[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spike did nothing wrong. The entire episode was just built around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 16
File: nothing.png (288 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
nothing.png
288 KB, 960x540
Spike did nothing wrong. The entire episode was just built around fucking him over and full of asshole characters.
>>
>>25724981
Well he did start abusing his position eventually, though all the shit that ended up fucking him up happened before that point so I guess the lesson is always abuse your position because making legitimate decisions will never end well.
>>
>>25724991
He had every right to do what he did and have some power for once but he was too young to be an effective decision maker. Cadence should have stepped in to stop him or give him advice rather than telling him not to have fun and getting upset when he does.
>>
>>25725259
The fact that she's going to be a mother soon terrifies me.

And a lot of the suggestions he gave were both A. not something that should have needed Twilight's approval for to begin with
B. genuinely good ideas that weren't his fault that they failed

The only reason that he actually started lying and saying it was Twilight who told him was because the ponies were fucking retarded and couldn't understand common sense unless it came from Twilight for some reason.

How is 'share the space' an unreasonable request?
>>
>>25725336
it's a diplomacy summit, and politicians tend to be very self-important people who don't like the idea of being told "share space" and being told to makes them feel like they're not as important as they like to think.

Unfortunately, when politicians feel under-appreciated, they are well within power to fuck up everything.

It's not a good lesson but it does happen in reality.
>>
>>25725447
I was more confused that none of them seemed to give a shit that Spike was a hero who by his own merits has experience and skill that would justify people respecting him and listening to what he has to say.

Basically, he shouldn't HAVE to have pretended that Twilight was giving him authority. He's the one who saved the Crystal Empire, and saved thousands of lives at the Equestria Games. It's bizarre when they try to portray him as grasping onto Twilight's status to get stuff done like he doesn't have some sort of insanely respected position in one of the largest areas of Equestria.

It's just one of the reasons that the inherent idea of the episode is bad.
>>
>>25724991
Guess they didn't think that one through.
>>
File: Remove Mime.webm (937 KB, 610x344) Image search: [Google]
Remove Mime.webm
937 KB, 610x344
>>25725525
Honestly, it's pretty clear the writers don't know what to do with Spike, and even as a Spikefag, I think they should just write him out because he's basically been "The hanger on" since Season One.

But, that's been said a million times, basically the problem with Spike discussion is also that it's all well-tread ground.

I wonder if threads for any of the other main characters have this issue?
>>
>>25726991
I honestly think it was more of a Dusedau problem than anything. He probably didn't know that Spike would be more respected than that.

It's worth noting that four years ago to this day, Secret of My Excess aired. That's the last time we truly got anything deep about his background. That's why his threads are difficult.
>>
File: 1432457598131s.jpg (2 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
1432457598131s.jpg
2 KB, 125x119
>>25727319
I don't know about that.
>Dragon Quest
>dragons are rare enough that books don't cover them
>ponies know nothing about how a dragon's anatomy works and Spike would be kind of screwed if he got sick
>for some reason there's a need for hoarding, territory dragons to fly together and hold up in high places
>Spike's egg was abandoned and he was quite defenseless for a while
>no one Spike knows has an answer to his past
I feel there is something they can do with this.
>>
>>25724981
In a way it works out, since all the reasonable things that he got shit over would have been blamed on Twilight when she had told them to do the same/similar things. Spike's job was to be the lightning rod for the new princess. He'll suffer a lot less for that shit than she should have.

Of course, I doubt that the writer had that in mind. It was never pointed out anyway, and would have been a weird lesson. Sometimes it's best to be the fall guy, kids.
>>
>>25727528
They haven't been interested in doing anything that answers those questions about him for several seasons. Pretty sure they'd rather just give fan favorites more episodes or create new characters than develop him.

For one, it would take someone with a lot more talent than they gave him in S5 to hit on the "depth and subtle nuance" that the director of the show claims he sees in his character.

This of course doesn't include the fact that the staff openly think Dragon Quest was a mistake.
>>
>>25727528
I don't recall Spike's egg being abandoned. There's no known history about it. It could have been abandoned, stolen, adopted, lost, hidden, given as payment, hell created.
>>
>>25727548
Dusedau is just a shit writer, I think. No "moral" I've seen people draw out of this episode is positive other than the one at the very end that was grafted on and made the episode feel even more disjointed.
>>
>>25724981
Spike did plenty wrong and never got punished for it, the little shit.
>>
>>25727580
How in the fuck have we gone five seasons without hearing ANYTHING about this?
>>
>>25727601
That would require putting some thought into the character, which is more effort than anyone wants to put in even in Spike centered episodes.

Plus, right now Spike's character is a bit eclectic. He's whatever the plot demands. If he becomes a real character then the lazy writing technique of making him whatever is required for the story (competent or not, greedy, slacking off work or stacking the whole library, asshole or kind, etc) won't be able to be used anymore.
>>
>>25727659
Well maybe he shouldn't fucking be that, then?
>>
>>25727580
>>25727601
Spike mentions this himself when he recuses Pee Wee. So he either remembers bit of his time as a egg or Celestia gave him a rundown of the day his egg was found.

>This of course doesn't include the fact that the staff openly think Dragon Quest was a mistake
Kind of ironic since almost this exactly story was done earlier before G4. I think it was called Spike's Search. Near the same plot.
>>
>>25727687
Yeah. I watched that one. I think part of the reason we haven't gotten much Spike stuff that sticks is because the general opinion towards DQ is so negative even among the writing staff. They're afraid to touch anything that approaches the issue anymore.
>>
>>25727659
I don't know. I thought Just for Sidekicks and Inspiration Manifestation had his character nearly perfect, using both pros and cons of his nature pretty well.
>>
>>25727731
They really did, hence people liking them. The problem is that they're exceptions to the rule.
>>
>>25727731
>>25727748
The problem is you can't really say that that is Spike's character. His character changes from episode to episode. It might be a well liked character in those episodes, but there's been so many different Spike behaviors that you can't really say that Spike has a single one anymore, in my opinion.
>>
>>25727763
I'd agree with that. It's insanely hard to pinpoint Spike's character at this point. But if you were to be writing a new episode it would be best to write him like he was in Inspiration Manifestation or Just for Sidekicks. That depiction gets the best reception.

And honestly He wasn't THAT poorly written in Princess Spike, which actually made the episode itself so much worse because the contrived reasons for you to hate/laugh at him require an amazing amount of suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>25727714
I think it falls under the same blanket as AJ and her dead parents. Being ponyland is suppose to be a happy place that little girls would want to visit.

There's also the possibility that if a writer addresses Spike's potential dark past then a spotlight will be put to Spike's current situation and it's less than favorable outcome: a lost egg is brought to a school as a test subject and then the new orphan hatching is given to some foul to be raised in service to her. Kind of fucked up if you think about it.
>>
>>25727714
The funny thing is that while Dragon Quest isn't a great episode it is far from the worst Spike episode.
>>
>>25727795
>He wasn't THAT poorly written in Princess Spike, which actually made the episode itself so much worse because the contrived reasons for you to hate/laugh at him require an amazing amount of suspension of disbelief.

I actually agree with this.
>>
>>25727914
It's like, you see a Spike depiction that is competent, confident, and genuine get treated like shit. It stirs up a lot of negative feeling.

>>25727861
There's no real way to handle it.
>His parents are still alive
Why would he want to stay with Twilight, then?
>His parents are dead
So he has no other place to go.

That's not even getting into how Celestia got his egg to begin with. There are very, very, VERY few positive situations that would cause that.
>>
>>25727763
>>25727795
Well there's also some of his earlier co role episodes that help support his character. A Dog and Pony Show had him co star with Rarity; he was the one that had the plan that got the gang to her and in a sense met his goal. Over A Barrel; still has some misfortune but can come up on top when he needs to. Fall Weather Friends and the dynamic he brings to bounce off another character--Pinkie--who are not Twilight or Rarity.
>>
>>25727963
Why would he want to leave if he found out that his natural parents were alive? It's not like they know him. Unless he wants to get away from pony racism.
>>
>>25727963
>That's not even getting into how Celestia got his egg to begin with. There are very, very, VERY few positive situations that would cause that.
Exactly, but that doesn't mean it can't be worked with and build upon for something good for Spike. I don't think the writers understand that. Cartoons today use kid gloves too much and think kids are made of glass. Even Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street wasn't that cautious.
>>
>>25728004
Not that anon, but remember when Spike was willing to stay with the dragons when he thought he had found a place among dragon minds like him.
>>
>>25728078
The one piece of character growth that he seems that's consistent is that he feels that he belongs among ponies now.

Of course, that could also change if it was plot convenient.
>>
>>25728092
>>25728078
>>25728055
>>25728004
Honestly at this point I feel like they'd do like what they did with Rarity and her Canterlot boutique: he can visit his living parents any time he wants in the homeland of the dragons, and the dragons know that he's acting as their ambassador to ponykind, improving relations between them both.

There. That's all they have to do.
>>
this may be true but have you considered fuck Spike? the least interesting character in the show so could care less, he's just below CMC
>>
>>25728952
The CMC actually got a good episode this season.
>>
File: 1437174075284.png (437 KB, 1005x983) Image search: [Google]
1437174075284.png
437 KB, 1005x983
>>25727571
>>25726991
I'm a bit worried Glimmer might get this treatment.

It seems the writer's go-to strategy when something goes wrong with their writing is try to bury it and pretend it's never happened. Never dig it back up and try to fix it.

Dragon Quest kinda screws up Spike and makes dealing his backstory like trying to do gymnastics in a minefield? Implications of slavery? Never ever address it again, don't expound on him. Try to shove him into the background.

Twilicorn was a really shitty and rushed transition that will change the show in a massive way? None of the fans like it and people seem to be jumping ship because of it? Downplay it as much as possible. Only address it in the premiere, the finale, and a few points in-between. Otherwise write everything exactly the same just Twilight has wings, ignore the implications and responsibility this entails.

And sadly Glimmer's backstory was rushed as fuck and people seem to hate it (a bit too much, like people saying 'she destroyed the world because of the D' are wrong. Though it's still shit) so I'm worried that instead of expanding on it, trying to fix their mistake by adding more to her motivation than just 'muh friend', they will just bury it and maybe add a quip from Glimmer like 'lel my reasons for being evil were so stupid guys XD' instead.

Also looking at how they handled Spike, I'm a bit glad that Glimmer will not likely be apart of the M7 and more a CMC like character in frequency. Just look at how they have no idea what the fuck to do with the poor guy. It's probably for the best that Glimmer's inclusion is kept more limited so the writers won't have to slap their head while writing and say 'Oh shit, what the fuck is that purple faggot doing right now' like they have to with spike.

Luckily, they improved on Twilicorn in this season, and seemed to have realized their damage control with Spike is not working and they NEED to figure out what the fuck to do with him. So there's hope.
>>
>>25729444
Early on in this season they really realized how they cannot just bury things anymore. Dragon Quest made it so difficult to bring up Spike's depth again but it has to be done because people are noticing.

Actually what I fear with Glimmer is that she's specifically there to take away focus from Spike so they don't have to show him as much. I hope that is not the case.
>>
>>25729477
She might have limited parts in a lot of episodes like the CMC, and then a few all to her own. I don't think she will take the focus off spike anymore than is usually taken away from him by other characters.

I actually think she might appear in a lot of the CMC episode because: She was shown to act kind of motherly and be rather good with kids, and hated Cutie Marks for years so the CMC could be teaching her it's 'magic' or what have you, so it fits. And we all can guess the new CMC episodes will focus on them probably helping ponies with cutiemark related problems, like in Appleloosa's Most Wanted. It kinda fits perfectly, and also gives the CMC more reason to be able to go out of town and into more exotic places. They're older, and Glimmer can watch over them. I hope she still struggles with her temper a bit, having her snap at Scootaloo or something might be worth a laugh
>>
>>25729579
Hell, why not have a Glimmer/Spike episode? Could be interesting.
>>
File: 1442206215015.png (251 KB, 720x1083) Image search: [Google]
1442206215015.png
251 KB, 720x1083
>>25724981
Hitler did nothing wrong. The entire war was just built around fucking him over and full of asshole characters.
>>
Why can't we have a simple, cute slice of life Spike episode like in season 1? For best results, couple him with Twilight and let them do stuff together. Of course, the cozy treebrary is gone and there is only that cold, hard and frankly, terrible crystal palace where such a setting would never be fun, so they'd have to go out somewhere for some inane bullshit.

Much better than all this "deep" that won't end up going anywhere anyway.
>>
>>25729648
>wings
>>
>>25729622
That'd be good, but I think the one everyone is waiting for is Starlight/Discord. Reformed Villain with "Reformed" Villain.
>>
>>25729669
So... something almost like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsXjAtrqVY8 ?
>>
>>25729669
I've wondered shit about who Spike is since season one and I want to know.

>>25729683
Dear God that episode will be cancer and it's worse because you just know it's coming. No way is it not. I already hate Discord episodes as they are, adding Starlight would make them even worse especially if they try to compare them.
>>
File: 1040666.gif (690 KB, 563x317) Image search: [Google]
1040666.gif
690 KB, 563x317
STOP GIVING ME SHITTY EPISODES!
>>
>>25729648
Low quality
>>
>>25728952
The problem is that you can make this case for any character that had some "bad" episodes or aren't high in the popularity chart.
The loudest people in the fandom tend to focus on the bad when it comes to Spike and since the show now listens and even take ideas from the fandom(ex: ep.100) . Spike isn't going to get much future chances with the strings of Discord episodes now being the norm.
>>
>>25729444
Glimmer might be handled like Discord or Trixie: there but never seen or away on a journey with correspondence with Twilight off screen.

>>25729477
>Dragon Quest kinda screws up Spike and makes dealing his backstory like trying to do gymnastics in a minefield?
>Dragon Quest made it so difficult to bring up Spike's depth again
The problem is they never TRIED, instead retracing an old plot line. I think most people are waiting for them to go deeping into Spike's past and will want the episode. Getting to know him as more than Twilight's assistant.
>>
>>25729444
Muh friend, was the reason for the cult
Twilight dethroning her was why she destroyed Equestria.
>>
Are there any good Spike episodes?
>>
>>25730867
The ones that are actually Rarity Episodes.
>>
File: 1426066572679.jpg (105 KB, 782x571) Image search: [Google]
1426066572679.jpg
105 KB, 782x571
>>25730874
And there's the Rarity fanboy.
>>
>>25730758
Exactly.
>>
>>25730758
Glimmer seems to be getting a lot of toys compared to Trixie, so that's why I think she'll probably be CMC tier of frequency versus discord. It's not like they've really sold any toys of Discord.
>>
>>25731720
Discord is a fan favorite and they want to push toys of Starlight. Even Spike gets more toys than Discord.
>>
>>25731733
Exactly why he gets episodes, but Glimmer might get more because Hasbro might want more. Hasbro can't really sell Discord to little girls, only to bronies which is a market they have barely tapped into after all these years (and seem to be nearly completely oblivious to their existence if those leaked emails say anything)
>>
>>25731768
Those leaked emails are Sony. And anyway, they need to find a way to get little girls to buy more Spike toys.
>>
File: sgmse.jpg (101 KB, 854x477) Image search: [Google]
sgmse.jpg
101 KB, 854x477
>>25730219
>>
>>
If every topic about a character ends with people discussing how to fix said character, then the character probably isn't any good.
>>
>>25732804
It's less that and more just talking about him. You could say the same about Celestia.
>>
>>25732804
Sunset discussions were like that before and Glimmer is just started getting the treatment with her backstory.
>>
>>25724981
That's fine, it was still boring as fuck.
>>
>>25732979
>It's an episode where a character newer than Spike gets backstory
>>
>>25729444
I couldn't agree more with this. You are spot on with Spike and Princess Twilight in my mind. They did improve Twilight a bit this season, but like you said the writers have tried burying a lot of what went wrong with her character and just shoved her in the background a lot of times. I honestly wouldn't if the same thing happened to Glimmer but I would be surprised if Spike gets the butt-monkey treatment again since some of the staff actually acknowledged what was wrong with Spike and said they can do better IIRC.
>>
>>25727571
sauce on dragn quest?

and what do you mean, a mistake, specifically?
>>
>>25727861
Well you know the writers don't think it should be jolly jolly. There's been plenty of creepy or unfriendly shit this season alone. DYEWTS
>>
>>25733561
Multiple staff members said they disliked it or felt it was wasted potential. There was an interview made a few months back where Larson said he thought Dragon Quest was his least favorite episode but I can't find the link right now.
>>
>>25729477
>Early on in this season they really realized how they cannot just bury things anymore. Dragon Quest made it so difficult to bring up Spike's depth again but it has to be done because people are noticing.

How can you tell they realised this? What made you see that? What epsiode and thing?
>>
>>25733828
The Princess Spike backlash. People began bitching to the writer of the episode about it on twitter and the staff actually responded.
>>
>>25733561
>>25733664
He's been pressed on it before. He said it was too negative and was "yelly" or something. It was harsh but didn't use that harshness well enough.

>>25733828
>>25733917
Yeah, Princess Spike. And people asking where Celestia is.
>>
>>25733603
The dead parents being acknowledged inraiders of the lost cutie marks and Scutaloo not being able to fly are good examples of the show acknowledging that bad things happen but not dwelling on them.
>>
>>25733960
>>25733917
Which staff responded? Also good, they are actually learning... but this might mean they knew it anyway. There has a been a lot of other work for them lately. They staff keep chopping and changing. They're learning to cope pretty well with it and ther esults are still very good.
>>
>>25734760
Jim Miller, the guy credited with story for the episode and also the main director of the show who basically implied that he wasn't happy with how people responded and he learned to do things differently next time.
>>
>>25734678
How could you focus a Spike episode on it and not be overbearing?
>>
>>25728484
That isn't the point as much as 'why the fuck did they steal the egg in the first place' that him having parents brings up.
>>
I want an episode about Spike hanging out with Shining Armor.
>>
>>25735562
Dragons seem to be primarily solitary creatures, the young gathering to learn from each other, the eggs being left like snake eggs. Ponies picked it up because dragons are few and far between for the most part
>>
>>25734929
Anyone else? Would you say he's learnt yet? I know the later episodes were already produced before then but do you think any of his twitter reactions to criticisms about later episodes hinted at it at all?
>>
>>25735562
>>25735957
That, or they specifically gave it to ponies hoping he'd grow up and become something that would get them both to stop fighting.

>>25736034
He probably learned. What's more is that since it happened in June when S6 was still probably in late stages of writing/voicing maybe something was done. Then again he seemed upset by the episode's very existence so maybe he learned before it even aired.

A lot of the stuff he mentioned seemed too on the nose and then he had to backpedal.
>>
>>25735956
I would find idea Spike being adopted by Twilight's family to be fucking heartwarming. I think I could get a heart attack.
I think I could shed some tears, seeing such backstory
>>
>>25736400
They've never addressed that, have they?
>>
>>25736745
I think the writers have said they consider each other family, but they have never shown this.
>>
>>25737000
They're afraid to.
>>
>>25731080
>a Rarity fanboy
>posts le book horse mary sue
haha faggot, irony is sure sweet
>>
File: large.png (457 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
large.png
457 KB, 1280x720
>>25737480
Way to fire up that quick responds. I'm completely amazed.
>>
>>25736400
>>25736745
>>25737000
It's been really weird: you got Faust saying that Celestia is the one who raised him and Spike coming to Twilight more so as a job; Dragon Quest, Twilight mentioning Spike was given to her as an egg; and Spike having no bonds with any of Twilight's family or Cadance but knowing Twilight's old friends.
>>
File: 1449357075085.png (97 KB, 376x356) Image search: [Google]
1449357075085.png
97 KB, 376x356
>It's an episode where they introduce a new character
>This new character gets the treatment that they will never give Spike, is never seen again

>>25737868
Faust had no clue what to do with him either.
>>
>>25737902
When interviewed a couple of years back, Spike's voice actress seemed to have an idea on who Spike was supposed to be. This carries no weight of course, but I'm sure she has a better handle on who Spike should be than the writers seeing as how much they botched most of his appearances in the show.
>>
>>25737868
Well, Spike was given to her as an egg. She then hatched said egg. If Spike spent a lot of time with Twilight (judging from the looks of pure terror he's given Celestia from time to time I certainly hope that he was given to Twilight to raise from the time he reached toddlerhood), it makes sense that he knows her friends. If Spike lived at the palace but was Twilight's responsibility most of the time he might not have spent much time with her family, but knowing Twilight he probably spent more time with her friends than she did.
>>
>>25737902
Eh, I kind of like the direction Faust was going with his connection with a royal sister and potential home in the castle. Twilight raising Spike made no sense as she was too young herself and needed Cadance around. Plus not having Twilight care for him--especially that young--eliminates some of the awkward questioning regarding if Spike had a choice or not in working for Twi or why is the charged doing so much for and cleaning up after the parent/older sibling most of the time?
>>
>>25738414
At the same time she said she didn't say anything that seemed out of character. That seemed like saving face to me because like you said, she knows the character she is playing.

>>25738440
So then why didn't she show this?
>>
File: Spikes got this.jpg (272 KB, 600x739) Image search: [Google]
Spikes got this.jpg
272 KB, 600x739
Two episode ideas:

>A baking contest is being held in Ponyville and Spike decides to enter because he likes baking. He goes in expecting to get stomped, but he actually gets pretty far into the tournament. He somehow ends up competing against Pinkie Pie in the quarter semi-finals. Feeling proud because of his accomplishments, but knowing he has a slim chance of beating Pinkie, Spike considers sabotaging her. Before he reaches a decision on the matter, he runs into Doughnut Joe and they talk about the cost of victory. Spike eventually comes to realize that not only would going through with it be a betrayal of Pinkie Pie's friendship (who, along with Doughnut Joe, has encouraged him every step of the way), it would render his victory hollow because he would know deep down that if he didn't win fair and square he wasn't the best and his victory would be meaningless. The bake-off between Pinkie and Spike is much closer than anyone would have imagined, but ultimately Pinkie Pie is declared the clear winner. Eventually it's revealed she lost to the Cakes in the semi-finals while Doughnut Joe lost to Gustave. In the end Gustave wins the trophy by the skin of his beak and Spike has grown closer to Pinkie Pie and managed to resist the impulses that usually fuck him over in his other episodes thus showing that Spike has matured a little bit.

>While talking with Twilight, Spike mentions how lonely he gets sometime because of how busy her and everyone else is all the time. Twilight decides to send Spike to school for a week so he has the opportunity to make some friends his own age. Shenanigans ensue as it turns out Spike has no idea on how to approach people his own age because the closet thing he has to friends are all adults. The rest of the episode is a slice-of-life episode that also manages to flesh out the other students a little bit more. Episode ends with Spike being on good terms with the students and Pipsqueak or another student becoming one of his best friends.
>>
>>25738812
Those seem like decent ideas. I'm not necessarily sure Spike not knowing how to talk to kids "his own age" is a problem though.
>>
>>25738863
Not knowing how to properly handle his peers is more friendship problem bait than anything.

The main problem is Spike doesn't really have any friends of his own. Besides from Rarity, it's more like a younger brother hanging out with his older sister's friends; and while they may like him, they aren't really close. As a child it would be easier for Spike to form close friendships with other children rather than adults. Play is also good for the future mental health of a child and it is much easier to get children to play than adults.
>>
>>25739709
It's strange because he really doesn't have the mind of a kid a lot of the time. I'd think he would even find some of the play stuff boring. It would be good if some pony showed him that I guess.

Honestly it would be better to just address the issue of him as you said having no friends of his own. Just have him bond with a filly or colt at a comic shop or something and have a slice of life about them getting in trouble. Some moral about keeping your eyes open for new friends even if you enjoy your old.

A friendship of his own initiated by his own claw would be nice for his character.
>>
>>25738812
>>25739726
Man, these are good ideas that would actually have me enjoy Spike episodes and like him again. I'm so tired of seeing him as the butt of every joke and having every episode be some sort of sick justification for why it's okay to push Spike around when he's just trying to find his place in the world.
>>
>>25739761
Spike as a punching bag stopped being funny even if you don't care about him as a character. It's not funny when it happens almost every single time a character is on screen. It becomes tiresome and a useless moment of padding. Like, what does it do and who does it appeal to? The people who would find it funny the first time tired of it because the shock value in the comedy is gone. You see a character on screen and expect something stupid.

It strikes me more as something they just did out of habit. I was surprised this season after the Princess Spike fiasco where Jim admitted that there might be something wrong with this attempt at humor they keep going for.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-12-07h08m47s873.png (319 KB, 733x413) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-12-07h08m47s873.png
319 KB, 733x413
>>25739820
I agree. What do you think is the worst moment of the Spike punching bag humor?

To me it was the Breezy episode when Spike had to apologize for a leaf falling off a tree. The mane 6 kind of stare at Spike with this awkward silence before Fluttershy gives this half hearted reassurance. Spike then gives her a hug after crying on the ground, convinced he ruined everything. She has this creep out expression--and this is Fluttershy--from a HUG. The hug lightly bumps into the Breezes who are stand right behind her. They start complaining and Spike is forced to make a retreat with the gang still watching all this with that same silent. And they're Spike's friends?

Yeah, kind of weird someone actually took the time and wrote this. It just doesn't have a place in this type of kid's show.
>>
>>25738465
Because she got fed up with Harbo's bullshit before she had a chance to build on the seeds she planted. I don't like it either, but I understand. The lost potential hurts me.
>>
File: 1411079794732.png (151 KB, 350x362) Image search: [Google]
1411079794732.png
151 KB, 350x362
>>
>>25740756
>>25739820
Spike is like the Squidward of the show, only he never reached his full potential like Squidy did before and wasn't ever a jackass.
>>
Spike really needs friends, but adding another group like the CMC would be too much clutter with characters. It would be nice to have Spike hang out with others, but there simply isn't enough screen time to go around.

Giving him an episode to stop sucking might be nice, but I don't see a long term solution - as long as he's whatever the writers want him to be for the episode he'll keep being worthless. It doesn't matter what the writing staff do, as long they make him consistent and not completely worthless they can save the character (I see this as unlikely), but I don't think that he'll ever really shine again.
>>
>>25742354
I would love to see Spike / Luna episode. According to that latest book with Luna, she would be most appropriate pony to handle with Spike's insecurities.

A great opportunity to:
- know more about dragon's
-- dragon enclaves?
-- their politics / stance towards ponies / Equestria?
-- could Spike physically grow / what about greed
- Luna's past
- a huge character spotlight for Spike, as Luna could confront his problems
- reflect and define "whatever that is between" Twilight and Spike
-- how it changed in timeframes : hatching, fillyhood, preS1 canterlot, ponyville
- (optionally) Twilight getting BTFO with raising Spike to miserable dragon
- (optionally) See spike's dream realm through Luna's assistance

>spike's dream realm
I'm really curious what could it be there. My guess is that his dream routine is also working on recent castle, as he doesn't have any actual dreams / aspirations to become

It's a shame, that anything about Spike needs to be searched between his lines. Even with Peewee, You had to be careful not to miss bird's fate.
>>
>>25742809
As long as it isn't about Fillydelphia and that stupid Dragontown it would be cool. Or just an episode dedicated to dreamwalking with Spike.
>>
>>25740756
Where was the humor there again?
>>
>>25738812
That baking episode idea is perfect: short, sweet and to the point, with a good moral lesson to boot.
>>
>>25743463
I have no idea. But it became a problem after season 3. And since Spike get next to no dialogue when does show up anymore, outside his one episode, that type of humor draws more attention since it's done more often.
>>
>>25743668
I mean if they did it once or twice it might actually be funny. But you expect it every single time he's on screen. It's a cop-out of them not wanting to go outside of their comfort zone.
>>
>>25742809
That would be good, just not the insecurity part as many of Spike's episodes (OWTEW, Dragon Quest, Power Ponies, Equestrian Games) have re-used this theme over and over.
>>
File: spikeallthetimeverytime.jpg (84 KB, 430x358) Image search: [Google]
spikeallthetimeverytime.jpg
84 KB, 430x358
>>25742809
let it go
>>
>>25743764
That's all they did with him in S4 and the ground is beaten down.

>>25742809
He definitely needs a dreamwalking experience. Maybe he'd have a moment with Luna when he realized his dreams are basically nothing that he needs to become his own self.
>>
>>25743732
There use to be a balance. Example (Over A Barrel):
- Spike had to stay up cooking for the mane 6 and tries to get some sleep; Dash complains about one kernel being un-pop; Spike fires the popcorn and pops the the kernel but burns all the popcorn in the process on purpose
- the gang makes too much noise so that Spike can't even sleep, causing him to storm off; he ends up going to the private, first class car with the tree and getting a good sleep there
- Spike ends up kidnapped with the tree as a result of the raid; Spike ends up getting along with his kidnappers and as a result saves Dash and Pinkie from a tight spot and opening dialogue between pony and buffalo

As you can read, some of the Spike misfortune humor did exist. But it was balanced by positive moments too. And some of it had a further purpose--like getting Spike in a position to find the buffalo.

Lastly, even with the worst of it, the other mane 6 were subjected to the same as well: Applejack in Applebuck Season; Twilight in Feelin Pinkie Keen and Lesson Zero, so Spike's didn't stick out.
>>
>>25743849
>That's all they did with him in S4
Inspiration Manifestation avoided this well enough.
>>
>>25744036
It's just not even that funny. The timing isn't there, there's no balance or "bite" to the comedy at all. The best that happens is "Oh, guess he got owned again. Yawn."

Part of the reason why Spike is so unpopular as a character and people can't describe why is that they keep writing these "jokes" around him and people are bored with them.

I guess it took them five seasons to realize this because no one ever specifically mentioned how no one is particularly entertained by it.
>>
>>25744062
It was better than in S5 at least. God, he just didn't have many speaking roles in general that season did he? I got a bad feeling the second I saw him not going to Starlight's town in the premiere and that turned out to be well placed.

His single episode in the season seemed honestly more like the design team wanting to show off a bunch of cool OCs.
>>
>>25744072
There's no reason for it and Spike isn't set up properly to be that character(like say Kenny from South Park) nor a complete asshole. What's more, depending who you talk to, Spike is seen as a kid. So the kid character is getting all this misery and pain while adults look on silently. That's messed up no matter where you go in the world.

>>25744092
I have no words for what happened in season 5 and have lost all faith by this point. Not gonna to lie; I was starting to have hope since IM was so strong and EG was accepted enough barring the singing national song moment.
>>
>>25744256
The fuck even happened, really? They only had three episodes to worry about the overarching story. Princess Spike feels like they didn't even try.

I hate it. I hate that my favorite character gets this and I hate it more that I can't talk about it without memes being spewed at me.
>>
>>25744400
I understand. Spike is one of my favorites too.

Interestingly enough, this place is pretty good for discussing the issue. There have been quite a few topics like this one that have gone well over the 100-200 post mark, even when the OP didn't open well. Just bring a point or a suggestion and you'll usually get some good replies.
>>
>>25744623
I'm the OP and have been posting a bit myself. Spike threads get discussion and bad Spike episodes are hated so much because we really care about his character.
>>
>>25744718
Not referring to this topic specifically. Some threads have opened as an attempt to bait and troll before it ended up as discussion. Example opening post: why is he such a terrible character?
>>
>>25745020
Yeah, and for some reason that makes people hate his fans more. Like what, people want shitposts?
>>
>>25728055
>Cartoons today use kid gloves too much and think kids are made of glass.

they don't care about that, they know kids aren't made of glass, they also know most of the people who watch (and spend money on it) are 20's neckbeards

but they're doing this because parents and other groups who are ready to sue and attack just to make quick cash while surfing on the "morality" wave
>>
>>25745211
But there are deaths in cartoons. Are they going to sue most of animation world?

>>25745058
Not sure. I know a couple of those posters have unintentional reveal their waifu war motives.
But I guess a "Spike Justice Warrior" or two are enough to speak for us all and throw the fans under a blanket.
>>
>>25745362
Some of those Spike Justice Warriors have a point. It's just how obnoxious they are about them.
>>
>>25745438
Not saying they don't. Just that I'm tired of being told we're all the same.
>>
>>25724981
Still a boring as fuck episode, nobody cares anon.
>>
>>25745468
We have an example of critiquing the show in a positive way no other can group does.
>>
Who is most developed male character?
>>
>>25745524
I don't know about no other group, but I think we have the best bases for our argument with our character.

Well, I think I've wore myself out on these issues for now. Got a lot of posts here under the belt. Till the next topic then.

>>25745541
Spike and Discord. But Big Mac is coming up the pole this season too.
>>
>>25745848
Alright. Hopefully we get something in S6. I say it every season, it must come true at some point.
>>
>>25745900
Hopefully.
>>
>>25745848
All of them were clucked to hell and back this last season too. I almost dread S6 for that and other reasons.
>>
>>25745541
Discord
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.