[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did the magic die to you, /mlp/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 15
File: 526816.png (101 KB, 458x346) Image search: [Google]
526816.png
101 KB, 458x346
When did the magic die to you, /mlp/?
>>
File: 1442252171090.jpg (29 KB, 311x333) Image search: [Google]
1442252171090.jpg
29 KB, 311x333
Season 3.
>>
>>25441377
When you got your cutie mark.
You're no longer fuckable, Scoots... I'm sorry.
>>
>>25441377
It didn't. The show's gone through changes, but it still holds strong for me.
>>
>>25441377
It didn't die. It's just waiting.
>>
Probably a bit after I started coming here and listening to bitter assholes.

But it's alright, I had a good time with it.
>>
File: 1433447981851.jpg (14 KB, 320x246) Image search: [Google]
1433447981851.jpg
14 KB, 320x246
Keep Calm and Flutter On was the point where I noticed something was off.

Magical Mystery Cure sent my opinion incredibly low, and Princess Twilight sent it skyrocketing back up, leaving me really confused about what was happening.

Daring Don't and Bats! nearly made me vomit.

Surprisingly, Pinkie Apple Pie and most of the episodes that followed were alright, barring maybe Flight to the Finish and Leap of Faith, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was in for pain.

Twilight's Kingdom finally killed it for me.
>>
>>25441377
The light will never go out as long as I have her.

It just flickers now and again, is all.
>>
File: Laughing at you.png (2 MB, 2764x1544) Image search: [Google]
Laughing at you.png
2 MB, 2764x1544
>>25441377
The magic never died to me.

The magic died to you? Sucks for you man.
>>
>>25441377
It didn't. It only intensifies.
>>
File: Fluttershy_coy_smile_S4E16.png (341 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Fluttershy_coy_smile_S4E16.png
341 KB, 1280x720
The magic hasn't died. It's just… Different now. The ponies have figured out how to work together, and so there's less conflict between the Mane 6. Now, most of the problems come from the outside. From external threats.

This really changes the nature of the show, and I certainly don't love S3-5 as much as I love S1-2, but I still love them nonetheless. They are good for what they are, but the magic has changed.
>>
>>25441377
February 3, 1959
>>
>>25441377
about 15 minutes into the S4 finale.
>>
File: file.png (463 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
file.png
463 KB, 1280x720
>>25441404
>>25441774
Nothing stays the same for long
But when it changes doesn't mean it's gone
Time will always get away
As it leaves behind another day
>>
File: Rarity 2285.png (535 KB, 860x684) Image search: [Google]
Rarity 2285.png
535 KB, 860x684
>>25441774
Actually, there are plenty of conflicts between the Mane 6 this season. Just the last six episodes before today's were about conflicts among the main characters.

And how would there being less conflict with the mane 6 and more problems from outside make much of a difference? This is a good thing because it shows that their friendship bonds have grown over the course of the show and now they're finally sharing what they've learned to the rest of Equestria to make it a better place for everyone. I think that's sort of the point of this season. The characters have grown and so has the magic of friendship.
>>
>>25441900
I think I would love that song even if I hated EQG.
>>
>>25441377
When I came to /mlp/
>>
>>25442008
It IS a good song. Ingram knocked it out of the park with that one. Makes me wonder what the shit was up with Friendship Games.
>>
>>25441860
Underrated post
>>
>>25442022
Friendship Games wasn't a music-specific movie.

Even then, we got a couple good ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzSwC9HkNxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyhZr_MNMJw
>>
>>25441377
Never.
>>
Not dead. Just missing in action.
>>
Season 3 for sure. MMC killed it.
>>
>>25442169
This. That and the announcement of EQG3 was a one-two punch that fucking killed like...40 percent of the entire fandom.

We're only just now recovering, but it'll never really be the same.
>>
I didn't even watch todays episode. I think i am done. I might just walk away from it now.
>>
I got tired of it, and I've only been part of the fandom for few months
>>
>>25441377
Never
>>
File: Scarlett Johansson.png (320 KB, 586x547) Image search: [Google]
Scarlett Johansson.png
320 KB, 586x547
>>25442169
>>25442177
Lol these types of niggers are still around?

>>25442190
Bye, bitch.
>>
>>25441860
Bye bye Ms. American Pie

:,(
>>
>>25442169
>>25442177
>le mmc and eqg sux XD
Will you guys just grow the fuck up already?
>>
>>25442312
>>25442259

Wow do these faggots realy believe the show is still good?
>>
File: Ur kiddin' right.png (3 MB, 2812x1558) Image search: [Google]
Ur kiddin' right.png
3 MB, 2812x1558
>>25442365
Why isn't there ever any good bait anymore?
>>
>>25441377
Right after MMC.
I don't know how to explain, but ever since Twilicorn happened the show has been missing something... magical. Something, which made it fun and pleasant to watch. Now, no matter what episode of S4/5 I try to watch, they just keep being uninteresting, unenjoyable or just straight out cringeworthy to me.
I stopped regularly watching the show after PAP and now just stuck to episode synopses. Occasionaly I still watch newer episodes to see if I can get any enjoyment out of them, but to no avail.
>>
The only episode I have enjoyed since MMC was Crusaders of the Lost Mark. Everything else has been extremely meh.
>>
>>25442111
Plus the cut version of More That's Out There.
>>
>>25442407
You finally grew up.
>>
>>25441377
It's been dying a little more each time they make the ponies into human-expies in 4-legged form. Even through all the bullshit, Twilicorn, shitty writing, everything - I could still keep my interest when I got flashes of that old, magical world ready to be explored. But nothing murders that faster than seeing the setting turned into "north america, BUT WITH PONIES" - and sadly, that's been happening more and more lately.
>>
>>25442520
But Equestria has always been North America since S1 with episodes like Over a Barrel and Manehattan in The Cutie Mark Chronicles. If anything, with S4/5 the locales have been getting more exotic with places like the jungle from Daring Do, YakYakistan and Griffonstone.
>>
>>25442569
Hmm, fair point. Let me rephrase - modern, 21st century north america with ponies.

And yeah, the touches of worldbuilding in the latest episodes is pretty much why I'm still here. But on the other hand, latest seasons have been pretty bad in some respects too: LEL ASTRONAUT DASH jokes, manehattan going from frontiersville to generic glass-and-metal city that doesn't fit the setting at all, increasingly anthropomorphic poses, etc.
>>
Cutoff date is supposed to be 1910 in terms of tech. Most of Manehattan could fit that.
>>
File: 1280x720--xg.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1280x720--xg.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
>>25442600
What's wrong with astronaut dash?

And Manehattan has always been an amalgamation of different building styles. Hell, those old-school buildings can still be seen in the backgrounds of recent episodes. You can argue that's it's a mishmash, sure, but those things never disappeared completely.

And if you want to get really technical, what is the setting of Equestria anyway? High fantasy? Then why is there a fucking frontier town in it and several cities? Equestria has always existed as a mashup of several different directly contrasting locations. Mostly because it's a fucking cartoon.

Now the anthro poses I can sort of agree on, but horse poses tend to be way too limiting in terms of expressiveness. That's just a facet of the show that had to change in exchange for wilder, more varied poses.
>>
File: image.jpg (171 KB, 1264x632) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171 KB, 1264x632
>>25442407
My theory is that the show started out bad in the beginning, but it was just good barely enough to continue watching (even ironically). It might have been an alright show for its target audience. As seasons went on, it did improve in quality, but it went from being surprisingly "just above bad" to just okay. Mediocre. It might be objectively better in terms of its target audience. There's a higher budget; the animation is better and they probably spend more time writing. But by becoming better, the magic died. Plus there's the whole aspect of the fandom shifting from ironic internet dwellers to autistic weirdos, and the fact that the show is now written with them in mind. Just my opinions tbqh senpai.
>>
File: twilicorn.jpg (43 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
twilicorn.jpg
43 KB, 604x604
Changeling spies from far away
Feed upon your heart's elation
Apprentices in Canterlot
Dream of ancient incantations
And if you want this kind of power
It's Alicornication

Once again it seems the end
Of all of pony civilization
The Mane 6 might be in the fight
But it's Twilight's adulation
It's the bitter truth that Hasbro suits
Sell Alicornication

Pay your company very well
To keep the stories flowing
The cracks appear, now very clear
Where is the magic going?

Bookworm unicorn
Toystore reborn
Dream of Alicornication
Dream of Alicornication
>>
>>25442647
>What's wrong with astronaut Dash
Mostly, how the fuck ponies with no industry manage to have a fucking space program.

>Then why is there a frontier town in it and several cities
>Implying cities did not exist a couple hundred years ago
>Implying frontier towns didn't either

>Horse poses too limiting
If you just use the limbs for expressiveness, sure. The thing is, they tended to use a lot more subtler cues in the earlier seasons - wing movements, ear positions, a lot of subtle horselike behaviors. I like that a lot - it helped reinforce that we're dealing with another species here.
>>
File: destinationmoon.jpg (206 KB, 975x1387) Image search: [Google]
destinationmoon.jpg
206 KB, 975x1387
>>25442830
You know space fiction and scifi stories existed before NASA was ever created? It's not too far of a stretch to think that ponies have fantasies about space and shit. Hell, they could be at the dawn of their own magic-fueled space age.

If this shit had happened in 2011 we'd be using our imaginations to create stories and headcannons about pony space agencies and discussing how pony spacesuits would work. Now whenever something new happens in the show we just fucking complain. We changed more than the goddamn show did.
>>
>>25441377

After watching MMC, I knew the main storyline was fucked.

Season 4 made me lost interest in slice of life to.

I stopped watching three weeks ago. It just didn't feel good anymore.
>>
>>25441377
It never gonna die. I am in this poni thing for 4 years now
>>
MMC/EQG for sure.
The whole alicornification of a pony thing for as a reward for a fuck up she caused after being on a path she never even once mentioned holding interest in just didnt sit well with me. Its "fine" now, because Twilight accepted that role, but it just seemed unwaranted as a "reward" for her efforts thus far.

Before, it felt like Celestia and Luna were really something special. A pair of thousand year old ponies who were incredibly powerful, wise, and unique, even. Then Cadence and her book came along, Chrysalis fucks Celestia's shit up, and Luna is only around for dream stuff mostly (but thats something since we can watch her work at least), really eating away at the mystique of the Alicorn ponies to the point where they're largely irrelevant and uninteresting.

EQG is just something I dont like and I'm glad its contained in its own "AU". Its MLP lite, for those who want humans for whatever reason. The characterizations are decent for the likes of Sunset Shimmer and the Dazzlings, but I still cannot enjoy it.

The show is still great. The ponies are still interesting. Rarity/Dash, the two most goal oriented ponies are still working towards what they want, and I enjoy watching them the most. Twilight's pretty much "finished' her character arc and either needs something new, or to go the way of Celestia and be replaced and mentioned on occasion. Fluttershy and Pinkie have their moments. AJ is still kinda out there, but Heartbreakers was nice for her.

All in all, the show hasn't lost its magic. Its just a different beast and I guess my standards are lowered from the executive meddling and whatnot.
>>
You idiots talk like a bunch of autistic shits.
>>
I still enjoy the show
>>
>>25443204
Did you get lost anon? Do you know where you are?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.