[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>watching the 0079 movie trilogy before the TV series >considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: ishygddt.jpg (23 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.jpg
23 KB, 600x600
>watching the 0079 movie trilogy before the TV series
>considering yourself a Gundam fan after doing so
>>
MSG TV is shit ripe with QUALITY anyway, movie trilogy is as close to intended version as possible, since Tomino didn't have to whore it out to toy manufacturers anymore.
>>
>>14504847
>not watching both and appreciating both of them
>>
File: 1461479520713.jpg (213 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1461479520713.jpg
213 KB, 1280x720
>>14504847
With all the different continuities outside of the UC timeline, it's not really necessary to like or even watch 0079 to be a Gundam fan.
>>
>>14504852
>Tomino didn't have to whore it out to toy manufacturers

This.

There was a lot of "Mech of the Week" BS in 0079 that was cut out of the movies.
>>
>>14504847
>Not watching the definitive version of of the series.
I bet you ignore the Zeta movies too.
>>
File: 20150420015607d3a.jpg (66 KB, 617x1000) Image search: [Google]
20150420015607d3a.jpg
66 KB, 617x1000
>>14504847
Y'know I saw every early UC anime but never saw the movie recaps except for zeta's because the scene of Kamille groping Fa's ass in space in victory was too good to miss. But I digress. I should go watch the 0079 movies right now. How are they?
>>14504886
I just started turn A. I like it so far.
>>14504917
The zeta movies have some neat stuff in there but the new animation clashes in a weird manner. The pacing feels a little odd too but I still like them.
>>
>>14504852
>shit ripe with QUALITY
People overstate this every time. Why? It's average animation for the time.
>>
>watching the show because youre a misguided weeb when its the movies that japan actually enjoyed as classics and its the movies that Origin is based on
Sure whatever. Ask Tomino which one he'd prefer you to watch. I bet I know what his answer would be.
>>
>>14505955
No its fuckin not dude. Compare it to anything else from that year
>>
>>14506005
>caring about what Japan considers classic
>calling others weebs

No one cares about what Tomino prefers. The piece of shit Zeta proved he has no idea what to do with his own franchise or what made the original great.
>>
>>14505910
>I should go watch the 0079 movies right now. How are they?

If you've already seen the TV show, then you're not missing much and won't gain anything other than substantiating your shitposting about either version.

Personally I prefer the movies and recommend it them over the TV show to people wanting to get into Gundam. There practically no filler so the pacing of the story doesn't get bogged down too much at all while still hitting all the major events of the story OYW. I say that if you really liked the movies, you could always just go back and watch the TV show for more. Even if you don't, the movies serve as a perfectly adequate substitute for TV show and you can progress with the later stuff without investing an extra 10+ hours by watching the TV show that you may not like.
>>
>>14506565
>There practically no filler
There was no filler in the TV show. You did not understand Gundam.
>>
File: konata_middle_fingers.jpg (55 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
konata_middle_fingers.jpg
55 KB, 640x400
>>14504847
>post /v/ memes from 2013
>consider yourself /m/
>>
>>14506571
>There was no filler in the TV show

Sure there wasn't.
>>
>>14506605
>character development is filler
Maybe you should stick to the movies, since that's cut out.
>>
>>14506605
This is the so-called "filler" from the TV series:
>scenes that humanize the Zeons
>character development
>showing the struggles of the White Base crew on their journey
Fuck that, just get me to the robot fight set pieces faster. I don't care about the main themes that made the series a landmark anime. Glad the ebin salt filler arc is finally over bros XD.
>>
>>14506619
>>scenes that humanize the Zeons
Holy shit it annoys me so much when people say 0079 was one of the first anime where the enemy wasn't a cartoon evil guy but normal people that were on the other side. Almost all important Zeon people had mean looking faces and were bad for the sake of it. Okay, there was that one scene were the Zeon army gave supplies to the enemy civilians. That's about it.
>>
>>14506617
>>14506619

It's not really character development if it doesn't go anywhere nor explains the character's motives. Everything you really need to know about Gundam characters is explained with relation to the major plot points. Other than that is just story chaff.
>>
>>14504847
The movie trilogy was released in the US first, dummy
>>
>>14506617
>>14506619
Character development that doesn't develop the character in any meaningful way is filler.
Plot lines that don't contribute to the main plot or even go anywhere is filler.
>>
>>14506619
>he doesn't realize the movies were what fully cemented Gundam as the icon it is
Laughing sluts.jpg
>>
>>14505910
>except for zeta's because the scene of Kamille groping Fa's ass in space in victory was too good to miss.

Can anyone link that scene, I'm curious now.
>>
File: clap.gif (222 KB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
clap.gif
222 KB, 448x336
>>14506627

>Almost all important Zeon people had mean looking faces and were bad for the sake of it.

>Garma
>Char
>Ramba Ral
>Hamon
>Dozle
>Plus several grunt of whom I can't remember the names
>>
>>14508085
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crOjGTplr6s
>>
>>14508098
Dozle looks intimidating.
>>
While you don't miss anything important just watching the movies and whoever thinks you have a duty to watch children TV is an idiot; a lot of the things that made me love 0079 aren't part of the movies and a lot of people would consider them filler. It's like x-files, while there's a plot that is going on, some times what makes the show good is stuff that doesn't need to go anywhere after it happens.

The time the Gundam was reduced by a Zaku without ammo and 6 soldiers that wanted shore leave to see their families in floating scooters is great. It shows that just because you have a giant robot you can't ignore other types of troops or proper support.
The salt episode is usually listed among the worst, but the idea behind it is pretty much what should define "real robo". You can loose your war not by getting shot but by running out of resources.
I don't remember how much civilian life was left in the movies but that's also a great thing to show that serves as an example of what was lacking in mechas and animu sci-fi in general.

But if you just want the plot to understand the setting there's absolutely nothing wrong with just watching the movies. I'd bet a ton of people just read the wiki synopsis before shitposting.

>>14507420
Just because it gets picked up latter on doesn't make it good or enterteining. If anything a ton of Gundam "character development" tends to make the series worse.
>>
>>14504847
I fell for the salt meme.
>>
>>14504847
In my defence, at the time that I did see the trilogy, the entire series wasn't available. Much less captioned.
>>
>>14508127
He's supposed to be a gentle giant.
>>
>>14506627
>soldiers discussing shore leave
>pilots having names
>people screaming for grunt soldiers
>pictures of their families, mentions of visiting
>a handful of higher ups you can empathize with
>dissent among enemy higher ups about stuff that isn't who can be the most evil
0079 not only was the first but it works the not-so-evil enemy better than most mecha anime up to this day.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.