[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My mom's story about me in the Wash Post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: maret.jpg (737 KB, 1600x1032) Image search: [Google]
maret.jpg
737 KB, 1600x1032
Using a fake name, of course, which in reality, is part of my hebrew name.

I picked up my 20-somethingson, David,at themetroa few weeks ago. After he got into the car, heput out his hands towards me, and asked:
“Do you likethis color?Kind ofadeep purple. I get a lot of compliments on it.”
YES, DAVID WEARS NAIL POLISH; BRIGHT, GLOSSY, FREQUENTLY CHANGING COLORS, NAIL POLISH. AND IT DOESN’T BOTHER ME. IN FACT,I LIKE THE DEEP PURPLE SHADE.
When David first told us he was gay in his junior year in high school, my husband and I were somewhat surprisedbut when we thought about it, it began to make sense. At first I worriedabout the increased chances that he would develop AIDS and Iwas concerned about problems he would likely face being acceptedas a gay man in the less tolerant world we lived in a decade ago. But the gay part? We had an inkling. O.K., more than an inkling. (and what parent doesn’t?).
As an avid reader and news-watcher, I did havesome knowledge of the evolving gay community.I was aware of the AIDS crisis in the 1980’s, I remember when Barney Frank became the first U.S. congressman to come out as gay in 1987 and when in 1989 a New York Court ruled that it was legally possible for a same-sex couple to constitute a family.
But when our teenage son told us he was gay, my personal knowledgeof what it meant to be a gay man was, unfortunately,tainted by popularmedia stereotypes which told us that most gay men:
* dressed impeccably
* were extremely neat and well organized
* often chose interior design or hair styling as their professions
* had high pitched, effeminate voices
* liked to gossip
* had many women friends
From time to time, in my son’s late teen years, I honestly wondered if maybe he had been mistaken as to his sexual identity. After all, he was incredibly sloppy, his bed room was knee-deep in dirty clothing and he was completely disorganized.Heplanned to major in chemistryand disliked idle chatter.
But the years passed,as he grew into his 20’s,he stayed just as disorganized andmessy, with a fervent dislike for doing laundry–and he remained gay.
He is comfortable with his own identity. And because he is so comfortable, we are too. He has patiently explained that what I first thought I knew about gay men wasall wrong.
1/2
>>
>>8053808
And finally the media has caught upa bit. Wehear about gay football players and (sometimes) see gay men whodon’twear stylishclothing.
Unfortunately, it still makes the news when a gay man isthe first in his field or profession.
Earlier this year, when our synagogue, Temple Sinaiin Washington, DC, hired a new rabbi who happenedto be gay, it became a news story in the WashingtonPost.
“RABBI ADAM ROSENWASSER RECENTLY BECAME THE FIRST RABBI HIRED TO FILL A MAJOR PULPIT IN WASHINGTON WHO IS MARRIED TO SOMEONE OF HIS OWN GENDER. BUT HE DOESN’T LIKE TO FOCUS ON THAT. ‘I’M GAY, BUT I ALSO LIKE TO SCUBA DIVE AND PLAY GUITAR.’“(AUGUST 8, 2014)
Sonow we all know that some men who are football players, some whoare messy and some who are rabbis,can all be gay. And that the fact that they have sexual partners of the same gender is not what defines them.
And there are somemen who wear nail polish. And change colors frequently, and with great pleasure.
But I draw the line at mint green. Adays ago David showed me his latest color, his nails were mint green.Reminded me of medical scrubs, bad memories. Better to go back to the purple or maybe try a new shade, I suggested,how about deep pink?
David looked up at me as if I was crazy, “Mom, I am not that gay”.
O.K., so I don’t totally get the gay male thing yet. But I accept it, and I accept him, purple nail polish yes,mint green no, his color choices don’t define him either.

2/2
thoughts?

Thoughts?
>>
What's up with the grammar? Can't read that shit.
>>
OP is a faggot (but not first in your field)

Your mom can't write for shit.
>>
>>8053824
Formatting sucks
>>8053829
Whats wrong with her writing? She worked as a contract lawyer.
>>
>>8053809
>RABBI ADAM ROSENWASSER RECENTLY BECAME THE FIRST RABBI HIRED TO FILL A MAJOR PULPIT IN WASHINGTON WHO IS MARRIED TO SOMEONE OF HIS OWN GENDER. BUT HE DOESN’T LIKE TO FOCUS ON THAT. ‘I’M GAY, BUT I ALSO LIKE TO SCUBA DIVE AND PLAY GUITAR.’“(AUGUST 8, 2014)
Man what the fuck.
>>
ayyy
>>
>>8053829
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2014/09/11/i-may-not-always-understand-my-gay-son-but-i-always-accept-him/
>>
>>8054015
TOP FUCKING YEK
>>
File: 1461896317939.jpg (91 KB, 500x563) Image search: [Google]
1461896317939.jpg
91 KB, 500x563
>>8053808
>>8053809
Solipsistic, petty, ephemeral, pointless and progandizing kvetching.

Heeb/10
>>
>>8053808
>>8053809

what is your own opinion on it, OP? i'll show you mine if you show me yours (i'm sure you're familiar with that mechanic)
>>
>>8054031
>Solipsistic, petty, ephemeral, pointless and progandizing kvetching.
kvelling, not kvetching,
>>
>>8053808
>>8053809
Is your mother retarded? She writes like a total downie. And you sound like a total fucking faggot idiot. Also
>implying any of this drivel is real
good thread OP, thanks for the shitthread of the day
>>
>>8054049
She has two graduate degrees and her father went to Yale and Harvard. What about you?
>>
>>8054076
in what? women's studies? and btw just because your cousin went to China once doesn't mean you're chinese
>>
>>8054095
Latin American Studies and Law.
>>
>>8054076
>two graduate degrees
In what, special needs?
>and her father went to Yale and Harvard.
>her father
Why on Earth does her father mather you inbred retard? If her father your father? Fuck off.
>>
>>8054076
If an idiot can get a PhD, then a retard can get a graduate degree. And Ivy League schools are dead, they produce systems managers and braindead technocrats.
>>
>>8054102
if she's such a highly educated latin american lawyer then why does she waste her time shitposting on the WP? out of work? fired because her son is an abomination?
>>
>>8054108

even a dog can get a degree in the usa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_with_fraudulent_diplomas
>>
>>8054114
She was born with a heart condition that prevented her from working as a lawyer anymore. Her father owns his own firm, still works in his 90's.
>>
>>8054122
I have never met such recklessly hateful, spiteful people as here. Why? Simply because you can? To what end?
>>
>>8054124
so she's just bored because she can't work and she won't ever have any grandchildren to adore and spend time with. good job op, you revealed to us the source of your mother's shitty attempt at journalism. WP will fit her just fine
>>
>>8054141
She has 2 grandchildren. I have a sister.
>>
>>8054135
ughm? where did i express any hatred? i didn't even bother to read the original post and what's this thread about, to be honest

but if you really want me, i can be mean too. i just read the original post and i have a question, what's the point of this thread? as i see it you simply want to brag that your mother was published by washington post while writing about you, i see no other reason to post it on /lit/
>>
>>8054149
good to know that heart disease is hereditary. in case the same counts for shitty writing skills, we can at least rely on evolution to exterminate your family and do away with your cancerous genes
>>
pls continue, was enjoying this thread
>>
>>8054002
OP must have copy pasted the article as she wrote it not as it was published. So that's like a little note or citation.

>>8053996
>Whats wrong with her writing? She worked as a contract lawyer.
She suffers from this thing where people meander around the subject or topic all the time. So she was worried. About what? About you getting AIDS but actually about you being accepted as a homo sexual. It's like a massive separation between what's being done and what's being done to.

A (very very) quick rewrite:
When my son came out to me, I was worried. Those were different less accepting times, and after the hysteria of AIDS I feared for his health. Then what about his peers? Would they accept him?

Etc etc Not to say of there being nothing like a journey and your moms really seems homophobic as fuck. Like the overarching point of the story seems to be "Oh no my son is gay but it seems to be alright now because there's a nice gay rabbi and some rich successful people fuck other men too"
>>
"Solipsistic, petty, ephemeral, pointless and progandizing kvetching."

NO

""Oh no my son is gay but it seems to be alright now because there's a nice gay rabbi and some rich successful people fuck other men too"

YES

sums her up about right.

the point was that was as nice as she COULD be. She wants me to be financially stable and she was raised in and made a fair bit of money. She imagines being middle class as a sort of earthy purgatory.

And it wasn't like the Temple hired a gay rabbi as a personal favor to me, but seriously, close enough. I remember when I was 19 and a counselor at summer camp a British staff member seriously came up to me and started with "I didn't know they let fags take care of children" which eventually led to a fist-fight that got me fired.
>>
>>8054206
I called her just now to tell her about this thread and how lulls I find it and she was like "oh no the dog is barking too loud for me to hear!" after I told her the comments on her writing were not positive and then hung up.

Still, that's the closest she's come to not being a complete bitch about people who aren't just pretty, rich, and normal. She literally takes West Side story as like inspiration and thinks she's Maria or something like that. She has always lived in this spoiled rich girl fantasy where if you behave and are nice (to their face) people load you up with money, which worked for most of her life.

MMM boomers.

Whatever ten years more of them then we get to rule.
>>
File: arianexttragrande.jpg (151 KB, 900x490) Image search: [Google]
arianexttragrande.jpg
151 KB, 900x490
>>8055087
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBfvF4iULyg

I live under a rock with a blacklight
I'm a dumb pop star in my own right
Started life at age 15, got ahead with fake ID's
If you're with me

Sold my soul to the man with a handshake
Lost control but I don't think it's too late
We're dying young on broadcast news
Forever 21 is cool if I make it

[Pre-Chorus]
Girls, let's put on all of our clothes

[Chorus]
I don't wanna be like american kids
I am not on drugs and I've never been
I don't care about your party, I belong to nobody

Drugs don't work like they did for my parents
I'm not down with the new hit
Cause today I just don't get american kids

[Verse 2]
Last time I told mom that "I love you"
Was the last time I ate food from a drive thru
It never happened like they say
I think my father may be gay but I don't know

So I burned all my shit in a bonfire
All my teen regrets were a trip wire
I should be everything you hate
I should be higher now than space but I'm static

[Pre-Chorus]
Boys, aren't even boys anymore

[Chorus]
I am not on drugs and I've never been
I don't care about your party, I belong to nobody

Drugs don't work like they did for my parents
I'm not down with the new hit
Cause today I just don't get american kids

[Bridge]
Liberty isn't cheap and it ain't free
I'm a millennial blame it all on me
American kids
>>
>>8054206
Also, picture a classic second-wave feminist and she feels that her gender liberating women can do equal parts in religious stuff is actually so modern that's all she needs to be and anything beyond that is intemperate. I'm sure she was very progressive in the 1920's.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.