[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets be honest, at this point in the series would you guys really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 24
Lets be honest, at this point in the series would you guys really consider My Little Pony to still be a "kids" show or even rated G for that matter?

It seem like every season the degree of violence and social problems explored increases. IMO, the level of intellect and thought process put into many of the recent episodes can sometimes seem too sophisticated for a child to understand wtf is actually going on. Thoughts?
>>
>>25615405
>the level of intellect and thought process put into many of the recent episodes can sometimes seem too sophisticated for a child to understand wtf is actually going on.

Kids are fine, it's the people who post on /mlp/ who get lost
>>
Yes. Some more 'mature' subject matter is fine for children in it's place. Animals of Farthing Wood, Watership Down, even Thomas the Tank Engine had violence and the like (this sentient train isn't working as well as it could. Brick it up in an abandoned tunnel!)
>>
>>25615405
young girls who watch grow up too
>>
>>25615405
Just noticed. Are those slings that Pinkie and Maud have attached to their front hooves?
>>
>>25615405
Get real OP. Kids aren't going to learn about things if they don't experience new, unfamiliar concepts and start asking questions
>"Mommy, why is rainbow dash missing her wing?"
>"Because you don't listen to mommy you little shit."
>>
>>25615405
Honestly I think most kids are smarter than we give them credit for, and if you're talking about pic related then I don't think a child will have any trouble following what's going on, in fact the season finale was off-puttingly simple in my opinion. It took a supposed genius like twilight far too long to figure out what was going on around her for the sake of spoon-feeding what was happening to the children, which again I don't think is necessary. The "grimness" of it is fairly mild and preferable to endless butterflies and sunshine. I personally think its good to have children's minds actively engaged, force them to think about what's happening, and of course there is a line, but MLP has yet to cross it.
>>
>>25615571
No, I think its just armor on their "wrists" or some decoration of their uniform
>>
>>25615634
>Honestly I think most kids are smarter than we give them credit for

This. I was reading Lord of the Rings when I was 10. A few years ago, kids the same age would have been reading Harry Potter. Kids are not stupid, and one of the reasons both they and we can enjoy this show is that the show doesn't have to "dumb down".
>>
>>25615405
It's still a kids show.

It's just a kids show that doesn't treat kids like blithering idiots.
>>
>>25615405
Christ OP, there was plenty of implied even overt dark shit in even the original '80s series and regulations were far more stringent then. Kids are better off not being too pampered growing up or else you end up with the tumblr generation we're all forced to endure now.
>>
>>25615459
This. It's incredible how many people here need lessons or stories in the show explained to them. And the worst thing is that they tend to label everything they don't understand as "shit".
>>
>>25615773
>Kids are fine, it's the people who post on /mlp/ who get lost

If there was an award for Grown Men Misunderstanding Children's Cartoons /mlp/ would win every year.
>>
>>25615541
>>25615599
>>25615696
>>25615737
>>25615750

This so much. I grew up with Don Bluth movies and other stuff that had way more unsettling things in them. It's good children's shows that introduce kids to new ideas and aren't afraid to treat them as intelligent. The problem is that there's been so much crappy media for kids lately that the good stuff seems like an anomaly.
>>
>>25615405
>the degree of violence and social problems explored increases.
Anon, you're putting the bar too low
>>
>>25615910
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMdijnTMWXs
I had fucking nightmares.
>>
>>25616028
Too bad fucking Disney keeps pruning vids featuring the climatic escape from Monstro, an intensely frightening and exciting scene and in my opinion one of the hallmark sequences in all of animation. Jaws didn't have shit on that fucking whale holy fuckbuckets.
>>
>>25615750
G1 was actually pretty hardcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kknbjwYWwaU
>>
>>25616028
So I'm not the only one that found that movie terrifying?
Some of that classic Disney stuff was dark. Does anything these days really compare.
>>
>>25616153
For some reason the wagon scene really scared me out of all the movie.
>>
>>25615405
>Lets be honest, at this point in the series would you guys really consider My Little Pony to still be a "kids" show or even rated G for that matter?
Yes.
Yes, of course.
This is a show about colorful talking horses for chrissakes.
>>
>>25616153
Pinocchio scared the fuck out of pretty much every kid who ever saw it. Same with Fantasia.
>>
>>25615405
anon, first you have to see the shit you grow up with
we grow up with racism, violence, psychological warfare, insanity, and strong human values during the cartoons of the 80's and 90's.
be a whiteknight after all the shit we witnessed is useless
>>
>>25616153
I distinctly remember not being able to watch Pinocchio all the way through when I was little.

>that donkey scene
>>
But, music!

Why does it matter what violentspacetimecontinuumbullshit the writers feed to the children when they still end the episode with music!
>>
>>25615405
It's still definitely a show that a young audience can enjoy, though it's not as light as it used to be. I do have questions about how it keeps a TV-Y rating given the subject matter of some recent episodes, but if TV-Y means you can safely show it to all ages, I guess it remains in that category.
>>
>>25616153
>They never come back...
>AS BOYS!

And that's how Tumblr was made.
>>
>>25616485
Yeah the donkey scene has always stayed with me. The entire concept is pretty fucked up.
>>
>>25615405
>the level of intellect and thought process put into many of the recent episodes can sometimes seem too sophisticated for a child to understand
The only episodes which might be a little confusing would be the finale episodes because they involve time travel/alternate timelines. Other than that, the plot for every other episode is pretty damn straightforward.
>>
File: 1413091319387s.jpg (5 KB, 120x125) Image search: [Google]
1413091319387s.jpg
5 KB, 120x125
>>25615405
>violence
>social problems
>intellect
>thought process
>sophisticated
Are you actually being serious? It is a kids show, kids are not complete idiots or too sensible to handle this or even more "darker" stuff.
>>
>>25615405
I wonder if this kind of stuff is actually exactly what Faust wanted FiM to be. Because it would be both sad and hilarious if it were.
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 708x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 708x540
>>25617256

Fuck off, newfag. Go watch Rescue from Midnight Castle and tell me this shit is too "dark" for MLP.
>>
>>25617449
Fucking dumbass, the 1980s cannot be compared with 2015
>>
>>25617449
Where did I ever say it was to dark for MLP? I asked something about Faust, I didn't make any comment about this. I'm very well aware that G1 was even darker than the S5 finale. Admittedly, I do yet have to watch that movie, but that's not relevant to the topic at all. Did you reply to the right post?
>>
The idiots who complained about it being pandering must want kids to only watch tea parties and pillow fights or something.
>>
>>25617516
I don't know, some of those alternate universes certainly gave even the darkest parts of G1 a run for its money, but then that may be due to it being more overt than the more subtle dark bits of the old show like stranger danger, implied genocide, and such.
>>
>>25615405

you are an idiot and in need of watching some good 90s cartoons as Hey Arnold to understand what little kids can handle.
>>
Wasn't, like, THE ENTIRE REASON we (as in 4chan in 2010) started watching this show because we realized it really wasn't for little girls? Or rather, it was, but it didn't act like it.
>>
>>25618130
or Gargoyles. Or the Batman Animated series.

you think MLP was dark? How about a cartoon centered around forest animals trying to escape into another habitat, with a quarter of them dying over the course of season 1 (like two characters being run over by cars) and other seasons centered around analogies for racism and disease outbreaks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Animals_of_Farthing_Wood_%28TV_series%29

>>25617524
great. Lets put him down to watch MLP G3 for 3 hours straight. Lets see if he is happy then.
>>
File: war!.png (1 MB, 6000x3051) Image search: [Google]
war!.png
1 MB, 6000x3051
I need more of eternal war Maud. She's hot when she's actually showing emotion.
>>
>>25618218
I think they're so afraid of "fanfiction tier" stuff when they fail to realize that a lot of the concepts that just make interesting dark stories doesn't mean something is bad.

Oh, they'd probably be happy. I mean, I know people who are mad about Starlight because she knew a colt once and are calling her tainted or something. It's like they don't even watch the show and just like bitching about it online and being contrarians.
>>
I actually didn't notice RD's prosthetic wing until it was pointed out in another thread. This was even darker than I thought.
>>
>>25615405
Yes, you are still obsessing over a children's show.
>>
>>25618443
As someone who spent a good chunk of their life in the sandbox, and who grew up during the mid 90s I am really tired of dark gritty stories.
>>
>>25616222
This. You betabeards need justification to validate your love for a little girl's show. Get the fuck over it, this isn't some deep show or something. It's literally the same shit as carebears

Carebears have a "care alarm" for when there's a care problem. The ponies have a Friendship map for friendship problems. The six main characters are basically doing the exact same thing as the care bears did and do.
The carebears lived in a fluffy cloud place that was glurge of rainbows and hearts. Look at My little ponies. The world is filled with giant clouds spilling rainbows and decorated with hearts-- virtually every house and train has hearts plastered over it, just look at that "friendship express" (Hah) train, its nothing but pink and hearts.
The carebears have belly marks that they obsess over and are giant glowing stickers for sales purposes. The ponies have "cutie marks" which are the exact damn same thing.

And for all bronies talk about its "Action" or "darkness" The ponies fight exactly like the carebears, shooting a rainbow at the badguys which makes them inexplicably become good or go away. There's no real violence or fighting here, its just shooting rainbow lasers at people to make them feel better.
>>
File: 1396494418304.gif (140 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1396494418304.gif
140 KB, 500x500
>>25619753
>There's no real violence or fighting here
>>
>>25615405
Are you guys even aware of your own motivations?

Like, you know perfectly well it's a kids show. You're insecure about that so you try and solicit opinions that it's a totally adult and normal thing to be into MLP.

How does this not strike you as your own confirmation bias?
>>
>>25619753
Someone didn't watch the end of season 4
>>
>>25615405

I always considered it more of a family show than a kids show.

So what?

> degree of violence and social problems increases
This is just a sign of the show growing with the audience. It's been 5 years. A kid who started watching the show at 8 years old is now 13.

> level of intellect and thought processes
> too sophisticated for a child to understand

Now you just sound silly. What can't kids understand about what is going on?
>>
File: forkids.jpg (52 KB, 314x214) Image search: [Google]
forkids.jpg
52 KB, 314x214
>>25615541
>Animals of Farthing Wood

that show was fucked up even by adult standards.
>>
>>25616153
What's with all the pussies here not watching all the original uncut Pinocchio ? Maybe it's just me, watching predator and alien movies as a young child might have warped me. Now rocky horror freaked me out, and the dick hiding dance scene in that Hannibal movie
>>
File: 1424987622796.png (246 KB, 436x471) Image search: [Google]
1424987622796.png
246 KB, 436x471
>>25621333

Jesus fuck I remember it. In comparison GoT looks like fucking Dora the Explorer.
The hedgehog scene will haunt me forever
>>
>>25618443

>fanfiction-tier stuff

Daily reminder that tropes aren't bad, it all depends on the execution.
>>
File: Ego Trip.jpg (15 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
Ego Trip.jpg
15 KB, 384x288
>>25615405
Yes
>>
>>25615405
Yes, even if it is certainly enjoyable for older watchers too.
Instead, the real problem is with the vast majority of media thinking, and making people think that children can NOT handle something like this.
I mean, do they think there was a sanctuary made of pink angel poop to protect children from what was going on in the medieval era?
>>
>>25616222
>This is a show about colorful talking horses for chrissakes.
>Not a show about praising horse pussy
My mind is blown
>>
>>25617449
I want G4 to keep getting darker.

I want G1 levels of darkness already. Give me back 80s style kids shows dammit! Not this happy go lucky bullcrap we have now.

God am I happy that they're killing off Celestia in Season 6. Maybe an on screen death will make things better.
>>
>>25622308
>God am I happy that they're killing off Celestia in Season 6. Maybe an on screen death will make things better.
Do you even imagine the state of this board after this?
All these Sunfags mourning all over the place
>>
>>25622314
Yeah it's gonna be glorious. The episode is going to be a real tearjerker too.
>>
>>25615405
Lets be honest, op is a sjw faggot
>>
>>25615794
>If there was an award for Grown Men Misunderstanding Children's Cartoons /mlp/ would win every year.
at least then we'd be winners at something, right?
>>
>>25617156
it's the parents that think kids are too dumb and shelter them with innocent programming that the media only thinks kids want, when it's what the parents want
>>
>>25622314
I doubt that they'll do an onscreen death. That would annoy the "think of the children!" morons like OP who think that kids can't handle that kind of thing.

Not that there can't be more adult themes in generally child oriented media. The first episode of the season dealt with enforced communism being led by a corrupt leader once again, which is a more adult kind of thing. Dr Seuss wrote several books for adults, such as the Butter Battle Book, in the same style as the books that he wrote for children. That book would confuse kids but adults understand what was going on.

War is something that kids can wrap their heads around, and this is a hollywood everyone charge at each other kind of war, perfect for kids.
>>
>>25615910
>Don Bluth

I maintain the view that all kids born after '97 ish are screwed because they never got exposed to the catharsis and pathos of 80's/early 90's children's entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWUNnHt2N-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kd8-L42BCU
>>
>>25622308

Nah, I'm perfectly happy with the way it is now. Not too light, not too dark.
>>
>>25617449
> That scene.
Muh dick.
>>
>>25615635
>>25615571
yes, why else they need rocks in pockets?
>>
>>25619753
Well, adventure time is filled with that kind of cute things and it still has a dark background. Just saying.
>>
>>25623187
>Muh dick.
>what Skorpan was thinking
>>
>>25622308
sauce?
>>
>>25623240
I fucking kekd when I saw those two stallions fighting like bitches.
>>
>>25623337
I think the white one is a mare.
>>
>>25623337
that's partially how horses fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Kd3aRilUU
>>
File: 6dc.jpg (76 KB, 508x374) Image search: [Google]
6dc.jpg
76 KB, 508x374
>>25623382
I want to cum inside that dirty brown horse.
>>
>>25623395
proof that earth ponies ARE nothing more than filthy mud ponies
>>
>>25623382
EBIC RAB BABBLES OF HISHTRY!!
JACKSAW!!
VERSHUS!!
READY!!

BEGIN!
>>
>>25623240

This. If anyone actually believes MLP will or should ever be more "violent" than this should probably be watching some other cartoon.
>>
>>25623027
You do realize that there are kids that could possibly still watch those movies, right?
>>
>>25621333
that show was awesome. I watched season 1 and 2 when I was only 8.

how come people are such pussies.
>>
>>25623567
>possibly

Back in the 90's and up until the early 2000's they still aired these on tv on occasion. But that completely stopped, as well as airing stuff like Hook, Gremlins, and Nightmare Before Christmas ever single Christmas Eve.

The only way kids will see all that stuff now is if they have decent parents of that generation. My older sister though, she's a 70's kid and if it wasn't for me, my nephew would've turned into a tablet-consuming, let's play-watching, COD dudebro degenerate.
3 2TB hard drives of Don Bluth, Disney Renaissance and Star Trek TNG/DS9 prevented that.
>>
>>25623770
>Nightmare Before Christmas
They still do it here as far as I know, at least here in Argentina.
>>
>>25623235
Well there is all that sweet pony ass just hanging out there in front of him. What else is he supposed to be thinking about given his predickament?
>>
the most terrifying Movie for me wasnt Pinochio. It was Pixars Antz. This shit was violent as fuck.
>>
>>25623770
Shit, I haven't seen one Charlie Brown special this year, did they stop showing those, too?
>>
File: scared.jpg (78 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
scared.jpg
78 KB, 720x576
>>25615541
>this sentient train isn't working as well as it could. Brick it up in an abandoned tunnel!

He didn't want his new paint work to get ruined by rain. But yeah, it was a bit too much.
>>
>>25624820
Reminds me of 'The Cask of Amontillado'.
>>
>>25624741
Are you sure it wasn't the uncanny valley or Woody Allen that scared you?
>>
File: 1441590010293.gif (799 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
1441590010293.gif
799 KB, 200x189
>>25622308
>killing off Celestia in Season 6
Wait..... What!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????
>>
>>25623770
I remember those shows airing all the time too. I also remember seeing NIMH on the TV at some point recently when channel surfing.
At some point that stuff just gets so old that it's relegated to TV airtime filler and IMO the animation of that era didn't age gracefully so I could see a lot of
kids not bothering to watch that stuff.

The animation quality of the 70s-80s was really well suited for dark, gritty stories and I think it added to the impact.
When FIM tries dark it doesn't convey as well, since the animation if so crisp and bright.
>>
>>25623473
Yeah! They never should have had that hydra come close to biting Twalot in half, or that manticore almost swiping Dresshorse's head off in the second episode. The people who like that kind of icky violence should all just go watch other cartoons!

Fucking end yourself.
>>
File: 561.png (221 KB, 376x421) Image search: [Google]
561.png
221 KB, 376x421
>>25615405
Rated G for Good.

It's better that viewers get very real idea from such a display. Remember, this show is scientifically oriented towards win.

Also considering what will not be watchable in the future, the show should be that dream that leaves everyone at loss of rating system.
>>
>>25624820
Nobody listened to him till he put on the bricks.
>>
>>25627217
If I remove the bricks, will he die?
>>
>>25627245
It would be extremely painful.
>>
File: rekt.gif (3 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
rekt.gif
3 MB, 720x404
>>25619753
>There's no real violence or fighting here
>>
>>25627263
Something made of sticks being blown into smaller sticks by a beam of unicorn magic is hardly violent. It falls into that catch all of 'fantasy violence' which boils down to 'shit can never happen in real life.'
>>
>>25617449
Is that Scorpan ? Seems like it.
>>
>>25627351
yes it is
that is from the movie in G1 that has Tirek in it too
though, G1 Skorpan was a human at one point but fell under Tirek's control (mostly)
>>
>>25615405

when is TV14 mlp starting?
>>
>>25627445
S6 apparently
>>
>>25627304
Anakin Skywalker getting his arms and legs chopped off by a lightsaber would never happen in real life but it's still violent.
>>
File: that is my huge guts.png (8 KB, 389x371) Image search: [Google]
that is my huge guts.png
8 KB, 389x371
>>25627263
I cannot wait until someone edits a pony in place of the timberwolf, and we get huge guts flying everywhere
>>
File: drain bamage.jpg (52 KB, 600x604) Image search: [Google]
drain bamage.jpg
52 KB, 600x604
>>25615405
>at this point in the series would you guys really consider My Little Pony to still be a "kids" show or even rated G for that matter?
Yes.
>>
File: 1413248850093.png (29 KB, 261x298) Image search: [Google]
1413248850093.png
29 KB, 261x298
>le MLP isn't a kid's show
Off yourself.
>>
File: feel free to visit the trash.gif (2 MB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
feel free to visit the trash.gif
2 MB, 480x480
>>25627891
>Use le to somehow invalidate something
OP posited that the series has gotten more violent as it progressed, and while it's not Watership Down, he isn't wrong about it becoming more violent.

So, in short, kill yourself.
>>
>>25619753
>knowing this much about Care Bears
And you're wrong. MLP is cute, but it isn't completely inane like Care Bears or Strawberry Shortcake or whatever. It actually has, at least some, heart to it. Now I'm not saying it's some adult, grown-up show for discerning audiences - it is still MLP, after all. But I wouldn't even compare it to similar shows.
>>
File: 1447358835210.jpg (24 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1447358835210.jpg
24 KB, 500x300
>>25627891
>le
>>
File: 1412462125225.png (177 KB, 403x368) Image search: [Google]
1412462125225.png
177 KB, 403x368
>>25615405
>this post
>>
>>25622308
I want both. Give nice, cute episodes and give dark, edgy ones too. There's no reason you can't have both. Girls like that stuff. Remember, they don't all want to be princess
>>
File: autism_anywhere.jpg (43 KB, 556x303) Image search: [Google]
autism_anywhere.jpg
43 KB, 556x303
>>25628769
>this board
>>
>>25628787
>they don't all want to be princess
Can you even be a princess for realzies?
What are there like 3 princesses in the whole fucking developed world?
Why is "princess" even a thing anymore. It's retarded.
>>
>>25628769
>Implying the whole board isn't fully autistic
>Maybe even the whole site
>>
>>25628953
Because fairy tales still involve princesses.
>>
>>25629055
And because it is a royal title and royalty hasn't died out yet.

I actually enjoy this thread a lot.
It shows me the kind of people I don't even want to address existing, seeing how they are so infantile, they would probably consider Barney too violent.

Seriously, MLP and "dark"?
It is "dark" in so far as that the show has, unlike its last two precursours, decided to be not just nice and everyone likes the other, but actually go for funny cartoon antics, spiced up with adventure and some villain to face here and there.

I grew up watching the Sailor Scouts sacificing themselves on screen for Sailor Moon, dying with their last breaths being words about her having to fight on.

I saw Chucky Finster mourning his pet bug Melville in a surprisingly well done 10 minute version of what Tanks for the Memories tried to do but failed, because Tank was only going to hibernate.

I realized that not every villain is just out for world domination for shit and giggles, when I saw Demona blaming mankind for the death of her clan.

I saw a couple of hedgehogs being run over by a car, not because it had any major impact on the plot, but because a show tried to convey, that death can happen anytime.

I shat bricks when I heard Judge Doom declare in confidence he is going to whip out every toon I ever loved with his dip, just so he could build a highway.

So excuse me OP and every other testicle lacking idiot here, if I don't think a timeline where Sombra LARPs his favorite Warhammer 40K campaign, is not the scariest thing I can show a five year old girl.

Grow a freaking pair.
>>
>>25627262
4choo
>>
File: tfw_lauren.jpg (114 KB, 590x500) Image search: [Google]
tfw_lauren.jpg
114 KB, 590x500
>>25630757
>That episode of Rugrats about Chucky's dead mom
>>
File: 1375675349927.jpg (33 KB, 648x486) Image search: [Google]
1375675349927.jpg
33 KB, 648x486
>>25630757
>>
>>25630757
>not the scariest thing I can show a five year old girl
I bet that would actually be your penis
>>
>>25631315
A little girl would be more scared of a sad clown than a penis. Penises are funny-looking. All short and wrinkly...
>>
>>25631475
double whammy if that Anon dresses up like a clown for parties that ironically never hired or invited him...
>>
>>25630757
This Anon is a wise Anon.
>>
>>25631548

https://youtu.be/P6zhFZ-S6RA?t=79
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.