[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Existential Crisis (2.5 years and counting)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3
>got an MEng degree in a """respected""" subject (at least is makes people overrate my intelligence)
>graduated last summer and only had part time jobs since then
>have final round interview for good role at very big and respected company in London
>it's finance related, meaning ultimate wageslavery doing braindead work while living in a cupboard in City 17
>tfw haven't spent all my free time learning to program to make a startup or whatever shit really makes you rich

How the fuck can I cope with this? Wageslavery seems like a sort of hell. When I see people say stuff like "spend 2 years minimum in a job bro, any shorter and it looks bad" it seems absurd. Spending 2 years of your life on shit?

I feel like I'm possibly already failing to appreciate what I have now. Lots of free time because only 18 hours of work a week in a menial job, living wiht parents who literally like me living at home because they like me (though they want me to get a job obviously), living in a small city with two universities (so at least I can daydream about getting girls, not that I can), lots of time to go to the gym...
>>
>>8062052
Grow the fuck up.
Charles worked in a fucking post office for 10 years before someone actually cared about anything he wrote of cause he's going to be a bitter cunt about employment.
>>
>counting the time on a crisis
>being able to do it correctly

nah, youre just pretending.
>>
I'm tired of hearing about this sort of self-pitying, melancholic drivel. There are so many ways to achieve the things that you want, yet you come here to whine about your life, about how everything would've been so much better if you had made a different choice somewhere. Just because it seems easy to shit out some app and sell it to Microsoft for $6B doesn't mean you would've done that. You probably would've been watching a Warren Buffet interview, wondering why you hadn't gone into finance instead. It doesn't matter what you do, but don't wallow over 'what could've been'. Making a choice and sticking with it will get you to where you want to be in a much swifter and more reliable fashion. Don't you see the opportunities you have? You're in one of the highest paying industries in the world, you've got the financial stability to develop personal interests, and you're in an excellent position to generate plenty of capital for any start-up ideas you might have, to hire programmers that are better than you ever would've been, and to end up with a much better product compared to when you would have done it all yourself. If you people would just stop whining for one moment, and realize that passivity and self-reflection is entirely detrimental to positive personal development, that making a bad choice and being persistent with it is very often better than making no choice at all, then all you fuckers would be much happier, much richer, and much less prone to shit all over /lit/ with your self-centred bullshit.
>>
>>8062052
I think there's peace in doing your job. Look at "Jiro Dreams of Sushi", that's one of the happiest fucks I've ever seen. He's always got something on his mind, something on the plate, something to strive for. Even if you think the goal is ultimately worthless because you're nihilistic or haven't found purpose or whatever, you have to appreciate how doing a good job keeps you preoccupied.
>>
>>8062089
elaborate
>>
Where abouts m8?

I'm in London currently living the wageslave life.
>>
>>8062093
That's a slave's peace. The protestant work ethic and similar tendencies in other cultures are the biggest scam on the planet.
>>
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
>>8062052
I'll take ur job then faggot

I'm in CS right now and every mothafucker thinks they can just start a startup and become rich. It's not happening if you're still a dumbfuck who can't come up and execute a good idea

kys tbqh
>>
>MUH wageslavery is evil
>I'm gonna fight the man by living in my moms basement
>why don't chicks like an unemployed basement dweller
>GHOSTBUSTERS HAS WOMEN IN IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8062091
>self-reflection is detrimental
I'd tell you to kill yourself, but you're going to do it with or without me if you've been memed that hard.
>>
>>8062140
You are not a slave. You have the choice to do nothing with your life if you so choose. Stop being so dramatic.
>>
>>8062144
>MUH wagecuckery is good
>I'm gonna get rich by working 50 hours a week at McDonald's
>why don't chicks like the smell of lard
>greed is good REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8062149
Working at a shitty dead end job is doing nothing with your life. Half of the workforce could literally be replaced by computers today.
>>
>>8062153
You do realize that most of the humans in history have worked, one way or another, for the entirety of their lives, that we're created to do so, and that by doing nothing we're bound for stagnation and unhappiness?

I guess if you enjoy doing whatever you want and not accomplishing anything that helps perpetuate things in society, then whatever. What do I care, and what place is it of anyone else to judge you for living your life in a way you see fit?
>>
>>8062158
Who says you have to be the half that works the dead end job? There's literally no reason in contemporary America that you can't find some kind of job that's not completely monotonous. Also, grow up, sometimes you'll have to do shitty things you don't like. I had to pick thousands of tiny ass roller bearings everyday to earn my place at a machine, then I had to do monotonous shit at that machine everyday, but then once I proved I'm not a lazy nihilist I -earned- the right to do 'higher tier' stuff.

You're complaining that work is monotonous and boring, but refuse to do anything about it, and instead sit back on your hind legs and howl about how unfair life is. Seriously, grow a sack and fix the problems in your life instead of being a little baby stuck on mommys titty.
>>
>>8062160
>Everyone does it
Great argument. I'm sure that really blew them away at your high school debate club.
>>
>>8062158
atm it hasn't so keep making that money
I don't see why you're turning down a job in this shitty economy

I've applied to 6 places and not one damn interview yet. im fucking suicidal
>>
>>8062169
Well, you missed the point. Not that I'm surprised, since you're a retarded neckbeard with a chip on his shoulder.
>>
>>8062170
He's lazy. He doesn't really hold any principals, or believe in any ideals. At the core of it, he's a spoiled child who never grew up.
>>
>>8062168
>le grow up maymay
Being happy about getting bent over a barrel by people who are paying you a fraction of what you're making them isn't being grown up, or growing a pair, or whatever other prole memes about how noble work is that you've clearly had shoved deep into your anus. It's being a doormat that denies it's a doormat.
>>
>>8062172
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem
>>
>>8062052
Why is /lit/ so full of butthurt wageslaves lately? Its allright if you think a slightly nicer car and a fancy title is Worth spending all your time and energy doing something you hate. But dont pretend theres anything noble or good about it. And if you do, then atleast leave /lit/ as you dont belong here.
>muh society
>the bigshots deserve that I sacrifice my life to make them richer and if you dont then youre a bad person
>>
>>8062176
>nyyehh corporate greed
>nnyyaahhh people shouldn't make a profit on their risks
>ddddddurrrr people who haven't invested anything should reap the rewards!
>>
>>8062180
They're shitposting here from their summer jobs.
>>
>>8062052
Nothing wrong with earning a wage and doing a few shitty years to get yourself where you want. You're only in trouble when you feel you have sense of loyalty to your company or job, that you'd give up your pursuits so as to keep your boss happy. Don't do these things.
>>
>>8062181
Nice spooks, chief.
>>
>>8062052
What does this have to do with literature ya fekkin neurotic
>>
>>8062052

Just about to graduate as an MEng myself. What's your alma mater?
>>
>>8062160
> we're created to do so
> perpetuate things in society

Are you trying to exploit the spinning corpse of Max Stirner for energy?
>>
>>8062052

Yeah, work sucks! XD You tell it, Bukowski!

Holy god, this is like shit you'd expect to see on the side of a coffee mug. How can anyone read a book full of this crap?
>>
>>8062212
Literal wagecuck detected.

*sucks McDonalds straw*

Must suck to be you

*belches*
>>
>>8062208
Good one, dude.
>>
>>8062228
s p o o k e d
p
o
o
k
e
d
>>
>>8062052
I had mine when I was 25 working as a bureacrat the doing nothing useful. Menial labour, mostly downtime, everyone there literally seemed to already have died inside. Eventually I got fired for w.e reasons, and now that spurred me to finally pursue what I wanted to do, teaching.

Now I'm a teacher, I love the work that I do, it's meaningful and important, and that's that.

Don't waste your life anon, you only get one.
>>
>>8062715
>Menial labour, mostly downtime

Sounds like a dream job if you can read during that downtime.
>>
>>8062133
If you did have a crisis you wouldn't bother counting
>>
>>8062052
bukowski is fucking idiot and only slobby lazy retards romanticize him
>>
>>8062771
And moreover, "before" is not the time when you didn't have existential crisis, but the time when you didn't realise you had it. So one wouldn't make a division between "before" and "after", since it's useless.
>>
>>8062091
also this
>>
File: Illegalists.jpg (13 KB, 180x175) Image search: [Google]
Illegalists.jpg
13 KB, 180x175
>>8062052
There's nothing meaningful to be done. Spiral into a series of self-destructive crime.

Hey, what else were you going to do.
>>
>>8062755
I read, trust me. Still not worth it at all. The human being thrives when it can do meaningful contributions to the world. Pursuing knowledge for its own sake is empty. Trust my wisdom here.
>>
>>8062138
is london that horrible a place?
>>
>make $23/hr to shitpost
>NEETcucks do it for free
Must suck to be a NEETcuck.
>>
>>8062875
It's a big city.
>>
>>8062877
what kind of educational background and professional experience does one need for this kind of job?
>>
>>8062926
For you, maybe.
t. russian
>>
>>8062935
NSA

just got to have a clean background
>>
>>8062052
You should probably learn from Bukowski and do a manly manual labor job (just not a postal man)

Learn carpentry, be a machinist, or a mechanic or a farmer. It's not some bullshit like finances where you waste all your time for something abstract and tangential where you don't even get to see or feel good about the fruits of your labor. You'll get sun, exercise, and build your willpower and stamina.

White collar jobs are for cucks. Throw your degree into the trash.
>>
>>8062052
The sentence structure in that quote bothers me.
>>
I'm not having a crisis but I am a NEET working on getting my life together somewhat and trying to start a business which is a little hard when you don't have much money, I must admit.

For a few years my hobby was bladesmithing so I have been wanting to turn that into a job because I absolutely hated working under someone else and all the bullshit bureaucracy that came with it. So, I have been slowly getting supplies together so I can do what I want and hopefully have people pay for it. Having made knives, axes, and the odd thing for potentially reenacting, I figured it'd be pretty easy to cater to the latter and make pretty authentic things that are not ridiculously expensive.

This is what I want to do. This is not wageslavery. I am my own boss. Good times with weapons.
>>
>>8062142
This pasta is starting to smell
>>
>>8062052
I've only stayed in each of my jobs for a year. I've heard that two year thing before too but the truth is if they're interviewing you then they need you, or at least think your close to what they need, and so they want mind making you jump ship to them and if you have the next job lined up then what does how long you were at this one matter.
Just be sure you can give reasons for leaving without looking like a total mercenary.
My first job I left cause it was stagnant and I'd stopped learning.
Second job I left to travel for half a year and didn't go back because I didn't want to live in that area again.
Third job I was going to leave cause my first job contacted me desperate for people and they had much better benefits along with the pay raise. Didn't end up doing it though cause my current company counter offered.
In four years my salary went up 55%. Feels good man.
>>
>>8063527
It's also most likely to be used by someone who is at least in part projecting his insecurities onto others.

It's content is identified as "harmful" by the observer who lacks precisely these things in life, and in seeing how it makes himself feel, he concludes that it must have the effect on others.

You see, to a person with healthy self esteem, attacking that of others never seems to be necessary.
>>
>>8062968
make wrought fences for more money :3
>>
>>8062968
Are you me?

I'm also a Neet and this is basically what I want to do, I've taken a short trad blacksmithing course and I'm also assembling my equipment.

>>8064249
Fences are machined nowadays, gates are too usually.

Wrought Iron for gates and fences hasn't been in use (in England at least) since the 1960's, when it was replaced with Mild Steel.

And hand making fences and gates is so absurdly expensive compared to machining them that basically nobody bothers.

It's also prohibitively time consuming and expensive to get a master artisan to hand make individually rail by rail hundreds of meters of fence, especially if you want it to look even remotely fancy.
>>
The problem isn't that you have to work, it's that you've got nothing to work for. You would eventually have the same crisis if you never had to work.

The greatest burden modern society puts on people is the burden of having to invent themselves, create their own meaning of life, essentially be their own messiah. Most people can escape this anxiety temporarily through conformity, but if you have a habit of self-reflection you won't be able to escape it for very long. Having to invent your own religion while working is too great a burden.

In most societies of the past, people were given an identity that would last them a lifetime, allow them to live comfortably. Today, every adolescent is expected to create their own identity, which is why adolescence can now last to the age of 25+.

An existential crisis is despair in the face of one's own lack of identity, the meaninglessness of one's life. If you know what your life is about you can work in a field all day and retire in the evening happy; but if you have no idea what you are working for, just getting ready to go to the office in a morning can be unbearable. In a relativist society that does not have any objective "values", you are expected to invent your own "values". A lot of young people will latch on to some personality, a political figure like Marx, a philosophic figure like Nietzsche, some musician, writer, celebrity, whoever.

An existential crisis is the awareness of the utter nihilism at the bottom of one's life, that one's life is ultimately pointless. The rise of existential crises is due to liberal society which tolerates all religions and philosophies, so the true and the false, good and evil, become obscure.

A million false shepherds have gone out into the world. I've already mentioned Marx and Nietzsche. You can try and be your own shepherd if you want, your "own man". It won't work, you are weak and corrupt. Jesus Christ is the good shepherd. The Catholic Church is the true church.
>>
>>8062052

You that Arab Scottish guy who wouldn't stop posting about the PTP? I have an engineering degree too, and four years out of school I'm stuck doing a job a monkey could do while getting rejected from every job/educational opportunity I apply to. At least be glad to be where you are, asshole. It may be a terrible job, but you can make a fuckload of money and do stuff you enjoy in your free time. The truth is modern life isn't meant to make you happy, but if you take advantage of what you do have you can at least squeeze some modicum of pleasure out of life in between having your soul slowly crushed into a half-dead state.
>>
>>8064346
This makes sense.
>>
>>8062052
Please, O-mighty Bukowski, tell me of this communist utopia where people don't have t shit, piss, or brush their teeth anymore.
>>
>>8064346
>Most people can escape this anxiety temporarily through conformity, but if you have a habit of self-reflection you won't be able to escape it for very long.

>Jesus Christ is the good shepherd. The Catholic Church is the true church.

You contradict yourself.
>>
>>8064346
good post
>>
File: Big Yuk.png (454 KB, 443x500) Image search: [Google]
Big Yuk.png
454 KB, 443x500
>>8062052

Bukowski is such a fucking hack.

I wish I could kill him and all of his fans.
>>
Reading Bukowski won't help you, OP. Guy was a fucking loser.

Quit his job at the post office then went begging to have it back again. The chicks he fucked were ugly as shit.
>>
>be 20

>walk in 70 businesses without degrees, most of them wealth management/stock brokers etc

>takes a month get at financial advisor firm

>by the time i'm 25 i could be making a few hundred thousand a year

I ended up quitting actually just this week, I couldn't handle it, the calling 150 people every 5 hours on average and having to constantly be in a mindset of selling wore on me and its pressuring as hell, but in reality who the hell could fucking wake up at 5:30 like my boss does and end work at 5:30-6 and even then work at home and get to bed at 10 and start the whole thing over.

I'm just ranting but wage slavery is awful.

I worked it a few months before realizing that you literally have to be braindead and accepting of the fact that your life is worth x amount of money.

Before anyone asks what the alternatives are I traded stocks before and i'm going to do it again while doing postmates not glamorous but you make a few thousand a month and work 5-6 hours a day and then hope to trade it up.

As an adult and as a person in general you really need to think to yourself, what am i worth and what is my life worth and how much do i want, will i be happy making 80k a year for 50 hours a week, 20k a year 40 hours a week, etc etc.
>>
>>8062208
Kek
>>
>>8062052
I guess it's IEEE or CompSci ?
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.