[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writefags' Guild: Necromancy in Action edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 13
Let’s get hypothetical.

You’re a writer who’s been going at it for a bit now. You really enjoy what you do and put your blood, sweat, and tears into each story. One day, you decide to post it in a random thread to get some feedback.

Just one problem: no takers.
You wonder if you should even bother writing; you decide to quit and move on to something else.

If that story applies to you, then hold your horses. If all you wanted was feedback, to improve your writing skills a bit, or maybe just see how others do it, then you’ve come to the right place. There are a few rules, however:

>Posting the story directly in the thread is preferred over a link to Pastebin, FiMFiction, etc.

>One story at a time.

>Don’t be a dick or asshole when reading or critiquing.

>All stories posted within the thread must be pre-written.

This thread’s purpose is to encourage writefags all over /mlp/ to write. We’re laid back here. Post what you want as long as it’s pone related. We’re not all “STOREEEYS ONLY!” We discuss topics such as writing techniques, interesting tropes, and bring forth story ideas. Let’s have fun.
>>
>>27838291
Things you should know about before writing clop:
Vhatug’s tips for anatomically correct clop and squash soup:
http://pastebin.com/g4VpEg4f

http://www.literotica.com/s/erotic-synonyms (Because using dick, balls, and pussy just isn’t enough to get the reader off. Remember, the reader cums first.)
Had to. Puns are awesome.

Things you should know about writing:
Clever’s Tips on How to Write Short Stories: http://pastebin.com/GGBkxi7e
How to into writing: http://pastebin.com/V1ujiyJt
Writing rules from Navarone: http://pastebin.com/bnMmZ2T3
Ezn’s Guite to writing Fanfiction: http://eznguide.neocities.org/
Writing Book for beginners: https://mega.co.nz/#F!pwo21SKA!dljqCUmOhkwLX3x9_ApEgQ
Help for creating OC characters: http://www.dawnsomewhere.com/ocguide/

A few authors from different threads should you seek inspiration from their stories:
Flutterrape general’s writers: http://pastebin.com/eG8iY7Wy
Active AiE general writers: http://pastebin.com/mVG33ERX
PiE general’s writers: http://pastebin.com/Mgd0QuNy

>“How do I cure my writer’s block?”
Magic.
>“FUCK YOU ANSWER THE QUESTION!”
There’s no one way to cure it, but, if you can’t write, you may as well read stories. There’s more to writing than writing; there’s reading too, and that helps. Check some of the links above.
Try the following (keep in mind this won’t work for everyone):
-Figure out when it’s the best time for you to write.
-Fap then write*.
-Write anyway, and allow yourself to write shitty stories. More often than not, the block is the fear of it being bad. That’s what editing is for.
-Seriously, drink coffee. It’s a writer’s best friend.
-Listen to music while writing.

*Unless you’re writing clop, then listen to your boner.
>>
>>27838302
Also,

Here’s some new stuff that didn’t fit in the second post.

A couple writing podcasts:
http://www.writingexcuses.com/
http://typehammer.com/podcast/

An archive of how to write pretty much anything:
https://curiosityquills.com/limyaael/

An idea generator:
http://writers-den.pantomimepony.co.uk/writers-first-lines.php

A worldbuilding forum:
http://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/
Alright guys, we gotta keep a closer eye this time
>>
File: 1467407736133.gif (2 MB, 594x540) Image search: [Google]
1467407736133.gif
2 MB, 594x540
What stories are most popular on this board? Least represented?
>>
>>27838439
Go to any general's pastebin, and look at the most popular stories.
>>
>>27838439
bump
>>
>>27839402
double bump
>>
Y'all need Jesus

<3
>>
>>27839691
let me pump in ur butt
>>
bepm
>>
wait we died again?
>>
>>27840865
A minor blip really
>>
Good morning Guild
>>
double bump
>>
I have a question. If a writefag stopped writing a greentext, then stopped for a couple of days, should they continue it? I ask because a hand injury knocked me out of writing.
>>
>>27842682
Replace the first "stopped" with the word "started."
>>
>>27842682
>a writefag stopped writing green for a couple of days.

There are writefags who continue green months later. A couple of days won't hurt you.
>>
>>27842682
Pretty much what >>27842741 said. My most recent story had a halt of four days, and then another one that lasted over two weeks before some anons made a thread and kicked my ass into gear.
>>
>>27842741
I once started re-writing something I wrote two years earlier.
>>
>>27842741
>>27842786
>>27842862
>>27842862
Thanks, lads. A bit new to writefagging, besides a few oneshots.
>>
>>27843664
Anytime, rest that hand Anon
That also means no fapping
>>
>>27844437
>>
>>27846452
bump
>>
>>27849075
another bump for good measure
>>
bumos
>>
Some food for discussion while we wait for someone to ask for critique.
Is there any writefag that you follow or whose stories you've enjoyed enough to recommend?
Do you actively follow any general (besides this one, of course)?
Are there any greens that you've ever felt inclined to re-read?
Is there a green/writefag that inspired you to write some of your own?
What type of green do you usually write?
>>
bopo
>>
>>27849853
I'll knock some of these questions down

Jazz Teeth's Eris story was amazing, I'm currently following the Flutterrape thread and occasionally check out the Dazzling thread.

I usually write slice of life kinda stuff
>>
bemp
>>
>>27849853
>Is there any writefag that you follow or whose stories you've enjoyed enough to recommend?
I honestly can't think of any.
>Do you actively follow any general (besides this one, of course)?
Nope, although I've kind of wanted to write for the marital problems thread a couple times.
>Are there any greens that you've ever felt inclined to re-read?
Nope.
>Is there a green/writefag that inspired you to write some of your own?
Also no.
>What type of green do you usually write?
Awful ones.
>>
File: 1448724105979.png (497 KB, 1185x1024) Image search: [Google]
1448724105979.png
497 KB, 1185x1024
>this thread is almost exclusively bumps
>>
>>27854628

bump
>>
>>27854204

You are, perhaps, the most unhelpful and uninteresting person I have ever seen make a post.
>>
>>27854628
We've been on a dry spell for a while now. It's usually more active than this.
>>
>>27854651
Well fuck you.
>>
File: 1465287561756.jpg (958 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1465287561756.jpg
958 KB, 1920x1080
I am of making poem. Will you be of read for me comrade? Its even about space! sort of
Overhead, infinity.
Below us, the stars.
A lifetime away, a light ceases to be, like a wind in the flames.
A man sits below, on his own, feeling the chill of desperation join him in the dark.
He reaches for the lights overhead, their colors mixing below with the fallen stars of the world.
All night, the man-made nova swirls, distracting others from the lights above.
They were made just for him, calling for his heart only.
If only he could reach them.
>>
>>27854204
>Marital problems
You should consider writing something for them, they seemed starved for green. Who knows, you might also cure them of their Loki-withdrawal.
>>
>>27856111
NOTICE MY TRIPS SENPAI
>>
>>27856152
I want to, but the story I want to write requires more planning than I normally do.
>>
nump
>>
bemp
>>
>>27849853
>writefag you follow
Zirivak
>Generals
Several waifu gens, SiM
>Re-read
Not yet.
>Inspiration
Several, but never got the author name.
>Type
Adventure, intrigue
>>
Alright, let's get some gears grinding in this place.

How much does Fluttershy actually know about animals?

She can communicate with them and has a more than adequate intuition, but how would be she do on a factual test?

And to keep this shit relevant to the thread:
How big of a role do Flutters' animals play in your stories about her?
>>
>>27858997
I've never written Flutters yet, but I think Angel is very important to balance her personality. The two extremes compliment and contrast each other and keep them from being individually flat.

As for animals, I think she lacks the natural Earth Pony power to control them but makes up for it with caring, love, and understanding that makes them more likely to obey than anything else.
>>
>>27856111
If I had any experience in poetry, I would totally give you feedback, but since I can't, here's a reply to hopefully get the attention of someone else
>>
>>27856111
Not bad. It managed to convey a sense of smallness and the ache of unfulfilled desire.

Also:
>like a wind in the flames
seems backwards to me.
>like a flame in the wind
seems to work better.
Lastly: The stars are first below, then overhead, and then mixing colors with the fallen beneath again. If this is unintentional it bears fixing. It makes it a bit confusing to me at least.
>>
>>27858997
a lot but not everything
>>
Save
>>
>>27861598
>>
bemp
>>
>>27864043
>>
>>27858997
>How big of a role do Flutters' animals play in your stories about her?
You know, I've never actually thought of that. I don't think I've ever written a story with Fluttershy as even a supporting character, but even if I had, I don't know if I would have considered her relationship with her pets
>>
How many OC's are too much in a story?
>>
>>27867921
When the reader can't remember who's who, or if the character serves a redundant purpose.
>>
>>27867921
What ^he said. Any time you've got traits split into individuals that would be complementary in another one is a waste and makes for flat characters.
>>
>>27849853
1. I've mostly seen the work of just nameless writefags, or I don't remember namefags. Although, I got involved in that filly thread as an drawfag, and I recommend the guys there- An Anon and Bluebird.
2. A follow adoption threads, those are fun. I go to the country ponies and strange waifu threads sometimes. Whatever I like.
3.Yes. That one green about crackpone and Trinity.
4. Somewhat. Sleep depravity really des most of the inspiration, but those filly threads helped me get into writefagging.
5. I've bothered writing one ongoing greentext so far. It's a green about a edgehorse.
>>
>>27869156
>>
Who's your favorite character to write? Why?
>>
>>27867921
It also depends on how you're using the OCs. If you just need some faces to put behind shop stalls or something, or ponies to give off a line or two in ambient dialogue, then I don't think there's any limit that wouldn't apply to just characters in general.
>>
>>27872428
Hey, you're not dead
>>
>>27872442
I've got an eye on this thread as often as I can spare it, which is usually quite often. I'm just as antsy for a critique as I suspect a lot of people here are.
>>
>>27872565
I'll try to get a short something in.
>>
bumpbump
>>
slow boogy
>>
>>27879159
Double boogy
>>
>>27880050
Triple boogy
>>
Bump General
>>
I like glim glam's ass
>>
>>27882226
Write about it.
>>
Boomp
>>
>>27884653
>>
File: rjr.jpg (243 KB, 1280x807) Image search: [Google]
rjr.jpg
243 KB, 1280x807
I was directed here.

Do you have any advice for an aspiring fanfic writer, specializing in warfics?
I have Ezn's guide bookmarked and all, but i'm not quite sure how to start.
I wish draw viewers in with the promise of tales as vicious as the Second World War.

Sincerely, Anon.
>>
>>27886567
I'm gonna level with you. We're slow right now, but I don't want to leave you hanging, I don't know myself but I'm positive someone does,
I'm curious about this too. So here's a polite bump.
>>
>>27886567
>Do you have any advice for an aspiring fanfic writer, specializing in warfics?
I can't really give advice, but I do want to ask: what aspect of war are you focusing on? The political aspect? The tactics? The battles on the ground?
>>
File: 1468283316602.png (230 KB, 408x474) Image search: [Google]
1468283316602.png
230 KB, 408x474
Does anyone know of a place that explains how best to write the death of a main character?
>>
>>27888097
oh man that's a tough one
>>
>>27871229
All of them and none of them
I get pretty antsy
>>
File: sublety is your friend.png (85 KB, 853x421) Image search: [Google]
sublety is your friend.png
85 KB, 853x421
>>27886567
Why would you use a children's cartoon as a medium for telling a tragedy about war? There's too much of a tonal shift since I'm assuming you want it feature suffering, fear and pointless slaughter in a world where friendship summons rainbow beams of redemption and ex machina.

The S5 finale featured dark alternate universes to raise the tension of Starlight's plan to remove Twilight's friends at any cost, so there isn't a lot to infer. But if you insist on doing this, don't take inspiration from WWII. Tone it down a bit and make it more like a dark Saturday morning cartoon with some action and black and white morals. The show doesn't take itself that seriously and prides itself on focusing on character conflicts even in the adventure parts of it. Why throw that away?

So you start with a character, give them something they want, put something that keeps them from doing what they want, and multiply that by the amount of characters you'll need. Tie it all together with a bow at the end.

If you insist that there is any "viciousness" in your fanfic, make sure that is implied without actually showing it. That's how some writers can pull of putting dark themes in children's entertainment. Instead of showing death, you make a pony bitch about how the smell of burnt changelings is getting to him. But I would not recommend this to a fledgling writer. It requires subtlety and a knife's edge to balance the two separate tones. If you haven't been writing for say about a year, you will end up with a cringey mess that your fellow anons will tear apart like jackals around fresh meat. That is, if they have any semblance of good taste.
>>
>>27888097
I don't know a specific place, but the best way is to do it:
>Right as the character achieves their goal
>Right after
>Right before

>Right before but failure (Tragedy)
>>
>>27890749
>>
>>27838291
Hello, I'm extremely new here. I've only written the first chapter of my first story (in the MLP/Star wars thread) and that went pretty well, people liked it, which gave me a massive confidence boost and then I vomited out another bit of my story, and it was processed, liquid shit, and now I'm extremely indecisive. I'm very unsure of what to write, what not to write, and how I should write it. And since the time between my writing sessions is so long, every few days ish (that's long for me), I never finish a bit before the session is done and the next time I write I delete everything I had and start over. I have no clue what to do because I have literally no experience with writing and I desperately need help.

P.S. Should I post my story here or link to pastebin. It says to post in the thread but i don't see any stories so I'm a bit confused.
>>
>>27892195
Post in the thread man, we've been waiting for stories
>>
>>27892239
INCOMING!

Chapter One: The Scout

>You are scout trooper #42
>You’ve been following Lord Nyx for the past 500 klicks.
>And you still have no idea of where she’s going.
>She’s been heading in the same direction the entire time but the only thing in that direction, a small imperial outpost, which is 22,119 klicks away, or exactly 500 klicks in the OPPOSITE FUCKING DIRECTION!
>Oh, and did you mention you’re on Hoth?
>Yeah, you’re on Hoth and it’s winter.
>You’re freezing, you’ve eaten a quarter of your rations, and what makes it even worse is that nyx is in a tank top, just to rub it in.
>Why did you volunteer for this job?
>You knew it was going to be arduous, cold, and painful.
>But you were getting sick and tired of your current position and you were hoping to get a promotion out of this.
>You’re not sure if it was worth is now.
>At Least you get some eye candy, Nyx has a fine ass. And her breasts are abnormally large for a Mirialan.
>>
>It’s been 700 klicks now and you think you see a mountain in the distance.
>You really hope she doesn't plan on climbing it.

>You’re at the foot of the mountain, it’s not very large, only about 1200 metres tall but very pointy.
>Nyx doesn't look like she’s going to climb it.
>Thank fuck.
>Infact she’s just sitting there... meditating?
>You think that’s what the general Ironwood called it.

>It’s been 2 Standard days.
>You are immeasurably bored.
>Half your rations are almost gone, and your transponder stopped working.
>At least when she was walking you could watch her boobs and ass jiggle but she hasn’t moved an inch in the last two days and still meditating.
>You’re sure that's what she’s doing now.
>And you’ve stated to notice something now. She’s sweating... somehow, in this cold.
>And a large faint circle has formed around her along with strange looking symbols.
>>
>Okay, shit just got real.
>The circle and symbols are now very well defined and are now glowing a very ominus red. And you’re pretty sure she’s floating.
>She opens her eyes and has a pained expression on her face.
>The ground starts shaking and you can see a small avalanche starting to form on the left side of the mountain.
>You’re not very worried about it though, there’s a pretty big ridge all the way up your side of the mountain so it’ll probably go around you.
>A large crack has formed on the side of the mountain and is slowly widening revealing an extremely large hall with massive stone pillars on either side.
>Nyx stands up and starts walking into the hall.
>You slowly and as carefully as possible follow her in.
>Once inside, the opening inches its way closed behind you.
>In order to avoid Nyx’ gaze you dodge between pillars and keep your footsteps as silent as possible.
>>
>At the end of the hall you see a large statue of what looks to be a Kel Dorian looking very imposing sitting in a chair with two huge pillars that look like strange lightsabers on both sides.
>Nyx kneels before the statue and offers some kind of knobbly wooden sceptre to the statue and starts chanting.
>”Oh great and powerful Anonymous, lord of darkness and vanquisher of light, accept this offering of blood and sacrifice so that you may return once more to dispose of the jedi filth that has infested the galaxy. Please accept this sceptre of war and anguish so that the sith may rule again. Oh great and terrible Anonymous I beg of thee, come back so the jedi will rue the day they thought they could defeat us!”
>The scepter starts floating with no support towards the statue of whom you assume to be this Anonymous fellow and starts glowing a vibrant greenish yellow.
>An opening appears on the chest of Anonymous and the scepter disappears into it.
>>
>The eyes of the statue start to glow and the lightsabers blaze to life, one green, one red.
>As Nyx raises her head the base of the chair starts to open with light pouring out and a tall commanding silhouette stands there.
>It starts walking towards Nyx as she kneels again.
>”I humbly welcome you back from your long sleep Master Anonymous.”
>>”Rise, young girl.”
>She does so with her head still bowed.
>>”Tell me your name.”
>Everything he says seems to resonate through the room and you barely stop yourself from speaking your own name.
>”Nyx, Master. Lord Nyx.”
>>”And you are a sith?”
>”Yes master.”
>There is a pause.
>>”Raise your head. Look into my eyes.”
>”Yes Maste-hugh.”
>She does so very eagerly but is cut off abruptly.
>She’s facing away from you so you can’t see her face but she’s making slight choking sounds.
>You hear a slight squelching noise and then a sudden-
*CRACK*
>Oh god that was the most horrible sound you’ve ever heard.
>>
>And the sight of what he just did made you want to vomit.
>Anonymous had just twisted her head 180 degrees and her face was streaming with blood from her hollow red eye sockets.
>This was with no apparent movement, but you just knew that it was him, you just had a gut feeling.
>He suddenly looks up directly at the pillar you were hiding behind.
>You hurriedly go back behind the pillar and close your eyes, hoping against hope that he didn’t see you.
>After a few seconds you look back. He’s gone.
>Where did he-
>>”Who are you?”
>You nearly jump out of your skin and hastily turn around.
>He was right behind you.
>How did he get there so fast?
>No time. Answer him.
“Uuhhhh, n-no-one sir”
>>”Liar. I know Noone and you’re nothing like him. What is your name?”
>He says the last bit in a slightly deeper more menacing tone.
“My name is Clear Skies sir.”
>>”And you are a spy for those who oppose the sith?”
“Yes sir.”
>Why did you say that?
>>
>>”Where is the nearest space ship capable of interstellar travel?”
>What?
>That would be the base where Nyx came from right?
>But what could he want with that?
“About 750 kilometres west of here.”
>>”Hmm”
>He hums, as if in thought.
>>”You shall guide me there. Come.”
>He starts to walk away.
>Wait, what?
“Wait what?”
>What the hell is going on?
>>”Was I not clear? You shall take me to the nearest interstellar vessel. It is rather quite simple, I should think.”
>Probably best not to argue with the guy who could rip out and cook you liver in a single stroke.
>You don’t know where you got that thought from but it felt right.
“Of Course!”

>It’s been two standard days.
>And Anonymous, you’re 99% sure that’s his name, hasn’t said a word since the last time.
>The few times you’ve been able to muster up the courage needed to speak without being spoken to in front of the terrifying Kel Dor, he hasn’t even looked at you.
>>
>The nights have been somehow even lonelier than before. At least when you were tailing Nyx you could be sure that you were in the presence of a person. But him?
>He acts almost like a droid.
>He didn’t want to eat, he refused the extra coat you offered and the past two nights he hasn’t even visibly sleept.
>All he does is sit down cross legged and not move throughout the night, eyes open.
>Your rational side says that Anonymous is a living, breathing, sentient lifeform, yet your instincts say that he might just be a very good droid replica.
>Lets hope he warms up to you.
>Or kills you.
>You’re not sure which is preferable.

>Day 6
>You almost fell down a cliff today.
>Well you say almost.
>You *fell* off a cliff today but Anonymous saved you.
>It felt as if you were still falling but nothing was moving around you, except for Anonymous’ gaze which followed you all the way back to safety.
>Once you were once again on the ground the feeling ceased and the snow began falling again.
>>
>Then his eyes left you and he continued walking as if nothing happened.
>When you said thank you there was no reaction, except you think you may have seen the slightest ascent of his breath-mask but you are in no way sure.
>You’re quite close to the imperial base now.
>Only about a day and a halfs worth of travel.
>When you mentioned this to Anonymous-
>Drum roll please
>There was no reaction. Just like normal.
>It only now occurs to you: what’s Anonymous is going to do once you reach the base?
>There are no Kel Dor allied to the Empire. Not after the Dorin wars.
>After a few minutes of psyching yourself up you ask.
“So, uh, what will you do once we reach the base? It’s Imperial and they don’t much like the Kel Dor. They’ll probably shoot you on sight.”
>”I shall ask them if I may have the ship.”
“And if they don’t let you?”
>”I will ask firmly.”
>>
>You are walking towards the base.
>It’s easily visible now. You can even see some soldiers patrolling outside.
>The base itself is relatively small but still manages to have 5 metre high walls surrounding it and a slightly taller tower on each corner.
>Anonymous looks quite calm but you are starting to get very nervous.
>One of the soldiers spots you and you can hear yelling.
>There is someone standing atop one of the towers holding what look like binoculars.
>Once you get moderately close to the gate one of the more important looking soldiers yells-
>>”STOP! State your business Kel Dor!”
>”I am here to acquire a ship capable of interstellar travel. Are you in possession of one?”
>>”And why would we lend a ship to you?”
>The soldier says derisively.
>”Because if you don’t, I will kill you all.”
>>>”HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”
>The laughing comes from inside as well as from the important looking soldier.
>>
>>”FIRE!”
>Suddenly a dozen heavily armed imperial soldiers pop up from behind the wall and fire some very dangerous looking DC-15A blaster rifles at you.
>The reason you are able to describe them is because all the bolts stopped in mid air.
>The one on the tower has a look of utter terror and disbelief on his face and mouths the word “jedi”.
>”No. I am no jedi.”
>The “not jedi” says calmly.
>”I’m my own thing.”
>Just as he says this the bolts fly back towards the imperials, hitting every single one directly in the head.
>All except the mouthy one. Who promptly falls off the tower.
>Anonymous, still calm, walks up to the gate and it opens for him.
>As you step inside the base you notice that the rude one was floating in midair, much like you had a day ago.
>He looks terrified as Anonymous walks up to him now looking far more menacing as he says in the same deep tone he had used on you
>”Where is your emergency escape ship. I know you have one.”
>>”I don’t know! Only the CO kn-
*CRACK*
>>
>>”AAAAARGHGGGGAARRRGH”
>His chest now looks like a pasta bowl and he coughs up blood as his eyes run with blood.
>You vomit.
>”You are the commanding officer here. Do *NOT* lie to me, I will know and you will only make this more painful for yourself.”
>>”It’s in the hangar. On the left. The code is 800835. Please don’t-”
*SLICE*
>He’s cut off as his head is cleanly severed and blood sprays out of both body and torso.
>You dry heave, having no more vomit to give, having made the mistake of looking up again.
>Not wanting to see anything more horrific you decide to curl up in a ball and close your eyes.
>You hear footsteps walking away from you.
>Then hangar doors opening and finally the sound of engines fading.
>You’re never going on another scout mission again.
>>
And there it is, my first ever story.
I hope you enjoyed.
>>
>>27892350
Alrighty, reading it
>>
File: goldstar.png (56 KB, 288x284) Image search: [Google]
goldstar.png
56 KB, 288x284
>>27892350
Alright, I've got a few things to say about this story, keep in mind that I'm almost as new at this as you are.

I'm wondering what you want this story to be. In the part with Nyx, there is humour to be found, but once Anon kills Nyx it turns rather dark and slightly edgy. Either is fine with me, but I'd say combining them doesn't work in a story as short as yours. There was little time to forget about the Clear Skies' comments about Nyx' curves and be properly horrified by Anons' actions.

A similar thing goes for the long and arduous journey your MC is making. My rational side knows it's there, but I'm not feeling the exhaustion, if you know what I'm saying. A bit more panting or looking at the empty landscape could go a long way.

Then there are some small things that you might need to take a look at.

Nyx is called a 'Lord', even though she's a woman. If that's just a Star Wars naming convention, then disregard this, otherwise I'd expect the word 'Lady'.

>You think that’s what the general Ironwood called it.
Leave out the 'the'.

>what’s Anonymous is going to do once you reach the base?
Should be: 'what is Anonymous going to do once you reach the base'

I'd suggest proofreading or letting someone else do it for you.

All in all, I did enjoy the story, having fun at Clear Skies' expense.
>>
File: killme.jpg (58 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
58 KB, 500x332
>>27892593
>mfw I forgot to proofread my own post
>>
Barney. So much Barney.
>>
>>27893150
Explain
>>
>>27893444
Raided by Barney threads. Mods finally cleaned them up
>>
>>27894276
>>
I've got a question: How do you go about writing, if you felt that your weakness was in writing others?

I especially feel that it'd be important to avoid specific character cliches.
>>
hey, guys. i'd like to post what i have to get some critique after a final edit session, but it's not in greentext format. is it cool if i put it on pastebin?
>>
>>27895513
Can you reword what you just said? Are you having trouble writing characters?
>>27896080
It doesn't need to be in greentext format to be posted, but if you want to put it in a pastebin, go for it.
>>
>>27896107
>>27896080
i've put it in a pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/1HiX5sqm

if it's requested, i can paste it into the thread, but otherwise i'm keeping it in the pastebin.

thanks, guys.
>>
>>27896638
i should also note that this is for the reverse trap/tomboy general.
>>
File: 1111.jpg (122 KB, 628x788) Image search: [Google]
1111.jpg
122 KB, 628x788
>>27896644
> this is for the reverse trap/tomboy general.
>>
>>27896107
Err... yea. I'll rephrase and elaborate it though.

For me, the hardest thing about writing, is other character's dialogue. It's easy to write an Anon based on yourself, but the personalities of others is another thing entirely, especially if you desperately wanted to avoid any possible cliche's related to them. e.g. Overdoing Applejack's southern accent, Rarity using darling in every sentence, "Nonny"...

I've only done a couple of short greens from prompts and most of them were in last October; at best, I'm dabbling in writing, but they've either had multiple characters (less lines from each one), or the conversations were one-sided.

Extended time on specific characters, would be the first hurdle into writing longer stories.
>>
>>27897392
Think of characters on multiple layers. Like you said, it's easy to write an Anon based around yourself, because all you have to do is "how would I react in this situation?" but you're probably not aware of all the little things that go into your decision making process.

Pretty much the only thing I can recommend is study the characters. Look at how they act in different situations, and compare them to how other characters act in those scenarios. Think about the internal and external factors that go into informing the character and their actions.

For starters, you could look at the relationship between Applejack and Apple Bloom, and compare that with Rarity's and Sweetie Belle's relationship.

And don't worry if you don't catch everything on your first go around. There is always something new to learn about good characters, and always new ways to look at, frame, and interpret their actions.
>>
>>27897547
Fairly straightforward, but sound advice.
I suppose I might need to watch some episodes again while paying extra attention towards the personalities of characters. Thankfully, I've got them all recorded.
>>
Hello bump.

>>27892593
Can I get one gold star for my own?
>>
>>27898811
>>
File: goldstar2.png (192 KB, 647x938) Image search: [Google]
goldstar2.png
192 KB, 647x938
>>27898811
Here you go.
>>
File: 1397311436590.jpg (83 KB, 720x719) Image search: [Google]
1397311436590.jpg
83 KB, 720x719
>>27898811

Sorry, I don't have any gold stars. I do have an alicorn though. Have her instead.
>>
b
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.