[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Loved this book. How did others like it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (210 KB, 830x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210 KB, 830x1280
Loved this book. How did others like it?
>>
Definitive Ishiguro Power Ranking:

>Canonical masterpiece tier
The Unconsoled - S

>Beloved classic tier
The Remains of the Day - A+
The Buried Giant - A+

>Delightful intro tier
Cellists - A
Crooner - B

>Flawed but touching tier
Never Let Me Go - B+
>Novel experimentation tier
A Pale View of Hills - B
>Traditionally proficient tier
Artist of the Floating World - B-

>Flawed experimentation tier
When We Were Orphans - C
Nocturne - C
Come Rain or Come Shine - C-
Malvern Hills - C-
>>
>>8048439
Correct, except replace The Unconsoled with RotD
>>
>>8048439

Buried giant was my first ishiguro book i picked up from the bookstore at random after i entered military camp. I fell in love with this novel and thats coming from someone far from the avid reader. Im going to use this list to the fullest
>>
>>8048437
So what's up with this book? I only know that fantasyfags didn't like it because the fantasy aspects are unoriginal.
>>
>>8049414
it got rolled into the super stupid genre vs. literary fiction debate that was all the rage for "journalists" at guardian/new yorker/whatever, and everyone had a retarded comment on it.

thankfully the "genre debate" (kek) seems to have faded in prominence.
>>
>>8049834
Yeah the Guardian shat all over him for not saying it's a fantasy novel. Fair dos though it's fantasy as hell but a solid read
>>
>>8049414
>fantasyfans didn't like it because the fantasy aspects are unoriginal
Kek, I'd bet 2000 netbux that for most of them 'original' would mean blue-skinned orcs, elves with beards, and a Dark Lord who actually dresses in white.
>>
>>8048437
I think it's gorgeous. It introduced me to feels I didn't even know, in a beautiful way.
>>
>>8048439
>>Canonical masterpiece tier
>The Unconsoled - S

/lit/ baiting as an art form. Will not attract pinkos or /pol/ types, but will outrage anyone with the slightest knowledge of contemporary anglo-american /lit/.

>>8048437
Bretty good, but I like it more in retrospect rather than right after I read it. The "fight" with the drago was a real anticlimactic blow to my side.
>>
>>8049414
The setting may be fantasy but the prose, structure, and way it deals with thematic elements are literary.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.