on Cutie Map, it was a disgracefully boring fuck up of a very mature theme. 44 minutes go by and they barely even bothered making it atleast funny.
>>
File: erm.png (304 KB, 505x767) Image search: [Google]
erm.png
304 KB, 505x767
>>25625315

>Are there any good Spike episodes?

Dragon Quest?
>>
>>25625333
Ah, yeah, that episode's execution was pretty terribly flawed.
>>
>>25625315
Spike needs a different kind of episode, one that develops him like the main six episodes have been developing them. He's had decent stories like Secret of My Excess and Inspiration Manifestation, they're just less common than his bad episodes.
>>
>>25625342
>>25625315
Secret of my Excess is in my opinion the best Spike episode.
>>
Who is the most developed male character?
>>
>>25625358
Big Macintosh as of season 5.
>>
>>25624966

>Hoofields bellow Manehattan

What a load of fucking shit. Is this because tasteless shits waifu Coco?

Both stories are boring, but Hooffiels atleast bothered having good humor and character interaction.
>>
>>25625267
Make New Friends but Keep Discord is worst episode and the kids doesn't like Discord, it gives them nightmares.
>>
>>25625298
Oh yeah, I forgot which one Inspiration Manifestation was. I didn't love that episode. Rainbow Falls is a 9/10 for me.

>>256>25336
It doesn't hold a candle to the countless other "communism r bad" media there is. Animal Farm for example.
>equality / communism episode
>the reveal is that the leader doesn't hold themselves to the same standards of everyone else
EVERY FUCKING TIME

>>25625333
>>25625343
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2146307/
What About Discord was a 6/10 for me. Discord at his worst. (Except that godawful season 4 episode with "Glass of Water").

>>25625351
>It has been 1600 years since Secret of My Excess
>The Spike / Rarity relationship will just be used as a joke, rather than developed into anything
>Nor will it be given a graceful death like how Gravity Falls handles crushes

>>25625358
>>25625363
Discord is the most developed. Big Mac is a beta for the writers just like Spike is. Occasionally they let him say lines to emphasize how much of a beta he is otherwise. He did get development this season but it pales to the 1(?) other male character on the show.
>>
>>25625333
Discord IS a dick and a jackass!
>>
Am I the only one who likes Spike?
>>
>>25625406
Nothing wrong with his character. Just that many of his episodes take the wrong approach and end up terrible.
>>
File: mad.jpg (911 KB, 1132x1254) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
911 KB, 1132x1254
>>25625384
WAD was fucking garbage. It's on the same level as Princess Spike and honestly makes me consider skipping any future Discord episode because so far since his reformation they've all been the same shit. This one was even the same fucking thing as Three's a Crowd. If you hated that episode I don't know how this one isn't shit too.

It was Discord playing dumb about being a little shit to fuck with Twilight and then getting shit on in the end. Whoopee. Real creative.

How about they change the status quo for Spike like they did with the CMC?

>mfw all of the CMC and Spike episodes in S6 are Starlight or Discord episodes
>>
>>25625426

>Nothing wrong with his character.

Which character? Each new writer means a new spike with no real continuity between his developments or lessons learned
>>
Is it just me, or was Spike kind of an asshole in Season 1? He made fun of the Mane Six when they got infected with the Poison Joke, and insulted Twilight's nest.
>>
>>25625406
That's the point. Spike IS a likeable character and he does have great supporting moments, but the writers enjoy humiliating him in the worst possible ways in his episodes (the anthem scene in Equestria Games is quite possibly his lowest point). That's what makes us mad.
>>
I think there's something wrong with me.

I think Spike is cute.
>>
File: 1446084346366.jpg (33 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1446084346366.jpg
33 KB, 500x333
>>25624966
Does it matter? He could of had an ok episode and this topic would still be here.

>>25624976
>Crusaders of the Lost Mark and Slice of Life that high
>Made In Manehatten below yak episode
>pic related
>>
>>25625436
I actually liked WAD because it gave us pre-MMC Twilight back for a while. You know, the paranoid, skeptical, OCD and FLAWED Twilight we all used to love before she got her wings.
>>
>>25624966

Aw hell yes!
>>
>>25625488
Yeah WAD was pretty good except for that awful "Discord was an asshole to Twilight all along" twist at the end.
>>
>>25625488
The whole rant thing made no fucking sense because the rest of them should have been able to tell that Discord was going overboard trying to upset Twilight by themselves. It just made them look bad.

>>25625474
The anthem scene was required to make his success scene more meaningful. It fucking hurts knowing that people hate what is probably one of Spike's best scenes later and one of the best morals in the series because they didn't understand what build up is.
>>
>>25624976
Anyone know the source for this list?
>>
File: 1426077719048.jpg (45 KB, 300x287) Image search: [Google]
1426077719048.jpg
45 KB, 300x287
Every Spike episode is a bad episode.
>>
>>25625526
The fireworks scene was enough of a build up, the anthem one was just overkill.
>>
>>25625507
...which literally completely ruined the whole point of the episode. Discord didn't become friends with Twilight's friends because he wanted to be friends with them. He became friends with them to fuck with him.

This completely goes against not only the S4 finale where he learned what friendship really is but also Make New Friends But Keep Discord where he fucking was so defensive of a true friendship that he took the smallest perceived threat to it and blew it out of proportion.

And all of this was to fuck with a pony who is mildly annoyed by his presence to begin with. He threw out all of that just to hear Twilight get upset for like, a day and a half. And it backfired massively. Yeah, really good episode for Discord.
>>
>>25625384
I'm disappointed in you as a person for using "beta" unironically, but you're right, Discord is the most developed male character the show currently has. I had actually forgotten about him or I would have said the same.
>>
>>25625488
What I liked was that she didn't go overboard with her panic. Had this been S2 Twilight, she probably would have outright attacked Discord, but she's matured out of that sort of thing now. The episode showed that Twilight can be developed over the course of the show without losing her personality.
>>
>>25624966
Well it may be a pointless episode, but ill admit that it gave me a few keks
>>
>>25625507
I didn't like it cause it left me with the feeling that the mane 6 were assholes even though I knew they weren't trying to be. Them--barring Fluttershy--going along with Discord for anything, off screen, felt off given all the hesitation and guarded-ness in the past. And did the events of Discord's betrayal just never happened?
>>
How has a Spike and Pinkie episode not been done yet? They’d play off each other very well, with Pinkie being the silly one, and Spike being the straight man.
>>
>>25625620
Pinkie? How about a Spike and Fluttershy one? They seem terrified to pair him with anyone but Rarity or Twilight and it's very strange.
>>
>>25625633

We know his relationship with Twilight, Rarity, and to a lesser extent, Applejack.
>>
>>25625654
Writing a Spike/Rarity or Spike/Twilight episode is like writing an Applejack/Rarity episode. Nice and safe but ultimately you're just going to be retreading shit.
>>
>>25625654
I'm still hoping for an episode where Spike gets to hang out with Cadance and Shining Armor.
>>
>>25625620
I want that too but I've given up. The writers seem determine to not allow him to interact with anyone barring Twilight. And even that is disappearing. Just look at the finale: it's just Twilight and Spike and the dragon seem to disappear halfway through the first part. His existence not even mattering except to grab a map--which Twilight could have done with her magic. Compare this to the first EQGs movie.
>>
>>25625701
I don't know why he can't talk to anyone but Twilight or Rarity without it seeming stilted.
>>
>>25624976
I cannot understand that metric. Care someone to explain?
>>
>>25625315
Inspiration Manifestation was a good one.
>>
>>25625073
They should just kill you off already.
>>
>>25625315
Does A Dog And Pony Show count?
>>
>>25624966
desu this is the only episode that I actually couldn't finish
>>
>>25628241
The ending was just as shit as the rest, I assure you.
>>
>>25624966
So glad I skipped that episode.
>>
>>25629084
Ratings show that. It was the lowest viewed episode in the entire series I believe. Pro-tip for making a Spike episode seems to be "Don't put his name in the title or people don't even bother."
>>
>Spike makes a mockery of Twilight's position
>ruins a valuable and sybolic piece of art, causes a flood, and potentially disrupts a large diplomatic summit
>no punishment, not even yelled at

Twilight really isn't his damn mother if she let that shit slide.
>>
File: m8.png (256 KB, 460x451) Image search: [Google]
m8.png
256 KB, 460x451
>>25624966
WTF, It was my favourite episode of the season, I'd say top 5 overall. Fuck you faggot OP
>>
>>25629150

Ratings aren't indicative of the quality of an episode. Amending Fences is considered one of the best in the series, and it's the second lowest viewed episode in the series.

Mane Attraction is considered a good episode, and it only barely beat Amending Fences in viewers.
>>
>>25625353
Mah dragon
>>
>>25629286
If those are TV ratings then they're the absolutely worthless as an indicator. Not least because they only record US viewing - I only hope old ass Hasbro execs know this too
>>
File: 877131.png (130 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
877131.png
130 KB, 700x600
>>25626385
Seems like someone ran a poll of /mlp/ people. That's my guess.

>>25629182
>no punishment, not even yelled at
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
>>25625118
dont talk shit about scare master, i bet u dont even have ur best friend sitting next to u cus they didnt bother showing up u little shit
>>
>>25625037
This. Spike's entire downfall was because the ponies were fucking retarded. Anything 'bad' he did by taking advantage of Twilight's position had no effect on him getting fucked over at the end. It was literally pure chance.

What a complete mess of an episode.
>>
>>25625342
>Dragon Quest
>Good

How do people come to this conclusion. Fucking Larson himself admitted that Dragon Quest was the worst episode of the entire series.

If you think Dragon Quest is anywhere near 'good' you're probably mentally retarded, I'm sorry.
>>
>>25629182
Honestly? If this is Equestria's fucking diplomatic summit she and Celestia have bigger issues.

>>25629658
It honestly feels like they smashed three episode ideas together. I'm glad Miller regrets that he ever came up with the idea.

>>25629680
Funny that the only two episodes staff have openly expressed regret for were Spike ones.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.